EPL Nov 24 to 25 Plays from North of the Border

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
English Premier League:
Record: 65-57-13 +$1065.25
Totals 12-12-2
Big Plays: 6-4-1

Ahh EPL is back, thank god. Couldn't stand another week of qualifiers. Anyways lets see if the international "break" benefited more teams than the other.

Newcastle vs Liverpool Kickoff 7:45am EST
Newcastle 3.80
Draw 3.30
Liverpool 2.00

Great game to kickoff the weekend. We have a North End class between two traditional sides. Liverpool are having some internal issues. Seems to me that the owners Hicks and Gillet are having an issue with Benitez. During the past week, Benitez was being linked with the Bayern Munchen job, this sort of speculation can often rattle a team's morale. Newcastle are winless in their last 3, they took a beating in their last home game losing 4-1 to Portsmouth. The Magpies are hit with the injury bug, they will miss Michael Owen and Steven Taylor. Their defense is not very impressive so I am quite concerned how the squad will react to a player such as Fernando Torres' ability. Torres' has recovered from his injury that had sidelined him 4 matches. Another positive news is that Daniel Agger is most likely going to be back in the line up for this match. This is great timing because Liverpool really need consistency in their backline. This will be another tactical battle between Benitez and Allardyce. Traditionally, when these 2 squads face each other, the home team has had the majority of the success. I can see that happening again today. Yes Pool are still unbeaten on the road but they must not get too complacent. When you play in a hostile stadium like St. James' Park, communication is vital. Liverpool have a Champions League game vs Porto midweek that they MUST win in order to survive. Considering that Pool have a huge list of international players, I am thinking they are extremely exhausted. Benitez is also not a fan of these international games just because it doesn't give the team enough time to prepare. So I think the home crowd will play a huge factor for Newcastle, even though the quality of players aren't as good as Pool, I can still see Newcastle getting a point. Pool will most likely try to play for the draw and keep their undefeated streak alive. I think Newcastle can some how nick in a goal even though Agger is back.
BET: Both teams to score @ 1.90 $300 to win $270
Prediction: Newcastle 1-1 Liverpool
Goal Scorers: Newcastle, Obafemi Martins Liverpool, Fernando Torres

Arsenal vs Wigan Kickoff 10:00am EST
Arsenal 1.16
Draw 7.00
Wigan 17.00

Wigan have a new manager in charge. Steve Bruce just completed his switch from Birmingham but will be in the stands to watch his new team play Arsenal in London. Steve Bruce has been in the middle of an internal club row at Birmingham. The move to Wigan had stalled a few days ago but it has now been confirmed. He isn't moving to a better situation. He's inheriting a broken up team that sit in 19th position, losers of 7 straight matches, last time they picked up a win was August 18th.
Arsenal are looking to get back to business. Sitting tied for 1st with 30 points but with a game in hand, it is always nice to have a game where you can collect 3 points after a layoff. This game should be another starting point for the Gunners to make a string of successive wins. Arsenal are on a 19 game unbeaten run....however, for this game they will be without several key players. Fabregas, van Persie, Hleb, Flamini, Diaby and Gilberto Silva have been ruled out of this match. So a major shuffle is needed in the midfield. Shouldn't be a problem because Wenger has been faced with this situation. From a gambler's perspective it could be a major headache. Keeping a clean sheet is probably Wenger's main target. He won't care if they win 1-0 or 2-0 but to stay focus and being consistent is really what this Gunner's team is all about. Fabregas has been the focal point of the attack. Hleb's presence on the side is extremely vital. So this is a toss up. Arsenal should win this game but i'm not too sure by how much. They might be looking ahead to the Sevilla clash for Champs League but than again, they have already qualified for the next phase. I'm going to take a pass on this one, see better opportunity elsewhere.
Bet: NO BET
Prediction: Arsenal 3-1 Wigan
Goal Scorers: Arsenal, Eduardo, Emmanuel Eboue, Tomas Rosicky Wigan Antoine Sibierski

Birmingham vs Portsmouth Kickoff 10:00am EST
Birmingham 3.20
Draw 3.25
Portsmouth 2.30

Birmingham are in a crisis right now. As explained above, they are having internal issues. Majority shareholder Carson Yeung has been a real prick, he's stalled over a takeover, claims he wants a Chinese player on the Blues, has made suggestions that Steve Bruce's job is on the line. The caretaker boss will be Steve Bruce's assistant, Erick Black. Black was in line for the managerial position but he has insisted he wants to follow Bruce at Wigan.
Portsmouth are playing extremely well at the moment. Pompey have lost only 1 game in the last 10 competitive matches. John Utaka will be available for this match after recovering from a hamstring injury. Seems most likely he will partner with Benjani considering Kanu is still not fully fit. Portsmouth look like an easy play.....a little too easy. They have a ton of international players and manager Harry Redknapp, like Rafa Benitez is not a fan of this schedule because he has had little time to prepare. Portsmouth have done a lot better on the road than expected. They are definitely gelling well. If they want to compete against the big 4 clubs, they will need to learn how to win on the road with a depleted squad. Odds look great for Portsmouth but it just seems a little too fish for me. I think Birmingham players will need to stick together and not let the internal affairs bother the results on the pitch. They are coming off a derby loss to Aston Villa, so they need to pick up the pieces again to fight off relegation. Should see a gutsy performance from the Blues squad.
Bet: Both teams to score @ 1.83 $300 to win $249
Prediction:
Birmingham 2-2 Portsmouth
Goal Scorers: Birmingham, Olivier Kapo, Gary O'Connor Portsmouth, Benjani, Kranjcar

Gl mike not much i like today, plus i am going to copenhagen to watch FC copenhagen - Odense, so i dont have much time either.

k don't have time for the rest of the write ups but just looking through the list of games i'm not going to go nuts because of the fact that a lot of international players maybe fatigued.

Bolton vs Man Utd: NO BET
Derby vs Chelsea: Chelsea -1.5 @ 1.775 $300 to win $232.50
Everton ML/Man City ML $300 to win $501.78
Middlesbrough vs Aston Villa: Aston Villa (0) @ 1.80 $300 to win $240

Back