Early analysis for LSU/UK...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
LSU invades Commonwealth Stadium for a CBS Saturday afternoon affair with the Wildcats. Let's hope all the UK fans haven't hopped off the bandwagon and are gonna go to Keeneland instead (a very tempting thought considering the quality of racing during this fall meet)...

The Tigers are the undisputed best team in football at this point (though I did bet them "NO" to win the BCS Tuesday afternoon at -168 for a medium bet)... They do pretty much everything well. Meanwhile, the Wildcats are coming off a shameful loss in Columbia where they pretty much gift-wrapped one for South Carolina. Andre Woodson looks to atone for his sub-par performance and the only way for him to vault back into the Heisman race is to win at least one - if not both - of these next two home games, each of which UK will be the underdog.

The schedule gets brutal at this point for UK, and naysayers will criticize each of the teams UK has beaten thus far - and perhaps rightfully so. But you can only beat who they put in front of you. Perhaps UK is like the Cowboys - and USC is like New England... Once you finally play a real team, one with players, then you stumble. But we'll not know until Saturday.

Kentucky saw some of the things Florida did the other night. No, the Cats don't run the spread option. But with a quarterback who usually makes good decisions, they have a chance at having some success against the Tigers. Also, you have to think Woodson won't play another game that poorly from here on out if he's the quarterback that most of the scouts are making him out to be. It happens to everyone (except for the robot who plays for the Colts); so I'm willing to cut him some slack as a UK fan.
It's a dream situation for the Cats, who face LSU in the biggest sammich since "The Sweet Daddy" was introduced at Jenny's Diner in Louisville. Eat it and the fries, and the meal's on the house - that's how big this sammich is.

The Tigers played in a game in perhaps the best environment of the season (had Florida gone in unbeaten you can mark me down as saying it would have been the most anticipated SEC regular season game of the 2000's).... Next up, they have a rapidly-improving Auburn team in a game that could well decide the West Division should Auburn continue to handle business from here on out. Add in the 49-0 win over Kentucky last year (in which LSU was coming off a loss and seething), the UK loss to drop it out of the ranks of the unblemished, and you get a recipe for a big, big look-ahead for the Bayou Bengals, who traditionally always struggle in Rexington.

I was there in 2003 when the goalposts were about to come down. I tried, unsuccessfully, to keep a couple of friends off the field as to not "hex" the Wildcats... Sure enough, LSU completes the play of the year (ESPY-ized), if not the play of the decade, to beat the Cats at Commonwealth Stadium and send us all home in stunned dismay.

Point is, LSU is about the same favorite now as they were then, and they had no business winning that day. Something tells me the same thing is going to happen Saturday. UK has had two extra days to prepare and LSU winning the way they did last week was the best thing possible for the Cats. I am fairly sure LSU comes out as flat as a pancake. A performance like they put up against Tulane in the first half is not out of the question. If that happens, the Tigers are in deep, deep trouble.

As far as power ratings go, I made the game pretty close to where it opened - LSU a 9-point favorite... But that's just raw numbers. You have to account for sammich/look-ahead factors... emotional drainage from the UF win last week on one side... and extra rest, motivation to avenge a rotten loss last week, motivation from the Henderson Hail Mary, motivation from 2006's 49-0 embarassment that had many calling for Brooks's ass... and motivation to play No. 1. Factor that all in, and I would think most situational cappers will be all over UK.

I won't go as far as calling the outright upset at this point, but will take the points for a medium play. I'm sure "homerism" will set in and I'll make a small ML play Saturday should I get the right price. I look forward to watching it and here's my agenda IF I were home.

8:00 - First beer.
10:30 - Leave home.
11:30 - Get to Keeneland. Make most wagers for the day.
12:10 - Get to Commonwealth Stadium and tailgate. Watch game.

I'll let you guys decide what else I should do - too bad it's not realistic - or I would be there!

Hope everyone who goes has fun, and hope this incessant drunken babbling hasn't gotten everyone bored.

Go Cats!
:cheers:

I don't see the Tigers coming out flat, and they will not be emotional drained, as they have never had to defend a #1 ranking during the regular season since 1959. Seeing Woodson versus LSU's defense should be interesting. I am rooting for a SEC Heisman -- Woodson, Dorsey, McFadden, Tebow -- but a poor performance from Woodson (what I'm hoping for as a LSU homer) will hurt his chances. GL to you, but I'm riding the other side of this spread, if I bet it at all.

Woodson's success will be determined by the amount of time he is given and its that simple. He didn't fumble once, throw a lateral once, and throw a pick once because he had a bad day and woke up on the wrong side of bed, he had red jerseys in his face and was pressured for most of the night. Now with that said, I think if LSU has 1 weak spot on defense, it is the pass rush. They stop the run and they cover better than they pass rush so that to me is really their only weakness. If LSU takes away the deep game and makes UK sustain drives, could be a long day.

Well clearly you are basing this on situations and ruling out the full team on both sides. 22 on 22 I could see Kentucky hanging in.
When the middle of the 3rd Qtr FINALLY arrives for your team the high hopes and dreams will be all but afterthoughts.
It will be more like where did we park and have you seen enough yet?

LSU is 0 for its last 3 against the spread SITUATIONALLY that comes to an end on Saturday.

I'm not saying LSU played poorly on Saturday but I assure you that Florida can not perform any better. LSU has come out flattish in the past two and I just do not see it happening again. I was all over Florida last week and knew it would be very close. I didnt expect to trail the whole game but Florida is FAR superior to both the COCKS and the CATS.

LSU will annihilate your boy Woodson and he will be lucky to see the 2nd Half. He better have some serious mobility and throw darts on a dead sprint. The big question is HOW THE FOCK do those Cats stop the Tigers?
Whether we pound and injure half your defense or throw it I cant see Kentucky holding LSU under 30 on a horrific offensive day much less 40 on an average day. You have a great QB Im just not sure what his completion % will be from his back.

I've been following your writeups since I first started at Covers years and years and years ago. I respect your opinion and will not play games that you are against at times but here you are DEAD wrong. Now the backdoor with LES is always open but you know better than to make a MEDIUM play on hopes of a backdoor against the #1 defense and #1 team in the country. At least when it doesnt involve your team you do.

I BEG YOU TO TAKE THE OVER.
At least you can say you have a chance at halftime.

In my opinion, LSU got a big scare with UF. Florida dominated them and I was surprised at that but LSU managed to pull it out. You think they will let that happen again? Not this year ! hehe

Woodson's success will be Now with that said, I think if LSU has 1 weak spot on defense, it is the pass rush. quote]

:36_11_6:

Right or wrong.. You stop the run best. You cover guys good. I stated...."IF LSU has 1 weak spot" and that is like saying, if you really want to pick something they don't do all that well its get a pass rush. That is the weakest link on their defense, doesn't mean they are not good at it, means they stop the run and cover better.

P&G - I don't agree with that at all. Kentucky's defense is far better than previous editions. In fact, I give UK a chance to get the cash BECAUSE I expect the defense to keep them in it... not the offense to score a bunch.

I will be shocked if LSU gets to 31.

P&G - Kentucky's defense is far better than previous editions. quote]

Well one would hope so.

I said my peace I'm not trying to argue with a Kentucky fan that actually has something to root for in football season for a change.

I just figured I could sway you to lower how much you lose.
If its within 14 I will be EXTREMELY shocked.
And it will be because LSU was up 17 and quit on offense (See Cocks)

Poor Kentucky is catching the Tigers at the wrong time and by halftime you will see what I mean. A similar first half to last year would not surprise.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, this is the perfect spot to catch LSU. If you think they are going to come with an effort CLOSE to what they had last week - especially with who they play next week - then you should bet on LSU, because they'll likely get the cash...

These LSU backers sure talk a lot of shit...

No one is talking shit, train. Ideas of capping this game are being discussed. No where in this thread do I see negative words spoken about another. Anyone that spends the least bit of time on this forum knows not to question CKR, but people still have the right to disagree.

I cannot wish you two (train & CKR) good luck because I will be on LSU most likely, but I will wish you good health.

P&G - I don't agree with that at all. Kentucky's defense is far better than previous editions. In fact, I give UK a chance to get the cash BECAUSE I expect the defense to keep them in it... not the offense to score a bunch.

I will be shocked if LSU gets to 31.

We saw what woodson did against a decent defense last week at Columbia. Is it fair to ask him to manage the game better against a much stouter defense in LSU? Im on the fence with this game - both views in this thread make sense to me....The key to Kentucky getting the cover/SU win is that they will need to move the ball and put points on the board......Thats what Im nervous about.........

Don't think KY can win, but i do believe they will cover. This will be a big road game for LSU. the only two games on the road so far is tulane, which they struggled the first half, and Miss St opening night.
LSU will not be as excitied as they were on opening night and commonwealth will be rocking saturday.
Students have already started setting up tents to camp and tailgate today!

I will take the points for sure, and hope Ky has the ball with a shot to win with 3 minutes or less in the fourth quarter.

Go CATS!!!

No one is talking shit, train. Ideas of capping this game are being discussed. No where in this thread do I see negative words spoken about another. Anyone that spends the least bit of time on this forum knows not to question CKR, but people still have the right to disagree.

About the game, not eachother...

No one is talking shit, train. Ideas of capping this game are being discussed. No where in this thread do I see negative words spoken about another....

Ummm....this is a text-book definition of talking shit. I spot maybe a couple of negative words, or at least very sarcastic and bordering on negative...

When the middle of the 3rd Qtr FINALLY arrives for your team the high hopes and dreams will be all but afterthoughts. It will be more like where did we park and have you seen enough yet?

LSU will annihilate your boy Woodson and he will be lucky to see the 2nd Half. He better have some serious mobility and throw darts on a dead sprint...Whether we pound and injure half your defense or throw it I cant see Kentucky holding LSU under 30 on a horrific offensive day much less 40 on an average day. You have a great QB Im just not sure what his completion % will be from his back...

I BEG YOU TO TAKE THE OVER.
At least you can say you have a chance at halftime.

I said my peace I'm not trying to argue with a Kentucky fan that actually has something to root for in football season for a change.

I think it's just one confident and excited fan to another, so no harm, no foul; but there's definately an element of trash talk, here, BC...:cheers:

My personal power ratings have LSU winning by 8 over Kentucky in Lexington. I account for HFA in my ratings.

Any spread where LSU is favored by -7 to -9 is untouchable for me. And even though my PPR's have Kentucky covering the spread, I do not like to bet against powerful teams like LSU. Some handicappers call this "betting into power", and they say you will lose more often than you win when you do this. It might only be about 53% losses, but that means only 47% wins when you bet against power.

There are much better bets on the board...........

Yeah, it's definitely not a big deal at all...just saying, I hate reading stuff like that from posters when I'm on a side. It seems like such bad karma...

I'm sure "homerism" will set in and I'll make a small ML play Saturday should I get the right price. I look forward to watching it and here's my agenda IF I were home.

8:00 - First beer.
10:30 - Leave home.
11:30 - Get to Keeneland. Make most wagers for the day.
12:10 - Get to Commonwealth Stadium and tailgate. Watch game.

I'll let you guys decide what else I should do - too bad it's not realistic - or I would be there!

Hope everyone who goes has fun, and hope this incessant drunken babbling hasn't gotten everyone bored.

Go Cats!

That does sound like a perfect day and we have it all planned out up here for an awesome weekend.
Tomorrow:
10:00 Tailgate before Keeneland with the grill fired up
1:10 First post and we got hooked up in the Clubhouse at the races marveling over how magnificent each new dress that you spy really is.
6:00 Dinner hopefully somewhere nice depending upon the day at the track
9:00 ITS MADNESS TIME!! LETS GET THE HOOPS SEASON STARTED OFF RIGHT

Saturday:
No time for Keeneland as its first beer no later than 8 and at the stadium with some kind of buyou gumbo in the works by 10am. An all day tailgate leading up to the most exciting game for me of the year when #1 invades the Bluegrass. Does it get any better than that? Oh yea its actually supposed to feel like fall also....played golf Monday and it was 90 degrees, gametime temp should be low to mid 60's and perfect football weather. Wish you were up here to enjoy this and partake in an abundance of cocktails.

:cheers::cheers:
Also like the points with the Cats and if you got any horses that you like tomorrow hit me up, I could use a little help not really my strong suit out there.

K-Macc... I'll fire some horses at you for KEE tomorrow in this thread. Took today off but I'll be betting them through TVG and my offshores (that stay out of the pool for my bigger bets) tomorrow all day... doing the research tonight...

I wish I could be there man. I wish I could be there... Especially to see all the girls in their lovelies tomorrow. Weather still warm enough to get summertime dresses? I know last weekend was some spectacle...

The one thing rarely mentioned that has Tiger fans more optimistic is that we have been starting a Soph, True Freshmen, True Freshmen, and a first year JUCO player at WR for the past FOUR games. Our one reliable All American WR has been out. LSU has killed at least 10 drives with drops from the young guys in the past couple weeks. Even if Doucet is 85% and plays that translates into at least one more sustained TD drive IMO.
That could very well be the cover killing TD.

As far as talking smack or whatever I cant help myself. I may get kicked out of one of my fantasy leagues for that very fact well that and dominating year after year with 5 straight Super Bowls and 3 of the past 5 titles. Also, look at my title under my name. I am THE LSU HOMER.

I cant remember the last home game where we didnt have the campus covered in tailgaters by Friday AM. Some people get out there on Tuesday and have a week long party.

And the reason that LSU hasnt been getting enough pressure on the QBs is because the holding calls have been extremely lax in our games this season. Dorsey gets held on every play. He finally elbowed the guy in the face from Florida on the last drive. Knocked the dude out cold and Tebow had to commit grounding to avoid the sack.
Dorsey was covered in gator blood leaving the field.

Im just extremely excited to see what you guys expect to be a close great game. As arrogant as it sounds those games prior to Florida when the win is really never in doubt kind of get dull by the 2nd half. Then you just wait to watch the Tigers play defense cause you know somebody is about to get their bell rung.

The best part Lindetrain is that this shit talking comment comes from a Trojan fan. Our fans are confident and passionate even when we dont have a team loaded with studs. I know USC can not say the same.
Nothing worse than a stadium filled or 3/4 filled with bandwagoneers.

Thanks Rexy for any help you can give me with the horses...not sure if its warm enough for the summertime dresses but there is no doubt in my mind they will be dressed to impress. Appreciate all your hard work and knowledge that inpart to this forum!:tiphat:

Thanks fellas...

Let's try a cheap maiden claimer in the 2nd at KEE (1:45 Eastern post)... I got three longshots who look like viable options. It's a wide-open race so I'll let you pick between the 1 (Capetown Evening), the 4 (Sinuosity) and the 5 (Siddhartha)... Each are 12-to-1 in the morning and all should be cheaper at post.

A good case can be made for both the 4 and the 5, but I'm siding with the 1.... She drops back in for a tag after a eighth place finish in a special weight race last time... Two and three back she was a game second at Churchill in her two starts for a tag... and a good effort here puts her in the mix...

Also, in the fifth at KEE, I'm sure you won't see much of a price on Gun Salute - that is, if everyone is like me and convinced you'll see a better effort than he's shown in his last two. Throw those out, remember he's won twice on the Keeneland lawn and has Billy Mott as the trainer and you've got the horse to go with (the 3 in the 5th)...

I've got work to do before I bet anything or give out advice to bet any others.... but it's a start fellas... GL with the ponies - AND hunting the fillies!!!

http://kentucky.com/287/story/200789.html

A great read about the Bluegrass Calamity from five years ago... As I've said before, I was at the game but I knew exactly what was coming because the LSU touchdown came in the end zone (and at the goalpost) I was prepared to attack, so I saw it all unfold... It felt like it was yesterday...

As far as Little - he's still got pain and swelling but it's not as bad as they are making it out to be and the people I've talked to said he is going to start..

CKR, you know that was you in the cow costume.
Don't try to play it off like you didnt storm the field with the 10K other clueless kitty kat fans. Your utters went limp when reality set in.

We are dead even. That 30 some odd point comeback in basketball at the PMAC was the most disgusting (our end) and impressive (friggin UK bballers) display I have ever seen in one half of basketball.

Just to be clear I wanted to get as much truth on the table about this weeks game as possible. I had no ill intent or shit talking ambitions.
Seeing my team play 60 minutes 5 times now has me appreciating what we are able to witness this year. I wish you good health and hope to ride several of the winners you pick today and tomorrow.

No ill will P&G. I have noticed several LSU fans have popped up here in recent days. I knew of four or five of you beforehand but it seems now that you have gotten past Florida, most of you have your "voices" now, hahaha...

There is no doubt who the better team is on paper. There is also little doubt in my mind which team (Kentucky) will play closer to their best capability tomorrow. Will it be good enough to win the game on the field? Prolly not. Will it be good enough to get the cash? I say so. But that's why they play it; and I'll be watching.... and for a rare time, with the volume ON in the office (six games, I usually get stuck with some other shit but the Notre Dame queer in our office is gonna hafta take a backseat and he understands why tomorrow, haha)...

Hope you guys are having a good one.

The guys on TVG said there was a lively LSU crowd at the track today. It might be a record for a Friday afternoon at the fall meet (21,000-plus people)...

I had a great day; a friend of mine and I went halfers on a pick-6 ticket that cost us less than $100... we hit 5 of 6 and got back $1332.... and in those five races (the one loser was where the 3-horse paid $28-plus) I had win tickets on three of them and hit three-figure exotics in four of them as well....

Well, Midnight Madness is starting soon. Just thought I'd give this a little bump for the night, and I'll have a writeup on tomorrow's games after I finish watching the first half of the GSFWs at San Jose...

CKR,
Nice score on the horsies.

A local radio host Jimmy Ott did his broadcast from just outside the winners circle at Keeneland today. The show runs from 3PM to 6PM. I listen to his show on the drive home. He is a big time horse race fan.
He also noted that he saw a large number of fans.

Should be an outstanding game with loads of excitement.
A little scary that this line is similar to Florida was last week.

Back