VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Eagles vs. Cowboys Week 16 Top Picks: Underdog Eagles to "Upset" Dallas

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Dallas Cowboys
Saturday, December 24, 2022 at 4:25 p.m. ET at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas

Best Bet: Eagles +6 at -108 with BetOnline

The Odds

Dallas opened this game as a 1.5-point home favorite.

While I still would have liked Philadelphia just as much as I do now, that spread made logical sense to me because it implied that Philadelphia would be a small favorite at home.

Now, however, Dallas is favored by six points.

-6 is obviously a tremendous difference from -1.5, so what explains the change?

Eagle starting quarterback Jalen Hurts injured his shoulder against the Bears.

Because the Eagles will make the playoffs, it would clearly be prudent for them to rest Hurts.

Hurts did play through his injury against the Bears, so it seems that he is capable of playing.

But the Eagles will surely think of their future outlook in the playoffs when deciding whether to play him or not.

Scrutinizing the Odds

So, there are three assumptions in play here.

The first assumption contains two related assumptions: Philadelphia's backup quarterback is vastly inferior to Hurts, and his inferiority will make a significant difference in the outcome of this game.

Three, Philadelphia is focused on the playoffs and thus might very well be less motivated than Dallas for this game.

These assumptions have motivated the perception that Dallas will win this game.

Part of the reason why I like Philadelphia to cover the spread and win outright is that I think both assumptions are rather ridiculous.

Philadelphia's Backup Quarterback

Assuming that Hurts won't play, Philadelphia will start Gardner Minshew.

You might remember the hype about "Minshew Magic" when Minshew was Jacksonville's starting quarterback.

Despite being a backup, he has strong experience as a starter.

Thus, as far as backups go, the Eagles are in relatively good hands.

Minshew has also started for the Eagles.

Last season, he achieved a 133.7 passer rating against the Jets before mustering an 81.1 passer rating against the Cowboys.

While an 81.1 passer rating is poor, it is close to Hurts' passer rating last season (87.2).

Hurts' passer rating improved by 17 points from last season to this one in no small part because of AJ Brown's arrival.

Brown is an elite wide receiver: he ranks top-five in receiving yards (1,201) and receiving touchdowns (10).

His presence will help Minshew's passing numbers just as it has Hurts' -- this is especially true on Sunday as Dallas misses two of its top three cornerbacks to injury.

I think that Philadelphia will be just fine with Minshew because he is a capable passer.

While he lacks Hurts' prowess as a runner, the Eagles have an excellent group of running backs with which to amass rushing yards.

Motivation

I've seen the notion floated that, in line with their caution with the injured Hurts, Philadelphia is not going to take this game seriously.

I think this is a very stupid notion.

There is no way that the Eagles will relax when they have yet to clinch the top seed.

They will be cautious with Hurts, but their available players will want to win this game.

One may just as well suggest that Dallas won't be motivated, because the Cowboys have clinched a playoff spot.

Both teams will come prepared for this rivalry game in which a lot is on the line.

The First Meeting

Cowboy supporters will point to the first meeting as a source of optimism.

While the Eagles won that game by nine points, Dallas stopped the Eagle rush attack.

The thinking is that if Hurts can't go and Dallas can stop Philadelphia's running backs, then the Eagles will lack sufficient offensive power with which to challenge Dallas' defense.

But recall that literally all of Philadelphia's starting offensive linemen were on the injury report that week.

Most critically, Lane Johnson, the team's Pro Bowl right tackle, had to leave the game early. He did not finish the first half.

So, it is not the case that the Cowboys possess a strong rush defense -- Dallas actually has one of the worst run defenses in the NFL; the Cowboy run defense ranks 24th.

Philadelphia was injured in a way that it is not now: Philadelphia's starting offensive line is completely healthy right now and good to go.

Dallas' Rush Defense

The Cowboys' 24th-ranked run defense reliably falls prey to strong rush attacks.

Chicago's first-ranked rush attack, for example, amassed 240 rushing yards largely due to running back Khalil Herbert's great game.

Lesser offenses thrived similarly.

For example, Green Bay with its great running back duo exceeded 200 rushing yards against the Cowboys.

Philadelphia boasts Miles Sanders at running back with his 1,110 rushing yards on 5.2 YPC.

The Eagles also rank second in run-block rate, ahead of Chicago as well as every other previous Cowboy opponent.

Dallas Offense's Outlook

Cowboy quarterback Dak Prescott has a bad problem with interceptions -- he has already thrown five in three games in December.

He'll struggle against Philadelphia's top-ranked pass defense, just as he did against Green Bay.

The Packers own the second-best pass defense. Prescott's passer rating against them was a poor 78.6.

While the Cowboys boast a great rush attack,Philadelphia repeatedly gives up a lot on the ground without allowing more than around 20 points, like last week against Chicago's top-ranked rush attack.

Dallas will need help from Dak to finish off drives, and it won't get this help.

The Verdict

The clock will be ticking in this game as both teams rely primarily on their running backs to sustain drives.

Even granted that Hurts doesn't play, Dallas lacks an advantage in its own pass attack, and its rush defense remains completely vulnerable to Philadelphia's rush attack.

Philadelphia has the stronger weapons on offense with Brown and Sanders, the superior o-line, and the better overall defense.

For the above reasons, I find it ridiculous that the Eagles are dogged by six points.

In addition to Philly covering the spread, expect the continually ticking clock to ensure an "under."

Best Bet: Under 46 at -110 with BetOnline

I'd go back to the Eagles only loss, against Washington, and see how that one played out. Commies ran it 49 times and had a 40 minute TOP. They were +1 in turnovers and up 5 when they scored a cheap defensive TD on a last play lateral fest to get the double digit win. But during the game Washington scored on drives of 13, 12, 17, 8 and 14 plays to build a 23-14 lead after 3 quarters.

Can Dallas control the ball and the clock? Yes, although they've been below average in TOP they are 7th in rushing and Dak only adds 8 yards a game. Eagles are 4th in rushing but Hurts average over 50 yards a game. Take him out of the mix and they're a below average rushing team.

To me this game is about motivation. Cowboys are at home, Christmas Eve, another exclusive national audience, the red kettles are out....this is basically a 2nd Thanksgiving game. And they're licking wounds from a 17 point blown lead. They blew another lead against Green Bay, and followed it up with a demolition of the Vikings. I think they're focused this week and they don't want the Eagles clinching the division in their house, on national TV, with a backup QB.

What is the Eagles motivation? They need to win only 1 of the next 3 to clinch HFA. It's a short week, their QB is sitting out, and they have two home games after this including against a poor Saints team. They don't need this game and looking ahead they really don't want Hurts on the sidelines for the next month with no game action. I think you see him come back and play at least one of the last two games and they get their coronation at the Linc.

Another factor is the playoff picture. It's looking very likely that the divisional round could see Eagles-Cowboys round 3. I think the Eagles go pretty vanilla this week in terms if game plan, which is a disadvantage.

Could the Eagles cover? They could, but it's hardly an Eagles or nothing play here. Under I think is a decent play but scary too. Minshew could pass quite a lot here if the Eagles are playing catchup, extending the game and putting the over in play. Dallas 27-20 is not difficult to imagine.

I'd go back to the Eagles only loss, against Washington, and see how that one played out. Commies ran it 49 times and had a 40 minute TOP. They were +1 in turnovers and up 5 when they scored a cheap defensive TD on a last play lateral fest to get the double digit win. But during the game Washington scored on drives of 13, 12, 17, 8 and 14 plays to build a 23-14 lead after 3 quarters.

Can Dallas control the ball and the clock? Yes, although they've been below average in TOP they are 7th in rushing and Dak only adds 8 yards a game. Eagles are 4th in rushing but Hurts average over 50 yards a game. Take him out of the mix and they're a below average rushing team.

To me this game is about motivation. Cowboys are at home, Christmas Eve, another exclusive national audience, the red kettles are out....this is basically a 2nd Thanksgiving game. And they're licking wounds from a 17 point blown lead. They blew another lead against Green Bay, and followed it up with a demolition of the Vikings. I think they're focused this week and they don't want the Eagles clinching the division in their house, on national TV, with a backup QB.

What is the Eagles motivation? They need to win only 1 of the next 3 to clinch HFA. It's a short week, their QB is sitting out, and they have two home games after this including against a poor Saints team. They don't need this game and looking ahead they really don't want Hurts on the sidelines for the next month with no game action. I think you see him come back and play at least one of the last two games and they get their coronation at the Linc.

Another factor is the playoff picture. It's looking very likely that the divisional round could see Eagles-Cowboys round 3. I think the Eagles go pretty vanilla this week in terms if game plan, which is a disadvantage.

Could the Eagles cover? They could, but it's hardly an Eagles or nothing play here. Under I think is a decent play but scary too. Minshew could pass quite a lot here if the Eagles are playing catchup, extending the game and putting the over in play. Dallas 27-20 is not difficult to imagine.
Great post

Forgot to mention the cheerleaders will be in their Santa suits

Dallas-Cowboys-Cheerleaders-in-Santa-Suits--06.jpg

The Cowboys were my favorite play of the weekend even before the Hurts news came out for the reasons you mentioned.

Back