Eagles sign . . .

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
Dan Kleko

I'm actually out of town, have been for a couple of days (hence the reason I've been basically unable to get back involved in that Obama thread for those who've wondered).

But I had to post this for two reasons.

One, because the Birds are actually going to try to turn Dan in to a FB.

Yes, that's right. Why they can't just have a normal fullback I have no idea.

Or maybe they're mad geniuses.

Or maybe they're the crew that drafted Freddie 'The People's Champ' Mitchell.

But the other reason I had to post this is because on the very day they sign Kleko, SF signs FA WR Bryant Johnson from the Cards.

Thus ending all my yapping about there still, possibly, being a FA WR out there for the Birds worth anything.

Yes, trades for Anquan Boldin and Roy Williams are still in the back of my mind, but they feel like long shots, especially since BAR tells me Millen's content to lose Roy Williams for nothing next year like a sucker.

Hrumph.

Back to being out of town, but please, discuss. After all, if you're not talkin' Browns, you better be talkin' Birds.

=)

Yes, trades for Anquan Boldin and Roy Williams are still in the back of my mind, but they feel like long shots, especially since BAR tells me Millen's content to lose Roy Williams for nothing next year like a sucker.

Hrumph.

"Roy is here," he said.

When Marinelli was told teams might call anyway, he said: "I guess probably when you're a beautiful girl, everybody keeps knocking on your door for a date. Then the old dad keeps coming out and says, 'Nope.' "

you gotta like the comparison.. lol.

What in gods name are we doing..........

Maybe you should say what in gods name are we NOT doing. There are still a lot of holes to fill, but plenty of time. Considering we (supposedly) went after Randy Moss, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't at least call about Ocho Cinco.

We might call on Chad, but that's pretty much the only one who I think might be a mistake. Mostly because I can say the same thing I said about him that I said about TO.

He comes to play on game day.

He does work his *ss off on the field.

You couldn't even say that about Moss, but you can with Chad just as you could with TO.

But a head-case is a head-case and I worry about it/him.

I still would try to pry Roy away from Detroit, I still would look to move Boldin out of Arizona. That's just me, though. But B's right, those holes still remain.

Eagles - Linebacker Rocky Boiman could help Eagles on special teams

By PAUL DOMOWITCH

Three weeks after giving linebacker Takeo Spikes his walking papers, the Eagles signed his roster replacement yesterday, agreeing to a 1-year deal with Rocky Boiman.

Boiman, a 6-year veteran who spent the last two seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, offers three things that Spikes didn't: he's younger, he's cheaper and he can contribute on special teams.

At 28, Boiman is 3 years younger than Spikes and will take up about a third of the $5 million in cap space that Spikes would have occupied this season.

But most importantly, Boiman is a solid special-teams performer who can help upgrade the coverage units.

The Eagles finished 28th in the NFL in punt coverage last season and 14th in kickoff coverage.

"[Special teams] is something that has really been big for me,'' Boiman said. "It's been a big part of my career and has kept me in the league for a while. I'm definitely looking forward to doing it here too.''

With Stewart Bradley expected to start at middle linebacker next season and Omar Gaither moving back to weakside linebacker (WILL), Spikes became expendable. After he declined to take a pay cut, the Eagles released him.

Another young linebacker the Eagles have high hopes for is 2007 undrafted free agent Akeem Jordan, who started at WILL in the final regular-season game against Buffalo and was in on 14 tackles.

The 6-4, 236-pound Boiman can play all three linebacker positions, but will primarily back up Chris Gocong on the strong side. He's started 19 games in his NFL career, including seven with the Colts last season.

"When I've played, the majority of the time it's been at SAM [strong side],'' Boiman said. "I've played some MIKE [middle] and WILL, but the majority has been at SAM. Wherever I fit in, whatever turns out to be the best here, is what I like to do.''

Boiman, who played his college ball at Notre Dame, was a fourth-round pick of the Tennessee Titans in 2002. He started 10 games in four seasons with the Titans.

He signed with the Dallas Cowboys in '06, but was released just before the start of the season. A day later, he was claimed by the Colts and played on their Super Bowl XLI championship team.

"It was an option to stay there,'' Boiman said. "It was something I definitely had to weigh. But ultimately, I think as a football player, this is going to be the best situation for me and the best opportunity.

"I'm just looking forward to coming in and competing at the highest level and really showing this town and these coaches and these players what I can do.''
Boiman will be the dean of the Eagles' linebacking corps. His 6 years of NFL experience are as many as Gocong, Bradley, Gaither and Jordan have combined.
"There's a lot of youth here,'' he said. "I think I can come in and bring some veteran capabilities to that. I think it's going to be a really good fit." *

Back