Drydene 400 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
DuraMAX Drydene 400 Race Preview and Pick

NASCAR Cup Series: DuraMAX Drydene 400
Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 3 p.m. ET (FS1) at Dover Motor Speedway in Dover, Delaware

Ross Chastain

Ross Chastain is having the season of his life.

Before last week's GEICO 500, he had already won one race.

After winning last week's race, he now has two wins on the season.

His is a tough act to follow. After his last victory, he didn't handle success well as he broke a streak of top-three finishes by suffering a 19th-placed finish at Richmond.

Whether he handles success better this Sunday is ultimately immaterial because we are trying to consider who will win the race.

It is really hard to win back-to-back races in NASCAR. Given this historical reality, we should exclude Chastain from our list of candidates to win.

Race Info

For this Sunday's race, drivers must complete a total of 400 laps.

There are, as has always been the case, three stages for this race.

Stage 1 consists in the first 120 laps.

Stage 2 terminates upon completion of the 250th lap.

Stage 3 requires drivers to complete 150 more laps.

As is the norm, an entry list has been posted for this race.

36 teams/drivers have filled 40 potential spots.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will compete in this race.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined via qualifying.

For this race, there will be a practice session that starts on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. ET

That ends at 11:05 a.m. ET, which is when qualifying is slated to begin.

Qualifying for this race will single-car, two laps, and two rounds.

Track Info

Some drivers have complained about the width of this track especially in its more critical areas.

Passing can be difficult, especially when the package facilitates higher speeds.

This track is a shorter one. It is a mile long.

So, in completing 400 laps, drivers will have accrued 400 miles.

Its length inspires its famous nickname: "The Monster Mile."

It has a concrete surface since 1995 before which its surface was asphalt.

The banking here is pretty nice. The turns are banked at 24 degrees while the straights are banked at a solid nine degrees.

Banking helps drivers corral momentum for their cars so that they run faster.

Driver I Dislike

After Denny Hamlin won the race at Richmond, people might have begun the expecting the Hamlin who was more dangerous even recently in prior segments of his career.

After his win, in his last races, he finished 28th, 35th, and 18th, respectively.

His history at Dover offers no hope of any turnaround because he so often performs poorly here.

In his last two races at Dover, he finished seventh most recently and 19th before that.

Given his current form and his history at this track, I strongly disagree with his being the fifth-most favored driver here.

There are absolutely better options out there.

My Guy

I like Kyle Larson to bounce back from a tough loss.

Last week, he looked poised to enter the lead and win the race when Erik Jones blocked his path and thus allowed Ross Chastain to pull off the win.

Larson is in a great spot this Sunday because he has the best recent history at this track.

He has three straight top-three finishes here: he finished second in his last try here, first before that, and third before that.

Best Bet: Kyle Larson Winner at +450 with Bovada

I will be looking for ways to bet on Harvick, Austin Dillon, and Custer this week. I will not bet against the Hendrick cars and maybe Truex.

I bet a little on Harvick to win at +1600 at Bovada and I may add more after practice and qualifying.

@captjohn67 currently Bovava does not have any Indy bets up only has odds to win the Inday 500.

DuraMAX Drydene 400 Race Preview and Pick

NASCAR Cup Series: DuraMAX Drydene 400
Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 3 p.m. ET (FS1) at Dover Motor Speedway in Dover, Delaware

Ross Chastain

Ross Chastain is having the season of his life.

Before last week's GEICO 500, he had already won one race.

After winning last week's race, he now has two wins on the season.

His is a tough act to follow. After his last victory, he didn't handle success well as he broke a streak of top-three finishes by suffering a 19th-placed finish at Richmond.

Whether he handles success better this Sunday is ultimately immaterial because we are trying to consider who will win the race.

It is really hard to win back-to-back races in NASCAR. Given this historical reality, we should exclude Chastain from our list of candidates to win.

Race Info

For this Sunday's race, drivers must complete a total of 400 laps.

There are, as has always been the case, three stages for this race.

Stage 1 consists in the first 120 laps.

Stage 2 terminates upon completion of the 250th lap.

Stage 3 requires drivers to complete 150 more laps.

As is the norm, an entry list has been posted for this race.

36 teams/drivers have filled 40 potential spots.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will compete in this race.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined via qualifying.

For this race, there will be a practice session that starts on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. ET

That ends at 11:05 a.m. ET, which is when qualifying is slated to begin.

Qualifying for this race will single-car, two laps, and two rounds.

Track Info

Some drivers have complained about the width of this track especially in its more critical areas.

Passing can be difficult, especially when the package facilitates higher speeds.

This track is a shorter one. It is a mile long.

So, in completing 400 laps, drivers will have accrued 400 miles.

Its length inspires its famous nickname: "The Monster Mile."

It has a concrete surface since 1995 before which its surface was asphalt.

The banking here is pretty nice. The turns are banked at 24 degrees while the straights are banked at a solid nine degrees.

Banking helps drivers corral momentum for their cars so that they run faster.

Driver I Dislike

After Denny Hamlin won the race at Richmond, people might have begun the expecting the Hamlin who was more dangerous even recently in prior segments of his career.

After his win, in his last races, he finished 28th, 35th, and 18th, respectively.

His history at Dover offers no hope of any turnaround because he so often performs poorly here.

In his last two races at Dover, he finished seventh most recently and 19th before that.

Given his current form and his history at this track, I strongly disagree with his being the fifth-most favored driver here.

There are absolutely better options out there.

My Guy

I like Kyle Larson to bounce back from a tough loss.

Last week, he looked poised to enter the lead and win the race when Erik Jones blocked his path and thus allowed Ross Chastain to pull off the win.

Larson is in a great spot this Sunday because he has the best recent history at this track.

He has three straight top-three finishes here: he finished second in his last try here, first before that, and third before that.

Best Bet: Kyle Larson Winner at +450 with Bovada
Also, Hamlin got in social media trouble after the Talladega race when he post a video and a tweet about Larson not being able to drive/wrecking people. This will be a distraction for him this week.

I played these at BAS for 1 until each:

Harvick -115 over Reddick
Austin Dillon +145 over Briscoe
Austin Dillon -105 over Kurt Busch
Custer -105 over Bubba
Custer -115 over Erik Jones

Played at Bovada:

1 unit:
Austin Dillon -110 over Kurt Busch

0.5 unit:
Austin Dillon to win Group D +290 over Suarez, Kurt Busch, & Keselowski

Harvick 7 straight top 6 finishes at Dover. Now he's not the same driver he was 2 years ago, but he should contend here. I'm seeing +240 to finish top 5.

Hendrick ran 1-4 here last year and probably are still the ones to beat, minus Byron, who crashed in practice and will have to go to the back being in a backup car.

I think Suarez is a good under the radar play this week, but the matchups I have are garbage and he's juice at least -170 on all.

I have a feeling this will be a one lane boring race with little passing, so you better be up close going to the last stage.

Harvick 7 straight top 6 finishes at Dover. Now he's not the same driver he was 2 years ago, but he should contend here. I'm seeing +240 to finish top 5.

Hendrick ran 1-4 here last year and probably are still the ones to beat, minus Byron, who crashed in practice and will have to go to the back being in a backup car.

I think Suarez is a good under the radar play this week, but the matchups I have are garbage and he's juice at least -170 on all.

I have a feeling this will be a one lane boring race with little passing, so you better be up close going to the last stage.
I think Byron may be good to bet in head-to-head bets. If passing is hard, he can do something different with pit stops to get near the front by the end, especially with the stages. I would not bet him against other Hendrick cars, but he is plus money against Kyle Busch, Truex, and Logano. Also, there is a comp caution at lap 40.

What are your thoughts on Truex? I planned on not betting against him, but now I don't think he will do well today. He always qualifies well here and usually finishes near the front, but he was mid-pack in practice and qualifying. In an interview yesterday when talking about NextGen car he said "I don't know we are the fastest car out there right now, but maybe we can find some stuff."

So far I have:

2 units:
Austin Dillon -105 & -110 over Kurt Busch (BAS & Bovada)

1 unit:
Harvick -115 over Reddick (BAS)
Harvick -101 over Truex (BM)
Austin Dillon +145 over Briscoe (BAS)
Custer -105 over Bubba (BAS)
Custer -115 over Erik Jones (BAS)
Dillon to finish on the lead lap -110 (Bovada)
Custer to finish on the lead lap +135 (Bovada)

0.5 unit:
Custer - Top 10 +300 (Bovada)
Austin Dillon to win Group D +290 over Suarez, Kurt Busch, & Keselowski (Bovada) This is now +350 due to Suarez being in this group and qualifying in the Top 10.
Larson to win Stage 1 +300 (Bovada)
Harvick Top Ford +500 (Bovada)

$25 Harvick to win at +1680 (Bovada & BM)

I may add to Harvick over Truex and I may add some Byron against non-Hendrick cars (comp caution helps him).

I think Byron may be good to bet in head-to-head bets. If passing is hard, he can do something different with pit stops to get near the front by the end, especially with the stages. I would not bet him against other Hendrick cars, but he is plus money against Kyle Busch, Truex, and Logano. Also, there is a comp caution at lap 40.

What are your thoughts on Truex? I planned on not betting against him, but now I don't think he will do well today. He always qualifies well here and usually finishes near the front, but he was mid-pack in practice and qualifying. In an interview yesterday when talking about NextGen car he said "I don't know we are the fastest car out there right now, but maybe we can find some stuff."

Truex is a tough read. This is certainly one if his best tracks, but he's been pretty meh this year. He hasn't really qualified well and been starting mid pack most weeks. He did qualify 2nd last week though. He's also made alot of mistakes with speeding violations on pit road.

Just my opinion buy I think it's taking the older drivers longer to adjust to the new car, especially the ones that don't race other disciplines. I'd throw Harvick in this as well.

I haven't played many matchups this year involving Truex. I'd probably be on Harvick though vs him.

I need to see a little more speed from him before I'd be playing him.

Truex is a tough read. This is certainly one if his best tracks, but he's been pretty meh this year. He hasn't really qualified well and been starting mid pack most weeks. He did qualify 2nd last week though. He's also made alot of mistakes with speeding violations on pit road.

Just my opinion buy I think it's taking the older drivers longer to adjust to the new car, especially the ones that don't race other disciplines. I'd throw Harvick in this as well.

I haven't played many matchups this year involving Truex. I'd probably be on Harvick though vs him.

I need to see a little more speed from him before I'd be playing him.
I may have missed the boat on Harvick over Truex, Harvick is up to -130 now at BM. I bet him at -101 this morning. I will wait and see where it goes. Harvick is -115 at Bovada so I could still play more there.

I added:

1 unit:
Byron +113 over Logano (BM)
Harvick -115 over Truex (Bovada) This is now a 2 unit play.

Kurt Busch to the rear

I bet another 0.5 unit on Austin Dillon +115 over Kurt Busch at Bovada.

Harvick over Truex was just bet up to Harvick -160 on BM and then they locked that matchup. I do not know what is going on.

Kurt Busch to the rear

I bet another 0.5 unit on Austin Dillon +115 over Kurt Busch at Bovada.

Harvick over Truex was just bet up to Harvick -160 on BM and then they locked that matchup. I do not know what is going on.
BM put it back up at Harvick -150 over Truex.

I have:

2.5 units:
Austin Dillon -105, -110, & +115 over Kurt Busch (BAS & Bovada)

2 units:
Harvick -101 & -115 over Truex (BM & Bovada)

1 unit:

0.5 unit:
Austin Dillon to win Group D +290 over Suarez, Kurt Busch, & Keselowski (Bovada) This is now +350 due to Suarez being in this group and qualifying in the Top 10.

With rain coming, I could not resist making Austin Dillon over Kurt Busch and Harvick over Truex top unit plays.
With Kurt Busch going to the back he will have less time to make up spots if the rain comes to shorten the race.
With Harvick starting in front of Truex, he has less time also.
Plus Bovada still has these stale lines, especially after the Kurt Busch news.

1 more unit on Harvick over Truex -115 (Bovada)
0.5 more on Austin Dillon +115 over Kurt Busch (Bovada)

I have:

3 units:

1 unit:

0.5 unit:

Last edited:
Truex. Lol. Running 3rd and wrecks on the last lap to finish 12th and behind Harvick.

I have:

3 units:

1 unit:

0.5 unit:

Dover:
+4.98 units

I wanna note that it appears that it is hard to impossible to pass in the Next-Gen car on concrete tracks (so far Martinsville and Dover). Bristol was on dirt the first time but will be on concrete the next race there. Anyway, I will not bet these tracks again before qualifying. Someone remind me if I forget.

Custer barely stayed on the lead lap, which I won.
Custer passed Bubba on one of the last few laps, which I won.
I won Harvick over Truex because Truex wrecked.
I won Dillon over Kurt Busch because Busch wrecked.
Logano wrecked, which I had Byron against him. I may have won this anyway.
Reddick wrecked, which I had Harvick against him. I may have won this anyway.

Those were my 6 wins.

I lost Harvick Top Ford by 0.4 seconds as Harvick finished one spot behind Buescher. That was the only one I lost that I could have won.

Very lucky day.

Back