Eagles cut Trotter

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
Four-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter will be job-hunting in the coming days after being released by the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday.

A nine-year veteran, Trotter was informed of his status in a meeting with coach Andy Reid. The Eagles suggested that the now-unrestricted free agent consider retirement, but the 30-year-old's preference is to continue playing in the league. Trotter's release will become official when his name appears on the NFL's internal transactions wire this afternoon.

"Jeremiah is one of my favorite guys," Reid said in a statement Tuesday. "There's no question that this is the toughest part of this job. He and I met about this [Monday] night and it was very emotional for the both of us. Jeremiah and I have been together for many years and he's played a vital role in helping this team win a lot of football games."

The departure of Trotter continues a shakeup to Philadelphia's linebacker corps. It is now likely that two-time Pro Bowl player Takeo Spikes, acquired from the Buffalo Bills in a March trade, will take over the middle linebacker spot. Spikes has primarily worked at the weakside position in training camp.

Eagles officials have worked hard to create depth and competition in the linebacker corps, and have a number of young players the coaches want to work into the lineup.

This marks the second time the Eagles have essentially released Trotter. In the spring of 2002, Philadelphia designated him as a franchise player, and subsequently rescinded the tag, making him a free agent. Trotter then signed with Washington, where he played two seasons before being released after the 2003 campaign.

In 2004, Trotter contacted Reid, with whom he had parted on shaky terms, to see if he might rejoin the Eagles. He returned to the team that brought him into the league as a third-round pick in the 1998 draft and earned a Pro Bowl berth in his first year back.

A former Stephen F. Austin star, Trotter is one of just four linebackers in Eagles' history to earn four or more Pro Bowl invitations. He joins Hall of Fame member Chuck Bednarik, Maxie Baughan and Bill Bergey in that select group.

In 131 games with the Eagles (1998-2001, 2004-2006) and Redskins (2002-2003), Trotter has 1,184 tackles, 12½ sacks and nine interceptions. He has notched 100 or more tackles in seven seasons, and 150-plus tackles five times, and had 202 stops in 1999.

Trotter has three years left on his contract, at base salaries of $2.635 million (2007), $2.72 million (2008) and $3.28 million (2009). His release was not a salary cap move, however, since the Eagles are comfortably under the $109 million ceiling.

That really makes me sad.

I realized that it was going to be tough for him this year, but word was he was working his *ss off.

He's a huge heart and character guy, a big part of the soul of that defense.

Hopefully he, like Hugh Douglass before him, can have a place in or around the organization.

Hes talking on comcast right now

When he's done would you let us know what he said?

[remember, Joe, you trust Andy Reid, you trust Andy Reid . . .]

'an_horse'<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
hope the Bengals pick him up.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thing about Trotter is that he's a system guy, whoever picks him up needs to use him like that or you'll never hear from him again.

That's why he was so good for the Birds, because he fit the system perfectly. It's just those knees.

time for me to reevaluate the dallas/phila battle for the division.

Here, let me help you with that:

Andy Reid vs. Wade Phillips.

Feel free to take the rest of the day off.

=)

He automatically brings toughness to a defense..esp on first and second downs...

In a division where Cincy is considered the least physical, esp on defense, I think he could be a nice addition..

Will never happen though as they're high on Ahmad Brooks.

Wow, shocker to me...I cant believe the eagles are satisfied with the outside LB's they currently have

Trotter, Dawkins, Spikes and Gaither all spoke

Trotter was emotional, but seemed resigned to the fact that it happened. No ill will towards the Eagles or Andy Reid or any one in the organization. At one point he said if you cut him open 'he'd bleed Eagles green.' Dawkins seemed pretty upset but kept saying it could happen to anyone and its a business and such. Spikes was more shocked than anything - hey, welcome to the Eagles buddy. Gaither was the most enthusiastic of the bunch. Said Trrotter called him himself last night to congratulate him on being the middle linebacker for the Eagles.

This was the right move. After the shock wore off of losing such a big name, if you look at the football side of it, its definitely the right move.

Trotter can barely run anymore. Apparently he hasnt been able to pass a physical in three years - hes just been toughing it out. He was never that good in coverage and if last years Saints game was any indication, hes lost a step on defending the run as well (though alot of that game can be blamed on the DTs not keeping the OL off of Trot)

Also, you kinda have to give the Eagles the benefit of the doubt here. Whenever they get rid of someone, they make the right decision. Bobby Taylor. Troy Vincent. Shawn Barber. Duce Staley. Brian Mitchell. Corey Simon. None of em did anything after they left. The only guy you can really say they whiffed on letting walk was Derrick Burgess.

Bottom line is the Birds are real high on Gaither. Hes gonna be the middle linebacker, with Spikes on the weakside and Gocong on the strong side. They like Daniels and Bradley as backups. There was just no room for Trot anymore.

The only thing that bothers me (being a PSU guy) is that they coulda had Posluzsny in the draft. And hes gonna be a stud. And they didnt take him...

At one point he said if you cut him open 'he'd bleed Eagles green.'

I love that guy. I agree that from a football standpoint this is probably the best move--I personally have high hopes for Omar. But man I love this guy's attitude. He LOVES this team.

If he doesn't get picked up I would really like to see them find a way to keep him in the fold.

The only thing that bothers me (being a PSU guy) is that they coulda had Posluzsny in the draft.

Agreed. They just don't value LBs high enough. Again, as you said, you have to give Banner and Andy the benefit of the doubt, and drafting at least the O-line high has paid some dividends, but a stud LB would go a long way in Philly.

I think Trotter was done before the year even started. Im not surprised at all that he got cut. He could barely move the past season and could not get off the blocks from guards and centers.

Maybe the Redskins will pick him up.

Thing about Trotter is that he's a system guy, whoever picks him up needs to use him like that or you'll never hear from him again.

That's why he was so good for the Birds, because he fit the system perfectly. It's just those knees.

And what "system" would that be?

Why don't the shit teams of the league run that "system" if they could just churn out guys making 4 probowls in 9 years.

Good Post smokedawg

I think the wiff on Derrick Burgess was more of a financial thing, and less of a " he's over the top" or " he's overrated" thing.

Trotter did decline in pass coverage. In fact, I really wouldn't even want him in there on 3rd down passing downs, but boy, could he stop the run. I'd love to have him as my MLB on 1st and 2nd downs. The guy was just mean.

I still remember that game where the Chargers came into Philly a couple years back and ESPN was hyping up LT against the Eagles run defense...

Well, MR. Trotter just buried LT.

I was shocked when this went down, but he wasn't even making a lot of money... you have to trust the Eagles organization in making the rich decision, and they of all organizations deserve the benefit of the doubt. I know fans might not like it, but they know what they are doing.

I would get mad at those teams like the Steelers that were just too damn Loyal. For all it's worth, the Patriots treat it like a business and could cut Drew Bledsoe tommorow if need be, or willie mcginnist, or lawyer malloy etc.

The Steelers were the ones that held onto Queerdell Stewart experiment too long, or Jerome Bettis etc.

I think Jim Johnson is going to go back to that free-for-all blitzing style defense that we saw a few years back. Gaither is much quicker than Trot, and quite frankly he's better. Trotter did nothing against the Saints who totally manhandled the Eagles on the ground in the playoffs. Gaither is only 23, and he will man the middle for the Eagles for the next 7 years. No reason to have this talent on the bench.

Going into the year, it was no shock that Gaither would see more action, even on run-downs. So, this isn't a huge loss. My only concern is depth at the middle backer position, but Philly drafted Stew Bradley, who is getting looks at middle backer this pre-season.

So, what now for Trotter? My guess is retirement. If he plays this year, it will be for a true contender. The Bengals need help, but they aren't THAT close to a title. He's a southern boy--born and raised in Texas. So, I think he goes back down south to New Orleans.

His linebacker coach last year is the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants.

I don't think the Giants would take him though. Pierce is the starter, maybe they would move him to play run stoping SAM if Strahan retires ( and move Kiwi back to DE), but I think strahan will be back and Trotter will retire.

I understand the sentimentality, esp from iggle fans, but this move isn't a huge surprise. Hell...Reid and Trotter love each other so you know if he had anything left he'd be staying; he may get signed but I think he'll go down as another smart front office move by the eagle organization, definitely one of the top 3 in the NFL IMO. This team should rock this year.

Why don't the shit teams of the league run that "system" if they could just churn out guys making 4 probowls in 9 years.

Because they don't have Jim Johnson. Same reason teams don't run the 'same' defense Monte Kiffin does in TB or Bill B. does in NE. They can try, but those guys are geniuses who know how to accentuate their personnel.

For the Eagles' part it's why you see the vast majority of those guys on defense who leave looking for the big money disappear. It's why Dexter Jackson--if I have his name right--wins the MVP of the SB with the Bucs one year, then is never heard from again when he leaves the very next year.

Did his skills really disappear completely? Nah, it's just that Kiffin has a watermelon-sized brain for defense.

Jim Johnson's the same way. He found something he liked in Trotter out of school, had him tailor his game for the way Johnson coaches the defense and it was a marriage that worked out great for everybody.

But honestly, as I said, that's not what I'm going to miss from that guy. He was a pro bowl player (at times), yes, but he was also very much a big part of the heart of that defense behind B-Dawk. That's what I'll miss.

But as I and others have said, you have to trust Andy and Joe Banner. Their track record of when to move on from players has been excellent.

Trot is what's right in sports. Team first, money second. A true Eagle and I will miss him very much. I got teary watching the press conference, I dunno how I will cope when it is Dawkins turn to go.

It'll be a sad day when Dawk retires, hopefully it will be also somewhat of a celebration of his career. If Trotter is a big part of the heart of this team, Dawk is an even larger part of its soul.

Talk about a guy who deserves a walk-off home run type of moment, it's him.

Back