Divisional Play

smh212

Awesomeitus Degenerate
Playoffs:
Sides: 2-0 +2.00

MAC = Margin Against Close: Metric measures how a team performed against the closing number.
Teams entering the week with a MAC of -40> AND did not cover prior week: 16-9 ATS
Teams entering the week with a MAC of +40> AND covered prior week: 17-10 ATS
*ATS tracking starts in week 5, when enough data is available for system to run.

REGULAR SEASON FINAL TALLY: 32-18 ATS
POSTSEASON: 1-1 (both games were +40> Fades)

Wildcard Weekend candidates: MAC of -40>: NONE
Wildcard Weekend FADE candidates: MAC of +40>: NONE (Dallas is +58.5 over L4, but did not cover last week)

This week’s card presents a plethora of betting opportunities IMO. The primary reason being that all 8 teams playing this weekend have shown a level of consistency in their scheme and recent play, which helps reduce the likelihood of random results that spring up during the regular season. If you have been doing your homework all season, you should have a grasp on what each team is about, and be able to confidently weed through the media overload of analysis and coverage, and read between the lines. The time has come to back my opinions using the right betting tools, and letting the games play out. I have some strong opinions this week, but I’m ready to hedge my position with halftime and in-game betting, if what I see on the field is not what I had anticipated. As a handicapper, it really doesn’t get any better than this.

First, here are the ref assignments for this weekend, compliments of Football Zebra:

Ravens at Patriots
Bill Vinovich is the referee, who is in his 9th year and 6th as referee. This is his 6th postseason assignment (2 Wild Card Playoffs, 3 Divisional Playoffs, and 1 Conference Championship).
Yrs 2014 crew College Occupation
R 52 Bill Vinovich 10 San Diego accountant, former NFL officiating supervisor
U 49 Rich Hall 11 Hochuli Arizona custom cabinetry
HL 106 Wayne Mackie 8 Steratore Colgate director of operations, housing
LJ 108 Gary Arthur 18 Steratore Wright State president, commercial printing company
FJ 118 David Meslow 4 Blakeman Augsburg College marketing manager
SJ 21 Jeff Lamberth 13 Wrolstad Texas A&M attorney
BJ 112 Tony Steratore 15 Boger California (Pa.) co-owner, supply company

Replay official: Mike Wimmer
Replay assistant: Terry Poulos
Alternates:
Supervisor: Johnny Grier

Panthers at Seahawks
Terry McAulay is the referee, who is in his 17th year and 14th as referee. This is McAulay’s 15th postseason assignment (2 Wild Card Playoffs, 3 Divisional Playoffs, 7 Conference Championships, and Super Bowls XXXIX, XLIII, and last year’s XLVIII. His Super Bowl assignments were all as a referee. In a scheduling quirk, this is the third assignment of McAulay to the Seahawks in their last four playoff games
R 77 Terry McAulay 17 Louisiana State college officiating coordinator
U 96 Undrey Wash 15 Cheffers Texas-Arlington claims controller
HL 74 Derick Bowers 12 Parry East Central sales representative
LJ 9 Mark Perlman 14 Leavy Salem teacher
FJ 25 Bob Waggoner 18 Steratore Juniata College retired probation officer
SJ 73 Joe Larrew 13 Parry St Louis attorney
BJ 111 Terrence Miles 7 Anderson Arizona State quality control manager

Replay official: Earnie Frantz
Replay assistant: Brian Matoren
Alternates: R Craig Wrolstad, LJ Byron Boston, SJ Mike Weatherford

Sunday, Jan. 11
Cowboys at Packers

Gene Steratore is the referee, who is in his 12th year and 9th as referee. This is his 8th postseason assignment, including 2 Wild Card Playoffs, 4 Divisional Playoffs, and 2 Conference Championships.
R 114 Gene Steratore 12 Kent State co-owner, supply company
U 129 Bill Schuster 15 Coleman Alfred insurance broker
HL 8 Dana McKenzie 7 Morelli Toledo claims adjuster
LJ 59 Rusty Baynes 5 Vinovich Auburn-Montgomery general manager, safety services
FJ 43 Terry Brown 9 Boger Tennessee probation supervisor
SJ 97 Tom Hill 16 Allen Carson Newman teacher
BJ 30 Todd Prukop 6 Cheffers Cal State-Fullerton medical sales representative

Replay official: Bill Spyksma
Replay assistant: Terry Sullivan
Alternates: R Jeff Triplette, HL Jim Howey, FJ Dyrol Prioleau
Supervisor:Gary Slaughter

Colts at Broncos
Bill Leavy is the referee. This is his 20th year and 14th as referee. This is Leavy’s 16th postseason assignment, including 4 Wild Card Playoffs, 9 Divisional Playoffs, 1 Conference Championship, and Super Bowls XXXIV and XL. The first Super Bowl was as a back judge, the second was as a referee.
R 127 Bill Leavy 20 San Jose State retired firefighter
U 71 Ruben Fowler 9 Blakeman Huston-Tillotson retired firefighter
HL 48 Jim Mello 11 Allen Northeastern facilities manager
LJ 10 Julian Mapp 6 Parry Grambling State software QA tester
FJ 33 Steve Zimmer 18 Wrolstad Hofstra attorney
SJ 95 James Coleman 10 McAulay Arkansas electrical engineer
BJ 133 Steve Freeman 14 Triplette Mississippi State custom home builder

Replay official: Larry Nemmers
Replay assistant: Bill Tracy
Alternates: R Walt Coleman

Obviously the Terry McAulay / Seattle angle sticks out. McAulay has worked the last two Seattle playoff games:
2/2/14 – Super Bowl: 43-8 W vs DEN
1/19/14 – NFC Champ: 23-17 W vs SF
The thing about it, is that McAulay doesn’t really have any numbers either ATS or O/U that stick out. In addition, the crews in the playoffs are mixed, and McAulay will not have any of his crew members w/ him on Saturday. Still, Seattle’s job is a bit easier, since they are quite familiar with McAulay. It is worth noting that in last year’s Super Bowl, the Seahawks were flagged 10 times for 104 yards.

Offensive Line ratings per PFF of remaining 8 teams:

1. Dallas (1[SUP]st[/SUP] in NFL) #1 in run blocking
  2. Baltimore (3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in NFL)
  3. Green Bay (4[SUP]th[/SUP] in NFL) #1 in pass blocking
  4. Denver (10[SUP]th[/SUP] in NFL)
  5. Colts ( 17[SUP]th[/SUP] in NFL)
  6. Seahawks (19[SUP]th[/SUP] in NFL) 30[SUP]th[/SUP] in pass blocking, and no member of O-line finished season w/ + rating.
  7. Carolina (22[SUP]nd[/SUP] in NFL) – Severe issues on left side.
  8. New England (23[SUP]rd[/SUP] in NFL) 31[SUP]st[/SUP] in pass protection.

Situational Trends (League Wide Last 10 years)
Bye teams favored: 15-27 ATS
Playoff underdogs getting TD or more: 26-17 ATS

Baltimore @ New England -7 47.5

BALT:
Top rated pass rush per PFF (+73.6) next highest ranked team was +51.3. On season Balt avg 3.24 sacks/game. League avg 2.39. Over L8, Balt at 4.25 sacks/game (league avg over that span 2.5)

Over L8, Balt has allowed the fewest sack (7) in the NFL, for 0.88 avg/game. League avg is 2.39. On season, Balt was second in the NFL at 1.18 per game.

Over L8, Balt off avg 337.2/game . Only remaining playoff team w/ a lower number is NE (320.6).
L5 Balt Yardage Diff +46. Only playoff team w/ worse Diff is NE at -10.00 (Sea +210, Car +158, GB +132, Den +92)

Sign of caution: L8 games Baltimore has faced the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] easiest schedule. Over L5 they have played the 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] easiest schedule, but L5 Baltimore has 4[SUP]th[/SUP] highest RPI.

Baltimore in familiar territory:
Road playoff games w/ Harbaugh/Flacco Combo:
8-4 SU – Next most road wins, by any team during this timeframe is 4.
9-3 ATS – MAC +106

NEW ENGLAND:
Not a good bet in the playoffs recently: Patriots 3-10 ATS last 13 playoff games
Pats very good season, seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle due to WK 16 and WK 17 outputs, and a bye week. Pats +99 MAC best in the league in 2014. If we do not count WK 16 and 17, where the Pats were already in rest mode, the number goes to +120.5
Pats outperformed the closing number by more than 17 pts SEVEN times. No other team did this more than 4 times in 2014.
Pats offense finished 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in Pts/Play and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in Pts/Min Poss.
A lot of stats and talk focuses on the Pats O-line, but consider:
“The Patriots will have their most productive combination healthy and intact for the game against the Ravens. This is the group that displayed all of the keys discussed by Koppen, Brady, Solder and Connolly after coming together in Week 5 against the Bengals. It’s not a coincidence that Brady took off on that Sunday night in early October, nor is it surprising that the Pats ripped off seven straight wins as the unit of Solder, Connolly, rookie Bryan Stork, Ryan Wendell and Vollmer gained that familiarity, fine-tuned their communication and made plays. This is the most capable, most together group the Pats have and it gives them the best chance at success.” – Boston Globe

Conclusion:
Game is likely to come down to the ability for Baltimore to pressure Brady, and the ability for Baltimore to move the ball in the air against and underrated NE defense. There are questions regarding both teams ability to score points, as each team features a strength on defense that has the ability to disrupt the others strength on offense. For this reason, I’m siding with the UNDER. My numbers call for a NE victory. One set calls it 24-17 and one calls it 24-20. Thus, I’m playing NE on an open T, as I want to see where the markets go from here.

My play: UNDER 48 (1.25) and 2T Ne -1 and open (2)

Seattle/Carolina opinion to come.

Sea/Car

Thanks Tito.

SEA:
Seattle has covered and won 6 straight, outperforming the market by 55.5 pts.
Opponent combined power rating over that 6 game span 2.3 pts below the avg NFL team.
Over the last five games that defense has been on the field for an average of 52.6 snaps, below the NFL average of 64. A margin of 11.4 snaps over five games comes to 57, which means that they have shaved nearly a full game off of what most defenses face.
During the run Seattle faced Colin Kaepernick twice, Mark Sanchez, Drew Stanton and Ryan Lindley through those games.
Seattle when laying over TD at home: 5-9 ATS streak.
Seattle a 5 pt home field advantage.

CAR:
Yardage wise, Carolina has been right there w/ Seattle yardage wise over the past 6 games:

• Def yards per game allowed: Seattle #1(202.2), Carolina #2 (233.5)
  • Yard Diff last 6: Seattle #1 (+189.9), Carolina #2 (+155)
Cam Newton has never played in Seattle, L3 vs Seattle at home, offense produced a TOTAL of 19 pts.
Carolina Opp PR over L6 3.8 pts below the NFL avg. Only defeated 1 team with winning record over current run (Arizona last week w/ Lindley at QB).
Over L6, Seattle #1 in defense YPP (4.01) Caroline #2 (4.5)
Argument that Carolina D has been more impressive over last 6 than Seattle, as Carolina played two top offenses during that span in New Orleans (won 41-10) and Atlanta (won 34-3), BOTH ON ROAD.

Conclusion: Staring to see some 13’s pop up, and think it’s too high, however, I’m going to play this one a bit different as I don’t trust Carolina’s offense to pose a consistent threat during the game. At the same time, I think Carolina will be able to contain Seattle as well, but eventually I think Seattle puts some drives together and scores some points. If Seattle is able to build a two score lead, I don’t see Carolina coming back. That being said, I expect a competitive close to the vest 1[SUP]st[/SUP] half. Using that mindset, here is how I played this game:
UNDER 40 (1.25)
NO SCORE IN FIRST 7 MINS OF GAME (.75)
CAR/SEA MORE PTS SCORED IN THE 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] HALF (OT included) THAN THE FIRST HALF (.75)
CAROLINA +7, +105 (.75) 1[SUP]st[/SUP] HALF

Sunday

Dal @ GB -5.5 51

DAL:
Argument can be made that they should not have beaten Detroit
Murray on the decline since week 15: 3 out of last 4 weeks registered a negative grade per PFF. Only + grade against Skins.
Murray YPC L5: 3.7, 5.6, 2.6, 2.6, 5.0 (wash game), 3.9 (det)
Murray last 76 carries, averaged only 3.3 yards per carry - First 335 carries of the season, averaged 5.0 yards per carry.
Dallas YPR rank on season: 4[SUP]th[/SUP] (4.58 per rush) – League Avg 4.14
Dallas YPR rank L6: 16[SUP]th[/SUP] (4.11 per rush) – League Avg 4.18
Dallas ball control has masked suspect defense all season. Dallas D on field on avg 27:42/game. Second fewest in the NFL.
Dallas L6, 32[SUP]nd[/SUP] in NFL in Yards/Min Poss
Dallas defense ranked 25[SUP]th[/SUP] yds/play
Dallas not getting to QB: 28[SUP]th[/SUP] in Def Sack %
My numbers have Dallas lowest w/ the lowest PR of teams left in divisional rounds both over the L5 and L8. My numbers call them to be a dog against every team left in the playoffs.

GB:
GB highest PR over L6 and L8 according to my numbers.
Over L6, GB offense Top 5 in: FD (1), Rushing YDs (4), fewest Int’s (1), fewest punts (1), fewest times sacked (4), Yds/Game (2), Yds per rush (5), Yds per pass (5), Yds/play (3).
GB 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in league in Def Yds/Game over last 6. Team ranked 15[SUP]th[/SUP] in NFL on season.
Packers have outscored opponents 186-37 in the first half in L6 at home.

Conclusion: I could run out numbers for hours showing two teams going in opposite directions. I made the game GB -8.5. This time of year, we see a lot more public money than usual. Add that to the fact that Dallas is a public team, and it makes sense that Dallas will be receiving a lot of money. So, when you add a headline like “Rodgers has torn calf”, it makes sense that people are going to use that a reason back the Cowboys. “Rodgers won’t be able to move around in the pocket”. “Rodgers won’t be able to extend plays with his legs”. BULLSHIT. Troy Aikman sums it up best for me. When speaking about a calf injury he suffered in ’95 where doctors told him he would miss 2-3 weeks. Aikman missed one game missed one game before returning against the Eagles, didn’t miss a game the rest of the year, and led Dallas to the Super Bowl.
From the Mil Journal Sent: Aikman said he thought of that injury when he was broadcasting the Detroit game Week 17 when Rodgers hurt his calf for a second time, left the game and then returned after the Packers' first possession in the third quarter. Aikman said his injury was worse than the one Rodgers suffered.
"I think so, because it's hard to get up on your toes to throw," he said. "That's why when he (Rodgers) was in the tunnel getting up on his toes, that was a good sign. When I did mine, I could not get up on my toes. I couldn't do it."
So are we to believe that Rodgers calf got worse after the game, and with the extra week off? Really? I’m not buying it one bit.

GREEN BAY -5.5 (1.5)
Closing open NE T with GB pk (2)

Thanks Hunt.

Player Props:

DeMarco Murray UNDER 100.5 yards rushing (.5)
Eddie Lacey OVER 86.5 yards rushing (.5)

Had no intention of betting this game, but COLTS +360 is something I can't pass up.

COLTS +360 (1)

Back