Do day/night splits actually matter?

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
For instance, [FONT=&quot]Marquez 0-3 with a 10.07 ERA in 3 night starts, but 3-0 with a 1.20 ERA in five day starts.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Thoughts? [/FONT]
:shake2:

Why? What makes that any different from days of the week or any other useless data mined info. How is it predictive?

Visually? Shadows? Bio-rhythms?

You could extrapolate it out to see if the night games were vs. better hitting clubs. Or if they were all away games etc.
Day/night isn't as far fetched to me as "they are 2-29 on Wednesdays after the starting pitcher went out in the first inning due to a mosquito bite".

I think you have to ask yourself, if the guy has 10+ ERA at night are you going to put your money on him next time he's under the lights?

Visually? Shadows? Bio-rhythms?

You could extrapolate it out to see if the night games were vs. better hitting clubs. Or if they were all away games etc.
Day/night isn't as far fetched to me as "they are 2-29 on Wednesdays after the starting pitcher went out in the first inning due to a mosquito bite".

I think you have to ask yourself, if the guy has 10+ ERA at night are you going to put your money on him next time he's under the lights?

In other words, you agree that it's not predictive.

As for the 10+ ERA guy I probably wouldn't even know that's what his ERA was, there are multiple far better ways to rate pitchers. Assuming I did though I'd be most likely to bet the over in some fashion :)

I think 6 starts is too small a sample size

but circadian rhythms definitely play a part in performance, and especially for a profession where you hear so much about players timing their peak performance for evening/early night based on their usual sleep cycle etc., it's bound to effect performance when its earlier in the day

Imo, they should be factored in to your capping. Now there could be other reasons why a pitcher sucks in the day... for example the ball flies more during the day at his ball park. Skipping a play is not the end of the world.

Thanks for the great info guys (by all means keep it coming). And thanks also to nbafan for pointing out how small Marquez's sample size was, so I stuck to a decent play on Marquez yesterday--some money is better than none!

Back