E$PN IN$IDERS - Week 4 College Football

NYGiants25

NY Giants fan, anyone?
Phil Steele's best Week 4 college football bets

Each week during the 2016 college football season, I will offer my picks and best bets for the biggest games, and I will highlight a handful of other key matchups.

Last season, my selections went 104-33 (76 percent) picking the straight-up (SU) winners during the regular season and 74-61-2 (55 percent) against the spread (ATS).

My selections are off to a slower start this year, at 15-10 SU and 13-12 ATS.

Here are my selections on this week's big games, including Florida at Tennessee.

Note: All times Eastern for Saturday's contests. Lines courtesy of Westgate SuperBook as of Wednesday morning.

No. 17 Arkansas Razorbacks (+6.5) vs. No. 10 Texas A&M Aggies Noon, ESPN
I have been very impressed with Texas A&M this season. The Aggies could be on their way to a 6-0 start and a showdown with Alabama. But this game will be a test; the previous two meetings between Texas A&M and Arkansas at AT&T Stadium have both gone to the wire.

The Razorbacks appeared to have last season's game won, as they finished with a 25-17 first down edge. They were up 21-13, but the Aggies got a late touchdown and two-point conversion to force overtime, where the Aggies ultimately won it. Arkansas went up 28-14 in 2014 but allowed 86-yard and 59-yard touchdown passes in the fourth quarter before losing in overtime.

Arkansas is 9-2-1 as an away underdog in SEC play, and earlier this season, it beat TCU on the road as a touchdown underdog. The Aggies are just 4-8-1 ATS as a favorite in SEC play. A&M has the edge on offense, but Arkansas is No. 2 in the country with a defense that allows opponents 266 yards less than their season average. A&M is holding foes to 23 yards per game less than the average, which is No. 63.

Call it another down-to-the-wire game between these two, so I will take the points.

ATS pick: Arkansas (+)
Score: Texas A&M 21, Arkansas 20

Penn State Nittany Lions (+19) at No. 4 Michigan Wolverines 3:30 p.m., ABC
I had Colorado plus the three touchdowns at Michigan last week, and the Buffs did lead 28-21, but then quarterback Sefo Liufau was injured. Colorado's backup hit zero of his seven passes, and the offense was done. Michigan got a six-yard blocked punt for a touchdown and a 55-yard punt return for a touchdown to win by 17.

Penn State also had a misleading final last week, as they controlled the game versus Temple with a 21-13 first down edge. The Nittany Lions fumbled near the Owls' goal line, costing them seven points in the second quarter. Temple scored on a 9-yard touchdown "drive" after an interception. A late fourth-quarter punt went off a Penn State blocker and rolled 30 yards to the 1-yard line, where Temple recovered. The Owls got a touchdown three plays later, and the Nittany Lions only won by seven, failing to cover by a single point after Temple picked up a late 34-yard field goal.

Penn State took Michigan down to the wire last season, as they settled for 24-yard and 18-yard fourth-quarter field goals and trailed by five until allowing a late touchdown.

Last week's results give us some line value this week, and we will take the nearly three touchdowns.

ATS pick: Penn State (+)
Score: Michigan 37, Penn State 24

No. 3 Louisville Cardinals at Marshall Thundering Herd (+26) 8 p.m., CBS College Sports
Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson has accounted for 18 touchdowns in just three games. Last week's 63-20 beatdown of Florida State was one of the best-ever ratings in my Average Game Grades. Louisville is No. 1 in the country in that set of power ratings and deserves to be. Meanwhile, Akron lost to Wisconsin 54-10, then turned around to whip Marshall on the road 65-38. Those two factors have this number at four touchdowns, which is where it should be.

This could be the situational game of the year. Not only are the Cardinals coming off that massive effort against the Seminoles, but they also have a road trip to Clemson next week. A win there essentially hands them the ACC Atlantic title. This is the Cardinals' first trip to Huntington, West Virginia, where Marshall is 18-1 straight up at home over the past four seasons. In that Week 3 loss to Akron, Marshall had 560 yards and 31 first downs. Plus, the Thundering Herd fans will be fired up for the visit from the No. 3-ranked team in the country.

ATS pick: Marshall (+)
Score: Louisville 48, Marshall 28

No. 19 Florida Gators at No. 14 Tennessee Volunteers (-6.5) 3:30 p.m., CBS
I had Tennessee over Virginia Tech two weeks ago, and after a rough first quarter in which the Volunteers trailed 14-0, they came back to deliver the win. That looks even better now after Virginia Tech beat Boston College 49-0. In Week 3, I had Ohio plus four touchdowns, as Tennessee was in a massive flat spot, having just played in front of 156,000 fans and having four huge games on deck. It was an enjoyable game for me to watch. This week, I am back on the Vols.

Florida has perhaps the best defense in the country and is holding opponents to 286 yards below their season average and to just 130 total yards per game, but the Gators have taken on three flawed offenses. I am concerned about how Tennessee's offensive line, which has allowed seven sacks, will perform against a Florida defense that has recorded 16 sacks in just three games. Senior quarterback Joshua Dobbs' mobility will help. On the flip side, Tennessee has my No. 15-rated defense, holding foes to 116 yards per game, but it will be without cornerback Cameron Sutton. Tennessee does have a solid edge on offense, and Florida will be without quarterback Luke Del Rio.

The Vols led 27-14 last season and were in control, but they fell apart late on the road, allowing a 63-yard touchdown on fourth-and-long after a short pass with 1:45 left. Yes, I know that Florida has won 11 in a row in the series, but that makes this one of the most important games of the year for the home team.

ATS pick: Tennessee
Score: Tennessee 23, Florida 10

Oklahoma State Cowboys at No. 16 Baylor Bears (-8) 7:30 p.m., Fox
Baylor is a perfect 3-0 so far, but the Bears are 0-2 vs. the Vegas number with two lackluster wins over SMU and Rice. They are low on scholarships this year, but were able to build some depth in those games. Now, the Bears will be fired up for their first real test. They still have quarterback Seth Russell, and KD Cannon has 352 receiving yards. They also have three running backs who have each topped 100 yards in Jamycal Hasty, Terence Williams and Shock Linwood. Their defense has held foes to 76 yards below their season average.

Oklahoma State goes on the road for the first time and were outgained at home by Central Michigan by 72 yards. Last week, while Baylor was coasting, the Cowboys were playing a second straight game to the wire after sitting through a two-hour weather delay which ended late.

Baylor had a 699-441 yard edge in Stillwater last year despite starting a backup quarterback.

ATS pick: Baylor
Score: Baylor 44, Oklahoma State 31

BYU Cougars (+7.5) at West Virginia Mountaineers 3:30 p.m., ESPN2
While neither team is ranked, both are high-profile teams -- and the game is on ESPN2. BYU continues to struggle through a grueling early schedule, opening with three Pac-12 opponents. The Cougars' two losses came by a combined four points to two of the favorites in the Pac-12 South in Arizona and UCLA. They had three tight games to open last year then traveled East and were whipped 31-0 at Michigan with little left in the tank. This one should be different. West Virginia is not as strong as Michigan or the two Pac-12 foes they've lost against.

West Virginia is 2-0, but the Mountaineers' defense is allowing 434 yards per game and playing at an average game grade of 87.7. BYU is 1-2, but playing at an 89.3 level. BYU is 10-4 ATS as an away 'dog and has the better defense. BYU has held its three foes to 132 yards per game below their season average, which ranks No. 16 in the country. Keep in mind that this game is in Landover, Maryland -- not even the Mounties' home stadium. Look for another BYU game to be decided by a field goal and take the touchdown here.

ATS pick: BYU (+)
Score: West Virginia 24, BYU 23

No. 9 Washington Huskies (-9.5) at Arizona Wildcats 10:30 p.m., Pac-12 Networks
Washington has three very impressive wins to open the year, but the Huskies now take the step up to the Pac-12 schedule and face their first foe to make a bowl last year. Quarterback Jake Browning and the starters have come out early in each of the first three games. I feel they have the best defense in the Pac-12 and an explosive offense.

Arizona was outgained by BYU by 87 yards and trailed Grambling State 21-3 at the half, but the FCS Tigers lost their quarterback to injury and Arizona rallied to win. Last week, with Brandon Dawkins at quarterback, the Wildcats' offense looked great, but it was vs. the Hawaii defense.

The home team has won eight in a row in this series, but that streak will come to an end here. Last year, a young Washington team, which was just 3-4, beat Arizona 49-3. Now, with a more veteran team, the Huskies will be able to handle this road challenge.

ATS pick: Washington
Score: Washington 34, Arizona 17

No. 12 Georgia Bulldogs at No. 23 Ole Miss Rebels (-7) Noon, ESPN2
This one seems easy at first glance. You make the No. 12 team with a perfect 3-0 record a seven point 'dog to a 1-2 team? Take the points and run right? Actually, I will side with the 1-2 team here as Ole Miss, despite that the record, has an impressive resume.

Ole Miss led Florida State 28-6 and Alabama 28-3 but just didn't fare well the last 32 minutes of those games. Chad Kelly has a 96.0 QBR in the second quarter, but just a 2.4 QBR in the third quarter of games. Those are against two of the elite teams in the country, and Georgia does not fall into that category. Georgia was fortunate to escape Nicholls two weeks ago and last week needed a late Missouri fumble and an 80-yard touchdown drive with 1:29 left to escape Columbia with a win.

Georgia must go on the road again, and Ole Miss cannot afford another loss. Mobile quarterbacks Deondre Francois and Jalen Hurts gave the Rebels some trouble, but Georgia doesn't have one. This will allow a solid and aggressive Ole Miss defensive front to create havoc with a pass rush. Chad Kelly will have more time at home vs. a Georgia defense that has just three sacks in 99 opponent pass attempts. I rate the defenses even and give Ole Miss the edge on offense and special teams -- and the Rebels are at home.

ATS pick: Ole Miss
Score: Ole Miss 37, Georgia 24

No. 18 LSU Tigers (-3) at Auburn Tigers 6:00 p.m., ESPN
LSU was in complete control against Mississippi State last year, leading 21-6 heading into the fourth quarter and could have been up more. The Bulldogs got a pair of touchdowns in the last quarter and almost came back. Last week, LSU led 23-3 at the half and led 23-6 with about six minutes to go when they went for it on fourth-and-1 and were stuffed at the Mississippi State 34. Les Miles said the game would have felt like a walk in the park if they converted. The Bulldogs then put together a 66-yard drive for a touchdown, recovered an onside kick and scored another touchdown to only lose by three.

Auburn was fortunate to only lose by 13 last week. Texas A&M settled for five field goals and, trailing 29-10, Auburn got a touchdown with 2:59 left. Last year, LSU came off that Mississippi State game and dominated Auburn, leading 38-7 at one point. I will call for this to be what Yogi Berra used to call "déjà vu all over again."

ATS pick: LSU
Score: LSU 27, Auburn 20

Fallica and Coughlin's best Week 4 CFB bets
Chris Fallica and Steve Coughlin

After an impressive back-to-back seasons, "Stanford Steve" Coughlin of SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt and Chris Fallica of ESPN Stats & Information and College GameDay are back. Every week during the college football season, they'll give their best bets for picking the weekend's top college football games.

2016 record:
Fallica: 6-13 ATS
Coughlin: 5-8-2 ATS

2015 season record:
Fallica: 53-40-3 ATS (55.2 percent)
Coughlin: 38-29-3 ATS (54.3 percent)

2014 season record:
Fallica: 44-40 ATS (52.4 percent)
Coughlin: 45-28-1 ATS (60.8 percent)

Note: Against the spread (ATS) and total picks are in bold. Odds are courtesy of the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook.

Florida Gators (+6.5) at Tennessee Volunteers
Over/under: 45.5

Fallica: Heading into the season, I loved Florida to win this matchup and to extend its winning streak in the series. But without Luke Del Rio at quarterback, the Florida offense isn't going to be nearly as efficient.

Tennessee has a ton of injuries on the defensive side of the ball, and its offensive line looks as if its on the wrong side of a mismatch between itself and the Florida front seven. The Vols looked terrible and disinterested in wins over Appalachian State and Ohio, fell behind Virginia Tech and came back to win, as fortune was on their side. Tennessee has fumbled 11 times this season and only lost one! That is incredible luck, and it likely wont continue.

Fall behind here, and points nor a comeback will be easy to locate. I'm still leaning Florida, but I'm a little concerned that school of thought is too common. But I had similar concerns last week with Ohio State and Louisville, and those games worked out OK.

ATS pick: Florida 23, Tennessee 20

Coughlin: Before the injury to Del Rio, I was chomping at the bit to take the Gators in this game no matter what the spread was. Now, I have to admit, I'm wavering.
This matchup has been circled on Tennessee's calendar ever since Butch Jones took over in Knoxville, so the spotlight for the program could not be brighter. Is this a good or a bad thing? I just hope the Vols play well in such a big spot. However, there aren't too many head coach and offensive coordinator combos I would take over the Gators' tandem of Jim McElwain and Doug Nussmeier. I see the Gators hanging around in this game, with Purdue transfer Austin Appleby making enough plays at QB. Appleby has some experience from his days with the Boilermakers, so I don't think he will crumble in this spot, thanks to that coaching tandem I mentioned earlier. However, I think the Vols get the much-needed victory.

ATS pick: Tennessee 23, Florida 21 (take the under)

Stanford Cardinal (-3) at UCLA Bruins
Fallica: I am well aware Stanford has owned this series in recent history, winning eight straight -- six by at least eight points.

Turnovers have played a big role. In the past seven games, UCLA has turned it over 14 times and forced only three. The Bruins haven't been able to get the Cardinal off the field, as Stanford has held a 10:17 advantage in time of possession. But I liked what I saw last week from the UCLA defense in a tough road environment, and the Texas A&M offense presented a much different challenge than what Stanford will.

I think Ryan Burns is going to have to throw the ball more than 14 times this week because I don't think Stanford will dominate the trenches -- and on the sidelines -- as it did last week. It is too easy to think Stanford wins and covers the small number. Jim Mora and Josh Rosen need a statement win, and this could be it. This also could be the first of two meetings between these teams this year.

ATS pick: UCLA 27, Stanford 24

Coughlin: What a spot for the sophomore sensation Rosen. The UCLA quarterback comes in with a chance to snap an eight-game losing streak to the Cardinal, and the game is in prime time against a team that has not even faced a QB with close to the talent that he brings to the table. Plus, everyone seems to be talking about what could be with Stanford traveling to Seattle to play an undefeated Washington on a Friday night next week.

On the other side, are we sure we know how good the Stanford team is?

The offense still looks pretty basic under first-year starting QB Ryan Burns, the defense has looked above average, but as highlighted earlier in the season, they faced two quarterbacks that combined to start one game in their career before playing at "The Farm." The biggest question mark for me is how good the Stanford offensive line is, as it will have its biggest test this week against in Eddie Vanderdoes and Takkarist McKinley. This is also the perfect spot for Bruins coach Jim Mora, who needs a marquee win, and this would be the best one on his resume if he were to get it. Rosen runs the two-minute drill at the end of the game, and with some help from a couple defensive pass interference calls, the Bruins win.

ATS pick: UCLA 24, Stanford 23

Northwestern Wildcats (+7.5) vs. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Fallica: This is one of those perfect scenarios for an upset. Nebraska gets the big home win over a ranked team and Northwestern seemingly can't get out of its own way on offense. Over five years in the Big Ten, Nebraska has lost its road opener four times, beating hapless Purdue in 2013 as a 13-point favorite and losing to Illinois last year in what was just a bizarre game. I think we get another one of those Saturday, as Northwestern has had a good bit of success against Nebraska -- winning last year in Lincoln as a 7-point 'dog, covering in a three-point loss in 2013, losing by one to cover a 6.5-point number in 2012 and winning outright as a 17.5 point 'dog in 2011.

In the 52-17 win over Wyoming in Week 2 -- a game that was 24-17 in the fourth quarter -- Nebraska forced six of its eight turnovers this season. Northwestern has turned it over just three times in three games, and a fairly stout defense has allowed less than 15 points per game this year.

ATS pick: Northwestern 19, Nebraska 17

South Florida Bulls (+6.5) vs. Florida State Seminoles
Fallica: This is a dangerous game for Florida State. The Seminoles psyche is likely very fragile after a humiliating loss at Louisville, but they better get past it quickly. They are facing a team with which they were tied in the third quarter in Tallahassee last year; a team that gets the big dog in the state at their place; a team that has a very good trio at QB/RB/WR.

I don't know if the Bulls defense is going to get enough stops to win, but I do believe they will score, and it will take second-half heroics and a gut-check for the Noles to avoid a second straight loss. I'm expecting a very close game.

ATS pick: Florida State 34, South Florida 31

Auburn Tigers (+3.5) vs. LSU Tigers
Fallica: This could be Auburn's last stand before the wheels come off for the season. Auburn's offense is a huge concern, as it has managed just 29 points in two games against Clemson and Texas A&M. The defense kept Auburn in the game as long as it could vs. Texas A&M last week, forcing four short field goals before finally breaking in the fourth quarter. The Tigers' QB play has to be better.

This series has been a strange one -- especially at Jordan-Hare. Auburn blew out LSU 41-7 two years ago. In 2012 an Auburn team that didn't win an SEC game and was an 18.5-point 'dog nearly beat LSU, losing 12-10. The past two times LSU won at Jordan-Hare, Auburn went 0-8 and 2-6 in the SEC and fired its head coach.

Could Auburn be headed down that road? Sure, but I'll give a defense that slowed down Deshaun Watson and kept Texas A&M in check a nod vs. LSU -- and maybe, just maybe, the offense will make enough plays to win outright.

ATS pick: Auburn 22, LSU 21

Kent State Golden Flashes (+43.5) at Alabama Crimson Tide
Fallica: As was the case against Western Kentucky, don't expect Alabama to win 59-0 here. Depending on your number that week, you either won, pushed or lost. As detailed two weeks ago, Alabama's failure to cover huge numbers in these Group of 5 nonconference games is fairly common knowledge. The Tide are coming off a huge emotional win at Ole Miss, finally beating the team which had knocked them off the past two years. I expect a lot of players to rest up for the remainder of SEC play, and that Nick Saban won't embarrass his alma mater. Plus, Kent State was fairly competitive at Penn State in the opener. You might have to hold on for dear life, but that's a huge number to cover.

ATS pick: Alabama 49, Kent State 7

Wisconsin Badgers (+5.5) at Michigan State Spartans
Over/under: 45.5
Coughlin: I can't imagine how irritated these two teams must feel every time they hear that Ohio State and Michigan are the class of the Big Ten. Anyway, let's get to the matchup between what I think are two of the best-coached and disciplined teams in college football.

All you have to look at is the best wins these teams have accounted for this year in just the first couple of weeks: Wisconsin beat LSU as a double-digit underdog and Michigan State went into South Bend and put up 36 points against Notre Dame. Over the past five seasons, the Badgers and Sparty rank among the best defenses in FBS. Both units rank in the top 10 in scoring defense, total defense and yards per rush in that time period.

This game will be as smashmouth of a game as you will find this Saturday. Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst hasn't committed to a starting quarterback after replacing fifth-year senior Bart Houston with redshirt freshman Alex Hornibrook in the second half against Georgia State. I don't see a lot of points being scored in East Lansing.

ATS pick: Michigan State 21, Wisconsin 14 (take the under)

USC Trojans (+3) at Utah Utes
Over/under: 46.5

Coughlin: I could be on the wrong side of this game and late to the party, but USC comes in on a short week with a quarterback change. That means redshirt freshman Sam Darnold comes into Rice-Eccles Stadium to make his first career start. Now, I know the Trojans come in as maybe the most talented 1-2 team in the country, but I just don't like what I saw from them last week in a road loss to Stanford. I was expecting more inspiring play against a rival program in their conference.

The Utes are coming off a performance at San Jose State last week that has brought back memories of Utah's "Sack Lake City" defense from a couple of years ago. The Utes' 10 sacks last week tied for the second-best mark in school history. Eight different players accounted for the sacks despite the unit losing starting defensive end Kylie Fitts (foot) earlier last week. I don't see this as a good spot for a first-time starting QB. Take the home team.

ATS pick: Utah 27, USC 17

Oklahoma State Cowboys (+8.5) at Baylor Bears
Over/under: 71.5
Coughlin: Oklahoma State has been tested, and Baylor hasn't. Nor have the Bears been impressive vs. inferior competition. The Cowboys come in after a weird win, in which they had to sit through an hour-plus weather delay while they were tied with Pitt, and that is after a crushing loss at home to a good Central Michigan team. So, with the way these two teams have started the season, Baylor is going to have the edge no matter what kind of statistic you look at.

I might be in the minority here, but I would take Pokes' wide receiver James Washington, who has 19 catches, 399 yards and three TDs in three games, over the Bears' wide receiver KD Cannon, who has 24 grabs accounting for 352 yards and four TDs.

I'm sure everyone will be on the over in this game, but I will take Mike Gundy and that magical mullet as the Cowboys play their first road game of the year. Did I mention that Pistol Pete is my favorite non-Tree mascot in sports?

ATS pick: Oklahoma State 31, Baylor 28

How Vegas handicappers rank top 25 CFB teams
Mackenzie Kraemer

Welcome to the CFB Vegas rankings, an attempt to rank the top teams in college football from a Vegas perspective. They are the composite power ratings of Bruce Marshall's The Gold Sheet, Phil Steele and ESPN's Football Power Index (FPI).

Note: All futures odds courtesy of the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook.

1. Alabama Crimson Tide (Rating: 60.4; Last week: No. 1)
Alabama holds onto the No. 1 spot after its comeback win against Ole Miss. The Tide have now failed to cover three straight against the Rebels. Nick Saban's team remains No. 1 in two of the three metrics. FPI remains the only holdout, as it places Alabama 0.1 points ahead of its first-place team Louisville. Alabama is the 7-2 favorite to win the championship.

2. Ohio State Buckeyes (Rating: 59.4; Last week: No. 3)
Ohio State is one of the biggest risers this week, moving within one point of first-place Alabama after demolishing Oklahoma on the road. Alabama and Ohio State have established some separation from the rest of the field, as they are both three points better than any other team. FPI gives Ohio State a 20.6 percent chance to win out, the third-highest percentage in FBS.

3. Louisville Cardinals (Rating: 56.3; Last week: No. 6)
Another big riser, Louisville crushed last week's No. 2 team, Florida State. FPI, which ranked Florida State as the No. 1 team prior to that game, now puts Louisville as its No. 1 team. The Cardinals rank third according to Phil Steele and the Gold Sheet, but there is a significant gap between them and the top two teams. Quarterback Lamar Jackson has emerged as the 6-5 Heisman favorite after being available at 100-1 when the line opened. Louisville is now 5-1 to win the title, the third-best odds in FBS.

4. Clemson Tigers (Rating: 54.0; Last week: No. 5)
Clemson backers were upset last week when the second half of their game against South Carolina State was shortened to 12-minute quarters, nullifying their full-game bets. Clemson now travels to face Georgia Tech on a short week before its big game against Louisville. Clemson is just 2-7 as a road favorite the past three seasons.

5. Michigan Wolverines (Rating: 53.6; Last week: No. 4)
Michigan and Clemson switch spots after the Wolverines failed to cover against Colorado. According to the composite rankings, Michigan is at least six points better than every team remaining on its schedule prior to meeting with Ohio State in the final game of the season.

6. Stanford Cardinal (Rating: 51.8; Last week: No. 13)
Stanford is a big riser this week after its impressive win and cover against USC. Phil Steele has been the highest on Stanford all season, and that's no different this week, as he ranks the Cardinal as the No. 5 team in the nation. The schedule gets difficult now for Stanford. This week, they visit UCLA as a 3-point road favorite. However, FPI projects Stanford as the underdog this week, as well as in two of the following three games at Washington and Notre Dame.

7. Florida State Seminoles (Rating: 51.6; Last week: No. 2)
Florida State allowed the most points in school history last week against Louisville and, as a result, dropped more than six points in the composite ratings. The Seminoles' odds to win the National Championship plummeted from 6-1 to 25-1. They are the FPI favorite in every remaining game this season, but they will need help in order to win the ACC.

8. Tennessee Volunteers (Rating: 50.7; Last week: No. 7)
Another underwhelming performance against a Group of 5 team drops the Volunteers down one spot in the rankings. Tennessee now will get tested in each of the next four weeks, as it faces four straight ranked teams, starting Saturday against Florida. Tennessee has lost 11 straight meetings, but it is currently a 6.5-point favorite against a Florida team that will be missing starting quarterback Luke Del Rio. However, Tennessee has several injuries of its own on defense.

9. Washington Huskies (Rating: 50.5; Last week: No. 10)
Washington has blown out each of its first three opponents, but it will get its first road test this week against Arizona. Last year, the Huskies were a road favorite only once, when they blew out Oregon State 52-7 as a 14-point favorite. The Huskies are currently 12-1 to win the National Championship.

10. Texas A&M Aggies (Rating: 50.1; Last week: No. 18)
Texas A&M is 3-0 ATS this season after its road win at Auburn. The Aggies are the No. 7 team in the FPI rankings. The Gold Sheet and Phil Steele aren't quite as high, but they are in the top 16 in all three metrics. Texas A&M's odds to win the title moved from 80-1 to 60-1 this week, but those are still very long odds compared to the teams around it on this list. The Aggies play Arkansas this week as a 5.5-point favorite on a neutral site.

11. LSU Tigers (Rating: 49.7; Last week: No. 8)
LSU dropped to 0-3 ATS this past week after its three-point win against Mississippi State. This week, LSU is a 3.5-point road favorite at Auburn. LSU is 19-12-1 as a road favorite under Les Miles. His team is currently 12-1 to win the College Football Playoff, though FPI gives LSU just a 0.5 percent chance to enter bowl season without suffering another loss.

12. Oklahoma Sooners (Rating: 49.4; Last week: No. 9)
Oklahoma is the first two-loss team on the list. Its futures odds went from 7-1 when it opened to 100-1, as the Sooners' title hopes may have gone out the window last week. Oklahoma is off this week before beginning its Big 12 schedule on Oct. 1 at TCU.

13. Houston Cougars (Rating: 49.3; Last week: No. 23)
There remains a wide range of opinion on Houston. The Gold Sheet has the Cougars as the No. 6 team in the nation, while Phil Steele slots them at No. 7. FPI, however, still rates Houston outside the top 25. Houston heads on the road for the second straight week, this time against Texas State. The Cougars are 14-1-1 ATS on the road since 2013, the best record in the FBS.

14. Baylor Bears (Rating: 48.2; Last week: No. 16)
Baylor is one of just two undefeated teams remaining in the Big 12, though it has yet to cover a spread. This week, Baylor finally faces a top-30 team, as it hosts Oklahoma State. Phil Steele is the highest on the Bears, ranking them No. 9 in the FBS.

15. Ole Miss Rebels (Rating: 47.9; Last week: No. 11)
Ole Miss would likely be a top-10 team if the second half of games did not count. Unfortunately, Ole Miss has blown two 21-point leads already, dropping it to No. 15 in this week's rankings. The Rebels now host Georgia as a 7-point favorite. They are 19-10-1 ATS at home under Hugh Freeze.

16. Michigan State Spartans (Rating: 47.3; Last week: No. 31)
Michigan State soars up the ratings after its road win at Notre Dame. Phil Steele and The Gold Sheet both rank Michigan State in the top 13. However, FPI remains bearish on the Spartans, ranking them 38th still. This week, the Spartans face Wisconsin. The Spartans are 11-18 ATS at home since 2012.

17. Miami Hurricanes (Rating: 47.3; Last week: No. 24)
After blowing out Florida A&M and Florida Atlantic in the first two weeks, an impressive road win at Appalachian State moves Miami up seven spots. The Hurricanes are 3-0 ATS this season, and they moved from 50-1 to 40-1 to win the championship.

18. Florida Gators (Rating: 47.1; Last week: No. 29)
Florida has yet to allow more than seven points in a game this season. The Gators now host a Tennessee team that they have beaten 11 straight times, though they will be without starting quarterback Luke Del Rio. Florida is just 7-16 ATS as a home favorite since 2012.

19. Arkansas Razorbacks (Rating: 46.8; Last week: No. 28)
Arkansas dominated Texas State as it covered for the second straight game. Arkansas now faces Texas A&M as a 5.5-point underdog in Arlington, Texas. Two weeks ago, the Razorbacks closed as 9.5-point underdogs at TCU, winning the game outright in overtime. Their futures odds have not changed from the opening line, as they are still 100-1 to win the title.

20. UCLA Bruins (Rating: 46.3; Last week: 26)
Last week, UCLA dropped to 0-3 ATS after BYU scored with 37 seconds left to secure a backdoor cover. This week, the Bruins will be a home underdog against Stanford. It will be the first time they've been a home underdog since Oct. 11, 2014 against Oregon, when they lost 42-30 as a 2.5-point underdog.

21. South Florida Bulls (Rating: 46.1; Last week: No. 32)
South Florida were down 17-0 last week against Syracuse, but the Bulls roared back to win 45-20 and easily covered the 13-point spread. No team had fallen down 17 points and then won by 25 or more since 2008 when Houston beat UAB 45-20. This week, USF is a home underdog against Florida State. Last year, USF was 3-1 outright as a home underdog, and it covered as a 28.5-point road underdog at Florida State.

22. TCU Horned Frogs (Rating: 46.1; Last week: No. 27)
TCU led 41-10 early in the fourth quarter against Iowa State as a 24.5-point favorite, but it could not hold on, dropping to 0-3 ATS this season. It now travels as a three-touchdown favorite against SMU, one week before it hosts Oklahoma. SMU is 3-0 ATS this season.

23. North Carolina Tar Heels (Rating: 46.0; Last week: No. 21)
North Carolina has covered two straight games after dropping its opener against Georgia. This week, the Tar Heels open their ACC schedule by hosting Pittsburgh. They are 18-10 ATS at home under Larry Fedora (since 2012).

24. Nebraska Cornhuskers (Rating: 45.9; Last week: No. 19)
Nebraska still has not lost ATS this season after last week's 3-point win against Oregon netted a push. The Cornhuskers now visit Northwestern for their first road game of the year.

25. Wisconsin Badgers (Rating: 45.5; Last week: No. 14)
No team has a wider gap between its AP ranking and its rating here than Wisconsin. Its rating dropped three points after its narrow win against Georgia State. This week, Wisconsin visits Michigan State in a matchup between two teams these ratings are down on relative to the AP poll.

Just missed:
26. Oklahoma State Cowboys
27. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
28. Georgia Bulldogs
29. Boise State Broncos
30. Oregon Ducks

Early betting look for Week 4: Sell Notre Dame, buy K-State
Will Harris

Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Southern Cal and Ole Miss all had lofty hopes this year, but all have two losses already. Florida State has only one loss but got beaten bad enough for two.

This week we'll explain which of the Week 3 losers is the most likely bubble-burst candidate, which team sniffing around the top 10 doesn't belong in the top 30, what the oddsmakers think of Louisville's national title chances now and how one of the week's biggest winners smashed one of the most remarkable streaks in point-spread history.

Portfolio checkup

Buy
Central Michigan Chippewas
The Chips were in an obvious letdown spot last week after their controversial big win in Stillwater, but this veteran team has outstanding leadership. Quarterback Cooper Rush told his teammates last week that "this needs to be our statement game, not Oklahoma State" to prove that the team could handle success. And after a rocky first half against an up-and-coming UNLV squad, Rush and the offense delivered, turning a 21-14 deficit into a 44-21 victory.

This is a tough, physical, well-coached team with great experience and unity. Western Michigan is the most talented team in the MAC, Northern Illinois is the reigning overlord and Toledo is always tough, but the Chippewas have plenty of championship ingredients as well.

Kansas State Wildcats
In its last nine games, the K-State offense has made 36 trips to opposing red zones, producing 26 touchdowns and 10 field goals. This unit has far better talent at the skill positions than last year's edition and is improving steadily to complement the Big 12's best defense and special teams. The Cats are a contender in the wide-open Big 12.

Sell
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The biggest challenge facing the Notre Dame program right now is that without conference positioning to play for, the team's single stated goal each year is to earn a College Football Playoff berth. That means the Irish are at risk of being bubble-burst after falling out of playoff contention each year. The idea that a two-loss team isn't out of the hunt in September is a tough sell for the coaches, and going too all-in on that would leave the staff in a bigger bind when the third loss hits. It's going to be hard for all the top teams with hopes and expectations of national relevance to get off the mat after a second loss, but that goes double for the independent Irish. It will be difficult to summon the same determination each week following a goal-denying loss, and the Notre Dame coaching staff has a difficult task finding motivational answers right now.

Georgia Bulldogs
Wildly overranked at No. 11 in the AP poll, the Bulldogs will post a good record in the soft SEC East, but this team is barely among the nation's top 40 or so now, let alone good enough to sniff the top 10. Inexperience on the roster and staff, size and strength along the offensive line, lack of overall depth and poor special teams are all issues that will cost this team games going forward.

Hold
TCU Horned Frogs
The Frogs took a rare home loss to Arkansas two weeks ago and are now 0-3 ATS with a defense that's allowing 34 points and more than 400 yards per game. But Gary Patterson isn't panicking and neither should you. This team is getting better each week and will be a season-long factor in the Big 12 race.

Games of interest, Week 4

Baylor Bears (-10) vs. Oklahoma State Cowboys
We are convinced that Baylor will be an outstanding team by November and that Jim Grobe will coach this outfit well beyond this season. But even with that bullish view, the Bears' slow start against the number shouldn't be surprising. With all this team has gone through, some level of initial locker room division is inevitable, and it takes even an ace coach like Grobe some time to get everybody rowing in the same direction. Baylor is 0-3 ATS while laying an average of nearly 40 points in the meantime, and now the Bears are asked to give double digits to a very good Oklahoma State squad. The Cowboys throw and catch it well as usual, and a salty defensive line gives the stop unit a chance to get off the field.

There will be a time for backing an improved Baylor later in the season, but prices are still a little inflated. It's worth noting that Grobe's teams -- clearly wired to ease off the throttle in blowouts sooner than the echo-of-the-whistle mindset under Art Briles -- have gone under the total in all three games so far.

Stanford Cardinal (-3) at UCLA Bruins
Stanford has beaten UCLA eight straight times, seven by more than a touchdown, and the Bruins have managed 350 yards of offense just twice in those eight games. We've been adamant from the beginning that Jim Mora would never win a Pac-12 title at UCLA, and now he's quietly easing onto the hot seat after covering just 10 of his past 29 games. The performance hasn't matched the talent at any point during Mora's five-year run, and his teams have been outhit, outcoached and generally dominated by David Shaw's Stanford teams. Bruins backers better have solid reason to think that 2016 will somehow be different before taking a field goal in this lopsided series.

Movers and shakers
After three weeks, there are seven teams priced lower than 20-1 to win the national title at the Westgate Superbook. Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State and Washington are the only four we take seriously, but the oddsmakers say that Louisville, Clemson and LSU are still very much in the mix.

National championship odds
Courtesy of Westgate SuperBook
TEAM LAST WEEK CURRENT
Alabama 9-2 7-2
Ohio State 6-1 4-1
Louisville 25-1 5-1
Clemson 7-1 6-1
Michigan 10-1 10-1
Washington 12-1 12-1
LSU 18-1 12-1

Michigan State is still seen as a long shot to get past Michigan and Ohio State en route to a Big Ten title for the second straight year. The Spartans' national championship odds remain steady at 60-1 despite the big win over Notre Dame.

LSU is 0-3 ATS, but new quarterback Danny Etling has shown the oddsmakers something in a game and a half of action. LSU's price shortened from 18-1 to 12-1 this week.

Oklahoma and Notre Dame were naturally among the teams that saw their odds lengthen, each moving from 25-1 to 100-1. Florida State was 6-1 last week and rose to just 25-1 after being demolished by Louisville

Tennessee took yet another dip at the window after struggling against Ohio, moving from 18-1 to 25-1.

Chalk bits
Last week we mentioned that Army could start a season 3-0 as well as win and cover three straight games for the first time since 1996, the only 10-win season in school history. The Knights played with passion for fallen teammate Brandon Jackson in a 66-14 demolition of UTEP. Army was a four-point road favorite in El Paso, which makes the victory so historically remarkable that it gets this section all to itself this week.

Here is every game Army has played as a road favorite between that 1996 season and last week:
Army As A Road Fave, Since 1996
YEAR OPPONENT LINE RESULT ATS RESULT SCORE
1997 Duke -6 L L 17-20
1998 Rutgers -10 L L 15-27
2002 Rutgers -4 L L 0-44
2004 East Carolina -3 L L 28-38
2006 Arkansas State -5 L L 6-14
2010 Eastern Michigan -9 W L 31-27
2011 Ball State -4 L L 21-48
2011 Miami, Oh -3 L L 28-35
2012 Eastern Michigan -2 L L 38-48
2013 Temple -1 L L 14-33
2014 Wake Forest -3 L L 21-24
2014 Yale -14 L L 43-49
2014 Kent -3 L L 17-39

So 13 outings as road chalk in the past 20 years produced: Zero covers.

Twelve straight-up losses, by an average of more than two touchdowns. One win -- narrowly, over possibly the lowliest program in the FBS. That's the streak that went down last week in El Paso, and it was a very inspired team that snapped it.

As for the Knights' chances to buck history once again and duplicate the feat in Buffalo this week: Laying two touchdowns as this emotionally drained team hits the road for the third time in four weeks is strictly for those who like to bet on lightning striking twice.

These are a couple of my favorites:

No. 19 Florida Gators at No. 14 Tennessee Volunteers (-6.5) 3:30 p.m., CBS
I had Tennessee over Virginia Tech two weeks ago, and after a rough first quarter in which the Volunteers trailed 14-0, they came back to deliver the win. That looks even better now after Virginia Tech beat Boston College 49-0. In Week 3, I had Ohio plus four touchdowns, as Tennessee was in a massive flat spot, having just played in front of 156,000 fans and having four huge games on deck. It was an enjoyable game for me to watch. This week, I am back on the Vols.

Florida has perhaps the best defense in the country and is holding opponents to 286 yards below their season average and to just 130 total yards per game, but the Gators have taken on three flawed offenses. I am concerned about how Tennessee's offensive line, which has allowed seven sacks, will perform against a Florida defense that has recorded 16 sacks in just three games. Senior quarterback Joshua Dobbs' mobility will help. On the flip side, Tennessee has my No. 15-rated defense, holding foes to 116 yards per game, but it will be without cornerback Cameron Sutton. Tennessee does have a solid edge on offense, and Florida will be without quarterback Luke Del Rio.

The Vols led 27-14 last season and were in control, but they fell apart late on the road, allowing a 63-yard touchdown on fourth-and-long after a short pass with 1:45 left. Yes, I know that Florida has won 11 in a row in the series, but that makes this one of the most important games of the year for the home team.

ATS pick: Tennessee
Score: Tennessee 23, Florida 21

He says he is worried how the UT OL will hold up against the nation's best defense but Tennessee has a "solid" edge on offense...

Then this:

ATS pick: Tennessee 23, Florida 21 (take the under)
The total is currently 43

Back