English Premiership weekend plays (18-19.8)

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Hello guys! I decided to join Premiership threads and will post my own season record from now on, let's see how I do shall we :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Season (2007/2008) EPL record 0 W - 0 V - 0 L +/- 0 units
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool FC
facup_chelsea_120.jpg
Chelsea FC

You can call me a homer if you want, since I am a LFC fan, but trust me, I don't wager my money making homer calls, you will see me going against Liverpool enough times to be the judge of that personally.

Ok now that we've solved that, let's go on to the preview.
Liverpool brought in several new faces since the season started (Benayoun, Babel, Voronin, Torres, Lucas, etc) and it will take some time until all the cylinders are running smoothly. Make sure you don't overrate these guys especially not early in the season and especially not in away matches.
At the fortress of Anfield, it's another story.
I've seen the match against Villa, nothing special I have to point out, even though Liverpool did seem to be in control before Carra made an error and it cost them a penalty.

A piece of Stevie Gs brilliance won the game for the Reds. Definitely a highlight of the young season.
The game in Toulouse was very, very tricky. First of all it was very hot, Rafa once again rotated the squad leaving some of them more fresh for this clash, so he played Crouch up front, even though it was evident the big Englishman was quite lost on the field, played rather badly (not used to that from Crouchie though).
Toulouse is a weird squad, even after Voronin's wonder goal, they still didn't seem willing to attack much, one thing is: they couldn't open up too much because Liverpool would probably kill them on the counter, but come on, CL qualifiers, show some heart.

They didn't. They defended quite well but lacked any offensive initiative. Liverpool won that game in a quite routinely manner, perhaps showing they're growing as a team since Toulouse is no stroll in the park.

Some bad things have been noted as well, as I mentioned Crouch I think is quite out of form, Benayoun doesn't seem to understand the players that well yet, I remember Stevie wanted to play a double pass wit him, he didn't get it at first.
Gerrard had to be substituted but he will be fit for Chelsea clash.
I liked what Ryan Babel had to offer, a quite talented, versatile youngster, he definitely has class to play among the best.

Last season Liverpool beat Chelsea in a corresponding clash (2-0) as the Blues were in the middle of an injury crisis. Similar was noted prior to this game as Essien, Terry, Bridge, Makelele, Carvalho, Shevchenko, Robben and Ballack were battling all sorts of injuries. Latest news however say that Terry and Essien should be available, same as Makelele. Shevchenko should play but probably limited minutes.

Liverpool are playing at home, in front of their fans, and Chelsea haven't impressed anyone with their wins over Reading and Birmingham. They have the ability to change their playingstyle "on the fly", since they have a lot of quality players on the bench, but making such impacts will mostly scare lowly positioned clubs.
Mourinho's boys made a lot of defensive errors, they weren't in control of the game as much as in previous seasons. Some would say this will be the season of truth for Jose Mourinho, whether he can maintain a high percentage of wins or not, only time will say.

The fact is, Liverpool played twice away, and won quite routinely, actually were the better team in both clashes, and Chelsea just gave too much space to the opponents' respective midfields, and traveling to Anfield surely isn't "exactly what the doctor ordered". I have to take over 2 as well, since I think the line is heavily affected by previous seasons' clashes, and this could be a different year for both teams. Chelsea has already allowed 3 goals in 2 matches, and Liverpool has considerable firepower now with Babel, Benayoun, Torres, and always dangerous Gerrard.
The odds are tempting, because we could easily see both teams score in this one, which would automatically mean we get our money back, at least.

The draw is possible, but I think Liverpool are way more likely to win it.
Keep the (side) stakes a bit moderate since it's quite early in the season, so all previews and comments have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Liverpool DNB (1.76) 6 units
over 2 goals (1.93) 4 units

Newcastle United - Aston Villa

I'll be brief here. The Magpies opened the season very well and quite effectively, scoring at will and outplaying Bolton Wanderers, even though making any serious conclusions from one game wouldn't be right, I can't neglect the fact they actually played very well up front, creating lots of chances besides the goals they netted.
This will be Allardyce's first home game as "Toon" manager, and frankly I expect them to keep focused on scoring rather than protecting their own net at all cost.
Duff, Barton, Babayaro and Given are out for Newcastle in front of this clash.
Aston Villa on the other hand lost to Liverpool after tying the game in 86th minute but they shouldn't be underestimated, they have considerable talent on board, especially up front.
Aston Villa keeper Stuart Taylor has a calf problem, so on-loan Scott Carson stands by to make his debut.
The odds are definitely making me take the over in this one, I simply don't see it as a low scoring game.

Over 2.5 (2.20) 5 units

Leaning some other sides as well (Fulham, Manchester clash over 2.5) but settle for these for now.

Good luck.

Liverpool FC (expected formation)

---------------------Reina--------------------------------
--Finnan-----Carragher-----Agger----Riise-----------------
------------------- Alonso(Mascherano)----------
----Benayoun-----Gerrard----------Babel--------------
---------------Kuyt----------Torres---------------

Thanks bro. Let's do it. Btw, any comments about these games? Even if you disagree, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Liverpool FC (expected formation)

---------------------Reina--------------------------------
--Finnan-----Carragher-----Agger----Riise-----------------
------------------- Alonso(Mascherano)----------
----Benayoun-----Gerrard----------Babel--------------
---------------Kuyt----------Torres---------------

You will never walk alone.

YNWA to you brother. :D :cheers:

anyways, I have some problems with this formation.

I think Liverpool will field one of these two players: Mascherano or Sissoko.

But who should go then? I say Benayoun, and definitely not Xabi.

Xabi is probably our most important player next to Stevie. I have no clue how to put it in formation without touching Alonso on the DM though.

We probably don't need as big incentive up front with both Benayoun and Babel being keen to penetrate and play up front, but as I said, Xabi needs to play in my opinion.

Jesus Christ I cannot believe we are going to have either Momo or Mascherano on the bench. I'd prefer Momo in a close call, Masche is better for strictly defensive assignments though, Momo tends to play with the midfield, be involved during our possessions as well.

That Pool/Chelsea match is going to be a coin toss, Gerrard with a hairline fracture on the toe, then John Terry back in the line up. Hmmm i don't know man i think we'll see another draw here. Just too competitive really, the squad depth is immense but if Pool loses it won't be from a quality aspect but i think a coaching mistake. I will wait on this one to see how Essien is doing.

Coaching mistake? As far as I know Rafa has made NONE against Chelsea so far and has proven to have the upper hand in his clashes with Jose.

Having said that, this will indeed be a tough clash and it could end in a draw.

Gerrard will be playing under painkillers and he won't feel any pain. At least not while the game lasts. God I hope he heals soon as he is truly an amazing player.

I'm not impressed by Chelsea this year, even though we're talking two games only, they have lacked to impose their game so far I think, and doing it at Anfield will be tough.

Anyways, respect your view on this one. :shake: GL

Rafael Benitez has challenged his players to prove they have what it takes to sustain a title challenge over the course of the season.
With three points already on the board and Chelsea due at Anfield this weekend, Benitez is aware of the importance of maintaining the standards which have already brought two victories in the first week of the campaign.

"If we show the same quality against every side in the league as I believe we will against Chelsea, at the end of the season we will be up there," he said.

"Chelsea may be an important game now, but next week's game against Sunderland will be just as important.

"Every three points we play for will mean something at the end of the season, so all the players must be ready every week.

"I want each game in the Premiership to be seen in the same way rather than hear people talking about how a game like Chelsea may be more important than others.

"We know when you're playing against a top side you must do well if you want to be a contender, but to be ready against all the teams is the only way to compete in the Premiership.

"I know against the top sides how much everyone wants to play and show their quality and I know they can do it."

i'm going to wait to see if Essien will play or not. also i don't believe John Terry played in the game where Pool won 2-0 last season?

There is a difference between being stupid and being determined. Yes i can see Gerrard is going all out no matter at what cost but seriously.....this is their 2nd game, he has an injured toe is this one game really going to stop them from the chance of winning the League? Yes to beat Chelsea would be a great step but honestly i hope Gerrard knows when to stop and not further damage his toe because in the long run, it doesn't help anyone if Pool beat up on Chelsea only to find out Gerrard's toe got worse.

Liverpool is my favorite team too but im not too optimistic about this game if Terry is back, hopefully you are right tho :cheers:

Also i like the Newcastle-Villa over alot

Adding (not Premiership but still football) (I'll have overall football record and EPL record):

Standard Liege (Belgian league) (-1 and -1.5) (1.91) 6 units

Will add more soon.

Well in, Mimir.........we cashed big on this one.

That's gonna' be it for me for the round.....gonna take money and run.

Enjoy the rest of the week-end!

Cheers

Well in, Mimir.........we cashed big on this one.

That's gonna' be it for me for the round.....gonna take money and run.

Enjoy the rest of the week-end!

Cheers

Rational decision Clay

I'm trying to stay lucky during the day, I have Fulham and Toons on the card, as well as the next German champs, BM.

:tiphat:

Back