English Premier League Final Weekend

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
This is it fellas the last weekend. No drama at the top but more so for relegation purposes.

Blackburn vs Reading
In what has been a remarkable season for the Royals, they pretty much messed up their chance for European football next season with a humiliating loss to Watford at home last week. Losing at your final home game to the last place squad is a terrible reminder that when you keep yourself off guard you will lose in this league by any team.The Royals are still in contention for the last UEFA Cup spot, being 1 point behind Bolton and have a +5 goal differential as appose to Boltons -5. Now, a win here does not ensure passage, a Bolton win will eliminate the Royals from European play next season.
Blackburn are probably the most inconsistent team in the league. They have shown flashes of brilliance but then again flashes of whipping tools. However, they have shown they are able to compete amongst mid table teams and did win at Reading 2-1 earlier in the season. Mathematically Blackburn can still qualify into Europe if they beat Tottenham and Reading, and if Bolton and Portsmouth lose. Will that happen? I highly doubt it, because i do not see them winning today. So what is left to play for Mark Hughes' men? Pride, a strong finish at Ewood Park, the future is still uncertain for some players, Hughes will have to start thinking what he can do this off season to give this team the push for more consistency.
Prediction: Blackburn 2-1 Reading
Goal Scorers: Benny McCarthy, Jason Roberts, Steven Sidwell
My bet: Blackburn -0.5

Chelsea vs Everton
Chelsea should of, could of beaten Man Utd on Wednesday. They missed Drogba's finishing up front and a fine display from Tomas Kuzsack prevented 3 points from the EPL winners. However, Chelsea are soley focused now on the May 19th FA Cup Final against Man Utd. This fixture really is to show respect to the fans and keep their heads up high. Mourinho will definitely be benching his key players on this encounter or at least give them a few minutes of playing time before subbing them. After a disappointing exit from the CL and losing the EPL title, whats left of a very dull season is the FA Cup. It is an incentive but not as great as the league and CL. This could be the last home game for a few players just because of contract dispute. Lots of rumors suggesting Mourinho's departure from the team. But that's to wait till summer. Chelsea still carry an unbeaten home streak at Stamford Bridge for EPL play since 2003.
Everton have not technically qualified for UEFA Cup, but they would need a humiliating loss to Chelsea and a Reading onslaught against Blackburn to make up for goal difference. I know exactly what i would play in this match, its like an Italian Serie A bout, how about we both get this result so we are both happy. Everton has had a great campaign, Moyes certainly got the best of Andy Johnson, however the England striker is out with an ankle injury so expect more of a youthful look up forward. This could be Mikel Arteta's last game as a Toffee, being heavily scouted back in Spain and he has had wishes to return home. Joseph Yobo is aiming for an Everton record, to play every minute of every EPL Match this season. That is a remarkable record to show, match fitness and consistancy. Nevertheless, a draw will satisfy Everton's needs, and keep Chelsea's home record intact.
Prediction: Chelsea 1-1 Everton
Goal Scorers: Shaun Wright Phillips, Mikel Arteta
My bet: Draw and Everton +0.75

Liverpool vs Charlton
Charlton were officially relegated to the Championship by Tottenham in the midweek. So a travel to Anfield really is just an exercise to keep fit. Alan Pardew did a substantial job of the time he was at The Valley but was unable to work his magic.
Liverpool, have nothing to play for in terms of the league but will want to make sure that the key players will be fit for their Champions League final against AC Milan on May 23. However, they will want to finish above Arsenal as an incentive and make sure they finish on a high in their final home game. One of the more solid home squads in all of the EPL, Pool have only surrender 5 goals in league play all season!!! Absolutely remarkable and a proud feat to have such a solid all around team. though in league, Liverpool have been all over the place, having starting out the season with an abysmal road record, if it weren't for their home dominance we could see them struggling to make that CL spot. But after Christmas, gears changed and we saw it on CL play as well. Rafa Benetiz will be making some changes, i'm sure of it, he'll want to get his guys to stay match fit rather than give them 10 days rest before AC Milan. He may also be tweaking some tactics out to see what is best for the CL Final.
Its definitely sure that Liverpool could give a rats ass about this game and we could see a bore 0-0 draw but i'll give Liverpool a slight win just because i think Charlton will want to fight this one out, after all they did travel all the way from London, so they might as well play for something.
Prediction: Liverpool 1-0 Charlton
Goal Scorer: Peter Crouch
My bet: Under 2.5

Man Utd vs West Ham
This game could be rather meaningless for Man Utd because they play Chelsea on the 19th for the FA Cup final, but Alex Ferguson had purposely rested his players against Chelsea on Wednesday so he could field his starting XI against the Hammers today. Ferguson has suggested he wanted to be fair to all relegation battling teams that he was not going to give West Ham easy passage and that the Hammers would have to earn their victory. Problem is winning at Old Trafford isn't so easy. The Hammers are a terrible road teams in terms of finding the back of the net. Only score 10 times this season allowing 33. Considering they had Tevez and Mascherano, this team has not been feared whatsoever, more of a laughing stock. Firing Alan Pardew had mixed emotions from different areas, bringing in Alan Curbishley did not necessarily settle the dispute. The Hammers team lacks team unity and the only reason we should be watching the Hammers play is because of Tevez's spirit and grit. Other than that, this team has bought and bought but nothing to show for, Matthew Upson was brought in during the Jan transfer window to solidify a partnership with Lucas Neil, but those 2 guys haven't played together since they first met each other.
I don't see any magic done here, i see Utd finishing them off, however i think they will be fortunate enough to get a positive result elsewhere.
Prediction: Man Utd 3-0 West Ham
Goal Scorers: Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo
My bet: Man Utd -0.75

Middlesbrough vs Fulham
Not a fantastic match to watch. Both teams are safe from relegation and both are thinking about the break. A rather OK season for Gareth Southgate's first year at the helm at Boro. Although he did make a pathetic buy in Robert Huth he did manage to get the best out of injury prone Jonathan Woodgate. However, he needs to mend his squad soon, this could be Mark Viduka's last game for Boro. Boro have a rather medicore squad, and thus the medicore ranking.
Fulham on the other hand moved on without Chris Coleman and replaced him with Lawrie Sanchez. Don't think it was such a good idea to replace a coach that close to the end of the season. Sanchez now will have double duty, working with Northern Ireland for their World Cup hopes and Fulham for their European aspiration. Fulham still have not learnt how to win on the road. They have managed only 6 road wins since 2004, however, their home play is what keeps them in the league, but isn't enough for them to go anywhere but dwell in the bottom half.
I think Boro will complete a rather wishy washy season on a high at the Riverside, look for Southgate to ring many changes this off season for the club to hit Europe in 2007/2008.
Prediction: Middlesbrough 3-1 Fulham
Goal Scorers: Mark Viduka (2), Ayegbeni Yakubu, Brian McBride
My bet: Middlesbrough -0.5 (System Play)

Portsmouth vs Arsenal
Lots to play here for Portsmouth, are sudden collapse in form about a month ago, caused Pompey to really cling onto a UEFA Cup spot. Awesome start to the season, winning many praise, but a dip in form since January has people suddenly asking, what happened? Well Harry Redknapp is no stranger to final day drama. He heroically saved this team from Relegation last season, he has seen the horrid slide of relegation, so drama is nothing new for him. He has installed a very good unit this season, i would give Matthew Taylor Pompey player of the year award. Kanu has shown brilliance but he is also a rather selfish player, asking to leave the club. Well expect Kanu gone this off season and Redknapp will surely replace him with a quality player now that he has the financial backing and as well recognition, but he will certainly boost his creditionals if he manage to get this squad into Europe next season. Had he stuck around 5 or 6th place, i would certainly have given him Manager of the Year honors, at this time, not too sure, Steve Coppell seems to be up there right now.
Arsenal....well what can i say, i think Arsene Wenger needs a change. Losing an ally in David Dein at the board is a big blow for Wenger and his spending power. Though Wenger is known to find top quality youngsters, it is always nice to know you have a board member who has your full support. There is rumors suggesting Wenger will step down and if so, Thierry Henry will go as well, meaning we could see a downfall in Arsenal. This is a farely consistent squad however, ridiculous loss' to Sheff Utd and West Ham have really gotten some people think, is it time for a change? Arsenal still are a dominant home team but they need to find a much more consistent road game before they can think of competing with Chelsea and Man Utd. Thierry Henry has been nothing more than a spectator this season, people expected a lot from a guy who carried the squad to last years CL Final. However, the youngsters have shown the way and players such as Cesc Fabregas, Robin Van Persie, and Adebayor have really impressed the crowds. The presence of Gilberto Silva and Julio Baptista were major assets to this young team. Whether or not Arsenal will keep Baptista is a question of what Wenger will do after this match.
I expect Pompey to be more interested fighting for a European spot rather than Arsenal fighting for 3rd against Liverpool.
Prediction: Portsmouth 2-2 Arsenal
Goal Scorers: Kanu, Matthew Taylor, Cesc Fabregas, Thierry Henry
My bet: Over 2.5

Sheffield Utd vs Wigan
A battle for survival. The cards are all on Wigan's side, if they win here, they survive and Sheff Utd drop, a draw will see Wigan still eliminated. After a quality season in 2006, Wigan have seen better days. They were rather clueless this season. Now understanding that they must realize its not easy to stay competitive in the EPL. Losing players like Chimbonda and Jimmy Bulliard were big blows to this small squad. All they have left is pointing the finger at West Ham saying they made a transfer error and we want 10 points deducted from the Hammers so we can survive. Well that is quite pathetic if you ask me, a team begging to find some sort of excuse to survive. There is more boardroom news from Wigan then the team itself.
Sheff Utd are also trying to make excuses, pointing the finger at West Ham as well for transfer reasons. However, unlike Wigan, Sheff Utd have made some positive results this season, with key wins against Arsenal and Watford. The Blades have fared well against bottom dwellers and i don't see that changing here, i think Warnock's men will have what it takes to fight out and see a positive result in a tight match.
Prediction: Sheffield Utd 2-0 Wigan
Goal Scorers: Jonathan Stead, Danny Weber
My bet: No bet, leaning towards Under 2.25

This is it fellas the last weekend.:(

Today´s game will determine a lot regarding the UEFA spots, so everyone should hold their horses before making a play for the weekend´s fixtures. There´s a good chance Blackburn has nothing to play for on Saturday.

Tottenham vs Man City
Tottenham have had a peculiar season. They have the squad to compete with the big boys, but i still think Martin Jol is not the right manager to lead this team onto bigger things. When we think about London, its Chelsea, Arsenal then Tottenham, things need to change. This is a fun team to watch, filled with pace and flare, but i would say the reason why they weren't as good this season as expected would be the abscence of Ledley King. What John Terry is to Chelsea, Ledley King is just as vital for Tottenham's defense. I feel bad for Michael Dawson as it seems this guy has to play 2 positions at once. Tottenham's midfield is definitely a top notch force and in this league you really need a midfield that can control the tempo of a match. Berbatov has been just a fantastic asset to this club. One of the few players who can make a HUGE impact on a team from a different league the season prior on their rookie try. Martin Jol has a huge selection of quality forwards to pick but often he just seems to pick which ever guy he feels like it. We should see them in Europe again next season but i don't know how much longer can a UEFA Cup satisfy the needs of a club of this stature. Tottenham are farely active in the transfer market each year so expect a few changes, whether or not Berbatov doesn't succumb to the lure of Man Utd is another issue to think about.
Man City......this team is downright awful to watch. Not only do they have dressing room problems but they have a hard time finding the back of the net. Only scoring 28 freaking goals! They score more goals on the road then they do at their own ground. Quite pathetic. Just no team spirit, Joey Barton is a cancer to the team Corradi has been a terrible buy, Vassell....well he has looked extremely useless this season, they definitely miss Andy Cole that's for sure. I'm going to say Tottenham will pistol whip these boys and show City that if they cannot score goals, they will be humiliated. I expect a big finish from Tottenham, even though there is no reason for an all out game. Last home game of the season should see a sell out crowd.
My Prediction: Tottenham 4-0 Man City
Goal Scorers: Dimitar Berbatov (2), Robbie Keane, Jermaine Jenas
My bet: Tottenham -1.25

This is it fellas the last weekend.:(

Today´s game will determine a lot regarding the UEFA spots, so everyone should hold their horses before making a play for the weekend´s fixtures. There´s a good chance Blackburn has nothing to play for on Saturday.

it wouldn't matter, i'm writing in terms of what to expect. Even if Blackburn win today, i already placed a -0.5 bet for them against Reading, no matter if they play for pride or UEFA Cup spot

Watford vs Newcastle
If there ever was an overrated team in the EPL, it would be Newcastle. There is without a doubt, Newcastle are one of the biggest clubs in England yet they look like they just got promoted. This team has been trying to figure themselves out for years. Ever since the years of Keagan and Shearer, this squad has looked hopeless, especially upfront. This season, not only do we see problems at the front, but they can't defend. Titus Bramble gets my pick for worse defender of the year. The team is so focused on trying to score goals, they can't seem to find a decent defensive line. Just look at the list of defenders they have, not one is of pure quality. Getting Oguchi was a pretty decent find but it was too little too late. Now that Michael Owen is back, they still have no idea how to score, they got blanked by the Rovers at St James'. Since March, Newcastle have won 2 matches.
Watford....well all i can say is that this was predicted. Losing Ashley Young to Aston Villa :-) was a calling of regrouping for a run at the EPL next year via Championship. Aidy Boothroyd did get a contract extension even though his team got relegated. Goes to show the commitment the board has in their manager. There really was no satisfying moments for this team, it was rather a case of trying not to get humiliated just like Sunderland last season. I think we can expect them back in the EPL for the 2008/2009 season. As far as this match is concerned, i think the Hornets will leave with a bang and add to Newcastle's woes.
Prediction: Watford 1-0 Newcastle
Goal Scorer: Marlon King
My bet: no bet

Bolton vs Aston Villa
I currently have a season long bet, Aston Villa +42 to the Champions at 13.00. As it currently stands right now, Villa are +40 to Man Utd and what i need to ensure of a full win is for a Villa victory.
Bolton are still playing for a UEFA Cup spot and need a win to guarantee themselves European play next season
Aston Villa on the other hand are trying to finish the season on a high, going undefeated in their last 8 trying to go for 9.
I am proud of my Villain's and would like to see them finish on a positive note, however, our recent h2h's with Bolton have shown a rather dull result. In the last 5 matches, these 2 have combined for 3 draws and a win a piece, each side winning during a visit to the other. Now with Big Sam gone though, i think Martin O'Neill has a chance to nip one. Bolton also defeated Villa 1-0 this season when the Villain's had been on a downfall. Now with one of the hottest teams in the premiership, Bolton face an uphill task filled with dressing room questions. Since March, Bolton have won a measely 2 games and whats worse, their last match, they were simply outclassed by a West Ham squad.
I think the difference between the 2 squads is the manager. If Big Sam were still at the helm, i'd give Bolton the tip to win, but with Sammy Lee, i would expect MON to expose the rookie manager. I am going to put a larger wager on this match because 1) i'm a homer 2) i'm being realistic 3)wagering on Bolton will simply counter against my system play so i'm willing to take a risk and trying out to see if the numbers are correct.
I expect Villa to finish the season on a bang and look forward to a highly enticipated 2007/2008 campaign. Villa to Toronto in July!
Prediction: Bolton 1-2 Aston Villa
Goal Scorers: Kevin Davies, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Gareth Barry
My bet: Aston Villa +0.5 and Over 2.25

Back