EPL Oct 6 to 7 Plays from North of the Border

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Record: 49-42-8 +$883.75
Totals 11-10-2
Big Plays: 3-2

That Monday game saved me and helped me stay on profit for another week. There are only 2 games on Saturday while the rest are on Sunday. Mixed it up a little. I"m quite honestly not fond of the Saturday games. Right now I'm in a rush and haven't had enough time. Man Utd vs Wigan is a waste of time. I really am not going to spend anymore money on hoping Man Utd will pistol whip their opponents. Too man 1-0 Wins to really spend any sort of juice on. Aston Villa vs West Ham will be the battle of the claret and blue. Both squads have European aspirations but Villa being at home have an advantage. Fans from both sides do not like each other but the way West Ham plays on the road these days....i'd say a very slim win for Villa. So no bet for today's matches.

Mind you that next week will be Euro Qualifiers so a lot of teams are willing to go all out this week. Sorry for the very short blurb, lots to do over here, but will be back later tonite for the Sunday games.

Arsenal vs Sunderland
Arsenal 1.16
Draw 7.00
Sunderland 19.00

Arsenal are steam rolling every team that they have faced this season. Games like these should be an automatic 3 points for Arsene Wenger's men. All cylinders flying taking top spot before the International break will be a confidence boost just incase any of their current players pick up any unfortunate injuries. Sunderland have been very competitive the last few games, scrapping by and frustrating opposition. However, the injuries that continue to mount will soon take its toll. Arsenal have their fair share of injuries, however they have good cover. Emmanuel Adebayor has been on a tear since returning from injury and will be upfront with Robin van Persie because Eduardo da Silva is out with an injury. The only bad news Arsenal will have is that Jens Lehmann is now back in training......i think Almunia has been an excellent keeper and it will be interesting to see how Wenger reacts when Lehmann is fully fit. Almunia is gunning for a 6th successive clean sheet and he should get it here against Sunderland at the Emirates. Should see another fine display from Arsenal but the handicap price is slowly rising. Arsenal know they will win this game and should not have any reason to blitz. Just get the 3 points, there is no one to prove. Sunderland may very well be a nuisance here though in the end i think the quality will show and Sunderland could falter.
Bet: NO BET
Prediction:
Arsenal 3-1 Sunderland
Goal Scores:
Arsenal, Emmanuel Adebayor, Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie Sunderland, Michael Chopra

Reading vs Derby Kickoff 9:00am EST
Reading 1.72
Draw 3.60
Derby 5.00

Reading were involved in an 11 goal match last week vs Portsmouth. Having been competitive in the first half and hanging around, the defense faltered and the lack of discipline would be uncharacteristic for a Steve Coppell team. Nevertheless, the Royals must move on and continue to push clear out of the relegation zone. Facing a team like Derby at home is will be a welcome situation considering Derby have yet to score a single goal on the road in 4 games this season. The Rams will be lifted that midfielder Giles Barnes is back in condition to play but not 100% he will be a feature in today's match but most likely not the 90mins. He is a creative spark for the midfield, something Derby had been missing earlier on in the season. No fresh injuries for either side, so both will be looking to field the same squad from last week but Steve Coppell will want a much more defensive output from his squad. From starting the season playing very well, Reading's defense is starting to tire out, it could be age and the injuries. I am starting to think Derby could pull some strings together with Kenny Miller upfront. I don't see the Rams defending against Reading when they know these are the sort of games and teams they need to beat if they want to move up on the ladder. A win here and Derby will be off the bottom. The possibility of that happening is unlikely but I think they will give it a good go so i'm liking the chances Derby gets a goal here.
Bet: Both teams to score @ 1.83 $300 to win $249
Prediction: Reading 2-1 Derby
Goal Scorers: Reading, Shane Long, Dave Kitson Derby, Kenny Miller

Blackburn vs Birmingham 10:00am EST
Blackburn 1.72
Draw 3.60
Birmingham 5.00

Blackburn were knocked out of the UEFA Cup this week. This comes as a shock considering the form the Rovers have been on. However, an early defeat in Greece cost the team and they weren't able to bounce back. Now they will soley focus on climbing the ladder in the EPL. Birmingham have been very inconsistent especially on the scoring front, they have yet to score a goal in the last 3 matches. They were beaten 3-0 at Ewood Park during Carling Cup play and I expect the same situation. Blackburn are still without their captain Ryan Nielsen but after his first missed game, the team has been able to adjust and are making another fine run. A win here could see Mark Hughes' men in 5th spot before going into the international break. The squad is capable of putting some positive results even though they aren't the highest scoring team. However, the Rovers have quality. They are a very hard working side and do not require one player to make up the entire plays. Very similar to Arsenal of team coherence, i think Birmingham will have a very difficult task to avenge their 3-0 defeat but maybe get a goal this time around.
Bet: Blackburn ML @ 1.72 $300 to win $216
Prediction: Blackburn 1-0 Birmingham
Goal Scorer: Blackburn, David Bentley

Manchester City vs Middlesbrough Kickoff 10:00am EST
Manchester City 1.66
Draw 3.60
Middlesbrough 5.00

Manchester City have been on fire at home. Winners of all 4 home encounters this season, they look to make it 5 in a row against one of the worse road teams in the league. Elano and Martin Petrov have just been sensational the past few weeks. Even though City's striker options are depleted these 2 playmakers are making a name for themselves in the premiership, bagging goals and just providing a lot of skill and vision. City's defense is one of the best in the league. Still very young and extremely versatile. The only real question is in net where preseason #1 Andreas Isaksson is now fit and can feature in the squad. However, manager Sven Goran Eriksson had opted to start Kasper Schmeichel in all games except the last one vs Newcastle. So there could be a dilemma building up soon. Middlesbrough need to find a new physio or better condition players because they are having another injury build up. First it was their defense that was crippled, now its their offense. Julio Arca and Jeremie Aliadiere are both out of the match but Mido, Tuncay and Lee Dong Gook are questionable and will be either a late inclusion or exclusion. For a team that has a hard time on the road to lose more key players is not a good sign. I think the home form will prove to be the difference maker either though history has shown Middlesbrough do enjoy playing in Manchester only losing once in the last 6 matches vs City. But lets face it, Manchester City is a different squad stacked with talent. The midfield is overwhelming superior to that of Middlesbrough and they should be able to hold enough possession to create the chances for lone striker Emile Mpenza to pounce on. This is one of my big bets this week
Bet: Manchester City -0.75 @ 1.85 $500 to win $425
Prediction:
Manchester City 2-0 Middlesbrough
Goal Scorers: Manchester City, Elano, Martin Petrov

Bolton vs Chelsea Kickoff 10:00am EST
Bolton 5.50
Draw 3.60
Chelsea 1.66

Chelsea are coming off a fantastic midweek win against Valencia in Spain. Considering the circumstances at the club, that win was a huge confidence booster with all the drama in the backroom and the player injuries. They now face Bolton in hopes to get back on track in the EPL. Even though Didier Drogba is suspended, this provides a chance for either Pizzaro, Shevchenko or Kalou to step up. Drogba's injury has made him a tad bit slower so a fresh face could be welcomed. John Terry will be available even though he suffered a broken cheekbone, the captain will be wearing a face mask. Bolton are looking for only their 2nd win of the season. Still rather unconvincing in league play the only positives Bolton have had this season has been in the UEFA Cup. If they can transfer their form there to the EPL perhaps they could get something. But lets not kid ourselves, the UEFA Cup in the early rounds do not produce fantastic football. Chelsea are a different class to Rabotnicki, this is a great opportunity for Chelsea to get back in the hunt for the EPL before the international break. Chelsea have won 4 straight encounters at the Reebok even though it was Big Sam Allardyce's teams I cannot see Sammy Lee doing anything different. Yes Avram Grant is not the greatest managers but the quality is apparent and Chelsea must respond to the boo boys and get some flow.
Bet: Chelsea -0.75 @ 1.90 $300 to win $270
Prediction:
Bolton 0-2 Chelsea
Goal Scorers: Chelsea, Joe Cole, Salomon Kalou

Newcastle vs Everton Kickoff 10:00am EST
Newcastle 2.00
Draw 3.30
Everton 4.00

Newcastle have lost 2 in a row including a Carling Cup exit. On the road, they are just a bad squad, but at St James' Park, they certainly know how to put a great show. Conceeding just 1 goal in the 3 home games thus far, they will look to take advantage of home play against Everton. The Toffees are coming off a dramatic midweek win in the UEFA Cup. They are a much better squad when either Tim Cahill or Mikel Arteta are commanding the attack. Their problem this season has been their inconsistency from the forwards. Having started out brightly, Yakubu has now become a bench warmer. Andrew Johnson has not shown the form he produced last season and still might be mentally drained from missing two penalties earlier in the season. Meanwhile, Victor Anichiebe will look to continue his impressive form of late and will push for a starting spot in the attack. Newcastle have been focused on Michael Owen's latest injury. I think this absurd to really put Owen in the spotlight because he is such an injury prone character that it would be amazing to see him fit for more than a month. The last time I smacked talk Newcastle, they won 3-1 vs West Ham with Viduka scoring a brace. Can they do something similar today? Well when you have the quality midfield of Everton and a much more defensive prescence it could be a tough nut to crack, however, I feel Newcastle can pull off a very slim victory. But will they conceed? I think the chances are high there.
Bet: Both teams to score @ 1.90 $300 to win $270
Prediction: Newcastle 2-1 Everton
Goal Scorers: Newcastle, Alan Smith, Mark Viduka Everton, Mikel Arteta

Liverpool vs Tottenham Kickoff 10:00am EST
Liverpool 1.57
Draw 3.90
Tottenham 6.00

An important game for both squads. Liverpool have been on a slump the last few weeks and the Champions League loss to Marseille at Anfield really had some fans scratching their heads. The team is bolstered with depth and talent, yet they are scrapping. Why is it? Is the rotation policy starting to falter? I think the injury to Daniel Agger has been a devastating impact on the usually rocksolid Liverpool defense. His aerial prescence and power accommodates Carragher's versatility and patience. Rafa Benitez didn't field a strong side midweek but in all honesty, any side he puts out should have the quality to win games with very little problems. Now, the pressure is on, Benitez must get a result here before the international break. There are other EPL teams that are surging and all of a sudden Man Utd have jumped over Liverpool. This is the problem when there is a lot of money involved especially with one of the largest clubs in the world. The fans do not want to see a 1-0 win, they want to see something big to make sure, everything is alright. I think that injured toe is slowing Steven Gerrard down, I honestly hope he doesn't get boggled down the rest of the season but it is starting to really hamper his full potential. Tottenham played inspirational football on Monday, coming back from 1-4 down to draw with Aston Villa. Manager Martin Jol has been on a tight leash all season and all eyes will be on this match again as both managers have different agenda's to worry about. Tottenham, defensively, still have issues. They do not communicate as well as other squads. Offensively, Tottenham look more livelier on the wings now with Lennon back. I think we will star to see the goals coming in a much more consistent pace. Traditionally this match is very tight with Liverpool usually coming out on top by a goal. With the current situation i think both sides will see a similar results to those of past. Liverpool should and must win this one to shut the critics up but Tottenham might have finally woken up the past few games and could really put a test on Liverpool. Torres could have a field day against Tottenham's defense but that goes the same for the likes of Berbatov, Keane and co. The odds aren't too appealing and I really find playing the +/- 1 handicap to be annoying. This should be a great match to watch. Both teams are trying to make a move on different ends of the table. I just hope this is not a snoozefest.
Bet: NO BET
Prediction: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham
Goal Scorers: Liverpool, Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard Tottenham, Robbie Keane

Fulham vs Portsmouth Kickoff 11:15am EST
Fulham 2.70
Draw 3.25
Portsmouth 2.70

This game is a toss up. You got a team that depends on home wins vs a team that just is brutal on the road but yet is stacked with talent. Portsmouth were involved in an 11 goal fest vs Reading. Had it not been for their offense, Portsmouth could easily have lost 4-2. The defense has been a mystery for Harry Redknapp. Since their game against Arsenal, the defense has been a yo yo. You would think with the duo of Campbell and Distin that it would be a formidable rock, however it has not been the case. Fulham have played some dramatic games at home this season. Having made 2 incredible comebacks that both resulted in a 3-3 draw against Tottenham and Man City, Lawrie Sanchez's men will want to secure a full 3 points something they have yet to do since their second match vs Bolton. Portsmouth still are a fishy team on the road. To make matters worse, they travel to London where Harry Redknapp just seems to hate playing. Teams such as Chelsea, Arsenal, and Tottenham give his sides a hard time but can a team like Fulham do the same? Well the Craven Cottage is a much smaller venue, something Portsmouth are very use to at Fratton Park so thus the intimidation factor is not so apparent. I also think that Fulham's defense is still rather mysterious and should be taken advantage of. Both sides do not have any fresh injuries, just a few bumps and bruises as well as competition for places. I think Portsmouth can get something and should get something out of this match. However, there doesn't seem to be any answer for an offense like Fulham's so i'm going to assume both teams score on each other
Bet: Both teams to score @ 1.72 $300 to win $216
Prediction:
Fulham 2-2 Portsmouth
Goal Scorers: Fulham, David Healy, Clint Dempsey Portsmouth, Benjani, John Utaka

Back