Dodgers/Diamondbacks & Braves/Giants Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
MLB Parlay for Today at (+237) Includes Mighty Braves and Dodgers

Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Arizona Diamondbacks
Monday, September 12, 2022 at 9:40 p.m. ET at Chase Field in Arizona

Who Starts for the Dodgers?

Tyler Anderson starts for the Dodgers tonight.

Despite repeatedly being listed as the favored pitcher -- Anderson was listed as the underdog one time this season -- Anderson is his team's most profitable pitcher to back.

Overall, the Dodgers are yielding +11.3 units in his starts.

Pertinently to my favorite play for this game, Anderson is thriving against the teams that are most familiar with him, his division rivals.

Of course, Anderson probably benefits all the same from being familiar with fellow NL West clubs.

In his starts against these teams, L.A. is 8-2, yielding +4.9 units.

Anderson vs. Diamondback Batters

One might be skeptical of a pitcher who faces the same lineup multiple times in that lineups do tend to benefit from having recently faced a pitcher and then seeing that same pitcher again.

But this tendency has not hurt Anderson, who in his last start lasted seven innings and collected the win against a San Francisco squad that had faced him a month prior.

Moreover, Anderson has not faced the Diamondbacks since May.

Tellingly, he saw them twice in a two-week span and thrived both times.

On May 17, he allowed two runs in seven innings to Arizona before shutting out the same team over the course of six innings in Phoenix.

Good Spot for Anderson

Moreover, Anderson is in a strong spot.

He tends to buckle down and play with extra concentration after surrendering multiple home runs in his last start.

Surrendering multiple home runs will injure the pride of any pitcher, and Anderson responds accordingly.

After allowing two homers on May 12, he allowed two runs in seven innings in his first start of the season against Arizona.

Similarly, on May 23, he shut down the Nationals in eight innings of work after allowing two homers in his previous start.

So, expect an Anderson to be at his best who has proven to be reliably effective against Diamondback batters.

Who Starts for Arizona?

Ryne Nelson starts for Arizona tonight.

Nelson is a rookie who was called up on September 5 to make his MLB debut.

The thing to know about Nelson is that he loves his fastball.

As is common with younger pitchers, they have yet to develop much of a varied arsenal.

Similar to guys like Nick Pivetta, German Marquez, and others when they were younger, Nelson lacks another pitch that he's comfortable executing.

Dodger Batters' Outlook Today

This lack of variety will make him easier for any lineup to figure him out.

But the Dodgers won't need much time to get to Nelson because they are an excellent fastball-hitting team.

They rank third in slugging .492 against the fastball from righties.

Plus, they already enjoy superb hitting form.

In six of their last eight games, they've scored eight runs or more.

Atlanta Braves vs. San Francisco Giants
Monday, September 12, 2022 at 9:45 p.m. ET at Oracle Park in San Francisco

Who Starts for Atlanta?

Spencer Strider starts for the Braves tonight.

Atlanta has won the last five games in which Strider started.

Overall, he is now a profitable pitcher for bettors to back.

He has been especially strong as a favorite.

In games in which Strider is listed as the favored pitcher, Atlanta is 12-4, yielding +3.8 units.

Strider's individual quality largely explains Atlanta's especially recent success in games in which he starts.

He has allowed two runs or fewer in each of his last five games, despite facing teams that match up excellently against him on paper.

Slumping San Francisco

One might perceive San Francisco to be more reliable now for supposedly ending its ongoing slump.

After scoring three runs or fewer in five straight losses, the Giants hit Cub starter Marcus Stroman fairly hard.

But Stroman is primarily a ground ball-inducing pitcher.

Besides being simply much better than Stroman, Strider benefits from being a fly ball-inducing pitcher.

As measured by slugging rate, the Giants are vastly stronger against ground ball-inducing pitchers than fly ball-inducing ones.

Who Starts for San Francisco?

Alex Cobb starts for the Giants tonight.

Besides failing to match Strider in terms of form, Cobb is disadvantaged tonight matchup-wise.

Atlanta ranks fifth in slugging against his favorite pitches from righties.

Best Bet: Parlay Dodgers RL at -138 & Braves RL at -105 at +237 odds with BetOnline

I’m not sure if I agree with Nelson not developing other pitches at this point? He def leaned on his heater in his 1st start (which grades as pretty elite btw not exactly your run of the mill fastballs dodgers prob tee off on!) but his off speed offerings grade pretty strong by fangraphs, it could be he just didht need to show them as much in his 1st start cause the heater was working? I dunno where find pitch mix in minor league starts so I’m not sure if throwing the fastball 66% the time is his norm?

He clearly had no reason to throw more off speed against pads as he totally dominated them, just cause lad ranks high hitting fastballs I think a poor reason to think they hit his without ever seeing him as some guys heat is just different and it prob take them a at bat or 2 to adjust if his as good as advertised.

Has strider been a dog? Maybe one his 1st times starting? Lol. I find it strange giants were one of only 3 teams who have scored more than 2 off him as a starter cause they strike out a lot! Oddly enough he only fanned 4 the 1st time he faced them, this dude can fan 10+ any given start yet the high strike out giants roughed him up? That was still pretty early on in him becoming a starter so I’m give him a pass, I just found it curious. I’d think he fans a lot of guys tonight!

Cobb has been pitching pretty damn well himself, not gonna expect him to be bad tonight just cause he had a tough go vs lad last time out. I’m not sure Braves a bad matchup for him cause I think he will get a bunch of swings and misses with his splitter vs the free swinging Braves lineup. (Sadly I missed cobb ov 4.5 k’s, that was prob a lock, 5.5 not as much).

Braves are awesome tho and they been out west while giants coming back from central time zone the last few series so if you gonna do a rush job ya could do a lot worse than playing on 2 the better teams in baseball!! It pretty easy to find nice things to write about them! Lol

Back