E$PN IN$IDERS - Week 3 College Football

NYGiants25

NY Giants fan, anyone?
Phil Steele's best Week 3 college football bets

Each week during the 2016 college football season, I will offer my picks and best bets for the biggest games, and I will highlight a handful of other key matchups.

Last year, my selections went 104-33 (76 percent) picking the straight-up (SU) winners during the regular season and 74-61-2 (55 percent) against the spread (ATS).

Last week was a solid week, going 5-3 SU and 6-2 (75 percent) ATS. Here are my selections for this week's big games.

Here are my selections on this week's big games, including Florida State vs. Louisville.

Note: All times Eastern on Saturday, September 17. Lines courtesy of Westgate SuperBook as of Wednesday morning.

No. 2 Florida State Seminoles (-2.5) at No. 10 Louisville Cardinals Noon, ABC
This will be the toughest road test of the year for Florida State. Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson has accounted for 13 touchdowns in just two games, but the Cardinals' first two opponents, Charlotte and Syracuse, rank among the weakest on defense in the FBS. Even though Florida State will be without star safety Derwin James, it still have one of the top defenses in the country. The Seminoles also have an exciting quarterback in redshirt freshman Deondre Francois, who might be the better passer of the two signal callers in this contest. Both teams have 17 returning starters, and Florida State won this game by 20 at home last year. Now on the road, Florida State will prevail, but it will be closer.

ATS pick: Florida State
Score: Florida State 41, Louisville 34

No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide (-10) at No. 19 Ole Miss Rebels 3:30 p.m., CBS
Ole Miss enters this home contest on a two-game winning streak against the Tide in what was otherwise a historically one-sided series. I was impressed with the Rebels' defensive line versus the Seminoles, and they have the quarterback edge with Chad Kelly. Jalen Hurts is mobile, like Francois, but I do not think he is as polished a passer.

The Tide will have to get the run game going first and then use Hurts' mobility and a great set of receivers versus a banged up Rebel secondary. The key to this game is the Alabama defensive line going up against a Rebel offensive line that is a bit of a question mark this year. Alabama has the best defense in the country and a powerful run game. The Tide lost here in 2014 despite leading 14-3 at halftime and outgaining the Rebels 396 to 327 yards.

Nick Saban's team plays its best ball in hostile environments, and since that road loss to Ole Miss, the Tide have faced four ranked teams in the opponents' stadium. Not only are they 4-0, but they've won those games by an average of 32.5 to 10.5.

ATS pick: Alabama
Score: Alabama 31, Ole Miss 13

No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes (-2) at No. 14 Oklahoma Sooners 7:30 p.m., FOX
Over the summer, Las Vegas had the Sooners as a touchdown favorite; now they're a home 'dog. Oklahoma did not look great against Houston last week, when it couldn't stop quarterback Greg Ward on third down and allowed a 109-yard "kick six."

Ohio State is talented, but is the least experienced team in the country. It has looked great at home versus a couple of overmatched foes, outgaining Bowling Green and Tulsa by 381 yards per game. Last week the Buckeyes rolled the Golden Hurricane, but didn't score their first offensive touchdown until 9:42 was left in the third quarter.

Bob Stoops is 96-8 at home and has not been a home 'dog since 2000, when the Sooners upset No. 1 Nebraska.

With the Big 12 a major question mark for the playoffs, a win here by the Sooners would put them right back in the national title chase. My computer has Ohio State, but I will pick the more experienced home 'dog to play its best game of the year in what will be a totally different sort of test for a young Buckeye team.

ATS pick: Oklahoma (+)
Score: Oklahoma 30, Ohio State 24

No. 12 Michigan State Spartans at No. 18 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (-7.5) 7:30 p.m., NBC
Michigan State is right back where it wants to be: under the radar. When two analysts on the Big Ten Network recently gave their power ratings, neither had Michigan State among the top five teams of the Big Ten.

Last year, I had a disagreement with my computer on the Michigan State and Michigan game, and while the Spartans won on a blocked punt, they did have a 20-10 first-down edge. I disagree with my computer again on this particular matchup: It has Notre Dame winning by 17 with a 470-280 edge in yardage.

I like the Irish, and I think they could be favored in their last 11 games and make the playoffs. I also know how dangerous Michigan State is as a 'dog. In the last ten years, the Spartans have been an underdog 11 times and are 9-2 ATS in those games, with seven outright upsets. They could have one of head coach Mark Dantonio's best defenses, and quarterback Tyler O'Connor already led an upset of No. 2 Ohio State on the road last year.

ATS pick: Michigan State (+)
Score: Notre Dame 23, Michigan State 20

Colorado Buffaloes at No. 4 Michigan Wolverines (-20.5) 3:30, Big Ten Network
Coach Mike MacIntyre inherited a rebuilding situation, but now in his fourth year, he has an upperclassmen-laden, bowl-caliber team. Colorado was just 2-5 on the road last year, but the Buffaloes were outscored by only 8.5 points per game away from Boulder. Both teams have opened with two weak foes, but the stats are similar. Colorado has won by an average of 50-7, outgaining Colorado State and Idaho State (combined 9-14 in 2015) by 427 yards per game. Michigan has won its games by an average of 57-9, outgaining Hawaii and UCF (combined 3-22 in 2015) by just 198 yards per game. This is an underrated Colorado team that will keep this one closer than expected.

ATS pick: Colorado (+)
Score: Michigan 31, Colorado 20

Ohio Bobcats at No. 15 Tennessee Volunteers (-28) 12:00 p.m., SEC Network
I had Tennessee last week and was a little worried when it was down 14-0 against Virginia Tech with a big yardage deficit after the first quarter. The Vols then took over and went on a 45-3 run, showing their potential. On deck are four crucial games that will determine the Vols' season: They host Florida, travel to Georgia and Texas A&M, and then host Alabama. That adds up to playing four ranked teams in four weeks.

Tennessee needs to keep quarterback Joshua Dobbs healthy and might limit his runs, which are a big part of the offense. The Appalachian State game will have the Vols more focused at the start of the game, but the second half should have them trying to build depth for the upcoming gauntlet.

The Bobcats are a well-coached squad, and while they have taken on two weak foes, their average of 563 yards per game is still impressive. Ohio outgained Kansas 359 to 21 yards at the half versus Kansas last week and will keep this closer than expected.

ATS pick: Ohio
Score: Tennessee 38, Ohio 17

No. 11 Texas Longhorns (-8) at California Golden Bears 10:30 p.m., FOX
Texas is my pick for most improved team in the country, and it has accumulated a spread record of 30-11-1 over the past four years. In 2014, TCU was my selection for most improved, and its offense went from 25.1 to 46.5 points per game. I expect a similar transformation from the Longhorns. Their two-headed quarterback system is the perfect combination. With top-notch passer Shane Buechele as starter and Tyrone Swoopes operating the "18-wheeler" package, the Longhorns have averaged 46 points per game in two games.

Last year, the Horns outgained Cal at home 650 to 548 yards, but their punter dropped a snap, and the Bears escaped with a 45-44 win. Last week, Cal outgained San Diego State 604 to 463 yards , but gave up touchdowns on a kick return and interception return. This won't be easy, but I will continue to ride with Texas, even on the road.

ATS pick: Texas
Score: Texas 45, California 34

No. 16 Georgia Bulldogs (-7) at Missouri Tigers 7:30 p.m., SEC Network
Georgia had a great win over North Carolina, and then barely got past Nicholls last week. Missouri looked poor in its opener, but dominated a weak Eastern Michigan team at home last week.

Last year, Missouri was in the midst of a losing season, but went between the hedges and lost by only three against a Georgia team that finished with 10 wins. Missouri has a solid defense, and Georgia is still trying to figure out its starting quarterback.

My computer is calling for Missouri to outgain Georgia 379 to 363 and win outright by five. I still rate the Bulldogs the stronger team and will call for them to escape, but only by a point.

ATS pick: Missouri (+)
Score: Georgia 17, Missouri 16

Georgia State Panthers at No. 9 Wisconsin Badgers (-33.5) Noon, ESPN
I have been very impressed with the Badgers, who have played great on both offense and defense. They had a 21-14 edge in first downs versus LSU in Week 1. Last week, they took on an Akron squad that will contend for the MAC East title and throttled them with a 32-10 edge in first downs.

In 2014, Georgia State was a 1-11 team. Last year, the Panthers surprised some teams and got to a bowl, finishing 6-7. Quarterback Nick Arbuckle was the catalyst to that bowl bid, but he is gone, and the Panthers' quarterbacks have combined to complete just 50.7 percent of their passes. They were outgained by Ball State by 183 yards at home, and last week were outgained by 362 yards at Air Force. They got a touchdown on their opening drive versus Air Force, but had just three first downs the rest of the game.

After averaging just 3.8 yards per carry in 2015, the Badgers got it going versus Akron last week with 294 rushing yards and 5.3 yards per carry. Georgia State is allowing 395 yards per game on the ground and 5.8 yards per carry. With Michigan State on deck, this could be a potential look-ahead game for the Badgers, but they will dominate the line of scrimmage and roll to a big win. Last year, Wisconsin allowed a combined total of three points in its three nonconference home games.

ATS pick: Wisconsin
Score: Wisconsin 45, Georgia State 3

Early betting look for Week 3: Buy USC, sell Louisiana-Lafayette
Will Harris

What effect did Tennessee's big win have on the Vols' title chances? Which Rocky Mountain rebuilding efforts are starting to bear fruit? Which program can accomplish an against-the-spread feat it hasn't achieved in 20 years with a win this week? And which team is the talk of the town right now but should refocus before its next matchup -- one that it was expected to be a double-digit home favorite in but could be much tougher?

We cover all of that in a gambling recap of Week 2 and a look-ahead to a Week 3 college football slate that features four matchups between ranked teams.

Portfolio checkup
Buy
USC Trojans: Southern California took both a whipping and some personnel hits in the opener against Alabama but bounced back with a big win over Utah State. We love this team's unity and closeness, and its talent is finally back to par again after a few years of scholarship reductions. The Trojans will drop some more games against a loaded schedule, but this outfit is way better than it looked against Alabama.

Colorado Buffaloes: There's a totally different feel around this program in Year 4 under Mike MacIntyre. The 2016 Buffs have a belief and confidence that was missing from recent editions, and for good reason: This team is older, wiser, bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic and deeper than any since the last Colorado team to play in the postseason -- an Independence Bowl loser to Nick Saban's first Alabama squad back in 2007. The Buffs are 2-0 against the spread, outscoring their first two foes 100-14 and outgaining them by 854 yards.

Wyoming Cowboys: Coach Craig Bohl built what might have been the greatest power rushing teams in FCS history and won three consecutive national titles at North Dakota State. His championship culture is now taking hold in Year 3 in Laramie. The Cowboys couldn't hold on to the cover last week at Nebraska despite trailing by only seven points entering the fourth quarter, but after two games it's evident that the offensive line has absorbed Bohl's signature toughness, and one of the Mountain West's better linebacker groups is leading an improved rush defense. The progress of the latter will be the real key to turning around a program that has allowed 200 yards per game on the ground for six straight years.

Sell
Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns: The Cajuns lost four straight to close last year's disappointing 4-8 campaign and don't look improved so far in 2016. Mark Hudspeth fired defensive coordinator Melvin Smith and shuffled the depth chart after a blowout loss to Boise State in Week 1. The results were better in a comeback win over FCS foe McNeese State, but this unit is still weak, and the offense has yet to prove that it has more bullets in the gun besides star running back and 2014 Sun Belt Player of the Year Elijah McGuire. This team is still figuring it out on both sides of the ball.

Games of interest
Florida State Seminoles (-3.5) at Louisville Cardinals
Sophomore quarterback Lamar Jackson's Louisville offense has scored 132 points this year, with the team outgaining its opponents by 886 yards. The Seminoles are looking just as explosive with their own gifted underclassman Deondre Francois under center, and have now covered seven straight regular-season games. Last year, Florida State started to pull away from Louisville late in the third quarter, and turned what had been a close game into a 41-21 win. But the last meeting in Louisville, the Seminoles trailed 21-0 with under a minute to play in the first half, and then -- just like Labor Day night against Ole Miss -- used a late-first-half touchdown to turn the momentum and wound up covering as a single-digit favorite. This year's game carries the same price as that 42-31 Seminoles win, although you can be assured that when the totals are posted later in the week, this one will be higher than the 51 that oddsmakers hung on the 2014 matchup.

New Mexico Lobos at Rutgers Scarlet Knights (-4)
It's hard to believe that Rutgers was that bad toward the end of Kyle Flood's tenure, but the Scarlet Knights have not outgained an FBS opponent other than Kansas since 2014. They'll get another chance this week at a very short price against a New Mexico team that has a tough mental and logistical turnaround for this long road trip, coming off a 32-31 heartbreaker on the road at rival New Mexico State. If the vast talent gap in this matchup isn't sufficient to cover this one, it's a sign of a very tough season ahead for new coach Chris Ash.

UNLV Rebels at Central Michigan Chippewas (-13)
UNLV lost at Michigan and Northern Illinois last September, covering both games by two touchdowns, so a flight to the Midwest is old hat. This fast-rising outfit can play Central Michigan's power game in the trenches and catches the Chips coming off a wild, controversial upset win over Oklahoma State in Stillwater that will still be the talk of campus all week.

Movers and shakers
After two weeks, there are just five teams the Westgate oddsmakers take seriously enough to price lower than 18-1. Despite merely routing lowly Idaho at home, the Washington Huskies jumped into this group of contenders, plummeting from 30-1 to 12-1.

TEAM LAST WEEK CURRENT
Alabama 5-1 4.5-1
Florida State 6-1 6-1
Clemson 6-1 7-1
Ohio State 6-1 7-1
Michigan 8-1 8-1
Washington 30-1 12-1

The oddsmakers were evidently unimpressed with Tennessee Volunteers' turnover-fueled whipping of Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway, and now seem willing to encourage action on this team. The price on offer lengthened from 12-1 to 18-1 despite the big win.

The LSU Tigers likewise have seen their stock slip in Las Vegas after the offense struggled in a loss to Wisconsin and a non-cover vs. FCS foe Jacksonville State. The Tigers have plunged from 8-1 in August to 15-1 last week to now 18-1 alongside the Vols.

Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson showed up for the second straight week, recording an ACC-record 610 yards of total offense at Syracuse. He's now thrown for seven touchdowns and rushed for six more in just two games, and has seen his Heisman odds fall from 100-1 at opening all the way to 8-1, while his team's title odds took one of the steepest drops of the week, going from 50-1 to 25-1.

The Iowa Hawkeyes' odds were also halved, from 40-1 to 20-1, after an impressive blowout of rival Iowa State that ran coach Kirk Ferentz's career record against the Cyclones to 9-9.

Most winners in big Week 1 games -- like Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Texas and Houston -- struggled and/or failed to cover in Week 2, while the Wisconsin Badgers stayed focused in downing Akron 54-10. Yet, Wisconsin saw its national title odds lengthen from 60-1 to 80-1, in part thanks to impressive performances from league favorites Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa -- all of which are on Wisconsin's schedule this year.

Chalk bits
Army's road trip to UTEP is off the board because of the uncertain status of Miners quarterback Zack Greenlee, but the Black Knights have the opportunity to start 3-0 for the first time since the 1996 team produced the school's only 10-win season. That was also the last season that saw Army win and cover three straight games. Cadets backers are not only asking for something that hasn't been done in 20 years, but they might have to do it as a road favorite.

The American Athletic Conference is entering just its fourth season, but already Houston and Cincinnati have developed a rep for high-flying offenses. Don't be surprised if the total doesn't match the hype in Thursday's showdown. The under has cashed in two of the three meetings as AAC leaguemates, and each team has gone under the total in seven of its past 10 games. Houston's top two offensive players have been limited with minor injuries, while Cincinnati's 2016 identity is more about rushing and defense after changing quarterbacks and losing the top six receivers from a year ago.

Baylor has won and covered seven straight against Rice, including last year's 70-17 humiliation. To break the streak, the Owls will have to overcome a serious speed disadvantage on the perimeter -- one that Western Kentucky exploited repeatedly in the opener, hitting seven plays of more than 25 yards.

It's extremely rare that a MAC team is favored in a Big Ten stadium, but Bowling Green delivered as field goal chalk at Purdue last year, and now Western Michigan will lay about the same in its effort to mount Illinois on its wall alongside Week 1 victim Northwestern.

Don't be surprised if Oklahoma gets a big win for the Big 12
KC Joyner

It's the surprises -- the upsets, the unexpected conference champions, the dark horse Heisman Trophy contenders -- that enliven each college football season.

Each week, this column will attempt to identify those surprising results before they happen. For Week 3, the premise is simple -- the Big 12 will re-establish its elite Power 5 credentials when its best team wins the biggest matchup of the week.

Don't be surprised if Oklahoma defeats Ohio State
The Buckeyes are the first team to be favored over Oklahoma in Norman in 16 years.

At some level this is understandable. Ohio State has won its first two games by a combined score of 125-13 and currently ranks fifth nationally in both offensive yards per game (596.5) and yards allowed per game (216).

As impressive as those numbers are, a slew of factors point toward Oklahoma being the much better team in this matchup.

Incredible disparity in returning starting talent
Ohio State brought back a total of six offensive and defensive starters from last season's squad, a total that was the lowest in the nation. The Buckeyes lost their top running back (Ezekiel Elliott), three starting offensive linemen, all three starting wide receivers and their starting tight end. Ohio State saw equally daunting departure levels on defense, losing three starting defensive linemen, two starting linebackers, one starting cornerback and both starting safeties.

By contrast, Oklahoma returned a ton of talent, including a Heisman Trophy contender in quarterback Baker Mayfield, maybe the best running back tandem in the Big 12 in Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine, one of the best defensive tackles in the nation in Charles Walker, three All-Big 12 players in their secondary, and an All-Big 12 kicker/punter in Austin Seibert.

Oklahoma has a huge edge in the passing game
Mayfield ranks seventh among Power 5 quarterbacks in Total QBR (82.2). He also ranks fifth in Total QBR on vertical passes (99.6 on aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield) and 11th in Total QBR on passing plays (88.1).

Those metrics could move even higher when Dede Westbrook and Geno Lewis start to return to their elite downfield receiving form. Westbrook and Lewis both have less than stellar yards per reception totals thus far this season (Westbrook 8.6, Lewis 8.7), but Westbrook had as many stretch vertical targets (passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield) as Sterling Shepard last season (18) and Lewis ranked seventh in the Big Ten in stretch vertical receptions in 2014 (seven).

The Sooners also have a scoring machine in Mark Andrews. He set an Oklahoma freshman record for receiving touchdowns last year (seven) and leads the team in touchdowns receptions so far this season (three).

Ohio State is nowhere near as good of shape in the passing game. Quarterback J.T. Barrett ranks 47th among Power 5 quarterbacks in overall Total QBR (50.8), 35th in Total QBR on passing plays (63.6) and 21st in vertical pass Total QBR (94.6).

The Buckeyes' aerial attack could be limited because the receiving corps losses weren't limited to starters. Ohio State returned only one pass catcher with 10 or more receptions from last season, that being H-back Curtis Samuel. Outside of Samuel, returning Buckeyes had only 12 receptions last year.

That pass-catching experience hasn't increased much this year, as Samuel is the team's leading receiver and only one other player has caught more than four passes.

Sooners have an edge in rushing the passer
Rushing the passer might be an area where these teams look equal at first glance, as the Sooners' defense ranks tied for 43rd in sack percentage (4.9 percent), a mark that is only slightly behind Ohio State's 5 percent sack rate (ranked tied for 41st).

Those numbers don't do justice for the pass rushing disparity between these teams. They have dramatically different totals in ESPN's pressure percentage metric (gauging how often a team registers a sack, puts the quarterback under duress or tallies a quarterback hit on a dropback) and quarterback contact percentage (which measures how often a defense makes contact with a quarterback on a dropback).

Oklahoma ranks 11th among Power 5 teams in pressure percentage (35.7 percent) and 18th in quarterback contact percentage (29.1 percent).

Ohio State's 18.8 percent pressure percentage mark ranks 52nd among Power 5 teams, yet it is actually much better than the Buckeyes' 8.9 percent quarterback contact percentage that ranks last among Power 5 teams.

Ohio State's dominant rush defense numbers are a mirage
The Buckeyes' defense ranks tied for ninth among Power 5 teams in percentage of rush plays of five or more yards allowed (26.2 percent), seventh in rush yards allowed per game (65), fifth in yards per rush allowed (2.0) and fourth in yards before contact per rush (0.5).

Before giving Ohio State a ton of credit for dominant performances, do consider that those numbers were racked up against Bowling Green, a club that ranks 123rd nationally in rush yards per game (78.5), and Tulsa, a team that ranks tied for 91st in rush yards per attempt (3.9). It is all but guaranteed that those numbers will decline dramatically when facing the Sooners powerful 1-2 rushing combination of Mixon and Perine.

Buckeyes will be hard pressed to rack up interceptions
Interceptions may be another area of perceived advantage for Ohio State. The Buckeyes have picked off seven passes, a total that is tied for the national lead in that category and leads to a No. 3 rank among Power 5 teams in interception percentage (9.2 percent).

That showing starts to lose its luster when noting that North Dakota's defense racked up just as many interceptions against Bowling Green as Ohio State did (three in both cases).

Things also start to look worse for Ohio State here when noting that Mayfield has yet to throw an interception this season and finished 17th among Power 5 quarterbacks in interception percentage last year (1.8 percent).

Bottom line
Most of Ohio State's starters have zero experience playing a road game, much less an away contest against upper-tier collegiate competition in one of the toughest places to play in college football.

Those factors are part of why ESPN's Football Power Index says Oklahoma has a 54.3 percent chance of winning this game. The Buckeyes will win more than their share of these types of contests eventually, but this week the Sooners will prevail in a game in which they actually should not be considered an underdog.

I hope Phil opines on a Texas game each week so I won't forget he took them as his most improved team.

lmfao ... if they keep winning, you can bet he will keep them on his weekly pick list, podcast, interviews, website and get a wrap made for his car to let everyone know!

also, ive sent him an email regarding a little clarity on the texas 30-11-1 ATS record claim ... ill let you yall know what I hear back :shake:

The most irritating part of his magazine is him spending so much print patting himself on the back. I get that he needs to market himself, but dear god man. At some point the law of diminishing returns has to come into play on cost of ink vs revenue generated

lmfao ... if they keep winning, you can bet he will keep them on his weekly pick list, podcast, interviews, website and get a wrap made for his car to let everyone know!
also, ive sent him an email regarding a little clarity on the texas 30-11-1 ATS record claim ... ill let you yall know what I hear back :shake:

Thanks for continuing to post these.

I think that 30-11-1 ATS record refers to the combined ATS record of Steele's "most improved teams" over the last 3 years, 2013-2015. (Poorly worded on his part last week.) Texas gives him another 2 ATS wins this season to blow his horn. And if they cover again this week, you can bet Steele will remind everyone next week (even though Texas has an off week.)

I like his longshot picks to win it all .. they aren't that long of longshots. He basically has 20 of the top 25 teams he can brag about after the season is over .. just needs the 4 or 5 teams he doesn't mention as a potential champion to not win it. Guy has developed a great product and I am happy for him that he is being rewarded for it but there are some annoying things and the patting himself on the back over and over again is one of them.

The other one that gets me is that almost every team is going to be improved if you read his book. It's hilarious .... Team XYZ lost 20 of 22 starters to graduation and 10 of those players went on to the NFL. They are replacing them with true freshmen 2-star (VLT) recruits. Despite the losses I expect them to have about equal production.

I get it .. in order to have inroads into programs you generally have to deal with someone close to the program and that is going to make for some very half-full glasses but come on.

Anyway, hard to hate on the guy as I love his product, I love his website and he does generate buzz for cfb.

I also think the most improved list is a bit of a crock. He isn't picking most improved teams at all, he is picking teams whose record will improve the most and there is obviously a HUGE difference.

Steele's incessant retweeting of various attention-seeking nerds and dipshits who take pictures of themselves or their dog or 1 year old daughter while "reading" his magazine might be the most annoying thing about him. And there's lots to choose from in that regard.

I think he means that his most improved team is 30-11-1 over the last 3.5 years rather than just Texas. Obviously that is not the Longhorns ATS record in the last 42.

Thanks for continuing to post these.

I think that 30-11-1 ATS record refers to the combined ATS record of Steele's "most improved teams" over the last 3 years, 2013-2015. (Poorly worded on his part last week.) Texas gives him another 2 ATS wins this season to blow his horn. And if they cover again this week, you can bet Steele will remind everyone next week (even though Texas has an off week.)

you are correct ... Todd's response from Phil Steele dot com ...

[FONT=&quot]That is the #1 most improved Teams spread record over the past 4 years. Not
Texas. Texas is our #1 most improved teams this year so we expect them to
have a good ats record.

Todd
[/FONT]

Fallica and Coughlin's best Week 3 CFB bets
Chris Fallica and Steve Coughlin

After an impressive 2015 season, "Stanford Steve" Coughlin of SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt and Chris Fallica of ESPN Stats & Information and College GameDay are back. Every week during the college football season, they'll give their best bets for picking the weekend's top college football games and, as a bonus, give one pick apiece free of charge.

2016 record:
Fallica: 3-9 ATS
Coughlin: 2-7-1 ATS

2015 season record:
Fallica: 53-40-3 ATS (55.2 percent)
Coughlin: 38-29-3 ATS (54.3 percent)

2014 season record:
Fallica: 44-40 ATS (52.4 percent)
Coughlin: 45-28-1 ATS (60.8 percent)

Note: Against the spread (ATS) and total picks are in bold. Odds are courtesy of the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook.

Louisville Cardinals (+2) vs. Florida State Seminoles
Fallica: I think both teams are national title contenders, and a loss doesn't eliminate either. FSU already has a win over Ole Miss and still has matchups with Clemson and Florida, while Louisville still has games with Houston and Clemson. Louisville has had FSU on the ropes each of the last two years, but hasn't finished. The loss of Derwin James is huge in the Seminoles' scheme to defend against the running ability of Lamar Jackson. As good as Deondre Francois was at Doak Campbell South (in Orlando vs. Ole Miss), this is still his first road start and Louisville's defense is no joke. I'll take the Cardinals at home to pull off the small upset.

ATS pick: Louisville 31, Florida State 24

Coughlin: What more can you ask for in a conference matchup in Week 3 of the college football season?
While most will focus on Jackson, who comes into the game with 13 touchdowns over the first two games for Bobby Petrino's team, my biggest factor in this game is James, FSU's do-everything safety/linebacker, who will be out this game. I think he is as valuable a defensive player as there is in the country, and while Florida State has depth in the secondary, with how good of an offensive mind Petrino is, I think the Cardinals offense will have a great day.

I picked Louisville in this game last year, and it was in Tallahassee. As long as Jackson doesn't try to do too much, I think Louisville wins an enormous game at home in front of what should be an inspired crowd, as College GameDay comes to Papa John's Stadium for the first time.

ATS pick: Louisville 35, Florida State 31

Ohio State Buckeyes (-1.5) at Oklahoma Sooners
Fallica: Oklahoma gets to use a mulligan for its Week 1 loss to Houston. A win by the Sooners essentially erases that loss, but a loss here would eliminate them -- and even maybe the Big 12 -- from College Football Playoff contention. So, expect OU to play its best game.

Will it be enough? I know Ohio State hasn't played anyone great the first two weeks, but the Buckeyes have been dominant -- something last year's team of first-round picks couldn't claim. I love their defense with Sam Hubbard, Malik Hooker, Raekwon McMillan and Robert Landers. Can the OU offense generate enough, and suddenly find depth at wide receiver? I'm not sure. I sense a hunger and determination from this Buckeye team after so many guys seemed to go through the motions. It has become a trendy pick now, and the last time OU was a home dog, it upset No. 1 Nebraska. However, I'll still go with Ohio State.

ATS pick: Ohio State 34, Oklahoma 24

Coughlin: I'll keep this simple: I'm not going against Urban Meyer. You've seen the data on how good he is in road games, and it's obvious he has tremendous talent on both sides of the ball. He has a quarterback who has plenty of experience in J.T. Barrett, who has accounted for 76 touchdowns over his three-year career (including 25 on the ground), and who should be excited to play in the state of Oklahoma, considering he went to high school in Texas.

I know Ohio State struggled to put the ball in the end zone against Tulsa last week, and grew their lead thanks to some defensive touchdowns late in the first half, but I just trust Meyer and the Buckeyes in this spot. Oklahoma is as tough a home team as there is in America, but I see a quarterback in Baker Mayfield who simply doesn't trust his receiving corps, which scares me because the Buckeyes defense has what it takes to slow down Samaje Perine. We saw what happens when the Sooners offense becomes one dimensional vs. Houston: Mayfield tries to too much and forces things. I like the Buckeyes to win a great football game

ATS pick: Ohio State 28, Oklahoma 23

San Jose State Spartans (+13) vs. Utah Utes
Fallica: Bookended by an emotional win over their BYU rival, then a short week leading up to a Friday visit from USC -- which handed Utah its first loss last year -- forgive the Utes if they can't get fully cranked for this one, especially knowing the Spartans were blown out by Tulsa in their only game versus an FBS opponent. This is an experienced SJSU team, and I expect they will treat this as their Super Bowl. Utah wins an ugly game.

ATS pick: Utah 28, San Jose State 17

Texas San Antonio Roadrunners (+19.5) vs. Arizona State Sun Devils
Fallica: Friday night action for you! Texas San Antonio has played Arizona State very close the last couple years, including as a 31-point 'dog last year. The Roadrunners get the Sun Devils at a great time -- coming off a track meet vs. Texas Tech, and right before they start conference play. It's not like ASU hasn't played down to the level of competition -- see a 14-point win over Cal Poly last year and a sleep-walking effort for a little over three quarters vs. Northern Arizona in the opener. UTSA won't win, but I don't think this is a 21-point blowout, either.

ATS pick: Arizona State 36, UTSA 26

Notre Dame Fighting Irish (-7.5) vs. Michigan State Spartans
Fallica: We know nothing about this edition of Michigan State, but typically the Spartans play well as a 'dog -- yes, they were blown out in a terrible matchup vs. Alabama in the CFP last year. I really like Notre Dame as a team, and think DeShone Kizer is big time. He'll get Torii Hunter Jr. back at WR this week and that should further help a very potent offense. Michigan State could come in with a chip on its shoulder given all the Big Ten talk is about Michigan and Ohio State, but I just don't know if the Spartans have the firepower to slow down the Irish.

ATS pick: Notre Dame 30, Michigan State 20

Vanderbilt Commodores (+6.5) at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Fallica: I think Vandy's defense will do more than enough to keep them in the game, and the offense busted out last week versus Middle Tennessee after laying an egg against South Carolina in the opener. I trust Derek Mason's defense more than any other unit in the game -- Tech beat Boston College 17-14 in the opener despite gaining only 238 yards. Expect similar low offensive production from the Jackets, but the Vandy offense will do much more than BC, and it will be enough to walk away with a road win.

ATS pick: Vanderbilt 23, Georgia Tech 21

Pittsburgh Panthers (+6) at Oklahoma State Cowboys
Fallica: Pitt's hard-nosed mentality might be a bad matchup for the Pokes here. People might be overvaluing Oklahoma State, thinking the Cowboys will be extra motivated after losing a game to Central Michigan they probably should have won last week. I think Pitt will control the trenches and slow down the Oklahoma State offense enough. Expect another big game on the ground from James Conner and the Pitt running game, as the Panthers pull the road upset.

ATS pick: Pitt 33, Oklahoma State 31

Texas Longhorns (-8) at California Golden Bears Over/under: 81
Coughlin: Things are gonna get weird in Berkeley on Saturday night, which isn't new for folks familiar with Telegraph Avenue and, of course, the great establishment of Henry's.

A couple of stats explain why I feel there will be a lot of points scored in this game by both teams. Cal quarterback Davis Webb attempted 72 passes in the loss to San Diego State last week, the most in a game by an FBS quarterback this season. California is also averaging 481.5 passing yards per game.

Cal and Texas are running two of the fastest offenses in the country; California runs a play every 18.5 seconds, fourth-fastest among FBS teams, while Texas is ninth at 19.9 seconds per play. Texas has had five touchdown drives that took one minute or less this season, tied for the second-most in the FBS, behind Charlie Strong's former squad, Louisville. It'll be a late night in Bezerkeley.

ATS pick: Texas 55, Cal 42 (take the over)

Oregon Ducks (+3) at Nebraska Cornhuskers
Coughlin: This should a great out-of-conference game where we can tell a lot about each team going forward -- especially as they enter conference play. I know Mike Riley lost his last seven "Civil War" games vs. the Ducks when he was the head man in Corvallis, but there has to be something he could take from those games, right? You have to feel this is as close he has been talent-level wise to the team from Eugene in a while, even if he had to change schools to do so.

Oregon's defense is allowing 27 points per game in wins over UC Davis, an FCS school, and Virginia, who had three running backs ran 31 times for 220 yards, an average of 7.1 yards per carry. I'm curious to see how the Ducks handle their first true road game with new quarterback Dakota Prukop at the helm.

I like the 'Huskers to play well and win on a big national stage, building some momentum as conference play begins.

ATS pick: Nebraska 34, Oregon 24

USC Trojans (+8) at Stanford Cardinal
Coughlin: You can call it a "happiness hedge" or a "reverse beg" -- call it whatever you want, but I think I have a pretty good feel on my alma mater, seeing as how I don't think I've missed a snap in the David Shaw era.

The biggest factor in this game is that USC has everything to gain and Stanford has everything to lose. And yes, I know it's Week 3. But think about it: The Trojans already have a big loss and this will be the third time in just over a calendar year that these two teams will play. Let's be honest, when Alabama scored within the first two minutes of the second half vs. USC to make the score 24-3, you could see the Trojans lay down. So, Clay Helton has to have the full attention of his team as they have a chance to get back on the national radar against the No. 7 team in the country and Heisman candidate Christian McCaffrey.

Stanford wins a close one, but take the points with the Trojans.

ATS pick: Stanford 24, USC 20

The most irritating part of his magazine is him spending so much print patting himself on the back. I get that he needs to market himself, but dear god man. At some point the law of diminishing returns has to come into play on cost of ink vs revenue generated

I'll never forget what he did in Sept 2001. He took advantage of the attack on the WTC to wipe the slate clean and act like his week 1 and 2 picks never happened. He had a 5* GOM on SMU vs. TCU that was a huge loser that he flushed down the memory hole.

Back