EliteXC: Unfinished Business - Saturday, July 26

mogo

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
EliteXC: Unfinished Business

Date: Jul 26, 2008
Venue: Stockton Arena
Broadcast: Showtime (8-9 p.m. ET), CBS (9-11 p.m. ET)

MAIN CARD (CBS)
  • Champ Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith (for EliteXC middleweight title)
  • Jake Shields vs. Nick Thompson (for EliteXC welterweight title)
  • Thomas Denny vs. Nick Diaz
  • Shayna Baszler vs. Cristiane Cyborg
  • Jeremy Freitag vs. Anthony Ruiz (swing bout)
MAIN CARD (SHOWTIME)
  • Justin Eilers vs. Antonio Silva (for EliteXC heavyweight title)
  • Brian Caraway vs. Wilson Reis
  • Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Travis Galbraith

Lawler is one of my favorite fighter to root for. He is a talented scrappy guy, and I have heard nothing but good things about his work ethic and training. I have not even looked at the lines for this event.

yeah i haven't seen the lines either... with all these new promotions trying to compete with the UFC the events are coming up faster than they use to... we use to only have the UFC putting on 1 show a month, now there at least 2-3 a month...

- the Lawler/Smith rematch should be exciting.... leaning on Smith at the moment, but would like to see what his odds are as the dog...

- don't really know anything about Shields or Thompson off the top of my head...

- Nick Diaz always puts on a good show, and i would expect him to win his match here...

- the rest of those guys i'm not very familiar with either...

- the Lawler/Smith rematch should be exciting.... leaning on Smith at the moment, but would like to see what his odds are as the dog...

Stand-up: coin toss
Ground: lawler advantage

But Ruthless will be favored. This is not the spot to bet the favorite considering these two will likely slug it out again standing up. I think it would be a smart move on Lawler's behalf to take the fight to the ground, but these two want to duke it out in classic fashion as they were doing before the accidental eye gouge. I am ticked they did not give Smith the official five minutes to recover then resume the fight. I know both fighters were upset the ref overturned the rule that is in place for situations like that.

I just flipped on showtime for the Reis/Caraway fight. Was there a blood bath earlier in the night? There's a huge blood stain on the mat!

Diaz is a bad man. He needs to get back in the UFC though. That other dude could take a punch but that was about it

Less than 33 percent of "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" tickets sold

This past Saturday's "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" event in Stockton, Calif. -- the second EliteXC event to air on network TV via CBS -- had a large and energetic crowd of spectators.

But few of them -- less than 33 percent in all -- paid to be there at the Stockton Arena.

Of the 8,541 tickets the organization printed for the event, just 2,871 were sold. A total of 3,701 were given away, and 2,023 "deadwood" tickets went unused, according to paperwork the California State Athletic Commission today sent to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

This past Saturday's event drew a live gate of just $268,715. A total of $340,960 in tickets were comp'd, and $206,155 worth of tickets went unsold.

Needless to say, the numbers are hugely disappointing.

"Unfinished Business" also turned out to be a ratings bust; after peaking with more than 6.5 million viewers for its network-TV debut in May, this past Saturday's ratings slipped by more than 40 percent. A simultaneous Spike TV replay of UFC 84 -- an event two months' old -- actually drew more viewers (433,000 to 341,000) in the covered "males 18-34" demographic, though EliteXC scored a slightly higher overall rating.

Despite the live gate and ratings disappointments, the event was lauded for improved production values and better pacing. The night's CBS card (and preceding Showtime card) featured solid match-ups and good fights, though without superstars Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson and Gina Carano competing -- and with less advertising on CBS airwaves -- the show failed to generate the type of buzz that accompanied May's CBS debut.

EliteXC returns to CBS airwaves on Oct. 4 live from the 20,000-seat BankAtlantic Center near Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Antonio Silva tops "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" official fighters salaries

Antonio Silva headlined the Showtime portion of the event, defeated Justin Eilers, picked up EliteXC's heavyweight title, and took home the night's biggest payday at this past Saturday's "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today obtained Silva's and the rest of the reported salaries from the California State Athletic Commission.

Silva earned a hefty $200,000 -- or 37.5 percent -- of the night's $533,501 total payroll.

Other top earners included main-event winner and middleweight champ Robbie Lawler ($90,000), Stockton product Nick Diaz ($60,000), and newly crowned welterweight champion Jake Shields ($45,000).

"Unfinished Business" took place July 26 at the Stockton Arena in Stockton, Calif. After a one-hour slot on Showtime, the event returned for its second stint on network television as part of the CBS "Saturday Night Fights" series.

The full payroll for the event included:

Robbie Lawler: $90,000 (which included a $45,000 win bonus) def. Scott Smith: $14,000

Nick Diaz: $60,000 (no win bonus) def. Thomas Denny: $8,500

Jake Shields: $45,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Nick Thompson: $25,000

Cristiane Cyborg: $6,000 ($3,000 win bonus) def. Shayna Baszler: $8,000

Antonio Silva: $200,000 ($100,000 win bonus) def. Justin Eilers: $20,000

Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Travis Galbraith: $5,000

Wilson Reis: $5,000 ($2,500 win bonus) def. Bryan Caraway: $2,000

Anthony Ruiz: $5,001 ($3,000 win bonus) def. Jeremy Freitag: $2,5000

David Douglas: $4,000 ($1,500 win bonus) def. Marlon Matias: $2,500

Carl Seumanutafa: $4,000 ($2,000 win bonus) def. Mike Cook: $2000

Drew Montgomery: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus) def. Brandon Tarn: $2,000

Now, the usual disclaimer: the figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. In other words, these are simply base salaries reported to the CSAC and do not represent the total amounts earned by each fighter.

After the fact though, just my $.02,

I've watched some of Chris Cyborg fights on the net in Brazil. I was amazed at her striking and power before she came into the US market. When I first heard she signed with Elite XC, my reaction was that no woman will stop her and that Gina is in big trouble now. Many of my friends predicted a submission by Baszler, given her recent run of wins by submissions. I'm not surprised that Cyborg walked through Baszler without that much difficulty.

Elite XC said that Gina will face whoever is the winner of this fight. They have protected her long enough....this will be a very true to test to her.

Elite XC said that Gina will face whoever is the winner of this fight. They have protected her long enough....this will be a very true to test to her.

Gina seemed very anxious to get it on with Cyborg before and after the fight in her interviews- she didn't seem intimidated at all... it will definately be a great fight....

Not so fast my friend...this is total b.s.

Again, Elite XC protecting it's superstar....

Report: Gina Carano vs. Kelly Kobold-Gavin at Oct. 4 EliteXC

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 02, 2008 at 2:18 pm ET
kelly-kobold-gavin.jpg
After her dominating win over Shayna Baszler at last weekend's "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" event, Cristiane Cyborg (5-0) was mentioned as a possible Oct. 4 opponent for EliteXC poster girl Gina Carano (6-0).

Instead, the undefeated Carano is expected to face Kelly Kobold-Gavin (16-2-1), according to Mike Chiappetta of NBCSports.com, citing a source close to one of the fighters.

The bout is expected to be announced soon, according to the report.

The Carano vs. Kobold-Gavin fight will be one of the main draws for the October CBS-broadcast event, which takes place at the 22,000-seat BankAtlantic Center near Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Heavyweight Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson is slated to headline the event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported last weekend that Carano, a gladiator on NBC's "American Gladiators," had been announced as an Oct. 4 competitor. However, an opponent wasn't immediately revealed.

Kobold-Gavin, a six-year MMA veteran, hasn't competed since August 2006, when she suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Julie Kedzie at a BodogFIGHT event. It was her second consecutive loss after strarting her career with a near-spotless 16-0-1 record.

Tickets for the Oct. 4 event are now on sale and start at $30.

For the latest regarding EliteXC on CBS III, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

yeah i missed this...

i guess they want to hold off on a battle of the undefeateds, and build it up a bit more.... still Kobold-Gavin has a very good record at 16-2-1, may still be a pretty good fight...

Back