ESPN Handicapper's Picks--week 14

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
These are the picks they announced on their podcast although they are always careful to say the ones they release tomorrow are the official picks. Stanford Steve went on and on about the BG/Akron game, been waiting all year, can't wait, blah, blah. Didn't sound serious even though he said, "I'm serious." Says he will take Clemson and Texas Tech and may take the overs on both games or a teaser or maybe a parlay, will announce tomorrow.

The Bear—Week 14 (0-0) Season (21-17)
Auburn +7
Cal +10
UCLA +3.5
Bear’s Bank Picks— Week 13 (3-0) Season (18-17)

Stanford Steve— Week 14 (0-0) Season (27-21) Best Bet (5-5)

BC +6.5
Bama –29.5
Akron/B Green over 57
Clemson -22 Best Bet

Bill Trocci— Week 14 (0-0) Season (33-25)

Ohio State -23
Texas A&M -7
Indiana +14.5
Clemson -22
Alabama -28.5

Phil Steele-- Week 14 (0-0) Season (22-37)
Akron-2.5 vs Bowling Green State
Eastern Michigan+13.5 vs Western Michigan
Tulane-1.5 vs Memphis

Scott Van Pelt— Week 14 (0-0) Season (34-29)
Kentucky
Ohio U +11.5
Tennessee +17.5x
Fresno St +7
Auburn +6.5
LSU +29.5
Navy +7
Memphis +7s
Pro
Browns +5.5
Texans +3.5

Joey and Jesse Virtual Locks
Joey
(22-5 last year) Week 14 (0-0) Season (11-9)
N Dame/Syracuse Over 51.5
Marshall (-23)
Jesse (16-11 last year) Week 14 (0-0) Season (10-9)
Alabama (-29') Win
Oregon (-9)

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five— Week 13 (0-0) Season (27-31)

My Picks— Week 14 (0-0) Season (39-24)

Clemson -22
Marshall -22x
Bama first half -14
Oklahoma -21x
Oklahoma ML
Strong lean to Oklahoma, will pull the trigger if no covid problems
Lean to BYU, S Jose State, Nevada, W Virginia
No max bets, nothing I’m real strong on like I’ve had the last four or five weeks.
First time this year I've liked more favorites than dogs. W Virginia is the only one that looks good to me.
Have La Tech as first team of a two-team parlay so may pair them with one of the road favorites

Last edited:
I thought bear made some pretty strong cases for the pac-12 dogs he liked. I liked asu coming into the year but they Havnt gotten to play a game since blowing the opener to usc, seems like a pretty tough spot and UCLA has been kinda impressive in a way. I coulda swore they liked Oregon st but then kinda lost steam talking bout them.

Steve rambled on far to long about the MAC shitfest, didn’t get that at all? Feel like he playing that over just cause for some strange reason he has a lot of interest in the game, didn’t seem like he had any strong reasoning or angles as to why he liked it, just that he wanted to watch and that was best he could come up with:

the podcast overall this week was a C at best imo. I know I mention this a lot but it just baffles me how it so good some weeks and other weeks it loaded with bunch of worthless gibberish! This week was a mix of both hence the C grade. Lol.

Surprised BC wasn’t a play as Steve talked them up quite a bit for which I agree. They talked about a few more dogs I thought were solid but don’t appear to have made their cards.

hard to argue the clemson over, Hokies defense is horrid and I think hooker talented enough to run around and score some points in garbage time which Outta be entire second half!

mentioned this somewhere else but they must really be sick of losing with KU. Texas tech is -27? That about as inflated a line ya will ever see but how can ya go against it? I was thinking over 63 might be better than laying that many with a pretty crappy tech team. Ku overs are perfect as fading them has been! Ku brought a kid in at qb last week that appeared to give the offense some juice!! Def lean over stronger than laying it with tech.

Middling acc games I like.

BC +whatever. Was 6 but didn’t get on that. +4 I like still. Long as Jerkovec plays I think they win outright.

ncst -7. Just think they a way better team than gtech and think they roll here.

Steve and Bear revealed their official picks and are posted above

Steve came to his senses and dropped his idea to find some way to bet parlays and teasers with Clemson and over and Texas Tech and over.

Weather is a BIG concern for all games played in the ACC region. Strong storm moving north and ACC country is right in the middle of the path

Some forecasts have it doing the damage Friday and moving further north, but the timing and positioning is still not set

Weather is a BIG concern for all games played in the ACC region. Strong storm moving north and ACC country is right in the middle of the path

Some forecasts have it doing the damage Friday and moving further north, but the timing and positioning is still not set

has me holding off on the BC play. Not sure I wanna be on them in a rain storm.

Why the heck play bama full game when 1st half been so money and they have let off the gas some in second halves? Although I doubt they do that vs lsu I still feel more comfy with 1st half than full game. After all if they don’t cover 1st half I can always get a better number hitting them again at halftime if need be.

Why the heck play bama full game when 1st half been so money and they have let off the gas some in second halves? Although I doubt they do that vs lsu I still feel more comfy with 1st half than full game. After all if they don’t cover 1st half I can always get a better number hitting them again at halftime if need be.

agreed 100%. I really like LSU TT U17 too

Clemson -22 (Every week I bet against V Tech and every week I feel like I'm getting a gift when I look at the line. This week is just like last week when I got a couple of TDs and Pitt. Might add the over in this one since the weather now looks fine except for slight wind)

Blazing 5

rams-3
Philly +8.5
Browns +6
San Fran +1.5
Pats -1 (or whatever it is)

at least he finally back to taking some dogs. This seems like a really tough nfl week to me. Rams seems like a good play, as much I love Murray and what they doing in zona I think they have hit a wall and since Murray got banged up he hasn’t been running which really limits their offense. Rams might be my favorite nfl play of the week (not that saying much! Lol).

I was looking at the rice/Marshall under 45. Not sure rice will score, certainly not more than 10, if they have any chance to stay in it will have to be the defense which I think solid, problem is I think they get exhausted with the offense not helping out.

Added Trocci's picks. He's laying a ton of points on road teams and i understand why

I hate giving points on the road, but I've never seen a week with so many good teams laying big points on the road and they almost all look like the right side to me

Oklahoma is laying big points, but at home. I would already be on them, but I can't find out how severe the covid problem is and how many players are out this week.

I'll see what the announcers say when the telecast comes on. That has been by far the best source of who is playing and who's out

Last edited:
I don’t love the AM play but if anyone so inclined to play them shop around cause I’ve seen plenty of 6.5s this week, no reason to lay -7 there as that could be the difference as I think that game be fairly close. Imo feels like a good time for aggies to get beat and squash the nonsense about them getting to playoff despite not even making conf championship. I get it sucks bama in your division but why do we want to see them lose to bama again? Shouldn’t someone else get a chance to get beat by them? Lol. If auburn wasnt so bad on 3rd down on both sides I’d be all over them, I think red zone be their saving grace tho and will keep that game one possession throughout.

I’ll say this much bout Collin, while we have seen a million tv/radio picker guys fudge numbers over the years id say cowherd never pulls that. I’ve seen him on a favorable line but also seen him on lines he could have gotten much better of over the years.

I will if they pick sides or totals, but some weeks they pick all propositions.

If you happen to watch and get the picks, please post. i record it, but don't always have time to watch
I just listened to Doug K's Podcast "Behind the Bets." Here you go:

1. Doug K: Said he's taking

'Bama minus the points. He did not specify the #. Later in the pod Doug indicated it was -28.5. Preston Johnson said his # was -25 and he is not betting Bama

Boise minus the pts. Same story, he did not give the #. Later he indicated it was -28. Preston Johnson did not like this # either and indicated he's tired of betting Boise

Nevada and then Doug never said another thing

* He also indicated he's inclined to go with KState in the 1st Quarter

2. Then he had a Big Ten guy on that he likes
. ER is the name I think (?). Sorry, I missed it.

Here are his picks, "the number" was never specified:

"Nebraska Purdue OVER the number"

"Indiana Wisconsin UNDER the number."

3. Matt Youmans

KState +10
(said he still likes them at +7)
Indiana +15
Rutgers +11
CAL +?
(missed what his # was)
Stanford "plus the double digits"

4. Preston Johnson

Okie State -2.5

CAL +
(?) I missed it, but line is 9.5 to 10

FWIW - I am on Ok State -2.5 for 2 units, KState ML & +7.5, Rutgers +11 and Clemson -22

I'll see what the announcers say when the telecast comes on. That has been by far the best source of who is playing and who's out

@TahoeLegend If you can get the name of the local writer who covers the team you are trying to find info on, put his name and the word twitter in google and you'll likely find their tweets that will have some info on what players were out there for pregame warmups, late breaking news and that kind of stuff.

Scott Van Pelt— Week 14 (0-0) Season (34-29)
Kentucky
Ohio U +11.5
Tennessee +17.5x
Fresno St +7
Auburn +6.5
LSU +29.5
Navy +7
Memphis +7s

Pro
Browns +5.5
Texans +3.5

Those numbers look off on the Navy and Memphis game.

I just listened to Doug K's Podcast "Behind the Bets." Here you go:

1. Doug K: Said he's taking

'Bama minus the points. He did not specify the #. Later in the pod Doug indicated it was -28.5. Preston Johnson said his # was -25 and he is not betting Bama

Boise minus the pts. Same story, he did not give the #. Later he indicated it was -28. Preston Johnson did not like this # either and indicated he's tired of betting Boise

Nevada and then Doug never said another thing

* He also indicated he's inclined to go with KState in the 1st Quarter

2. Then he had a Big Ten guy on that he likes
. ER is the name I think (?). Sorry, I missed it.

Here are his picks, "the number" was never specified:

"Nebraska Purdue OVER the number"

"Indiana Wisconsin UNDER the number."

3. Matt Youmans

KState +10
(said he still likes them at +7)
Indiana +15
Rutgers +11
CAL +?
(missed what his # was)
Stanford "plus the double digits"

4. Preston Johnson

Okie State -2.5

CAL +
(?) I missed it, but line is 9.5 to 10

FWIW - I am on Ok State -2.5 for 2 units, KState ML & +7.5, Rutgers +11 and Clemson -22

Preston seems like a total douche nozzle to me. The few times I’ve heard him talk it baffles me how he allegedly does this for a living?!?!? I feel like “his number” is just some random number pulled out his ass!!

you just fading Texas with the k-st play? It’s hard to argue ever being against them as favs but man k-st offense has really stunk up the joint since losing their qb a long time ago!! I dunno if it will mean much but gotta figure whomever playing for horns elhinger will drag the best out of as can’t imagine he wants to end his college career any crappier than it gone already!! Lol. Pass for me just curious your thoughts there.

I am on Ok State -2.5 for 2 units, KState ML & +7.5, Rutgers +11 and Clemson -22
I don't trust Okla State. Something's wrong there. Don't know if it's the new OC or if all the uproar started by Hubbard over the shirt has split the team or what, but they are a shadow of what they should be

You K State pick interests me though. I know Ehlinger will be out there giving his all--he;s the Heisman winner if I had a vote--but I don't know if anyone else on the team cares. Herman is dead-coach-walking, every kind of rumor in the world about urban taking over, and they have nothing left to play for and just took a shot to the heart last week. And the amazing part is, change three or four plays during the season and they'd be heading for the Big 12 title game. No doubt K State will be the more fired up team and be playing harder. I'm still thinking about it, but putting my money on a true freshman backup QB has kept me from pulling the trigger and i;ll probably pass

Like the Clemson pick and I'm on them too

Okie lite offense been kinda a mess all year. Are either their top 2 rbs playing? I actually hope not as I want to use the 3rd stringer in a cheap dfs play and he looks pretty talented himself! Actually not sure Chubba and the other one sitting would be a bad thing for them. While the offense has stunk the d has been way better than you ever imagine a okie lite defense being, kinda a shame the offense never figured things out.

Oh, and doesn’t the fact they laying less than a fg to tcu kinda have a fishy smell to it? I can’t imagine tcu gonna be able to score much of anything, freaking Duggan completed 3 passes vs ku last week!! Take his legs away and he not much of a threat.

Tulsa remains Tulsa. They got saved in the Tulane game when the 3rd string QB came in a played better than any TU quarterback has played the last three years.

So Montgomery announced he'll go back to the bench and the starter--probably the most inconsistent QB in college football--will be the starter. But that's Tulsa all the way, No one thought he would do anything else. Tulsa wouldn't be Tulsa under Montgomery if the QB didn't play horrible for a few possessions, then like an all-American for a few.

I have a standing bet with a friend in Tulsa that they will miss a FG attempt every game. I don't think I've lost once this year

I'm not impressed by Navy but I may play them this week. Tulsa has gotten more praise and publicity and pats on the back since the Tulane game than they got the last thee years put together. They got the same treatment N Western got before they played Michigan State. And they have Cincinnati next week (I already bet that one at Cincinnati -3 and will make it a max bet unless Cincinnati has covid problems)

Last edited:
I don't trust Okla State. Something's wrong there. Don't know if it's the new OC or if all the uproar started by Hubbard over the shirt has split the team or what, but they are a shadow of what they should be

You K State pick interests me though. I know Ehlinger will be out there giving his all--he;s the Heisman winner if I had a vote--but I don't know if anyone else on the team cares. Herman is dead-coach-walking, every kind of rumor in the world about urban taking over, and they have nothing left to play for and just took a shot to the heart last week. And the amazing part is, change three or four plays during the season and they'd be heading for the Big 12 title game. No doubt K State will be the more fired up team and be playing harder. I'm still thinking about it, but putting my money on a true freshman backup QB has kept me from pulling the trigger and i;ll probably pass

Like the Clemson pick and I'm on them too
here are my "reasons" and they may be worth zero

Ok State Offense should be able to cover 2.5 all else being equal. I agree they are a shadow of what they should be. I think the number stinks and I feel like a sucker, but there it is. Also, TCU is not the TCU we have seen in other years. I know they had some 2nd strings in last week in 2H but they let Kansas get what 23 in 2H? They have lost to Iowas State, OU and KState at home and lost on the road to WVa. Their wins have been against 2nd tier teams (other than Texas, which has shown itself to be 2nd tier).

I'm a Texas grad. My "gut" tells me they are flat. You mentioned what is going on. Did you see Ehlinger's interview after game last week? He almost was critical of the coaching...not quite but he came close. Texas as a favorite is horrible. They travel to Manhattan and I'll take my chances

Blazing 5

rams-3
Philly +8.5
Browns +6
San Fran +1.5
Pats -1 (or whatever it is)

at least he finally back to taking some dogs. This seems like a really tough nfl week to me. Rams seems like a good play, as much I love Murray and what they doing in zona I think they have hit a wall and since Murray got banged up he hasn’t been running which really limits their offense. Rams might be my favorite nfl play of the week (not that saying much! Lol).

Oops, sorry, didn't see this.

TCU is not the TCU we have seen in other years.
You are right about that. They play a lot of teams tough when you don';t expect them to, but their record has not been that good. One of the local Okla State beat writers wrote this week that of the 10 years they've been in the conference they've only been above .500 in conference game three times. I didn't check to see, but my guess is that's correct.

Last edited:
Tulsa remains Tulsa. They got saved in the Tulane game when the 3rd string QB came in a played better than any TU quarterback has played the last three years.

So Montgomery announced he'll go back to the bench and the starter--probably the most inconsistent QB in college football--will be the starter. But that's Tulsa all the way, No one thought he would do anything else. Tulsa wouldn't be Tulsa under Montgomery if the QB didn't play horrible for a few possessions, then like an all-American for a few.

I have a standing bet with a friend in Tulsa that they will miss a FG attempt every game. I don't think I've lost once this year

I'm not impressed by Navy but I may play them this week. Tulsa has gotten more praise and publicity and pats on the back since the Tulane game than they got the last thee years put together. They got the same treatment N Western got before they played Michigan State. And they have Cincinnati next week (I already bet that one at Cincinnati -3 and will make it a max bet unless Cincinnati has covid problems)

i used to love tulsa as a dog, have pretty much ignored them since the second week in the year now that they have turned into favs. That funny about the missed Fgs. I wanted to like navy but ugh, they not a easy team to like this year, they still haven’t figured out a offense that works by now without Perry being a one man show for last several years. Navy d hasn’t been good either and i do worry bout the fact tulsa been their whipping boys for several years, gotta think that enough to keep them from looking ahead.

holy cow, cincy only -3? That crazy.

Preston seems like a total douche nozzle to me. The few times I’ve heard him talk it baffles me how he allegedly does this for a living?!?!? I feel like “his number” is just some random number pulled out his ass!!

you just fading Texas with the k-st play? It’s hard to argue ever being against them as favs but man k-st offense has really stunk up the joint since losing their qb a long time ago!! I dunno if it will mean much but gotta figure whomever playing for horns elhinger will drag the best out of as can’t imagine he wants to end his college career any crappier than it gone already!! Lol. Pass for me just curious your thoughts there.
I agree...he can talk faster than the guy that gives the side effects in a Pharma commercial

you just fading Texas with the k-st play?
It’s hard to argue ever being against them as favs but man k-st offense has really stunk up the joint since losing their qb a long time ago!! I dunno if it will mean much but gotta figure whomever playing for horns elhinger will drag the best out of as can’t imagine he wants to end his college career any crappier than it gone already!! Lol. Pass for me just curious your thoughts there.
primarily

It's hard to know how good the guys are on Daily Wager. I just now had time to watch it. They make a lot of picks, but don't keep track of them. They do keep track of the daily Best Bet, but they only run the results the next day. They to a job of throwing a lot of facts out for both sides and that's good enough for a betting show.

Tonight the bad haircut guy--sorry I don't know their names yet--but he's the one who sits at the desk with Kezerian, took Ohio State and Clemson, beard guy took Mich State (they said he took MSU ML when they played Michigan).

The thing they showed that baffles me is the one sided percentages of money and of tickets on a couple of the big games. In the Clemson game 89% of the tickets, and 94% of the money is on Clemson. Alabama has 94% of the money, 82% of the tickets

Why would a publicly traded company, held to fiduciary duty standards, profit from having all the money on one side. Tickets, yeah, fine doesn't matter as long as the money is even. How does a company in a business that relies on minor risk. long-term mathematical certainty, wind up gambling?

On the Tulsa statements above, I think Tulsa is a good team, damn good defense. best defensive player in the country in Collins, and Montgomery is a good coach. They just have a style they play every game and it's always disaster after disaster.

The Tulane game was the perfect example. QB threw two passes only a blind man would throw, both inside his own 20, one pick 6, returned to the one-yard line on the other. All in the first three minutes.

Team slowly fights back, QB still a blind man, finally drives down for a chip shot FG just before half. Kicker misses FG. Happens game after game, sometime on the very last play, and just when it is most important, the kicker misses. I'm sure Montgomery has had his kicker miss more game deciding kicks than any other coach.

Late in the game the QB suddenly throws a beautiful laser from 40 yards out for a TD. Team rallies, wins in overtime. Third straight game they came back to win from 14 or more down. Third straight game they had two or more interceptions, third straight game they missed a kick, third straight they had first and goal and turned the ball over after running the same fullback plunge four times. And in one of those games the did it twice. And on consecutive possessions.

Montgomery is an interesting coach. Low profile, worked his way up from Texas high school coach to the college level. No money, few resources, smallest student body in the FBS, tiny alum base, but he gets by. He just does it the hard way

Last edited:
Added Phil Steele's picks. Only 3 this week, and i don't think he's picked any of them all season. Kind of unusual to see a guy in Week 14 picking three teams he hasn't bet all year

Added Phil Steele's picks. Only 3 this week, and i don't think he's picked any of them all season. Kind of unusual to see a guy in Week 14 picking three teams he hasn't bet all year

that is strange., I don’t really notice that about others but I’m def locked into certain teams or conf by this point and often play on/against many the same teams I been playing. He def went to bottom the barrel for few of those! Just trying to do anything to change it up, lol.

ESPN+ picks this week

Doug Kezirian (0-2 last week, 29-22 overall), Bill Connelly (1-1, 15-17), Preston Johnson (0-3, 22-17), David M. Hale (1-1, 15-17) and Seth Walder (1-0, 5-7) will provide their top plays across the college football landscape.

Here are their best bets for Week 14 of the college football season.

Note: Lines from Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill as of Wednesday (unless otherwise indicated).

_end_rule.png

i
i

No. 5 Texas A&M Aggies (-7, 48.5) at Auburn Tigers, Noon ET (on ESPN)​

Walder: I think there's a little inflation here due to the Aggies' selection committee ranking. A big factor in the committee's ranking system is résumé. A win is a win in the standings, but how that win happened is critical for predicting future performance. A&M's three-point win over Florida earned it more clout in terms of strength of record than it did in FPI, and its five-point win over Vanderbilt is considered a negative by FPI. The Aggies have been the 13th-most efficient team this season, after accounting for opponent strength and garbage time, but FPI gives them a bit more credit because of preseason expectations and ranks them ninth.

Meanwhile, that preseason prior is keeping Auburn afloat at No. 15 in FPI's rankings. But there's reason for that: Even this far into the season, what we thought about teams in the preseason has predictive power. Altogether, FPI thinks the Tigers should be one-point favorites rather than underdogs by a touchdown.

Pick: Auburn +7

i
i

No. 15 Oklahoma State Cowboys (-2.5, 51) at TCU Horned Frogs, Noon ET (on ESPN2)​

Hale: The Horned Frogs are one of those teams that the more you watch, the less you like. There's very little identity on offense, and the 4-4 record masks the real story. The offense struggled badly against West Virginia, Oklahoma, Kansas State and Baylor, and the Cowboys' D is better than any of those. Home field hasn't been much help for TCU (1-3), and Oklahoma State is 8-1 in its past nine when the spread is a field goal or less in either direction. Bottom line: The Pokes are a far better team, and they have something to play for. That's easily worth laying the 2.5.

Pick: Oklahoma State -2.5

Johnson: This point spread is puzzling to me. For starters, TCU head coach Gary Patterson told everybody that his team was missing more than 30 guys because of COVID-19 and injuries last week against Kansas. On the surface, TCU covered the game anyway, and everything seemed fine. But when you recognize that the Horned Frogs scored three defensive or special-teams touchdowns to make the score appear more acceptable against this hapless Jayhawks team, it might be cause for concern. My projection for this game is Oklahoma State -5, and though the Cowboys' defense hasn't been as stout its past two games against Oklahoma and Texas Tech, they still grade top-25 in EPA and success rate on that side of the ball. The TCU offense isn't nearly on par with what those other squads bring to the field. I expect to see the Cowboys' defense rebound in a cover on anything lined under a field goal.

Pick: Oklahoma State -2.5

i
i

Texas Longhorns (-7, 51.5) at Kansas State Wildcats, Noon ET (on FS2)​

Kezirian: Kansas State is not a good football team and would certainly classify as an "ugly dog" this weekend. The Wildcats have lost four straight games, including a 45-0 thrashing at Iowa State. However, this is all about Texas and its lack of motivation. The Longhorns were in the hunt for a spot in the Big 12 Championship game but blew a fourth-quarter lead last week at home to the Cyclones. It was a heartbreaking defeat for a Longhorns team that had high aspirations in Sam Ehlinger's final home game. Now they travel to the Little Apple and face a K-State team that figures to be much more excited for this game. The better talent of the Longhorns may eventually win out over the course of four quarters, but I like the Wildcats to have the edge in the first quarter.

Pick: Kansas State +1.5 first quarter (at DraftKings)

i
i

Eastern Michigan Eagles at Western Michigan Broncos (-13.5, 65), 2 p.m. ET (on ESPN+)​

Connelly: First, SP+ has been awfully dialed in with Eastern Michigan games this season, missing the scoring margins by an average of just 3.6 points per game and going 4-0 ATS. Second, Western Michigan has overachieved against both the spread and SP+ projections by a healthy amount so far. The SP+ projection is Western Michigan by 19.0, so if the odds are good that the Broncos overachieve that, I'm feeling pretty good about this pick.

Western Michigan's offense has been absolutely dynamite, averaging 45 points per game. The Broncos lost their focus a bit midgame against Northern Illinois last week, but they rallied to score twice and win. Eastern Michigan's offense is decent in its own right, but the Eagles' defense is miserable. I'd be surprised if WMU is held under 40.

Pick: Western Michigan -13.5

i
i

No. 24 Tulsa Golden Hurricane (-12, 49.5) at Navy Midshipmen, 3:30 p.m. ET (on ESPN2)​

Connelly: This pick makes me a bit queasy from a "Tulsa plays in only close games" perspective. Only one of the Golden Hurricane's six games to date has been decided by double digits. That one game was against the worst opponent on Tulsa's schedule (USF, 110th per SP+), and Tulsa won easily.

Navy is 107th. The SP+ projections have been pretty dialed in on Navy, too, missing the past five Midshipmen games by an average of seven points per game. It's at 8.2 points per game for the past three Tulsa games as well. It seems to have a good read on these two teams, and it projects a 15.1-point Tulsa advantage on average (34.8-19.7). Tulsa has some potential QB injury issues to worry about -- first-stringer Zach Smith and second-stringer Seth Boomer both exited the Tulane game because of injuries. Smith's status is unclear, but if nothing else, third-stringer Davis Brin looked awesome in the game. Between that and the fact that Navy's offense just hasn't executed well this season for the most part, give me Tulsa.

Pick: Tulsa -12

i
i

No. 23 Oregon Ducks at California Golden Bears (+10, 59), 7 p.m. ET (on ESPN)​

Johnson: I can't disregard what Cal has done to this point, despite its 0-3 record. The Bears dealt with a COVID-19 pause in their first two scheduled games and then added UCLA on a whim in a Sunday matchup with a limited roster. They hadn't been practicing in full and weren't prepared. It showed. Head coach Justin Wilcox turned things around in matchups against Oregon State and Stanford. The Bears lost those two games by a combined five points, despite outgaining the opponent in each game. I think at this point, we can expect the Cal team that we all projected entering the season: one that was 7-0 under quarterback Chase Garbers last season.

Combined with the bounce-back narrative surrounding Oregon after the Ducks lost outright in their rivalry game to Oregon State, I think we are getting a fairly good buy-low opportunity on the Bears (I project this game closer to +7.). The Ducks lost to the Beavers for a reason, and it was that their defense gave up 532 yards. Their defense as a whole this season ranks outside the top 100 in both EPA and success rate. If there is one defensive mind in the Pac-12 that can slow an admittedly elite Oregon offense, it's Wilcox's. Give me the 10 points.

Pick: Cal +10

i
i

Florida Atlantic Owls +2.5 at Georgia Southern Eagles (-2.5, 42), 6 p.m. ET (on ESPN+)​

Hale: After witnessing 21 games of sheer misery during his time at Florida State, it was tough to get too excited about the Willie Taggart era at FAU. But the truth is the Owls have been good. Admittedly, the competition hasn't been much, but they played Marshall tough, and though the offense has been up and down, the defense looks really good. FAU ranks seventh nationally in yards-per-play allowed and has given up the second-lowest rate of explosive plays in the country. All of that provides a good lead-up to the big news on the other sideline, as Georgia Southern just fired offensive coordinator Bob DeBesse. The total on this game is 42, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go under, but I feel better about FAU winning this one outright.

Pick: FAU +2.5

i
i

No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide (-29.5, 67.5) at LSU Tigers, 8 p.m. ET (on CBS)​

Connelly: The line basically approximates a 49-19 Alabama win. It isn't difficult to see Alabama scoring 49, though LSU's defense has improved the past couple of games. But how in the world is LSU going to score 19? The Tigers scored 18 combined against Auburn and Texas A&M, their quarterback is going to be Sketchy Freshman A or Sketchy Freshman B, and the Crimson Tide have allowed just more than eight points per game their past four games. The only way this game goes over is if Alabama's defense takes its eye off the ball or Alabama's offense scores 60-plus. The latter wouldn't be amazingly surprising, but I'm skeptical.

Pick: Under 67.5

Kezirian: You know that cliché about rivalry games and throwing out the records? It does not apply here. LSU is as bad as its 3-4 record indicates, racking up those three wins against SEC cellar-dwellers (with a combined five wins). The offense is painful to watch. Quarterback TJ Finley seems to have regressed. He completed just nine of 25 passes last week against Texas A&M and was rightfully replaced by Max Johnson. Ed Orgeron should start Johnson, but it really doesn't matter. The Tigers will not score much, and I do not see how they will slow down Alabama's offensive juggernaut.

Garbage time might play a role, but I think Bama can overcome that wild card. Let me put it this way: Bama just won the Iron Bowl by 29 points. Auburn beat LSU by 37 points. I realize that handicapping involves more than the transitive property of common opponents, but this could be an absolute bloodbath because I wonder how much fight some LSU players have left.

Pick: Alabama -29.5

i
i

Fresno State Bulldogs at Nevada Wolf Pack (-7, 59), 10:30 p.m. ET (on FS1)​

Kezirian: I backed the Wolf Pack last week and regretted it as soon as they allowed Hawaii to covert a third-and-15 just before halftime. I was doomed. However, I have to run it back because I have been itching to fade Fresno State. The Bulldogs' 4-1 record is phony. Two of their wins came against lowly UNLV and Utah State. Another came against Hawaii, which is a much different team on the mainland, and then the Bulldogs beat Colorado State before Steve Addazio figured out that he was playing the wrong quarterback.

Following their first loss, Nevada players are saying all the right things. They seem to grasp the importance of this game and concede that they need a better mindset than they had against Hawaii. Plus, the team stayed Saturday night in Honolulu rather than flying out immediately after the game. That allowed the players' bodies to recover more effectively.

Pick: Nevada -7

Added:
Marshall -22x
Bama first half -14
Strong lean to Oklahoma, will pull the trigger if no covid problems. Night game so there should be some information by then
Lean to BYU, S Jose State, Nevada

Last edited:
I want to ignore sjst issues with practicing and having to move game to Hawaii and play them anyways cause I think they the much better team. I would have been all over them laying less than 7 at home, just have to decide if the circumstances gonna hurt them? If not that line a gift, just not sure what to expect from the cali teams who been displaced.

Back