Dodgers vs Rangers Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Rangers out in Full Force Against Dodgers

The Dodgers will try to sweep their two-game set tonight against Texas. The Rangers have been cold and the Dodgers hot, but tonight is the spot for both streaks to end.

Texas Rangers (27-42) at Los Angeles Dodgers (34-32)

MLB Pick: Texas

The Dodgers have won eight out of 10 whereas the Rangers have lost five in a row. Considered by itself, there is nothing essentially predictive in a streak. So while streaks can substantiate a lean that a bettor may already have, there is no reason that, just because Texas lost five in a row, they should lose a sixth. Tonight, Texas is a live dog. If it’s not too juiced, i’ll take the +1.5.

Cole Hamels (3-6, 3.86 ERA) has expressed that he wants to pitch for a contending team, so he’ll be motivated to use tonight’s start as a try-out. Hamels seems to be in bad form, but three of his last four starts came at home, where he’s been consistently worse. His home ERA is 4.91 compared to 2.55 on the road. His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) is 2.44 lower outside Texas.

In the first half of his career, Hamels was primarily a fastball pitcher, but his reliance on this pitch has steadily declined. Now, he relies on five different pitches with approximately equal frequency. His deviation from the fastball is crucial because it has lost the velocity and horizontal and vertical movement which it once possessed. For example, his last road opponent, the Angels, slugged 2.000 against his fastball, but mustered two runs in seven innings because he only threw it 13% of the time.

Four of Hamels’ five double-digit strikeout-per-nine-innings performances came away from home. His best whiff pitch is the change-up, which opponents are batting .184 against. Hamels features it especially against right-handed batters, so it’s a big reason why righties are batting .184 against him outside Texas. His last three road opponents are slugging .125 against it even though they rank above-average in slugging against the change-up from lefties. Two of those opponents, Cleveland and Houston, rank top-10 against his pitches thrown by southpaws and Houston had had a three-game win steak. Hamels, in his road streak, is superseding match-up difficulties. For example, in his first two road starts against Houston, he yielded two runs in 12 combined innings, but five runs in 7.1 innings against Houston at home.

Besides his change-up, Hamels’ curve and cutter have yielded only four extra-base hits in 468 attempts. He throws his fastball only 2.2% of the time with runners in scoring position because he has various quality pitches to rely on in crunch time. Hamels has proven capable of dominating a hot lineup that matches up well with him as long as he’s on the road.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kenta Maeda (4-4, 3.61 ERA) counters for LA’s injury-plagued pitching staff after having been injured since May 29. He participated in two bullpen sessions and, officially, feels well enough to return without a rehab assignment. But I suspect that he’s bypassing the rehab assignment because his team needs him so badly. Whether my suspicion checks out or not, Maeda’s history in returns from the DL is shaky. On April 13, for example, he yielded two earned runs in 2.2 innings. I can’t trust him tonight against anybody. Maeda is particularly vulnerable against lefties. So watch out for Shin-Soo Choo, who is slugging .571 in his past seven days. Jurickson Profar slugs .574 against lefties. Donate some flu medicine to Nomar Mazara so that he can join our cause.

Texas’ bullpen provides an additional advantage. In the last two weeks, their bullpen ranks third in FIP. While taking a beating last night, Texas was able to conserve important relievers. Jose Leclerc and Jake Diekman, for example, have yielded combined three runs since May 16.

The Rangers are yielding +4 units away from Texas and Hamels +2. They’ll continue contributing to your bankroll tonight.

Cole Hamels will start the finale and is 3-6 with a 3.86 ERA and 79 strikeouts this season. In his career, Hamels is 3-2 with a 1.89 ERA and 54 strikeouts against the Dodgers.
Kenta Maeda will start game two and is 4-4 with a 3.61 ERA and 68 strikeouts this season. This will be Maeda’s first career start against Texas.
Texas is 4-11 in Hamels’ last 15 starts and 0-4 in their last 4 games overall while the under is 7-1-1 in Hamels’ last 9 road starts. Los Angeles is 7-2 in their last 9 games overall and 17-6 in their last 23 interleague games while the over is 5-0 in their last 5 games overall. The under is 7-1 in the last 8 meetings between these two teams.

I don’t like Maeda much either. He was doing really good for us but got hurt like everyone else on our pitching staff.

Can’t argue against Hamels road splits.

Personally, I hate betting against streaks so if I had to play a side, it would be on Dodgers.

I took the Over 7.5 at -125 last night fwiw.

Small bet on Toronto in honor of the ump. May bet under low in honor of the ump.
Think I may have to bet Milwaukee in honor of reality

Barber in the Dodger game. With Hamel 13.2 innings 2.63 ERA. In the past when I have seen Hamels on 5 hit a good ump the effect seems magnified

In point of fact Barber is 5-1 over, I think that can be very helpful. Just an opinion but the people he faces may not handle it

Sad to say Maeda is fairly good on this rest and is using best catcher. On it first half as well as game

He wanted to do the second to first double play at first but figured he should go home then fucked up the throw

What a complete idiot. You'd think that a pitcher who sucks at pitching would at least have somewhat of a baseball instinct or IQ. Complete fucking dumbass

Oh well my article was officially published as a RL play for some reason but personally I took the loss today

Back