Dixie Vodka 400 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Top Betting Pick For Sunday's NASCAR Cup Series Race

NASCAR Cup Series at Homestead-Miami Speedway
Sunday, June 14, 2020 at 3:30 p.m. (FOX) at Homestead-Miami Speedway in Homestead, Florida

Slow Return To Normal

Sunday’s racing event will be modestly special in one respect.

NASCAR announced that it wants to gradually reintroduce live spectators to its racetracks.

For the first time since the COVID-19-inspired break, a limited number of guests will behold the action in the stands on Sunday.

1,000 members of the military, all of whom are based in South Florida, will serve as live spectators.

Race Info

The Dixie Vodka 400 is so-called because, in completing 267 laps, drivers will have accumulated 400.5 miles.

Pit selection will be determined by the results of the last race, which happened on Wednesday.

But starting position has yet to be determined — as of Wednesday night, that is. It will be established by random draw.

Given the length of the race, though, i’m not really concerned by starting position as I foresee drivers enjoying more than sufficient time to make up for an inauspicious starting position.

Track Info

Homestead-Miami speedway underwent multiple changes in order to become the more race-worthy and more entertaining race track that it is today.

Its width measures at 55 degrees. The track is 1.5-miles long, thus creating a significant difference from Wednesday’s track.

One change that is proudly recorded in the racetrack’s history is the higher banking.

Both banks were elevated to 18-20 degrees to encourage speed as the drivers navigate the turns — which have been widened — in order to collect momentum for the ensuing straightaway.

Granted, we’ve seen more highly elevated banks.

A key feature of this track, one which I also want to highlight in order to explain my betting pick, is its abrasive surface.

With its peculiar asphalt material, this racetrack is known for having one of the most abrasive surfaces on the NASCAR circuit.

This abrasiveness injects an additional element of importance to the race’s progression.

Drivers will have to keep their tires fresh as the race enters its waning stages. They will also need to implement effective tire management.

The drivers who are most likely to succeed on Sunday will absolutely include those who positively account, in these ways, for the track’s abrasive material.

My Betting Pick

I like Harvick for two major reasons.

Track Surface

Stronger drivers turn bad things into positive things. While an abrasive track surface surely bothers some, Harvick knows how to take advantage.

Multiple times in 2020, we’ve already gotten to see how Harvick handles rougher racing surfaces.

Atlanta has a reputation for having a very abrasive surface. On June 7, Harvick won that race.

Darlington, also, possesses a reputation for having an abrasive surface (although it is not quite as abrasive as Atlanta or Homestead-Miami).

In two events there, both in May, Harvick won and finished third, respectively.

So, Harvick must be thrilled to encounter Sunday’s abrasive racing surface.

History

The second major reason why I favor Harvick on Sunday is his race history at Homestead-Miami speedway.

Of all active full-time drivers, Harvick has the best history at this track based on average finishing position.

He averages a 6.42 finishing position. In 19 races here, he has one win and 11 top-five finishes.

Only Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch have more career wins at the track. Busch has also laid some clunkers and Hamlin hasn’t earned a top-five finish at Homestead-Miami since 2013.

Conversely, Harvick has accrued six consecutive top-five finishes at Homestead-Miami.

The Verdict

Given his proven ability to navigate difficult racing surfaces and his positive history at this racing track, Kevin Harvick looks like a winner.

Best Bet: Kevin Harvick To Win (odds TBA)

So far have locked in:

Blaney -130 over Bowman
Logano -118 over Keslowski

Few more I'm considering and may add Saturday night/Sunday morning. Will throw in this thread if I do.

Bonus pick: Took Briscoe -150 over Dale Jr. in the Xfinity race tomorrow afternoon. It's Dale Jr's one race of the year and he won't even get a few qualifying laps to test it out this year due to everything. Dale Jr. was never really great at this track. Briscoe is in good form and performs well here. People probably will jump at seeing Dale in there and want to bet him, but I expect Briscoe to win this matchup, and potentially the entire race.

Bonus pick: Took Briscoe -150 over Dale Jr. in the Xfinity race tomorrow afternoon. It's Dale Jr's one race of the year and he won't even get a few qualifying laps to test it out this year due to everything. Dale Jr. was never really great at this track. Briscoe is in good form and performs well here. People probably will jump at seeing Dale in there and want to bet him, but I expect Briscoe to win this matchup, and potentially the entire race.
Absolutely unreal. Can’t make it up

Not feeling great about my Blaney play today from earlier in the week. Adding:

Kyle Busch over Elliot -136
Reddick over Almirola -157 (loved this earlier in the week at -110 so of course its jumper significantly)
Dillon -132 over Bell
Custer -121 over Buescher
Hamlin -110 over Keslowski

Letting it fly today. GL everyone

Back