Economics of Soccer

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Two topics that I am interested in, economics and soccer. I want to come up with something that relates to both but can't quite narrow any idea down.

Just some brainstorming stuff

1. Something that has to do with the transfer market
2. The economic impact of being promoted to Division 1 in leagues and how teams react and what happens if they stay/get relegated.

1. maybe something to do with China lately, how they will effect the transfer market going forward

2. pick a league, England is probably easiest, and over like a 10 year period track the 3 promoted teams and how it effected their finances, also maybe something about do parachute payments help?

or the effect of transfer on bottom line?

i.e something like when Madrid bought Beckham, the shirt sales and merchandise alone covered the fee, so it wasn't solely a football decision

fits in with number 1 and 2 but you could look at a club like Leeds who were in the CL 15 years ago, one of the biggest clubs in England, and now can't get out of the championship, their ownership is a mess

or find 2 clubs that got promoted in the same year, 1 that has done well, 1 that has failed economically, and track the reasons why

ive thought about this topic a bunch of times but never really looked into it much...its a much more complex system that american sports

Thanks teed, Portsmouth also came to mind. I need 15 pages for graduate economics seminar class. Thought this might be a fun paper to research

Thanks teed, Portsmouth also came to mind. I need 15 pages for graduate economics seminar class. Thought this might be a fun paper to research

Pompey definitely interesting

Could get a few pages alone out of what their ownership became too

MLS structure as a playoff system vs relegation in the rest of the world.

World cup economics for hosting country and payouts for TR teams (including training budgets and resoirxes allocated toward the national team)
Economics of us youth soccer from a class perspective. It's actually a pretty upper class sport here vs the world

Actually the World Cup thing is a great idea OM. There's a ton of shit on that.

I spoke to him.. He's a footy fan.. He said Chinese transfer market, TV rights in the lower leagues, parachute plans are all a good idea

He said a paper on Leeds United is fine.. Just to see if there is any good research in that as opposed to some ESPN bullshit

Nah those are good stories for some basic research but I need some peer reviewed shit for a paper like this

good stuff Alan

easy paper to write is the one OM suggested, World Cup hosting impact

Brasilian transfer agents. Each player is owned by a consortium and those big money transfers trickle down. Thus the reasoning with some of the transfer fiascos with Neymar, Douglas Costa etc. There are reasons besides wanting to get out of Brasil that make these players transfer to more remote places.

Since you're a Spurs fan you can look at different types of ownerships and structures of clubs.
You will see a ton of new owners this upcoming season. Whether it's majority stake or consortium.
Everton is already on the move as they will have 75% of the club owner by Chinese group

Back