Do we have any Wyoming experts or astute observers around these parts?

Do recall tho that D is very strong but gets gassed when Nico Evans isn‘t fit to run all over the opponent. Anemic pass attack but Evans is great at rb.

After covering in week 1 v NMSU as a favorite, Wyoming is 0-5 ATS v FBS since, all in the underdog role. The offense is the primary culprit as they can't stay on the field, under 30 percent 3rd down conversions. As VC mentions, their only viable threat on offense is their running back. Their pass offense is putrid, averaging under 5.5 YPA. Blame can be spread to not protecting the QB very well to no real downfield passing attack...and as most know, those 2 things often go hand in hand. QB Vander Waal is a pedestrian passer and doesn't run at all making him pretty much of a turd. Offense lives and dies w/RB Evans pretty much. One positive is they've only turned it over 5 times. Defense is pretty salty, allowing under 4 ypc and under 7 ypa in the pass game. Pass rush could be better and they don't turn you over much (8 times), but the defense is the strength of the team. A lot is made of their home field (highest altitude in FBS over 9,000 feet), but it's at its worst late in the year when the weather turns nasty and just getting to Laramie becomes a chore. (The SDSU Men's Basketball team can attest to this on multiple occasions). The altitude is somewhat mitigated by Wyoming's slow pace (around 75th percentile in pace of play). A lot of what my friend The Garfather likes to refer to as Donkey Ball occurs in Wyoming games...USU seems like a rough matchup this week. Poor weather would suit Wyoming.

After covering in week 1 v NMSU as a favorite, Wyoming is 0-5 ATS v FBS since, all in the underdog role. The offense is the primary culprit as they can't stay on the field, under 30 percent 3rd down conversions. As VC mentions, their only viable threat on offense is their running back. Their pass offense is putrid, averaging under 5.5 YPA. Blame can be spread to not protecting the QB very well to no real downfield passing attack...and as most know, those 2 things often go hand in hand. QB Vander Waal is a pedestrian passer and doesn't run at all making him pretty much of a turd. Offense lives and dies w/RB Evans pretty much. One positive is they've only turned it over 5 times. Defense is pretty salty, allowing under 4 ypc and under 7 ypa in the pass game. Pass rush could be better and they don't turn you over much (8 times), but the defense is the strength of the team. A lot is made of their home field (highest altitude in FBS over 9,000 feet), but it's at its worst late in the year when the weather turns nasty and just getting to Laramie becomes a chore. (The SDSU Men's Basketball team can attest to this on multiple occasions). The altitude is somewhat mitigated by Wyoming's slow pace (around 75th percentile in pace of play). A lot of what my friend The Garfather likes to refer to as Donkey Ball occurs in Wyoming games...USU seems like a rough matchup this week. Poor weather would suit Wyoming.

Beautiful ...

Horses covered all the bases very well, one thing Laramie is at 7200'-ish not over 9000. But yeah it doesn't mean much since many of their conference opponents are also at some height in the 4-5000' range.

Their D is capable of holding opposing offenses slightly below their averages, but at the same time everyone seems pretty capable of holding WYO below their O averages, the avgs just keep getting lower each week as the O gets more inept.

If they can get in field goal position they have a good K. Rothe has made his last 12 attempts dating back to last year and is 9-for-9 this season.

Here's fan message board, blog and news link if you want to see what they are saying:
https://www.wyonation.com/forum/
http://wyomingcowboysblog.com/
https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/

The fact that the D is holding opposing offenses slightly below their averages is a testament to their defense. The offense just doesn't give them a shot. Utah State rush defense certainly hasn't been bad.

I hate getting nailed on geography; nice call s--k and thanks for the additional kicker information.

Yeah. It's 7220 and they make sure to put that in the visiting locker rooms at War Memorial and the AA.

I rode a mechanical bull one night at a college bar in Laramie. Didn't do too well. Cool town. Very laid back, not very hyped up game day environment.

As good as Wyoming's kicker is he will be a distant #2 in this match up. Utah State has one of the best kickers in the country. Some say the best, and I agree he is either #1 or #1a just behind the Utah kicker.

Wyoming's defensive stats are roughly the same as Utah State's, but the big disparity is in scoring. Utah State is #2 in the country at 51.7, just behind Alabama and Wyoming is second from last at 15.4, just .3 ahead of Rutgers.

Wyoming
Wyoming is supposedly a state. Wyoming does not in fact exist, it is a distortion of space-time that only appears to exist. Anyone you've met who thinks they have been to Wyoming, or believes they have lived in Wyoming have had fake memories implanted by the U.S. government. This is because they cannot explain it, and it would cause a mass panic if the public knew the truth. If you attempt to drive into Wyoming you will wake up in Canada, naked, and with no memories. (This is how Canada gets new citizens).

Just wanted to chime in what I saw when Wyoming came down here to play Hawaii a few weeks ago..

As stated earlier, the offense is all about Nico Evans and his ability to be productive. Dude can pound the rock. Their passing game is nothing to be scared of though, as Vanderpump Rules (Vander Waal) doesn't scare anyone with his arm. I remember watching them play Hawaii and being worried about any play action or bootlegs because of how focused on stopping the run Hawaii was, but when they tried to execute them against us they sucked. Vander Waal doesn't have a monster arm nor does he have precision accuracy.

Their defense at times can do some decent things, it holds its end of the bargain as long as possible. Unfortunately that vanilla offense of theirs really hurts them after a while. I view the Fresno State game as a good example. The defense did the best they could and held Fresno State to 27 points...but oh look, that plain and simple offense could only generate 3 points to help out. I remember their defensive line did get pressure on our QB a decent amount. Not necessarily sacking him or hitting him a lot, but just getting some pressure on him when he'd try to get to his 2nd or 3rd reads. However, also maaaybe take that with a grain of salt as we were starting our rookie QB Cordeiro (McDonald out that game) and a part of it too was Rolovich was keeping the passing game quick and simple at times. We threw an INT to one of their defensive ends I think but it wasn't exactly due to the defensive line pressure. I believe it was a misread by our QB. The defensive end had dropped back into coverage and we simply didn't see him. His INT and runback actually is what put Wyoming in position for their lone touchdown in the game if I recall.

Hawaii won 17-13. I think if McDonald had played we easily score at least 24 in that game. That out that INT to help setup Wyoming's TD, and you could perhaps say our super NON-Baltimore Ravenesque defense held Wyoming to about 6 actual points. To say that about Hawaii's defense is pretty crazy lol.

Oh and the Wyoming head coach really seems like a douchebag. Apparently he was rather rude to our sideline reporter when he turned down her request for the usual halftime interview.

Wyoming
Wyoming is supposedly a state. Wyoming does not in fact exist, it is a distortion of space-time that only appears to exist. Anyone you've met who thinks they have been to Wyoming, or believes they have lived in Wyoming have had fake memories implanted by the U.S. government. This is because they cannot explain it, and it would cause a mass panic if the public knew the truth. If you attempt to drive into Wyoming you will wake up in Canada, naked, and with no memories. (This is how Canada gets new citizens).

Nah, Wyoming is real.

If you attempt to drive into Wyoming you will wake up in Canada, naked, and with no memories. (This is how Canada gets new citizens).

I thought Canada had a wall to keep people out? Should I get my information from urban dictionary or South Park? ;)

6a00e55214ffbe883401b8d15cfcf2970c-600wi

It is hard to not be a fan of how Utah State is playing this year. Can't see myself betting this game, but am interested to see how the USU O fares against WYO D. Turnovers would be the only way WYO can stay in this game. They got zero vs Boise and Fresno though. No reason to think the O will be better or effective this week.

After this game, Wyoming does have 4 winnable games upcoming so a bowl game isn't completely out of the question even with an upcoming loss this week.

Might be a little cold but otherwise looks ok weather wise most likely and it isn't like Utah State is a warm weather team

Thanks for all the thoughts in here.

It made me confirm my thoughts and get some help as well.

Good stuff gents.

Back