Eastern Michigan vs. Liberty Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Eastern Michigan vs. Liberty LendingTree Bowl Picks and Odds Analysis

Eastern Michigan Eagles vs. Liberty Flames
Saturday, December 18, 2021 at 5:45 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Hancock Whitney Stadium in Mobile, Alabama

Eastern Michigan's Dependence on Passing

Passing is uniquely important to the Eastern Michigan offense. The Eagles own the nation's 21st-highest pass-play percentage.

They are led by quarterback Ben Bryant whose success -- or lack thereof -- is decisive for the offense's success.

In all of Eastern Michigan's losses but one, Bryant threw as many or more interceptions than he did touchdowns.

Likewise, his least productive games -- as measured by passing yards -- have tended to coincide with his offense's lowest scoring outputs.

Of the handful of Eagle running backs who have accumulated a double-digit number of carries this season, one averages over four YPC: Jawon Hamilton.

Eastern Michigan's emphasis on passing is further evident in the rarity with which Hamilton gets 10 or more carries in a single game despite his strong YPC.

Hamilton's rushing numbers, however, are as great as they are largely because of two games.

He achieved one massive gain against Western Michigan that helped him amass a significant rushing total in that game. Western Michigan, by the way, ranks about 80 spots behind Liberty in limiting the opponent's YPC. He also dominated against 1-11 UMass.

His small role in the offense, the rarity with which he exceeds 50 yards in a game, and his lack of success against stronger defenses make him an unimportant factor in this bowl game.

Liberty's Pass Defense

Because passing is so important to Eastern Michigan, the big question becomes: can Liberty's pass defense punish EMU for relying so heavily on its passing attack?

The answer to this question is definitely "yes."

Liberty's pass defense ranks third nationally, as measured by its ability to limit the opponent's passing yards per game.

This team has a nice pass defense because it is deep and well-built with quality at the cornerback position.

Chris Megginson is one Flame cornerback worth relying on. He has earned a reputation for being a shutdown cornerback, for locking down his side of the field on defense.

His team's top cornerback, Megginson is praised for his combination of speed and instinct and his ability to match up with a variety of different wide receivers.

Duron Lowe is another positive factor at the position with his proven experience and skill set. At UTEP, he earned an All-Conference-USA Honorable Mention.

Liberty's Big Name

Liberty's biggest name on offense is arguably quarterback Malik Willis, the former Auburn transfer.

His poor play down the stretch helps explain the Flames' ongoing, three-game losing streak.

During these last three losses, Willis threw three touchdowns but six interceptions.

Moreover, he failed to exceed 2.6 YPC in any of those three games despite doing so in seven of his eight previous games.

12 interceptions are a lot for a quarterback to throw in a season. Yet Willis threw as many in the seven games he played in since October 9.

While Willis is a big name, he also has a big interception problem that strongly attests to his depreciated quality of play.

This depreciated individual quality is clearly relevant to my "under" pick for this bowl game because, during Liberty's last three losses, the Flames mustered 14 points at Ole Miss, 16 versus Louisiana, and 16 versus Army.

While one will counter that these schools regularly allow fewer points per game than Eastern Michigan, the point is that they are allowing fewer points to Liberty than they do on average.

When the Flame offense on Saturday fails again to exceed the other team's opposing points per game average, then the "under" will hit because of how high the total is for this game.

In other words, Eastern Michigan allows 29 points per game and Liberty scoring well fewer than 29 will allow the "under" to easily hit.

It Comes Down To Willis

Given Eastern Michigan's run defense stats, it seems clear that the Flames will try to run a lot.

But there is no correspondence between strong Flame rushing numbers and Flame scoring. For example, they ran for 284 against Ole Miss but still mustered only 14 points.

Liberty's scoring success in this bowl game will come down to Willis' performance, yet Willis is repeatedly struggling in every key aspect of his game.

To be fair, it's not all his fault. The Flames rank 127th in limiting the opponent's sack percentage.

He'll only be able to run for his life successfully so many times.

Like just about every team, Eastern Michigan has, occasionally, allowed a big play on the ground to an opposing quarterback.

But the Eagles are regularly strong at limiting opposing quarterbacks on the ground.

For example, Toledo's Dequan Finn and Northern Illinois' Rocky Lombardi have enjoyed massive rushing performances in individual games this season, but the Eagles permitted them negligible success on the ground.

The Verdict

Liberty's top-level pass defense will limit Eastern Michigan's pass attack, which, in turn, will impede the Eagles from scoring many points.

On the other side, Malik Willis will continue struggling behind meager pass protection, as a result of his proneness to interceptions, and as a consequence of Eastern Michigan's comfort defending against mobile quarterbacks.

Best Bet: Under 59 at -113 with BetOnline

That could be, decent Liberty D...bad EM D, but struggling Liberty O would look like a good recipe for Under.

I've been baffled by this Liberty team this season. Like outgaining Army yet losing by 15. Like only being outgained by 3 yards to ULL, yet losing by 28! Like only being outgained by 9 yards at Ole Miss, yet losing by 13. Outgaining ULM and Syracuse, but losing both, you get the point.

To think Willis is still considered a high NFL draft pick is equally baffling to me. Guys like him a dime a dozen in college. Last year was nice, this year not so much. Mabye we'll blame the OL for part of that - think it is largely the same group though. Same OL, same receivers, same RB, same HC, same OC. Different Willis and different results.

Sounds like it. This and some other Freeze press conference quotes:

I’m proud of Malik. I’m proud of all of our kids that have chosen that this is what I want to do, I want to finish, we want to go to bowl games together every year. Yeah it’s a sacrifice, but the things in life, the good things in life, usually come from things that you had to sacrifice or work for. The easy things that you usually get, they don’t last and they probably don’t lead you to much good to be honest. There’s a little sacrifice to stay here after school’s out and to get ready for ab owl game, but this is what we signed up for so finish. Learn to finish in marriages and in families and in jobs. That’s my tangent for the day.”

IN THIS WORLD OF PLAYERS ELECTING TO OPT OUT OF BOWL GAMES, WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT MALIK WILLIS TO WANT TO GO OUT WITH HIS BROTHERS ONE MORE TIME?​

“I would be so disappointed if one of our players, I don’t care what your status is, whether you’re a first round pick or headed into the work force, I don’t understand that thinking. I guess they could turn it on me and say well head coaches leave and go to other jobs and don’t finish. I don’t know. I don’t claim to have all of the answers, but I wish they would let me get on a committee with a few other coaches. I think we could help solve some of this craziness. Maybe there ought to be a hiring season that you can’t hire a coach until they are able to finish with their durn team. I don’t understand. It’s just a bad, I think we are headed down the road of some things that are not great for our sport.”

DO YOU WORRY ABOUT MOTIVATION FOR YOUR TEAM GOING INTO THIS BOWL GAME?​

“I worry about this team, period. We are a good team and we won games and we’re bowl eligible, and we should celebrate that always, don’t get me wrong. But I don’t feel like I pulled the right switches or found the right button to hit to get us to click on all cylinders. That’s not something that sits extremely well with me. That is motivating for me. To say that I would sit here and not worry about just our team in general. We’ve had a tendency not to have complete focus or we’ve just been off in our operations. Whether it’s one guy, whether it’s two guys, and it just kills a drive or kills a play or gives them a touchdown pass. I’m determined that we’re going to play better in this bowl game.”
“I’ve been pleased, so far, with practice. We practiced Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I liked two of them a lot. Didn’t care for one of them much. Excited to get back out tonight after exams today and practice again. Then, we will travel tomorrow, obviously. Yes, I’m worried about the motivation factor, but optimistic also that we will respond the right way.”

HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO FINISH THE SEASON ON A POSITIVE NOTE?​

“I really don’t care how people remember it. I care what happens with the people on this campus and in our building. It’s important to me. I believe I’m 5-1 or 6-1 as a head coach in bowl games so they are important to me always. We somehow found a way to get our kids to believe that, understand that. We hope that will be the case this year. It’s important to me. I like going into the offseason feeling like we got better, at least for this bowl game, and got to another eight win season. It’s hard to win college football games. I think everybody is finally listening to me on that. Unless you just have the better players every single week. I don’t know that that’s going to be the case in our world right now in the scheduling that we have. We’re not going to roll our there and just have the better players from top to bottom than others. So, you better play well, and you better take care of the ball. Unfortunately, I don’t think we always reached our potential. That’s, again, frustrating, so I want to reach it in this bowl game. That will make us all feel a little better heading into spring practice, for sure.”

Yes, the Liberty D should be a test for Eastern Mich. Generally EM O had performed well, but then hit the skids to close the season and Liberty D unit should offer the best challenge EM has seen all year sans Wisconsin.

Willis was under a crazy amount of pressure as his oline did a horrible job protecting him down the stretch, that low ypc is very deceiving since sacks count against a qb rushing totals in ncaa, truth is he still been a effective runner. EMU sporting the 97th ranked pass rush in terms of sack percentage, and that playing in the mac, i have a feeling Willis will be pretty comfy in this game which probably means he puts up some really good numbers and points imo.. not saying that means over, i dunno what emu will score but im pretty confident liberty offense will have a strong game,

I feel like a lot of these larger early lines are set assuming the favorite plays up to their full potential, their preseason expectations or what have you.

And I know they can, like with Coastal, or Toledo, or in this case Liberty. Just some of these teams have failed so often as favorites it is very very hard to go out on that limb with them in the bowl.

I feel like a lot of these larger early lines are set assuming the favorite plays up to their full potential, their preseason expectations or what have you.

And I know they can, like with Coastal, or Toledo, or in this case Liberty. Just some of these teams have failed so often as favorites it is very very hard to go out on that limb with them in the bowl.

i trust liberty a ton more than say coastal. i cant stand most these early bowls with these big spreads, i doubt i play very many of them cause for most part i dont love the matchup to wanna play dog and i agree it prob not a great move laying a bunch of points with a bunch of teams who have under performed for much the year and have questionable motivation at best.

Back