Dodgers vs Cardinals Preview Article (Monday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Just Another Manic Monday for Dodgers Against Red Hot Cardinals

The Dodgers host the Cardinals on Monday night on the MLB Network in a game with possible playoff implications. The Cardinals are finding their groove in the right time of year while the Dodgers are struggling to look like a playoff team.

St. Louis at Los Angeles Dodgers

MLB Pick: Cardinals

Rookie Austin Gomber (3-0, 2.89 ERA) has played an integral role in St. Louis’ recent success. He’s won his last two starts, conceding zero runs in 11 innings. He’s bounced back and forth between the bullpen and starting rotation, but the latter seems to suit him more because his numbers are stronger as a starter.

The southpaw Gomber throws his fastball half the time but also mixes in a slider and curveball with combined 38 percent frequency. He relies on his fastball in all scenarios, but also features his curveball with two strikes. Even though the fastball is his favorite pitch, he’s generally been struggling to prevent opponents from hitting it well, although it wasn’t too bad in his last outing. Given his recent success, his struggles with his fastball are a testament to the effectivity of his other pitches. When runners enter scoring position, he cuts down on his fastball usage, although opponents still have to respect the possibility that he’ll utilize it. Instead, he focuses on his curveball—especially to same-handed batters—and his slider. Opponents hit an astoundingly low .104 against the former and .214 against the latter. Opponents’ wOBA (weighted on base average; measures overall offensive production) is .155 against his curveball, whereas league average is .330. Gomber’s curveball carries the usual traits of a curveball—it creates a change of velocity that throws hitters off balance by averaging 15 mph fewer than his fastball and it changes the batter’s eye level after a high fastball by landing low. What makes it so unique is its negative horizontal movement and negative vertical movement. In other words, it doesn’t move towards an opposite-handed batter, which makes it effective against righties, while it still fools a same-handed batter who struggles to time his swing against the awkward movement and also struggles to perceive this pitch well because it comes from a same-handed pitcher and because it carries nice spin.

The Doyers rank below average in slugging against Gomber’s three pitches and none of them have faced Gomber’s unique curveball. The Dodgers are 0-3 in home series openers after the All-Star Break and are generally struggling for form, having lost six of their last eight. All Star Matt Kemp is struggling for form, only showing occasional glimpses of his former self. He’s batting .175 in August.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AReallyGoodBat?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#AReallyGoodBat</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/RealPaulDeJong?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@RealPaulDeJong</a> has reached base safely in 16 straight games, extending his career-best. DeJong collected 3+ RBI for the 5th time this season. <a href="https://t.co/CFzrxf4dWV">pic.twitter.com/CFzrxf4dWV</a></p>&mdash; St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) <a href=" ">19. August 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LA’s Alex Wood (7-6, 3.51 ERA) will try to stop his hot opponent. Wood dominated the Giants in his last outing as he usually does and was fortunate to pitch well despite a high FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) against an injury-ridden Houston lineup. Nonetheless, he is 0-1 in his last two outings because his lineup isn’t giving him sufficient run support. So even if he pitches as well on Monday, which I doubt, there’s still little reason to hope for LA.

The southpaw Wood relies on a sinker-slider-change combo. He relies on the sinker most and in all scenarios, except he features the slider with two strikes against righties and the change with two strikes against lefties. Opponents fare fairly well against his sinker, but bat under .230 against both his slider and change-up. His slider in unique with its negative vertical and horizontal movement and his change-up boasts strong arm-side movement. Both pitches are his favorites to induce ground balls with.

The Cardinals match up well with Wood, ranking seventh in slugging against his three pitches from lefties. In August, the Cards have gone from being one game above .500 to 12 games. Dating to July, they’ve won series against the Cubs, Rockies, Nats, and Brewers—all playoff contenders. Their scoring has been consistent, producing five runs in eight of their last 10 games. One loss was due to atrocious fielding, but the Cards have been better there, too. The bullpen has also improved since its new manager cleaned house, boasting the best ERA in August. Jordan Hicks has allowed three runs in his last 14 innings. They’ve won seven of their last eight games against southpaws. Wood yields an FIP over 4.00 against right-handed batters and the Cards boast plenty of those. Watch for Jose Martinez, who’s batting .462 in his past seven days. Harrison Bader is also rising onto the scene with a .357 August BA.

Good write up.

Was busy all weekend and didn’t watch much baseball let alone Doyers. Based on the box scores, bats looking better. Turner and Bellinger looking like last year finally.

BOL.

Cards should have put this one away early. Always bites you in the ass when you can’t get more than 5 innings from your starter.

Fucking lost Mets tonight by SF scoring their 2 runs on pop ups. First one tied the game and fell in due to the shift. Then in extras Mets almost got out of a jam until a pop up to shallow left with 2 outs. Rosario goes back to catch it and idiot Dominic Smith comes in from Left and runs into him and he drops it. Unreal. Fuck you Callaway for playing Smith in the OF

Teeing off on Jansen. I never understand why people throw high fastballs to Gyorko. He couldn't have asked for a better location same for Carp in fact

Jansen basically just throws that fb and most of the time it’s not hittable. That cutter is kind of like Mariano’s was. He’s prob rusty just coming off DL

Yeah I remember but when you said that I figured you got one lol

You got an IG? I’m dying rn listening this this video clip by Brittney Renner talking about her body count and telling women how dumb athletes are. She’s like none of them use condoms, so if you’re really trying to come up off a check just hook an athlete. Lol

I'm taking an ethics of sex and marriage course for my philosophy program

"And in emphasizing the communication of specific feelings by means of body language, the analysis under consideration narrows the end to one clearly extrinsic to plain and even good sex" lol. Ridiculous that such things get written about!

I'm taking an ethics of sex and marriage course for my philosophy program

"And in emphasizing the communication of specific feelings by means of body language, the analysis under consideration narrows the end to one clearly extrinsic to plain and even good sex" lol. Ridiculous that such things get written about!

Clearly that was written by a woman, bc that sounds like philosophical babble lol

Clearly that was written by a woman, bc that sounds like philosophical babble lol

Lol no by a guy. Thank God. If it were a woman it would be about sexual repression and the necessity of female liberation and the Animal Farm hypocrisy of the possibility of dominating men and garbage like that. Most philosophical babblers are men

Philosophy books, professors, whole thing is such trash

It's my philosophy, and it's correct to me...one of 5 Cs I got in college. Never went to that shit class...had others drop off my papers

End of semester dude hands me 21 graded papers after the final and said "looks like you weren't here much"....and I just said I was here, it was your perception of here that was off. C.

I get that philosophy can be seen as utterly lacking in real-world value and you don't need it. But I find that I can use it to add more meaning to things and I enjoy it

That asshole, 1st day we got the syllabus and asked how we knew we were in that classroom, how we knew the desk in front of us was real.

Um....checkout for KJ

I consider myself a deep thinker at times and rigidly astute at times, and a bunch in between. But don't take my education dollars and ask me to question whether I'm here. And get paid to "educate" me...and I come from a family who values higher learning. I learned more at happy hour and those were nickel drafts.

Maybe he framed the problem in a really asinine way. The distinction between perception and reality is pretty classic. An intro class won't get too deep with it and it's pretty easy to make fun of philosophy if you remain superficial with it. But reality can be a profound topic because it affects how you view and relate with everything outside of you.

I remember during one of my higher-level classes I got anxiety attacks that semester because I thought that my head could turn into a chicken.

Feel free to contribute to my Penn State discussion in the forum since you know the team at least as well as I do

To be honest. I’m 90% sure you know significantly more about them than I do. I don’t know anything specific about this years team, or even last years for that matter. The only thing I’ve really capped is/was NBA over the last two years. Everything else has been systems.

„Baseball is the only sport in the world when on offense, you don’t have the ball. So, when I’m on base, I’m thinking about how I’m going to get to the next base. These kids come up today and they’ve got all this confidence as hitters. But as they get on base, they’ve got the coaches telling them, ‘Don’t get picked off. Don’t make the first out at third base. Don’t get doubled off on a line drive.’ That’s the ‘how not-to.’ I’m the ‘how-to’ coach. You’ll never hear a negative come out of my mouth,” said Coleman.“

Back