E$PN IN$IDERS - Week 1 College Football 2

NYGiants25

NY Giants fan, anyone?
Phil Steele's best Week 2 college football bets
Sep 7, 2016

Each week during the 2016 college football season, I will offer my picks and best bets for the biggest games, and I will highlight a handful of other key matchups.

Last year, my selections went 104-33 (76 percent) picking the straight-up (SU) winners during the regular season and 74-61-2 (55 percent) against the spread (ATS).

Here are my selections on this week's big games, including Tennessee vs. Virginia Tech and Arkansas vs. TCU.

Note: All times Eastern. Lines courtesy of Westgate SuperBook as of Wednesday morning.

Saturday

Arkansas Razorbacks at No. 15 TCU Horned Frogs (-7.5) 7 p.m., ESPN
Both teams had unexpected struggles last week. TCU's experienced defense allowed 41 points, which culminated in the Frogs' leading South Dakota State by only four points in the fourth quarter. Arkansas faced a Louisiana Tech team without its starting quarterback (suspended). The Bulldogs missed a fourth-quarter field goal that would have given them a 23-14 lead, but instead the Hogs pulled off a one-point win with a late, fourth-down touchdown run.

The Hogs' problems look a little more severe at this point in the season. Their offensive line averages "just" 311 pounds per man, which is on the smaller side of typical; Louisiana Tech had a larger offensive line last week. The Hogs averaged only 2.7 yards per carry last week and allowed three sacks. They struggled early in 2015, including a 103-rushing yard effort (3.3 yards per carry) vs. Toledo in Week 2.

TCU quarterback Kenny Hill threw for 386 yards against the Arkansas defense in 2014, when he was with Texas A&M. If Arkansas had its offensive line at peak efficiency, I would lean with the 'dog. If they are forced to throw, I look for an opportunistic Frog defense.

ATS pick: TCU
Score: TCU 31, Arkansas 20

Penn State Nittany Lions (+6) at Pittsburgh Panthers Noon, ESPN
I am very happy that the rivalry that at one time was among the top 10 in college football is being renewed. I have these teams rated almost dead even in terms of talent, with the biggest edge going to Pitt on special teams. Penn State fans will travel and make up a decent part of the crowd, which will perhaps lessen the home edge. Both played lackluster games last week, with one eye looking ahead to this much-anticipated matchup.

I consider the game a toss-up and will call it going right down to the wire, with Penn State having a great shot at the upset. I will take the 'dog almost getting a full touchdown.

ATS pick: Penn State (+)
Score: Pitt 24, Penn State 23

Central Michigan Chippewas (+21) at No. 22 Oklahoma State Cowboys Noon, Fox Sports 1
Last year in this column, I had Oklahoma State winning by 31 on the road, but the Cowboys struggled and won by only 11. I thought John Bonamego did a great job with the Chips last year in getting them to a bowl. Now in his second season, he has 16 returning starters and an NFL-caliber quarterback in Cooper Rush.

Oklahoma State has 17 returning starters and just hung 61 points on South East Louisiana (FCS), despite pulling the starters in the second quarter. Central Michigan is on a nice 8-1 run as an away underdog, and last year, the Chippewas traveled to East Lansing and had a 340-324 yard edge. They have enough talent to make this one closer than expected and some backdoor potential as well.

ATS pick: Central Michigan (+)
Score: Oklahoma State 38, Central Michigan 27

Kentucky Wildcats (+17) at Florida Gators 3:30 p.m., CBS
Florida was underwhelming last week in its 24-7 win over Massachusetts. Kentucky was dominant early on against Southern Miss and led 35-10 with 56 seconds left in the first half. From that point on, the Wildcats were out-gained 332-22, and they lost outright. Now Big Blue Nation is thinking coaching change.

This is a circle-the-wagons game for the Wildcats. They probably should have beaten Florida two years ago in the Swamp but lost in triple overtime. Last year Florida won by just five, barely edging the Wildcats 245-241 in total yards. Kentucky has improved quarterback play, is the more experienced team and won't be intimidated after standing toe-to-toe the past two years. Take the points with an inflated spread.

ATS pick: Kentucky (+)
Score: Florida 30, Kentucky 21

No. 17 Tennessee Volunteers (-11) vs. Virginia Tech Hokies in Bristol, Tennessee 8:00 p.m., ABC
Last week's close call against Appalachian State has many Volunteer fans in a panic, with many around the nation labeling Tennessee overrated. I think it was the best thing to happen to the Vols -- they came in a little overconfident after reading their press clippings. App State is a veteran, underrated team. I look for a much different Volunteer squad to show up Saturday in a game they might have been looking ahead to last week. Virginia Tech is a good team, but the Hokies catch the Vols in the wrong week.

The game is at the Bristol Motor Speedway. The renovated race track is about halfway between the two schools, and it will be the largest crowd ever for a college football game, at roughly 150,000.

ATS pick: Tennessee
Score: Tennessee 34, Virginia Tech 17

UTEP Miners at No. 11 Texas Longhorns (-27.5) 7:00 p.m., Longhorn Network
Texas is my most improved team in the country, and that team has accumulated a spread record of 29-11-1 the past four seasons, so expect the Longhorns to be among my best bets often this year. In 2014, TCU was my No. 1 Most Improved team, and the offense went from 25.1 to 46.5 points per game. I expect a similar transformation from the 'Horns and their two-headed quarterback system, with the perfect combination between Shane Buechele, the starter and top-notch passer, and Tyrone Swoopes, who operates the "18 wheeler" package.

UTEP running back Aaron Jones had a career-high 249 yards rushing last week against a weak New Mexico State defense. UTEP is a much better team with him healthy, and the Miners will need him to get to a bowl. I expect UTEP to work on its pass game if it gets down and keep Jones fresh for the CUSA schedule.

ATS pick: Texas
Score: Texas 49, UTEP 13

California Golden Bears (+7.5) at San Diego State Aztecs 10:30 p.m., CBS College Sports
Cal had an impressive opening game in Hawaii and had a bye last week to get everything back in sync. Davis Webb threw for 441 yards in the opener against a bottom-20 defense. He won't match those numbers against an Aztec defense that is in the top 20, but he will have success. Rocky Long usually gets out of the gate slowly, going just 4-8 straight up and 3-9 against the spread the past three years.

San Diego State has a large edge on offense and is at home, but Cal has an equally large edge on offense and the stronger special teams. I will call for the upset here.

ATS pick: California (+)
Score: California 28, San Diego State 27

Florida Atlantic Owls (+24) at No. 25 Miami Hurricanes 6:00 p.m.
Miami has quarterback Brad Kaaya, currently regarded as the No. 2 quarterback prospect for next year's NFL draft. The Hurricanes have three talented running backs who all topped 100 yards rushing in last week's 70-3 rout of Florida A&M. The defense suffered a couple of key losses in August, as Mark Richt dismissed star pass rusher Al-Quadin Muhammad along with last year's leading tackler, linebacker Jermaine Grace. The Canes are playing three freshman linebackers, but all are talented. Florida Atlantic was fired up for last year's game at home, and only trailed by three at the half. Miami's superior talent took over in the second half and the Hurricanes -- who are now the host -- won by 24. FAU struggled in a 38-30 win over FCS Southern Illinois at home last week, surrendering 530 yards. Head coach Mark Richt needs big wins to have his team playing with confidence and will get another one this week.

ATS pick: Miami
Score: Miami 44, Florida Atlantic 13

Fallica and Coughlin's best Week 2 CFB bets
Chris Fallica and Steve Coughlin

After an impressive 2015 season, "Stanford Steve" Coughlin of SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt and Chris Fallica of ESPN Stats & Information and College GameDay are back. Every week during the college football season, they'll give their best bets for picking the weekend's top college football games and, as a bonus, give one pick apiece free of charge.

2015 season record:
Fallica: 53-40-3 ATS (55.2 percent)
Coughlin: 38-29-3 ATS (54.3 percent)

2014 season record:
Fallica: 44-40 ATS (52.4 percent)
Coughlin: 45-28-1 ATS (60.8 percent)

Note: Against the spread (ATS) and total picks are in bold. Odds are courtesy of the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook.

Virginia Tech Hokies (+11.5) vs. Tennessee Volunteers
Fallica: It could serve as a blessing in disguise for Tennessee that the Vols struggled in their opener. Coach Butch Jones has all the material he needs to show the team how much it needs to improve and that the offseason press clippings can be shredded. But at the same time, a lot of the questions I had about Tennessee entering the season still remain true. Can Josh Dobbs and this wide receiver group stretch the field? Is the offensive line good enough? If the Vols couldn't control the line of scrimmage against Appalachian State, how will they fare against the Hokies?

I also love Virginia Tech's offensive skill players; Bucky Hodges and Isaiah Ford in particular could be matchup problems for the Vols, and the Hokies are deep at running back. I don't know if it will result in an outright win for Virginia Tech, but I certainly think taking the points is the way to go.

ATS pick: Tennessee 26, Virginia Tech 24

Coughlin: One can only imagine what practice must have been like for the Vols after their less-than-impressive Week 1 win at home versus Appalachian State. It honestly looked like Tennessee's staff held back from installing any quarterback zone read runs, maybe thinking because it didn't need them versus an underrated Appalachian State team. But the fact is that all those returning starters on the lines of scrimmage for Jones' squad were dominated by an FCS team. Hokies coach Bud Foster is surely loving the film of the UT game last week -- seeing a lack of physicality by the offensive line and a lack of a deep threat in the passing game.

Knowing how successful Foster has been in years past, I think the Hokies keep this game close and lose a tight one to Tennessee, as Vols quarterback Joshua Dobbs and company win a big game.

ATS pick: Tennessee 24, Virginia Tech 20

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (+28.5) at Alabama Crimson Tide
Fallica: This game is a perfect candidate to sleepwalk through for the Crimson Tide -- and coach Nick Saban knows it. Still, after a dominant performance Saturday night in a 52-6 undressing of USC and a date in Oxford next week with a team that has beaten Bama each of the past two years, you think Alabama's players are locked in here with maximum effort and emotion? I don't.

If you look back over the past five years, history shows Alabama doesn't cover these huge numbers against non-Power 5 opponents. In its past nine games versus non-Power 5 FBS opponents, Alabama has covered only one. It's human nature to have a little bit of a letdown, and that's what I see here.

ATS pick: Alabama 42, Western Kentucky 17

Wake Forest Demon Deacons (+5) at Duke Blue Devils
Fallica: Wake Forest's offense couldn't have been any worse in its opener against Tulane, but I'm willing to give the Demon Deacons a look here as an underdog. They will improve from Week 1 to Week 2.

Duke's offense may struggle without quarterback Thomas Sirk, especially against a pretty good defense. Five of the past six meetings have been one-score games, so it should be a tight game. And maybe, just maybe, the Demon Deacons finally win one of them.

ATS pick: Wake Forest 20, Duke 17

San Diego State Aztecs (-7.5) vs California Golden Bears
Fallica: I know the game was in Australia, but I saw enough troubling signs with Cal's defense in its opener against Hawaii as it allowed more than 7 yards per play in the first half and could have been behind close to halftime had it not been for an onside kick to open the game. People are going to get all excited about Cal's offense with quarterback Davis Webb, and that's fine, but they must realize as well that the Aztecs' defense is legit, as is running back Donnel Pumphrey.

I think the public will be all over a Pac-12 dog against a Mountain West team, and will happily go the other way here, as it is one of the few chances San Diego State has to make a national impression for a potential NY6 argument.

ATS pick: San Diego State 33, Cal 21

Illinois Fighting Illini (+9.5) vs North Carolina Tar Heels
Fallica: I was fairly surprised by North Carolina's offensive struggles against Georgia. Mitch Trubisky's 24 completions went for only 156 yards, and while Illinois' front and overall defense isn't going to be confused with Georgia's, I do think Illinois' defense will do its part here to keep it in the game.

Last year, the Tar Heels put a 48-14 beating on Illinois. Saturday offers a chance at revenge for the players who took that beating, as well as a chance for Lovie Smith and his coaching staff to make a mark and show how they've improved since last season. And it's not like North Carolina is immune to losses away from home against sub-par teams; see last year's loss to South Carolina for evidence of that. Expect a close one here.

ATS pick: North Carolina 21, Illinois 20

UConn Huskies (+4) at Navy Midshipmen
Coughlin: If you think I hate my country because I'm betting against the Naval Academy for a second straight week, you are not correct. I love our country. Now, you can argue that I am being a little stubborn, but I just have a hunch.

First, Navy is thin at quarterback; the Midshipmen had to go in the stands to get a backup quarterback last week after losing starter Tago Smith. This offensive unit still only has one game under its belt in a season in which it returns just one offensive starter. I like UConn's talent on the defensive side of the ball, especially its defensive line -- guys like Folorunso Fatukasi, Cole Ormsby, Luke Carrezola and captain Mikal Myers. I know Navy is a different animal with the triple option when it comes to defending the run, but the Huskies did hold Maine to 30 yards on the ground last week. Huskies quarterback Bryant Shirreffs is a playmaker and has plenty of toys to play with on offense. The Huskies win on the field.

ATS pick: UConn 20, Navy 17

Texas Tech Red Raiders (+3) at Arizona State Sun Devils
Coughlin: We've got a good one Saturday night in the desert, and this game will be played on the best surface I have played on -- at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona. No other field in America ever made this former 6-foot-3, 250-pound tight end feel faster. So every time I see a match up this exciting at that venue, I get pumped for a crazy game. Add to that my love for Red Raiders quarterback Pat Mahomes and the wide-open Red Raiders offense created by coach Kliff Kingsbury matched up against what I think might be the most overrated defensive scheme in college football in Arizona State.

I see the team from Lubbock having its way in this game. Texas Tech racked up 758 yards of total offense in its 69-17 rout of Stephen F. Austin last week, marking the 17th-consecutive game in which the Red Raiders have scored at least 25 points -- the longest active streak in the country. Be ready to see many Red Raiders take part in the offensive attack, seeing how they had 17 players with at least one catch last week.

ATS pick: Texas Tech 49, Arizona State 38

BYU Cougars (+3) at Utah Utes
Coughlin: The Holy War is back! It's interesting to see Utes coach Kyle Whittingham talk about the Cougars' new coach and his former assistant, Kalani Sitake: "There are few people in this profession I consider close friends, he's one of them. But I don't think it has any bearing on the game itself."

Don't be fooled by those kind words -- these two schools hate each other, and I know it seems the Utes are on the wrong side of this game, as they are looking to win six in a row in the series, but I just trust Whittingham in this situation, especially against a first-year coach. More importantly, I liked what I saw from the Utes last week, as junior quarterback Troy Williams was 20-of-35 for 272 yards and 2 touchdowns in his Utes debut, and junior running back Troy McCormick had 110 all-around yards after missing all of last season with a knee injury.

What also stood out from last week was the Utes were the only Power 5 conference team to post a shutout in their opener. Utes win a close one in what might be the best atmosphere of the whole weekend.

ATS pick: Utah 23, BYU 17

Early betting look for Week 2: Buy Alabama, sell Tennessee
Will Harris - Sep 6, 2016

Three top-10 teams lost in Week 1 when the Oklahoma Sooners, LSU Tigers and Notre Dame Fighting Irish all went down as favorites away from home. We'll check in on whether the oddsmakers still view this crowd as national contenders, as well as tell you which teams you should be buying and selling after Week 1. We'll also examine why the offenses might have the advantages in the upcoming TCU-Arkansas clash -- plus, we'll explain which embattled coach faces the pivotal game that will define his progress after three years of rebuilding.

Portfolio checkup
Buy
Alabama Crimson Tide: The Tide confirmed coaches' claims that this is the fastest defense of the Nick Saban era while answering some questions at several position groups. Inexperience in the offensive backfield and defensive depth are still issues, but the 52-6 thrashing of the USC Trojans showcased all-around big-play ability and the monster upside of frosh quarterback Jalen Hurts.

Stanford Cardinal: The Cardinal got great quarterback play against a tough Kansas State Wildcats defense in a 26-13 win, a sign that the Christian McCaffrey-led offense will be a 40-plus points-per-game operation this year.

Kansas State Wildcats: The youngest team of Bill Snyder 2.0, but much better skill position talent than last season and the best defense in the Big 12.

Western Michigan Broncos: Needed a bizarre goal-line turnover to squeak out a 23-22 win over Northwestern, but impressively controlled both sides of the line of scrimmage en route to a 27-15 first-down advantage. Best raw talent in the MAC.

Sell
Tennessee Volunteers: Heralded recruiting classes have ripened into seasoned brigades of upperclassmen, but the overall on-field operation is still prone to mental errors and lacking attention to detail. Overtime battle with Sun Belt entrant Appalachian State looked like a clash of equals. Regime change should follow disappointing campaign.

Hold
Michigan State Spartans: Uninspiring offensive performance is par for the course in September, and Furman is a tough out. Offense will improve as always and the defense can still take over a game. Don't knock Sparty's stock just because they were in a one-score game with five minutes to go -- that's practically standard for this bunch.

Games of interest
Cincinnati Bearcats (-6.5) at Purdue Boilermakers
Darrell Hazell is 6-30 in three seasons at Purdue, with more solo last-place division finishes than Big Ten wins. It remains to be seen exactly how much progress the undeniably improved Boilers will show in 2016, but be assured that what we have this week is a hungry team and a defining game.

Cincinnati is Purdue's marquee nonconference game this year, and to the Boilers it must look like a fair fight one after two losses to Notre Dame and one to Virginia Tech in the matchup that occupied that spot the past three Septembers. With the rest of the month consisting of an FCS team, a Mountain West also-ran and an open date, this is the game this team has pointed toward all offseason. It's also a ready measuring stick for Hazell's progress, since he debuted in 2013 with a 42-7 road loss to the Bearcats. Win this one, and this staff's process, plan and promises of better days ahead gain major credibility with the fan base, administration and players alike. Lose big, and it starts getting really hard to keep anybody bought in.

Cincinnati could be ripe for the picking, as the Cats did not impress in a 28-7 opening win over Tennessee-Martin and are still trying to find themselves on offense after losing the top six receivers from a pass-first 2015 attack.

Arkansas Razorbacks at TCU (-7.5)
The Frogs allowed 461 yards in a 59-41 win over South Dakota State that was a four-point game with nine minutes to play. Arkansas was down six with seven minutes remaining and couldn't crack 300 yards in a 21-20 nailbiter over Louisiana Tech. Both the Arkansas offense and TCU defense are better than they looked in their openers, but that side of the ball provides an advantage to the Razorbacks, as the TCU defense is built to stop Big 12 offenses and doesn't see many downhill rushing teams in that league. The Frogs have their own offensive edge, as quarterback Kenny Hill is familiar with the Arkansas defense from piloting a 35-28 win over the Hogs as the Texas A&M signal-caller back in 2014. Arkansas has won 30 of the past 33 meetings between these former Southwest Conference rivals, the last in 1991.

Movers and shakers
The prices quoted are prior to Monday night's Ole Miss-Florida State game, but the rest of the weekend provided plenty of shake-up in the futures market. The main theme: The upset winners saw big moves, but a setback in the lid-lifter isn't dropping the odds on the losers as much as you might think.

Houston entered the season at 80-1 on the Westgate board and Texas was 100-1. Now both are a mere 20-1. Wisconsin plunged from 200-1 to 60-1.

The three favorites the above trio took down saw their prices slip a bit, but the modest moves clearly reflect the belief that one loss doesn't take top teams out of the running. Oklahoma slid from 12-1 to 20-1, Notre Dame from 20-1 to 30-1 and LSU from 8-1 to 15-1.

Favorites logging big wins didn't move much. Stanford and Georgia each saw their prices rise from 25-1 to 30-1 despite quality wins.

TEAM LAST WEEK CURRENT
Alabama 6-1 5-1
Clemson 7-1 6-1
Ohio State 8-1 6-1
Michigan 8-1 8-1
Washington 30-1 30-1

Chalk bits

We write a lot about bad favorites in this space. Teams unaccustomed to laying points often fail in that role, as Vandy and Wake Forest backers were reminded Thursday. This week's poster child is Army, laying nine points to Rice. The Cadets are just 8-17 ATS when giving weight the past decade.

Alabama is now 7-0 under Nick Saban in neutral-site season openers, winning by an average of 23 points. The trend under Saban in the following game is just as stark -- 0-5 ATS in game two after a neutral-site opener (the sixth was halted early due to weather) with some real duds. History says this week's matchup with Western Kentucky will be the Tide's sloppiest game of the year.

Another coach in a historically poor spot is West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen. His Mountaineers have played one FCS team in each of his five prior seasons, and they are 1-4 ATS in those matchups. Youngstown State has played an FBS team each year in that span, covering four of five with one outright win.

Louisville is at Syracuse on Friday night, and the Cardinals have been ATS road warriors the past several seasons, covering 27 of their past 38 road games and 20 of 26 against a team with a winning home record.

One of the reasons East Carolina traded in the capable Ruffin McNeill after six seasons was the search for better results against better teams. The Pirates have covered just a third of their past 28 games against teams with winning records.

Steele must have watched a different Cal/Hawaii game than I did. To say they were "impressive" is quite a stretch. Hawaii was essentially -4 in TO if you count the onside kick blunder as a TO and they lost by 20 with an equal ypp to Cal. The same Hawaii team (sure, jet lagged and body clocked something fierce) that just got beat by 60 with a 5+ ypp disparity and were miserably inefficient.

Steele must have watched a different Cal/Hawaii game than I did. To say they were "impressive" is quite a stretch. Hawaii was essentially -4 in TO if you count the onside kick blunder as a TO and they lost by 20 with an equal ypp to Cal. The same Hawaii team (sure, jet lagged and body clocked something fierce) that just got beat by 60 with a 5+ ypp disparity and were miserably inefficient.

I thought Cal's run defense was horrible and I shutter to think what a team that is good at running the ball could do to them.

I chuckled when i read that too.

I assume his week 1 went bad since i don't see him referencing it .....

I thought Cal's run defense was horrible and I shutter to think what a team that is good at running the ball could do to them.

You will get to see them give up 300+ on the ground this week and another monster number next week

Ditto on Steele and Cal. Until they learn to tackle no way I ride that team or anything close to it. Giving up almost 500 yards to Hawaii is abysmal.

Rocky Long's one shot at a P-5 team this season. Expect SDSU to play very well.

Back