Dungy quits, Caldwell in...

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
According to ProFootballTalk.com:

DUNGY OUT, CALDWELL IN

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2008, 2:09 p.m.
A league source tells us that Colts coach Tony Dungy will step down, and that assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell will take the reins.​
More to come.​

good post smoke, but the source makes me kinda iffy because i remember them breaking a story earlier in the season that couldn't of been farther from the truth. I will wait and see if espn relinquishes the same information.

Yeah, I generally wait until it's more than just a rumor to get all excited, but there's absolutely smoke on this one (no pun intended, Smoke).

We talked about it immediately after that SD loss, that this might be it and I could see it being the end of the road for him. If so, I don't think it was ever a question of whether or not he'd be replaced from within.

Pro Football talk is just a terrible website. They start rumors just to get attention (although this one does have legs)

And he denies it on ESPN.com...

my fault for spreading unsubstantiated rumors!!

Dungy denies report that he's stepping down as Colts coach

ESPN.com news services

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy denied an Internet report on Profootballtalk.com that he has decided he will step down and be succeeded by assistant Jim Caldwell, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Wednesday.

Dungy laughed at the speculation.

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline --><!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) --> "Believe it or not, I'm going to go through the process just like I said I would," Dungy told Mortensen. "[Owner] Jim Irsay and I, along with [team president] Bill Polian, have have been talking about this for the last couple of days in Indianapolis. Jim wants me to open the new stadium. I'm not opposed to it, my wife it not opposed to it. I'm going to go through this process to make sure that I should do it.

"My wife and I will continue to discuss it and pray about it," he said. "We should have some type of decision by Saturday or Sunday. The first person outside my family that will know about it is Jim Irsay on Monday morning, and nobody else will know about it before Jim."

Dungy added: "It's amazing that people don't want to believe what I said all along, that I would take this week to make my decision."

Irsay has said that he will do whatever it takes to keep Dungy on the sideline.
<!--ap from here down-->
"Tony knows how much I want him to stay," Irsay said after Sunday's 28-24 playoff loss to the San Diego Chargers. "We'll sit down and talk this week and beyond this week. He needed to be down in Tampa some in the offseason, taking care of his family. We can work around that.

"Anything that can make it easier, and have him come back and forth in the offseason or anything like that, I think that's possible," he said.

It's the third consecutive year Dungy has contemplated retirement, and he returned each of the previous two.

But he has frequently said he doesn't consider himself an NFL "lifer" and has often acknowledged he planned to leave the game by age 50. He turned 52 in October and has committed himself to many charitable causes off the field.

The debate heated up again recently after his 16-year-old son, Eric, reportedly enrolled at a Tampa high school after attending Park Tudor High School in Indianapolis the last two years, and he insists that another early playoff exit won't change his thought process.

Players, too, are uncertain about Dungy's plans.

Two-time league MVP Peyton Manning said he didn't know what to expect at Monday's annual end-of-the-season meeting. He declined to reflect on what Dungy has meant to him and his career.

"It's hard for me to think about at this point," Manning said. "I'm not sure what we'll find out at that meeting. It's always disappointing, in general, and it's hard to think about that at this point."

Other players appeared to lobby for Dungy's return, although they understand why Dungy would retire.

Dungy has led the Colts to a league-record five consecutive 12-win seasons, five straight AFC South titles, two conference championship games and last year's Super Bowl title. And with all of Indy's key players, except tight end Dallas Clark, under contract for next season, it doesn't appear there will be much regression.

Still, they realize Dungy must make a decision he's comfortable with.

"I have more respect for him than any other coach," said kicker Adam Vinatieri, who owns four Super Bowl rings. "Selfishly, I'd like to have him back. If he goes, I'll give him a hug and wish him well."

Dungy is 127-65 in 12 seasons as a head coach, finishing his six-year career in Tampa Bay as the franchise's winningest coach. He's the only Colts coach to get double-digit victory totals and earn playoff berths in six straight seasons and he led the Buccaneers to the 1999 NFC Championship Game.

If Dungy leaves, his successor may already be in place.

Caldwell has become a regular on the interview circuit, and Dungy and Manning have endorsed as a solid head coaching candidate. Caldwell recently met with the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens about their openings last week. Caldwell also interviewed with the Arizona Cardinals last year.

But if the Colts had their choice, Dungy would return for the 2008 season.
"This is nothing unusual," Irsay said. "He's been taking it year-to-year the past few years, so I hope he comes back."

Nah, it's cool Smoke. Hell, like I said, we were talking about this immediately after they lost.

I actually think he likely will retire, believe it or not. I sort of hope he doesn't though, both because he seems like such a good guy and because I, as a bettor, feel I have a pretty good handle on how that team plays under him.

Caldwell has taken his name out of consideration for the Falcons job.

All my friends in Indy are convinced he is retiring.

Caldwell isn't going anywhere, that already has been confirmed. And Peter King confirmed that whether Dungy retires next week or next year, the next head coach of the Colts will be Caldwell.

What a kick in the ass it would be if the Bucs let Gruden go and Dungy goes back to Tampa Bay and takes them to a Super Bowl..haha. Anything is possible since Dungy's son is going to school in the Tampa Bay area now.

Colts owner hopes Dungy will return, but Caldwell tapped as heir apparent

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->NEW YORK -- Assistant head coach Jim Caldwell would replace Tony Dungy if the Indianapolis Colts coach retires, team owner Jim Irsay said Thursday night.

Irsay hopes Dungy will return and expects to speak to him this weekend, the owner said at a party celebrating an exhibition of the Jack Kerouac "On The Road" manuscript he owns at The New York Public Library.

Irsay said he might be able to make accommodations for Dungy such as allowing him to attend his son's high school football games in Florida on Friday nights. But he has no doubt that Dungy's commitment will be "100 percent" if he continues coaching.

"That's the type of guy he is," Irsay said.

Otherwise, he said, "Jim Caldwell would be the guy."

The Colts, the Super Bowl champions last year, were 13-3 in the regular season before falling 28-24 to San Diego last week in their playoff opener.

Caldwell has been an assistant to Dungy the last seven years -- one in Tampa Bay and the last six with the Colts, where he has coached quarterback Peyton Manning. Caldwell filled in for Dungy for one game in 2005 following the death of Dungy's 18-year-old son, James.

Caldwell spent more than 20 years in college football, and his only head coaching experience came at Wake Forest. He spent eight seasons with the Demon Deacons and led them to a bowl game in 1999.

Caldwell turned 52 on Wednesday and has interviewed with the Baltimore Ravens, Atlanta Falcons and Arizona Cardinals for head coaching jobs over the past year.

Back