English Premier League:
Record: 59-53-10 +$242.75
Totals: 12-11-2
Big Plays: 5-4-1

Arsenal vs Manchester Utd Kickoff 8:45am EST

Arsenal 2.50
Draw 3.10
Man Utd 3.00

Biggest match in Europe this weekend, the big 2 face off at the Emirates in a preview of what could be the title race for the EPL. We've seen this situation before, Man Utd vs Arsenal, top of the table clash. We know that both sides posses immense quality and it is extremely difficult to really judge who has a better so and so. The key will be the coaching battle between Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson. Both these managers have been at each other for over a decade, probably the best known managerial rivalry that is still on going today. The squads that both teams are fielding are quite a contrast to what it was a few seasons ago when veterans filled the line up. Now, it has changed to a youthful approach. It was very common to see either Ferguson or Wenger take a parting shot at one another, but when Chelsea came into the picture and won the titles, both sides shut their mouths. I've noticed how Wenger has tried to stay out of the limelight and keep his thoughts to himself, in the process he's become a lot more humble. In terms of form, Arsenal are currently unbeaten in 17 matches played this season while Man Utd are looking to make it 9 straight victories. For injuries, Arsenal will be without Robin van Persie and Phillippe Senderos while Man Utd will miss Paul Scholes. Both sides have great cover so there is no need to panic. Man Utd's offense has finally come into play, after starting the season with a 0-0 draw to Reading and than winning games by the slightest of margins, they have won their last 4 games scoring at least 4 goals in them. Of course they won't be opening a can of whoop ass to Arsenal but the offense is clicking at the best of times. For United to win this they must be extremely focused on their defense. They had a good string of successive clean sheets but the last 3 games have seen them allow a goal in each. Also, Utd must pile on the aggressive pressure. Earlier in the season when Arsenal played Blackburn, the Gunners got irritated with the physicality that the Rovers produced. Perhaps Ferguson will look upon taking it from that approach. Arsenal will need to be extremely patient with this match. To be honest, Arsenal have had an easy schedule to date. They are going to be playing their 7th home game in 11 League games, their only true test was against Liverpool at Anfield last week and again their patience was rewarded with a draw. The "easy" schedule doesn't help Arsenal, playing back to back top clubs will be a mental test to see if these Young Gunners can really mount a serious challenge. Man Utd have tested defeat and will know how bad it tastes. Arsenal enjoying that undefeated streak but I honestly think, Utd can take this one. Vengence will be on Ferguson's mine but a victory here does not guarantee each other a trophy.
Bet: Man Utd 0 @ 2.125 $300 to win $337.50
Prediction: Arsenal 0-1 Man Utd
Goal Scorer: Man Utd, Carlos Tevez

Aston Villa vs Derby Kickoff 11:00am EST
Aston Villa 1.40
Draw 4.33
Derby 9.00

Aston Villa will look to get back to winning ways hosting Derby at Villa Park. The Villans managed a 1-1 draw last week at the Reebok and return home to continue their fine home form. Their last home game however, was far from impressive. A thrashing to the hands of Man Utd lead many to believe certain changes must be implemented on the squad. Derby are just in all sorts of trouble. Only 1 victory in all competitions and that was a 1-0 home win against Newcastle on August 17th. Since then they have managed only 2 points in their last 5 games. Derby can look on the bright side that Bolton, Tottenham, Wigan and Sunderland are within their grasp if they can get some points. However, unlike Derby, Bolton, Tottenham and Sunderland are seeing improvements. Villa will welcome back first choice keeper Scott Carson and midfielder Nigel Reo Coker who were both suspended the last game due to Red Cards vs Man Utd. Both are vital players in the starting XI. Derby are without key striker Kenny Miller due to a hamstring strain, this only makes things worse for the Rams who have yet to score on the road this season! There really isn't too much to talk about this match. Derby have shown they will be the bullied all season. Points are hard to come by and will most likely come from their home games and even they struggle there. Look for Villa to step it up this game to gain some momentum as they will head into the next 3 matches on the road. So home victories are extremely vital for them.
Bet: Aston Villa -1.25 @ 2.00 $500 to win $500
Prediction: Aston Villa 3-0 Derby
Goal Scorers: Aston Villa, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Luke Moore, Gareth Barry

Everton vs Birmingham Kickoff 11:00am EST
Everton 1.66
Draw 3.50
Birmingham 5.75

Everton are putting together a 3 game win streak. Birmingham are coming off a dramatic 3-2 victory over Wigan last week and will look to bring that momentum over to Goodison Park. Birmingham manager Steve Bruce has been facing a ton of pressure from new majority owner Carson Yeung. There have been plenty of talks that Bruce will be sack sooner or later. So it would be in Bruce's favor to get some positive results if he wants to keep his job. Everton are not the same as they were last season. Very inconsistent this season, they are rather streaky when they win and when they lose. To their credit Everton must of woken up admist the 2-1 defeat to Merseyside rival Liverpool, a game which would of been fair to have ended in a draw. The Toffees have an outstanding midfield combo of Arteta and Cahill, one of my favorites in the league because of their energy. However, Arteta is listed as questionable for this encounter and there is no way I would bet an Everton game unless both men are fielded. This should be an intriguing counter. Can Everton hold success league wins? Birmingham looking for back to back wins for the first time this season. I think a lot of people are pointing to an easy Everton win, but if we look closely this could be more of a problem than expected. I stated in the beginning of the season, don't bet on Everton unless Cahill and Arteta are playing and I will stick to my belief. I think we can see a hard fought draw for the Blues.
Bet: NO BET
Prediction: Everton 1-1 Birmingham
Goal Scorers: Everton, Tim Cahill Birmingham, Olivier Kapo

Fulham vs Reading Kickoff 11:00am EST
Fulham 2.37
Draw 3.25
Reading 3.00

Well Fulham has screwed me quite a bit this season. I had initially thought they would of been great underdogs at the Cottage this season but so far have just been absolutely pathetic. They have only 2 wins in all competition's this season, the only league victory they had was a 2-1 home win vs Bolton the 2nd match of the season. Fulham have the most draws this season with 6. Reading are still without a road victory this season. Not surprising because they are one of those teams that depend on home victories for points. Fulham are so desperate to obtain some points, they don't care how they do it. Problem for them is they are now facing injury issues. 6 key players will not feature in this match today. 2 of them are facing suspension. I don't know how much worse it can get for Fulham, but they should be fortunate that they are still playing at home. Reading do not have any serious injury doubts for this game so manager Steve Coppel should field the same squad he did against Newcastle. I could go on to say Fulham have been quite unlucky this season but they also have themselves to blame for their poor performance. They have given up a lot of late goals numerous of times this season and have been accounted for making late comebacks. This is a game they must win but do I think they can do it? I've lost hope for them at this current point in time, and if they were to be defeated here, manager Lawrie Sanchez could be the next manager to get sacked. You got a desperate team playing a bad road team. Its a toss up.
Bet: NO BET
Prediction: Fulham 1-2 Reading
Goal Scorers: Fulham, Clint Dempsey Reading, Leroy Lita, Shane Long

Middlesbrough vs Tottenham Kickoff 11:00am EST
Middlesbrough 3.00
Draw 3.25
Tottenham 2.40

This will be new Tottenham manager Juande Ramos' first real test. Tottenham won 2-0 midweek vs Blackpool in Ramos' first official match as manager. However, that was Blackpool and Ramos' said there is still a ton of improvement needed. Middlesbrough are riding a cold streak of 5 defeats in a row. To their credit, Middlesbrough have played some tough opposition. Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Everton, the losing streak started when they lost to Tottenham during the Carling Cup play. Boro still have some injury issues. Striker Mido is still out with a groin injury, defenders Emmanuel Pogatetz and Robert Huth are also sidelined to this already weakened defense. Its quite difficult to get a grasp of either team. Spurs are just all over the place, we know they score, but can they defend? Boro need to get a move on if they want to get out of the relegation zone, but they haven't scored consistently and now considering their top choice forward is out, it piles more pressure on their weakened defense to give the Boro attack less pressure to deal with. Ok so, for the last time...well not the last time but i'm going to put my faith on Tottenham again. Yes their defense is crap but i'm going to hope that their offense does the job and keeps that saying "Offense is the defense".
Bet: Tottenham -0.25 @ 2.075 $300 to win $322.50
Prediction: Middlesbrough 1-2 Tottenham
Goal Scorers: Middlesbrough, Julio Arca Tottenham, Dimitar Berbatov, Robbie Keane

Wigan vs Chelsea Kickoff 11:00am EST
Wigan 9.00
Draw 4.33
Chelsea 1.40

Chelsea look to extend their win streak to 7 matches in all competitions. Wigan on the other hand are trying to stop a 5 game losing streak, they have not won a game since August 18th a 3-0 victory over Sunderland. I knew this team was a fraud. They jumped out pretty well during the start but they won against pretty crap opposition. Now they face reality along the relegation zone where they truly belong. Chelsea are revamped. There is no doubt in my mind they will some how sneak their way up into the Title race again. They are now playing a much more attractive brand of football and the fans are starting to take a keen liking of Grant. But i think the most important personnel in the Chelsea staff is assistant coach Henk Ten Cate. He posses a brilliant attacking sense and is extremely low profile. Not many will recognize him as being one of the key reasons to Barcelona's past success. He was extremely likeable by the players and I think his style of play really suits players such as Drogba. Frank Lampard has been on fire lately, scoring a hattrick to save an embarassing cup exit during the midweek. He has surely answered his critics the past few games and has been extremely inspirational. Chelsea are still without John Terry but that doesn't matter with the cover he's got. Ever since Emile Heskey got injured, Wigan's side has looked extremely depleted, especially in their attack. During their 9 game winless streak, Wigan have scored only 5 goals! Chelsea will look to continue their offensive form today, especially when Titus Bramble leads a defensive line, haha. No doubt in my mind Chelsea are back in business.
Bet: Chelsea -1.25 @ 1.975 $300 to win $292.50
Prediction:
Wigan 0-3 Chelsea
Goal Scorers: Chelsea, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, Andriy Shevchenko

Newcastle vs Portsmouth Kickoff 11:00am EST
Newcastle 2.00
Draw 3.25
Portsmouth 4.00

I have waited patiently to see whether or not I will bet this game. Newcastle are unbeaten at home in 5 league games, 4 wins and 1 draw, that draw came from my beloved Aston Villa, haha. Portsmouth lost midweek to Blackburn during the Carling Cup. Probably not too much of a concern considering the priorities are for League play. Portsmouth have never won a game at St.James' Park in fact, they have never gotten a point here. The Magpies are a different team at home. When you get a consistent sell out crowd of more than 50,000 fans backing you, that gives players more motivation to work harder. What i find is that Portsmouth have a harder time playing among larger crowds. They are so use to playing in the smaller stadium setting of Fratton Park that the aurora of a stadium like St.James' Park. Dont' be fooled about Portsmouth away wins. Winning against Wigan and Fulham are far from impressive, although the 1-0 win over Blackburn could probably be their highlight of the season. Nevertheless, Portsmouth are still vulnerable away from home. I sense a lively Newcastle victory here.
Bet: Newcastle ML @ 2.00 $300 to win $300
Prediction: Newcastle 2-0 Portsmouth
Goal Scorers: Newcastle, Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins

I'm a little uncertain about the Blackburn/Liverpool game. Rovers are missing Mokoena and Savage but are playing at home and are one of the teams the big clubs hate to play. Liverpool on the other hand are still undefeated on the road and are well....Liverpool. I smell a draw but a lot of people are pounding the Blackburn handicap. This sort of spot i have to pass up. Draw or Liverpool win is the way to go.

Back