Staff member
The Razor's Edge: Edgerrin James Released

by Jon Alba (Contributor)
1 62 reads
Breaking News
April 28, 2009

97541_feature.jpg

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/163465-the-brash-the-young-they-are-ballers
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> hideMustRead();</SCRIPT>In a move that was very much long anticipated, the NFC Champion Arizona Cardinals have released ill-tempered running back Edgerrin James. He was entering his final year of a four-year/$30 million deal.
James had been extremely unhappy with Cardinals management as well as talent, feeling that he was being forced into becoming a "blocking back." He demonstrated his unhappiness when in the midst of a deep playoff run in 2008, he claimed he would not be returning with the team regardless of their postseason outcome.

Edgerrin would go on to continuously share time with J.J. Arrington, and despite heating up rather quickly on the field, still displayed he was upset.
This past Sunday, the Cardinals drafted running back Chris "Beanie" Wells out of Ohio State, thus signifying the end of "The Edge" in Arizona. While this was all occurring, it was revealed that James himself was even unaware of the draft status, and was actually attending a Miami Heat playoff game in Florida.
James stands as first in all rushing yards amongst active players, but only rushed for 514 yards with three touchdowns in 2008.
The former Miami Hurricane alumnus was drafted in 1999 with the fourth overall pick by the Indianapolis Colts.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" sizset="122" sizcache="3"><TBODY sizset="122" sizcache="3"><TR class=oddrow sizset="300" sizcache="3"><TD noWrap>31(31)</TD><TD sizset="300" sizcache="3">Arizona</TD><TD width=150 sizset="301" sizcache="3" ?>Chris Wells</TD><TD sizset="302" sizcache="3">RB</TD><TD sizset="303" sizcache="3">Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow sizset="304" sizcache="3"><TD> </TD><TD colSpan=4 sizset="304" sizcache="3">Wells possess a rare combination of size, speed and balance as a runner. He is one of the most talented prospects at any position in this year's draft, but we have concerns about his durability and his mental toughness.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:shake:

edge ran really well in the playoffs, but its not surprising at all. such is the life of a successful RB in the NFL

The only thing that's surprising is the spite with which this was done.

Arizona can front like they wanted to wait to make sure they got an RB in the draft all they want, but there wasn't a person in the league that didn't know they were going to release EJ no matter what.

They held onto him through the free agent signing period because he pissed all over them during the season. So they made sure his options going forward were as limited as possible before they let him go.

Evens things out, I suppose, but neither of their actions (his nor the team's) were really all that laudable.

ya, hightower is solid. i have an edgerrin james colts jersey. bought it because i saw jermaine dupri wearing it on the where the party at video. my name is james and i copyed JD's style in that i wear it backwards. haha. actually i should say i used to. only wore it about twice. you know i had to get a lebron jersey too. i'm only going to get jersey's of people who's last name is james..

ya, hightower is solid. i have an edgerrin james colts jersey. bought it because i saw jermaine dupri wearing it on the where the party at video. my name is james and i copyed JD's style in that i wear it backwards. haha. actually i should say i used to. only wore it about twice. you know i had to get a lebron jersey too. i'm only going to get jersey's of people who's last name is james..

good idea, i need a good pro with last name charles

I'm hearing maybe the Saints. But I think Thomas is an every down back, and Bush adds another dimension to the RB position.

Back