Eagles Undrafted Free Agent admits to signing in the 6th round

guaranteeed

Pretty much a regular
they don't make him smart down at LSU do they....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...pard-says-he-signed-with-eagles-during-draft/

I actually took myself off the draft board during the draft,” Shepard told WNXX radio, via LouisianaDaily.com. “Teams started calling me probably in the middle of the sixth round asking me ‘Is it true that you’ve signed with a team already?’ and I actually got it out of the way before the draft was over, because that was the perfect fit for me.”
The host asked for clarification, and Shepard gave it.
“I signed with them before the draft was over,” Shepard said, explaining that after he fell through round five he decided to focus on the Eagles. Shepard believes he’ll play receiver, running back, and Wildcat quarterback in Philly’s offense, and that he’ll return kicks and punts and play gunner on the punt team.

I don't think it's THAT stupid, but I guess I'd have to know the difference in pay or guaranteed money between 6th-7th round and undrafted free agents, is it so substantial that no one should ever do this? I mean, the guy did sort of get to pick his team rather than the other way around.

I don't think it's THAT stupid, but I guess I'd have to know the difference in pay or guaranteed money between 6th-7th round and undrafted free agents, is it so substantial that no one should ever do this? I mean, the guy did sort of get to pick his team rather than the other way around.

Guaranteed money in the 6th or 7th round? Guaranteed money for an undrafted FA? They aren't even guaranteed a roster spot, let alone money.

And I'm pretty sure people are referring to his comments being stupid (not him picking his team)...as in it's probably against the rules for a team to sign a player before the draft has actually concluded. If it really did happen as he says it did (most likely not), the Eagles will probably be in some trouble.

You start drinking early today Tip?

Guaranteed money in the 6th or 7th round? Guaranteed money for an undrafted FA? They aren't even guaranteed a roster spot, let alone money.

And I'm pretty sure people are referring to his comments being stupid (not him picking his team)...as in it's probably against the rules for a team to sign a player before the draft has actually concluded. If it really did happen as he says it did (most likely not), the Eagles will probably be in some trouble.

Not early for me, but I confess, I don't know the rules.

Well, the article said he took himself off the board, who am I to judge that's not kosher? Now as I think about it, if all the sixth and seventh rounders started to do that, could be a bit of a mess.

Well, the article said he took himself off the board, who am I to judge that's not kosher? Now as I think about it, if all the sixth and seventh rounders started to do that, could be a bit of a mess.

Who is he to take himself off the board? The teams can draft whomever they see fit, doesn't even have to be a college football player. He can "take himself off the board" in his mind all he wants....a team can still draft him.

Who is he to take himself off the board? The teams can draft whomever they see fit, doesn't even have to be a college football player. He can "take himself off the board" in his mind all he wants....a team can still draft him.
He's the Christopher Columbus of College Football.

i was so exciting when he committed to lsu. then i was upset he wasnt qb over jordan jefferson, especially with the offense we were running. never understood what happened.

would love to see him take vicks job :rolleyes:

He could tell everyone that called him that we will be holding out and won't sign a contract with them. That would essentially take him off the board as a team isn't goin to deal with drama for a late round pick

i was so exciting when he committed to lsu. then i was upset he wasnt qb over jordan jefferson, especially with the offense we were running. never understood what happened.

would love to see him take vicks job :rolleyes:

they are gonna write a book for those years...fuckin Bama

we talkin dynasty if not for Saban that fucker

He could tell everyone that called him that we will be holding out and won't sign a contract with them. That would essentially take him off the board as a team isn't goin to deal with drama for a late round pick

Good point, but do teams even call 6th and 7th rounders before they draft them to 'negotiate?'

The team could also just tell him they will draft him anyway, not care if he signs because they'll IR him until training camp is over, then he can be released and hopefully latch on with a team (sight unseen since he hasn't been active). I could see a few NFL exec egos standing in the way of some punk kid lucky to be drafted in the last (or second to last) round trying to hold a team hostage over a contract.

Every rookie drafted get some amount guaranteed money.

Cardinals third-round safety Tyrann Mathieu has no plans to sign a contract with no guaranteed money

It's good that Lawlor has no plans to do that as "Shutdown Corner" has looked at rookie contract data dating back to the 2006 draft class and found no instance of a contract that contained zero guaranteed money. There were, however, examples of teams protecting themselves in contracts with players who were a bit of a risk.

Back