Eagles Get Takeo Spikes (Superbowl Bound)!

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
In a deal that addresses Philadelphia's offseason priority for adding a playmaking linebacker, the Eagles acquired veteran Takeo Spikes from the Buffalo Bills on Monday night.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]
4278.jpg

Spikes[/FONT]

The Eagles also acquired veteran backup quarterback Kelly Holcomb as part of the trade package. In exchange, Buffalo received seven-year veteran defensive tackle Darwin Walker, who had become extraneous in Philadelphia because of the team's depth, and an undisclosed draft choice, believed to be a late-round pick.

This is fucking brilliant. Walker simply CANNOT play the tackle position. Eagles have Reagor to replace him. And we fill our need at SLB with a flat out stud. Also, Holcomb can provide depth at QB in case Donovan isn't ready by season's start, or Feely isn't ready this year to fill a back-up role.

Im hoping they wont need Holcomb but he is a nice Vet that could fill in...Darwin was expendable and they got a damn good LB...Beautiful Deal IMO...Where is Joe Public?? Hes got to be excited

It's pretty rare for the Eagles to go after players 30+. Spikes is 30, but Walker is 29. So the trade off is fine. This is the most they have done in an offseason in sometime. I expect them to now draft a rookie who will make an immediate impact, possibly Florida's Nelson. I think the Eagles feel their time won't last forever, and they wanna make a run THIS YEAR.

Yea I think it's clear Philly wants to win THIS YEAR. I expect them to draft a guy who can play right away. The safety spot is a little weak, even if they can just get a guy to play Dime packages this year, that is a plus.

the eagles are gathering the pieces as they have been given the word by the front office they are the "choosen ones" this year by them.

the storyline: the first black qb since SB XXII (Doug Williams) gets his ring and gives a big ef u to rush limbaugh. goes with the black coaches theme of last year.

let the conspriacy begin ...

Yeah, this is an awesome deal, the Eagles fill 2 of there 3-4 biggest holes with this trade for a DT who, IMO, simply wasnt that good, and some second day pick that the Eagles will never miss next seaosn, what a great move

So is Spikes going to get alot of playing time?
I have him stored away on my dynasty team cause hes been hurt and his minimal stats keeps his cost cheap.

Joe's excited, he's just locked down in an office setting this week with a ton of work and a limited window to get to the site.

I'll chime in on this tonight, though.

Joe's a mess this week.

Work, work, work.

I've had to go into an office for the first time in forever and work for like 12 hours at a time, it's sucking the life out of me.

That said, I'm here.

I like this move because the Birds are operating from a position of strength to attack an area of weakness.

The bad part about this is that they're a year late in going after LBs. Last year was the year to look to fill this slot, but they were content to bring back Barber.

But this deal is good for the Eagles at both spots.

I want to love Spikes, I really do. But I've got injury concerns. Other than that, I'm happy here. But I still want to see something out of Gocong and Omar Gaither--who I really have high hopes for. Hopes that could be completely unrealistic.

Bottom line is, this still doesn't really solve their LB needs completely, but it is a step in the right direction.

As for Kelly Holcomb, you have to realize, when you talk to me you're talking to someone who really thought this guy could start for the Browns and wanted to see him get a shot.

Sadly all he proved is that he's nothing more than a very capable backup.

But in this spot, that's great, because that's exactly what the Eagles need. He'll push Feely in camp and could very possibly beat him out for the two spot.

All that aside, what I love about this trade is that it completely supports my ongoing quest to get Reggie Nelson to the Eagles.

With this trade it's pretty certain that the Eagles will not draft an LB with their number one pick. This checks that off the list, much like a receiver with the number one pick has been, same with D-line. That leaves the secondary. That's where they're going, and with Dallas bringing in Hamlin from the Seahawks, it could all be falling into place.

=)

i really like nelson from florida, as well. i think he can learn from weapon x for a couple years and then be ready to take the reigns.

i think we need to get the biggest, bestest run stopper we can find at DT available and then we are just about ready to rock and roll.

Well, the problem with that, B., is that I don't think you're going to see them go after a run stopper with anything other than their second pick (or lower) in the draft.

Right now it's still no certainty that they can stop the run. It's going to start up front as it always does. But there's no guarantee.

That's the big question, though. Can they stop the run.

B-Dawk has a year or two very good years left. They need to use this draft to bolster the secondary and hope they get good play out of their LBs including one more good year out of Trotter and growth from Gocong (sp?), Gaither, and McCoy.

And, well, health. Get that and they've got a real good shot.

Off hand I'm not remembering their schedule, but I think it's a b*tch.

But I'm very excited.

lets be very very optomistic here and say they go 5 and 1 in the division...

then say 4-1 on the home schedule and 3-2 on the road schedule...

12 and 4 absolute best case scenario, i think

probly closer to 10 and 6...

i am going to be all over the eagles to beat the ef out of the saints as long as the situational spot is as good as the motivational spot and we are gettting a generous 3/3.5.

Well, well, thank you, Smoke.

I was wrong. Granted, they have a lot of playoff teams, but that is sort of inflated.

I love how they have to go back to New Orleans for the third time in two years. Ugh.

I've got three losses on that away schedule, one at home, that's four, a split with all the division foes (at worst) leaves this team at 9-7. No worse, more likely, 10-6.

BOL eagle fans for this upcomming season as it looks like you have the appropriate peices to move forward and get a championship team.

Hate to break it to you guys but Dallas is still interested in Nelson and probably will take him if he falls to 22. Even though they signed Hamlin, they only signed him for a 1 year deal and there is a good chance that if he doesnt perform then he will not be back next year.

Hate to break it to you guys but Dallas is still interested in Nelson and probably will take him if he falls to 22. Even though they signed Hamlin, they only signed him for a 1 year deal and there is a good chance that if he doesnt perform then he will not be back next year.

The Eagles have not been afraid to trade up in the first round if they have a target player. They may not be picking at #26 this year.

Part of me thinks that the Eagles will trade up. For whom I have no idea. But I think that Believe and others are right when they say they think the Birds see a window this year--and why not with the rest of the NFC so wide open.

Given what the Pats have done, and how the Eagles sort of run things in a similar way, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Birds move up in the draft to sort of compensate for not attacking free agency more.

Again, who they would target, however, is anybody's guess, my quest to get Reggie Nelson in green is more just me hoping.

Back