English Premier League Plays from North of the Border

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Alright so this is it i've saved up for sometime now to have a substantial bankroll, going to put my thoughts for every match whether or not i bet them or not. My odds are based on Bet365.

Starting Bankroll: $10,000
Record: 0-0
Sides: 0-0
Totals 0-0
Big Plays: 0-0

Sunderland vs Tottenham
Sunderland 3.40
Draw 3.25
Tottenham 2.10
New comers Sunderland welcome Tottenham to the Stadium of Light to kick off a fresh campaign which they hope will be much more positive then their last stay. Both teams have plenty of fresh faces added to the squad and both have different agenda's in mind. Sunderland's first agenda will be to fight off relegation while Tottenham's will be to get closer to Champions League qualification.
On this fixture Tottenham will be missing a few key players, Lee Young-Pyo, Gareth Bale, Ledley King, and Aaron Lennon will all miss opening day action meaning a major overhaul for Jol to play with. Interesting to see who Martin Jol will play upfront with the 4 key forwards. Most likely we will see Bent and Berbatov start but we may see a little of Keane as well.
Sunderland will most likely start with Craig Gordon in net even though he has suffered a little of a shoulder injury. The exciting prospect of Roy O'Donovan and Michael Chopra should get the fans rallying on their feet, i think O'Donovan can take advantage of the abscene of King and cause problems at the back. The right flank will be an ideal spot for Keane to attack considering both Pyo and Bale are out. Just recently, Captain Dean Whitehead signed a contract extension and that should put his mind at ease.
Tough opening match, by the names Tottenham should get the points but considering the amount of injuries Martin Jol has to deal with, he may want to just get out of Sunderland with at least a point. Sunderland on the other hand will look to open their campaign off with a bang. Keane is making his EPL managerial debut and will like the best out of all his players. However, i think the attacking quality for Tottenham will give them the advantage. Sunderland should get on the score sheet but Gordon could be rusty and may not be up to par with the EPL.
Prediction: Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham
Goal Scorers: Sunderland, Roy O'Donovan Tottenham, Dimitar Berbatov, Darren Bent
Bet: Both teams to score @ 1.95 $200 to win $190

Bolton vs Newcastle
Bolton 2.50
Draw 3.20
Newcastle 2.57

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce makes an immediate return to the Reebok Stadium where he left the club last season with 2 games remaining. I'm not quite too sure what sort of reception we can expect by the Bolton faithful, some may see him as a legend some may see him as a traitor.
Manager Sammy Lee will look to start off his rookie managerial as a Premiership Manager with a bang. He has been Allardyce's right hand man for many seasons and understands the Bolton system far better than anyone else. However, he didn't do a good job the final 2 games, allowing 5 goals. Newcastle will start without Michael Owen....whats new. Joey Barton's early pre season injury means he will be out for a few matches, Damien Duff still has ankle problems and will not be featured. Which means Sam will have a rather weekend left side. To make matters worse first choice keeper Shay Given picked up a knock and will be out of this match.
Bolton will start a new era of uncertainties. But playing at the Reebok is always positive. The past 12 meetings between the two, only 2 matches have ended with a visitor winning. Yes times have changed and new faces but i like to stick with tradition. I think Sammy Lee may have learnt quite enough of Sam's tricks to nick one here. I'm still not impressed with Newcastles attack, i think they will continue to struggle opening the season but with a full squad a few weeks from now they should not be over looked. However, for opening day purposes, Sammy Lee to get the job done.
Prediction: Bolton 2-1 Newcastle
Goal Scorers: Bolton, Nicolas Anelka, Kevin Nolan Newcastle, Alan Smith
Bet: Bolton -0.25 @ 2.10 $100 to win $110

Derby vs Portsmouth
Derby 2.85
Draw 3.20
Portsmouth 2.37

Odds are dropping for Portsmouth, started around the 2.50. Word has it Giles Barnes will not be a Derby player tomorrow and could be off to West Ham. If that's the case Derby are in real big trouble. Losing Barnes will mean they lose creativity and their influential part of the attack. Either way Barnes will not be available until he recovers from his recent broken foot injury. If Portsmouth set to take a step into a European campaign this season. Started out fantastic but a poor finish resulted them finishing 9th. They've bolstered their squad with immense talent but it could take time before they all gel together. Portsmouth road record last season was terrible finishing the season with no wins in their last 9 road games finishing the year with only 3 wins away from Fratton Park. If they seek European aspirations they must take the 3 points vs a team like Derby County who have not lost an opening day Premier League encounter. Both teams will have a full squad to select which means, if the recent pre season results are to signal any way of how Portsmouth will do this season, then they should get a positive result today. Redknapp will have a tough choice picking who will lead the attack, the talent is there now its time to see if they will click.
Prediction: Derby 0-2 Portsmouth
Goal scorers: Portsmouth, John Utaka, Benjani
Bet: Portsmouth -0.25 @ 2.10 $150 to win $165
John Utaka to score anytime @ 3.50 $25 to win $62.50
Benjani to score anytime @ 3.40 $25 to win $60

Everton vs Wigan
Everton 1.66
Draw 3.40
Wigan 5.50

Is it really David vs Goliath or are the bookies just fading Wigan. Everton are missing influential midfielder Tim Cahill after he broke his metatarsal. New signing Leighton Baines will not be able to make his debut against his former club due to a hamstring strain and youngster James Vaughn is still nursing dislocated shoulder that should keep him out till November. Yes these 3 will be crucial for David Moyes but against Wigan, the Toffees will have enough depth. The defense will be as rock steady as always with Yobo and Stubbs taking command. Tim Howard should seal the deal and shut off Wigan's attack. When you have Titus Bramble as your starting centre back, you are in immense trouble. I don't know how this lad will contain Andy Johnson. Wigan's defense has become worse and considering they are playing the team that had one of the best defenses last season, its hard to see if Chris Hutchings men can get anything from this game. But it is opening day, suprises could happen, although i highly doubt there will be one here.
Prediction: Everton 2-0 Wigan
Goal Scorers: Everton, 2 goals Andy Johnson
Bet: NO BET, I would be more confident betting Everton with Cahill in the squad. I want to see just how bad Wigan are and how good Everton could be without Cahill

Middlesbrough vs Blackburn
Middlesbrough 2.50
Draw 3.20
Blackburn 2.75

An interesting clash between 2 teams that will most likely treading the middle of the table. Both teams are extremely inconsistent so it will be a major toss up. Middlesbrough will start their campaign with limited resources primarily at the back with starters Woodgate, Pogatetz and Huth. Manager Gareth Southgate will now have to look elsewhere to to form a duo which will lead to plenty of confusion at the back. Midfielder Fabio Rochemback will miss the first 3 games of the season due to his pre season red card. There is still growing speculation that forward Yakubu is going to move out of the club meaning he may not play tomorrow. However, Tuncay Sanli will make his debut upfront, and the other 2 new signings Luke Young and Jeremie Aliadiere will make debuts as well. Middlesbrough have not kept a clean sheet at Riverside since December 23, 2006 vs Charlton. Now they face one of the more offensive minded Blackburn teams lead by 2nd leading goal scorer of last season, Benni McCarthy. Influential midfielder Robbie Savage will looking to make his comeback today. If he does, that should toughen up the midfield. Out of 19 road games last season, Blackburn failed to score in only 6 games. So it is tough to keep a cleansheet from this team.
I think think the Middlesbrough injuries are going to be a problem this match, however, they were a pretty good home squad last season winning 10 out of the 19 games in which they scored 31 and alllowed in 24. I expect this to be a pretty sloppy game and if Yakubu is not on the field tomorrow, Blackburn should take control easily.
Prediction: Middlesbrough 1-3 Blackburn
Goal Scorers: Middlesbrough, Jeremie Aliadiere, Blackburn, 2 Benni McCarthy, Roque Santa Cruz
Bet: Blackburn (0) @ 2.025 $100 to win $102.50
Over 2.25 @ 2.025 $100 to win $102.50

West Ham vs Manchester City
West Ham 2.00
Draw 3.20
Manchester City 3.75

Both squads have seen quite a bit of an overhaul but moreso Manchester City. Only 3 starters from last season are back in the picture, Michah Richards, David Dunne and Andreas Isaksson. However, Isaksson will not be in net for this encounter after he fractured his thumb. So it is now a toss up between Kasper Schmeichel or Joe Hart, both are not Premiership quality. There will be a few new Man City signings who will most likely not be featured due to work permits, they include Bojinov, Corluka and Elano. These 3 will be game time decisions. West Ham, will miss new signing Scott Parker and their captain Lucas Neill. Both are key players and will surely missed. This should leave a big gap in the middle. Another set back was when new signing Julien Faubert raptured his achilles tendon and will be out for a good 6 months, he was signed to provide toughness in an already stoften West Ham midfield. New signing Craig Bellamy will lead the attack along with Dean Ashton who is looking to return to fitness after a long injury plagued 2006-2007 season.
Prediction: West Ham 0-0 Manchester City
Bet: NO BET, too much of a toss up, line has moved in favor of Man City perhaps because the 3 players waiting on work permits might be featured. Either way Man City may take sometime to gel together. West Ham will surely miss Lucas Neill at the back but may have enough wits to get a point.

Aston Villa vs Liverpool
Aston Villa 4.00
Draw 3.25
Liverpool 1.90

Ok I"m not going to be bias here but why would people really bet on a Liverpool squad that has some fresh faces, not won on opening day in the last 4 seasons, has a very inconsistent form on the road? Liverpool have not found success in their opening game for the past 4 seasons. They drew 1-1 last year at Sheffield United and i expect this slow start to continue, especially on the road. Please remember, Liverpool play Toulouse on the 15th for Champions League Qualifying so you might think that Benitez has something planned for that. After that they then host Chelsea for their home opener. So there are a few things to think about. Aston Villa will miss starting keeper Tommy Sorensen who is still recovering from a hamstring pull he suffered in a friendly on July 25th. In place will be Stuart Taylor, however Scott Carson has just recently signed on loan from Liverpool and will start the next game, he is not allowed to face his current owners. Upfront, Villa have a very pacey attack. Carew will command the middle while on the flanks, Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor run riot. I expect MON to use a 4-3-3 system approach but my main concern is the middle of the park where Liverpool will start Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano, both of whom are hardnose players that could easily bully the Villa midfield. Villa's defense is extremely shaky, especially on the right where they have no natural right back other than Mark Delaney who is still sidelined. I think this game is open for debate, MON has a tight knit group that should do well in the beginning of the season before it takes its toll come December due to the shortage of depth. Liverpool on the other hand need to find consistency away from Anfield, but they start off in a hostile Villa Park where the fans are extremely eager to make Holte End one of the noisest stands in the league.
Prediction: Aston Villa 1-1 Liverpool
Goal Scorers: Aston Villa, Gareth Barry Liverpool, Steven Gerrard
Bets: Both teams to score @ 2.00 $200 to win $200
Over 2.25 @ 2.00 $150 to win $150
Aston Villa +0.5 @ 1.925 $200 to win $185

Ok so a very tiny profit on the day will work out the units when today is done.

Manchester United vs Reading
Manchester United 1.20
Draw 6.00
Reading 13.00

Man Utd begin their defense hosting Reading at Old Trafford. Man Utd opened last week with a Community Shield victory and will want more silverware this plate after spending well over $60 million pounds in transfers. However, we won't see a ton of the new players starting, expect the midfield to consist of Giggs, Scholes, Carrick and O'Shea while we see the familiar duo of Ronaldo and Rooney up front. Not going to play any handicaps that is this large early in the season. Reading have had a quiet off season with only 2 signings, one of them Fae will be in place for Sidwell. The sophomore season begins with teams knowing what The Royals can do, it might be a little more difficult. Man Utd know a good start infront of their fans would be ideal but a win is a win for them and they know the percentages are in their favor so there really is no point to go all out this early in the stage. I think they will be able to keep that clean sheet considering Reading will be without key striker Leroy Lita to lead the attack. I'm just going to make a fun bet on this match and enjoy it.
Prediction: Manchester Utd 2-0 Reading
Goalscorers: Man Utd, Ronaldo, Rooney
Bet: Rooney to score any time @ 2.37 $150 to win $206.25

ahhhh damn it, oh well, this goalie was really on today, cannot deny that Reading just frustrated the daylights out of Utd

Man, what a rotten deal. I just read this thread after watching the game... saw "I'm just going to make a fun bet on this match and enjoy it", and it turned out not to be that way. The goalie did play fabulous and I had DRAW just small because I thought the price was way out of whack... but you were the one keeping me off a lot of big plays this weekend cause you warned me this is the first game, and anything can happen.

GL next week brother... let me know when you see something good pop up, as I think one of my shops are dealing these like 3 days in advance or something...

Leaning on the Under. Will write up soon just want to check up with wuntun see what he thinks of Tottenham today. Not convinced they pose an offensive threat if they don't have any depth on the wings

Back