ESPN Handicapper's picks--Week 1

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Don't have time to look up how these cappers finished in 2018. If I have time I'll add that.

These picks were made before extent of Hurricane impact on the SE coast is known. I heard this morning they are changing the site of FSU/Boise to Tallahasse. A lot of other games could be affected as well

The Bear
Utah at BYU – BYU (+6.5) Lose
Utah St at Wake Forest – Wake Forest (-3.5)
E Mich at Coastal Car – C Caro (+6.5)
Ga Southern at LSU – Ga Southern (+27.5)
Syracuse at Liberty – Liberty (+18)

Stanford Steve

Utah St at Wake Forest – Wake Forest (-3.5)
Virginia Tech at Boston College – BC (+5) Best Bet
Toledo at Kentucky – Under (61.5)
Northwestern at Stanford – Northwestern (+6.5)
FL Atlantic at Ohio St – Over (63.5)

Phil Steele
Toledo at Kentucky – Toledo (+12)
Mississippi St vs ULL – ULL (+20)
MTSU at Michigan – Michigan (-34)
N Mex St at Wash St – N Mex St (+31.5)
Boise St at Florida St – Florida St (-4.5)

Scott Van Pelt
(His all-time record on picks on ESPN is 217-195-8, 52.6))
Nevada +11
Liberty +18
Georgia Southern +27x
Ole Miss +5x
E Carolina +17

My Picks
(one unit)
Cincinnati -2x (given up on Chip Kelly) win
Clemson/GT over win
Nevada/Purdue over 58
Fla State -4x
BC +4x

Good luck to all you pickers

Last edited:
I think they all finished in the black last year and all of them showed they can get on a hot streak.

I don't know of any TV pickers who are better than these guys.

Stanford Steve has been the best of them over the last 3 years and he gets on streaks where he's clocking 75% winners.

Scott Van Pelt wins some and loses some and I think he finished .500 last year, but I don't take him seriously as a handicapper.

Another reason I like them is they play straight with their lines. Unlike a lot of touts and TV pickers who come up with magic numbers the rest of us never get, these guys play the same lines we have to.

Last edited:
I could never follow svp, he actually one of few personalities left on ESPN I like but his capping strategy is nutty, basically always take the ugliest shit team assuming books don’t give out gifts, lol. Which I been saying for years “Sharp/square” basically flipping a coin these days and his numbers back that up for most part.

Steve definately seems to be more knowledgable than most the tv picker types. I’ve followed him a few times over the years in any given week when he been hot.

i like to follow along w/ Clay Travis picks, i cant remember the name of his TV show.

That the one on fs1 where it him and few other panelist, comedian and the so called “pro” who a clown? Chick host it? “Lock it in”? Hate that show, lol. Watched it initially when it came on but couldn’t keep interested.

Think that clay Travis on there but could be wrong??

That the one on fs1 where it him and few other panelist, comedian and the so called “pro” who a clown? Chick host it? “Lock it in”? Hate that show, lol. Watched it initially when it came on but couldn’t keep interested.

Think that clay Travis on there but could be wrong??

He is on there, but I haven't followed him on there at all. He posts his weekly picks on Outkickthecoverage. This week he has 17 picks.

He is on there, but I haven't followed him on there at all. He posts his weekly picks on Outkickthecoverage. This week he has 17 picks.

They all seemed pretty terrible on that show but as I said I didn’t watch enough to know how bad or good he really was. Just listening to and judging off the plays he made those few times I’d have bet he kinda sucks. Lol

Adding Nevada/Purdue over 58

Might as well bet on the closest FBS teams to score some points. I know Rondale Moore will score in the mid 20s himself.

Added BC +4x. I think Dillon is the best RB in college football, but the famed BC defense was a no-show last year. Maybe they'll be back this year.

That's probably it for Week 1, but I have a lean to Auburn and I like the over in Syracuse/Liberty so might wind up adding those two.

Last edited:
Added BC +4x. I think Dillon is the best RB in college football, but the famed BC defense was a no-show last year. Maybe they'll be back this year.

That's probably it for Week 1, but I have a lean to Auburn and might wind up taking that one.
Maybe not the best, but dude is a BEAST.

Back