ESPN Handicapper's Bowl Picks

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Steve and Bear spent at least some time on their podcast on every bowl game. They discussed a lot of leans and said they would take some teams if the line hit a certain number but had few sure bets.

They said even with ESPN resources they were unable to keep up with opt-outs and covid problems so didn’t have strong feelings on any and would not bet any until the broadcast came on and they found out who was playing and who was out (same strategy I use and it saved me a lot of money during the year).

I’ll go through my notes later and add any useful details, but here are their picks (none official until their column comes out)

Bear:
Georgia
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Iowa State

Stanford Steve:
Miami +2.5 Bet and ML
WV -7
Bama/N Dame o 66
Iowa State
Strong lean to Ohio State and over in that game

Bill Trocci: ( Season—42-31)
Oklahoma +3
Cincinnati +7
Alabama -20
Clemson -7.5
Oregon +4.5
Texas A&M -7.5

Last edited:
Added Trocci's picks. He had the best record of any of them during the season. The line he got on Oklahoma is no longer available but was available for the last week, but so much money has come in on Oklahoma they are now the favorite and the line seems to go up every hour or so

I got the +3, but it was more an alumni bet than real handicapping. I'm sitting out the bowl season except for a few parlays

Bill Trocci: ( Season—42-31)
Oklahoma +3
Cincinnati +7
Alabama -20
Clemson -7.5
Oregon +4.5
Texas A&M -7.5

As much I hate hearing covid excuses that is valid. I missed the good number on sooners cause of same reason. Just can’t pull trigger early without taking huge risk of being dead in water with awful number if you bet early!!

I fell asleep and missed huge part of podcast but woke up and heard Steve give very un logical reasons for liking osu. Bear seemed to be trying to push him in over direction instead of taking osu. It was funny cause he asked bear to give him team totals guess and when he said osu 30.5 (think that what he said) Steve was like “oh shit, sounded better than it looks on paper”, “I dunno if they get there”, lol.

They both seemed super high on iowa state which i totally agree with. No matter what happens there I Feel like we will without a doubt get isu best effort! No worrying bout motivation their imo.

The podcast didn't feature much handicapping, just speculation and no real betting interest in any of their picks except Steve was hot for the Bama/N Dame over and expects N Dame to score their share

i think Steve wanted badly to like both playoff dogs but at least with osu didn’t have much a case other than his “feelings”. I didn’t hear them discuss the Bama game.

They both seemed to like Kentucky. I’ll give them that, I still havnt capped it but I leaned ncst and they brought up points that has me doubting that one. Maybe I would have figured that out once I dug in, maybe not. Def gave me more to think about when I do get around to it!!

Why bet a +2.5 line and money line? Doesnt make a whole bunch of sense to me. Obviously I know canes lost by 3 but not really they point. Just not a number I’m likely to split my bet up on. I either want the points or not. Not as much with ncaa but I’m far more inclined to take ml then tease the +2,5 up to 8.5.

The podcast didn't feature much handicapping, just speculation and no real betting interest in any of their picks except Steve was hot for the Bama/N Dame over and expects N Dame to score their share
Haha I can't wait to get on ND tt under, already on game under and I know Bama defense isn't what it's been in the past by a long way but have a hard time they don't show up in this

Here's Trocci's comments on his Oregon pick. I agree, it's an interesting story

"Cool storyline for teams with a pedestrian combined record of 12-5 — both starting QBs return to their home state of Arizona and resume an epic high school rivalry. Iowa State’s Brock Purdy went to Perry High in Gilbert and faced Oregon’s Tyler Shough at Hamilton High in Chandler four times. Perry’s Purdy beat Hamilton’s Shough in all four, with two of the final scores being- 65-63 and 63-60. This one has a chance to be just as close as the teams are evenly matched. Taking the points in a close game.

Why bet a +2.5 line and money line? Doesnt make a whole bunch of sense to me. Obviously I know canes lost by 3 but not really they point. Just not a number I’m likely to split my bet up on. I either want the points or not. Not as much with ncaa but I’m far more inclined to take ml then tease the +2,5 up to 8.5.
In college it's only 10 cents to buy to 3, I have zero issues taking 3 and ML for a fraction

Here's Trocci's comments on his Oregon pick. I agree, it's an interesting story

"Cool storyline for teams with a pedestrian combined record of 12-5 — both starting QBs return to their home state of Arizona and resume an epic high school rivalry. Iowa State’s Brock Purdy went to Perry High in Gilbert and faced Oregon’s Tyler Shough at Hamilton High in Chandler four times. Perry’s Purdy beat Hamilton’s Shough in all four, with two of the final scores being- 65-63 and 63-60. This one has a chance to be just as close as the teams are evenly matched. Taking the points in a close game.

you like ducks too? Man, I kinda agreed with Steve and bear thinking ducks gonna run into a freight train. Think isu one the bigger locks when it comes to knowing what we gonna get, motivational wise, not necessarily score/outcome wise!

Haha I can't wait to get on ND tt under, already on game under and I know Bama defense isn't what it's been in the past by a long way but have a hard time they don't show up in this

Trask had to make some lights out thread the needle throws against bama. I dunno Book can make those? Actually I don’t think he can, certainly not consistently.

you like ducks too?
No, I don't trust Oregon. Or any Pac-12 team for that matter. The only interesting thing I see about Oregon is they are getting points. But I'm no good at guessing who is going to be up for bowl games, which is why I'm sitting it out except for a few parlays to make watching the game more interesting.

Last edited:
No, I don't trust Oregon. Or any Pac-12 team for that matter. The only interesting thing I see about Oregon is they are getting points. But I'm no good at guessing who is going to be up for bowl games, which is why I'm sitting it out except for a few parlays to make watching the game more interesting.

i think isu the type of team who isn’t really used to success so will come in motivated to show out against who i suppose is the pac12 champ? Lol

That Casey Thompson who came off the bench and lit it up for the Longhorns last night is the son of one of Barry Switzer's greatest wishbone QBs, Charles Thompson.

Charles Thompson was the fastest and quickest of all OU wishbone QBs, but is probably better remembered by most people as the guy who drove the last nail in Barry's coffin when he was arrested for cocaine dealing and featured on the cover of SI in his jailhouse orange.

Looks like the son inherited plenty of talent from dad.

OU recruited him in a half-hearted way because they had Mayfield and Kyler Murray stacked at the position, but he looked like he may bring plenty to the QB position for the Horns

Last edited:
That Casey Thompson who came off the bench and lit it up for the Longhorns last night is the son of one of Barry Switzer's greatest wishbone QBs, Charles Thompson.

Charles Thompson was the fastest and quickest of all OU wishbone QBs, but is probably better remembered by most people as the guy who drove the last nail in Barry's coffin when he was arrested for cocaine dealing and featured on the cover of SI in his jailhouse orange.

Looks like the son inherited plenty of talent from dad.

OU recruited him in a half-hearted way, because they had Mayfield and Kyler Murray stacked up at the position, but he looked like he may bring plenty to the QB position for the Horns
Had Texas TT O36.5 and thought it was a loser at Half with Sam out. But that kid lit it up - looked much better than Sam. Will be interesting if Sam decides to come back.

Back