Enjoy Illinois 300 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoy Illinois 300 Race Preview and Pick

NASCAR Cup Series: Enoy Illinois 300
Sunday, June 5, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. ET at World Wide Technology Raceway in Madison, Illinois

Last Week's Race

Before the middle of May, it was easy to write off Denny Hamlin as a legitimate candidate to win races.

Before mid-May, he had failed time after time to sniff the top-10, and he repeatedly finished outside the top 20.

However, beginning on May 15, he finished fourth in Kansas, second in the All-Star Race, and he won last week's race.

Last week, the Coca-Cola 600 took place at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Hamlin's start to the race was strong.

Despite enjoying an early lead, he faced stiff competition from Kyle Busch among others.

The race ultimately required two overtimes, which ended with Hamlin triumphing over Kyle Busch by .014 seconds.

At the end of the day, Hamlin can say that he has won the longest race in NASCAR history, 619.5 miles.

This Week's Race

This upcoming race on Sunday moves from Charlotte to Illinois.

It is the Enjoy Illinois 300, which will take place at the World Wide Technology Raceway, which is located near the famous St. Louis arch.

For this race, drivers must complete a total of 240 laps.

As is almost always the case, there will be three stages for this race.

Stage 1 requires drivers to complete 45 laps.

Stage 2 consists in the following 95 laps, ending upon completion of lap 140.

Stage 3 terminates upon completion of the 240th lap.

Typically, the entry list for the upcoming NASCAR racing event is posted by the middle of the week.

For this event, there are 36 teams/drivers listed out of 40 possible spots.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we know which drivers will compete in this race.

The usual suspects are all there, although we will be sure to discount Hamlin as a potential candidate to win because winning back-to-back races is so rare.

As for qualifying, this is what will determine the starting lineup.

Qualifying for this race will take place on Saturday at 10 a.m. ET. It is scheduled to last 90 minutes.

This race's qualifying session will be single-vehicle, one-lap, and it will take place over two rounds.

Practice session has often preceded qualifying.

However, in this case, practice takes place on Friday from 4-4:50 p.m. ET.

Track Info

This raceway, the World Wide Technology Raceway, is perhaps most famous for its association with IndyCar racing.

But now this race track is debuting on the NASCAR Cup Series circuit.

It is an oval with asphalt surface. Its egg shape is unique.

Each lap consists in 1.250 miles. So, in completing 240 laps, drivers will have amassed 300 miles.

The banking at this track is subpar.

Turns 1 and 2 are banked at 11 degrees while Turns 3 and 4 are banked at nine degrees.

My Guy

Just because NASCAR drivers are competing at this track for the first time does not mean that we lack a strong historical basis with which to predict the outcome of this race.

This track is not unique, because the respective track at Martinsville, Phoenix, and Richmond are also short tracks with little banking.

I like Martin Truex Jr. because Richmond is one of his best tracks, and he has two top-five finishes in his last three tries at both Phoenix and Martinsville.

Plus, Dover is also a short track, and it is one of his best tracks historically.

He also has two top-five finishes in his last three tries at Darlington, which has an egg shape.

Therefore, this odd and new track in Illinois is just the one for Truex Jr. to thrive in.

Best Bet: Truex Jr. at +1000 with Bovada

Xfinity today:

If you have BAS, they have Gibbs +120 verses Allmendinger.

I placed a max bet of 1 unit.

They are the top 2 favorites to win, but Allmendinger will go to the rear to start the race.

Last edited:
Xfinity - Portland:

3 units:
Myatt Snider -115 versus Labbe (Bovada)

2 units:
Creed -115 versus Allgier (Bovada)

1 unit:
Gibbs +120 versus Allmendinger (BAS)

$20 Creed to win +1000 (Bovada)

Xfinity - Portland:

3 units:
Myatt Snider -115 versus Labbe (Bovada)

2 units:
Creed -115 versus Allgier (Bovada)

1 unit:
Gibbs +120 versus Allmendinger (BAS)

$20 Creed to win +1000 (Bovada)
Gonna be wet AF in Portland. Shocking I know. GL today. I like Creed and Hill on RCs no clue how it plays out in the rain.

I really don't see anything worth playing today, but maybe that will change. It will be hard to pass, like Martinsville. I think Briscoe, Logano, and Blaney stay at the front all day.

I thought about Harvick -130 over Suarez because SHR looks strong and Suarez looked bad in practice, but Harvick's pit crew has not been good this season and track position will be more important today. I checked back and it moved to -145 so no bet.

I thought about Briscoe -135 over Cindric but I hate betting favorites over -130

Xfinity -0.5 units
Cup -0.2 units
Total -0.7 units

Nascar Total (2022):
Xfinity +7.2 units
Cup +41.38 units
Both +48.58 units

Back