Detroit Tigers aquire SS Renteria from Atlanta

orangemonk

Creep - Dee oh double gee
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3085675

DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers addressed one of their biggest needs Monday, acquiring shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Atlanta Braves for two prospects.

5602.jpg
Renteria

Renteria batted .332 in 124 games with the Braves this year, finishing with 12 homers and 57 RBIs. Detroit went into the offseason needing to add a shortstop after deciding to shift Carlos Guillen to first base.
The Tigers gave up right-hander Jair Jurrjens, who showed signs of promise last season, and minor league outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.
"We are excited to add an All-Star-caliber shortstop in Edgar Renteria to the Tigers organization," Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "Edgar is a quality player, proven winner and tremendous leader that solidifies our infield."

Theyre giving up a lot. But I think its a great trade for both teams

yea dont like to see jurrjens go, he showed some decent promise this year. Gorkys has a ton of speed, but in Detroits crowded outfield he wasnt going to see the majors anytime soon.

overall i am happy with the trade and think renteria will add a lot to this club

Renteria is awesome, I'm a lot disappointed to see him go for prospects. All the rumors have been about trading Renteria for a #3 pitcher. Can anyone give some info on these guys?

Apparently they're really good .. ranked 4th and 5th best in the Tigers organization before last season. Here's the braves press release:
Atlanta Braves Executive Vice President and General Manager Frank Wren announced today that the Braves and Detroit Tigers have completed a three-player trade, as the Braves acquired outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and right-handed pitcher Jair Jurrjens in exchange for shortstop Edgar Renteria and cash considerations. Hernandez (first is pronounced GOR-keys), who just turned 20 in September, is considered one of the top outfield prospects in all of baseball. He completed his first full professional season in 2007 and earned the Class-A Midwest League Most Valuable Player Award while leading West Michigan to the league championship. Hernandez paced the circuit with 54 stolen bases and batted .293 with 84 runs, 25 doubles, four home runs and 50 RBI in 124 games. He grounded into just two double plays in 533 plate appearances.
A Midwest League All-Star, Hernandez was voted by the MWL's managers as being the Most Exciting Player and the Fastest Baserunner in 2007. The strong-armed center fielder walked and scored a run in the World Team's 7-2 win in the 2007 MLB Futures Game in San Francisco on July 8.
Jurrjens, 21, was rated by Baseball America to be the Eastern League's sixth-best Major League prospect (third-best pitcher) this past season. In 2006, Baseball America rated him as the best control pitcher in the Tigers organization.
Jurrjens (pronounced JEYE-air JER-jens) went 7-5 with a 3.20 ERA in 19 starts at Class-AA Erie in 2007 before making his Major League debut with Detroit in August. He worked in seven games (all starts) for the Tigers, going 3-1 with a 4.70 ERA. In his last three minor league starts, Jurrjens went 3-0 with a 0.78 ERA, with 24 strikeouts and just one walk in 23.0 innings pitched. In 502.2 career minor league innings pitched (89 games/84 starts), Jurrjens has posted a 3.20 ERA with 404 strikeouts and just 121 walks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3085675

DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers addressed one of their biggest needs Monday, acquiring shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Atlanta Braves for two prospects.

5602.jpg
Renteria

Renteria batted .332 in 124 games with the Braves this year, finishing with 12 homers and 57 RBIs. Detroit went into the offseason needing to add a shortstop after deciding to shift Carlos Guillen to first base.
The Tigers gave up right-hander Jair Jurrjens, who showed signs of promise last season, and minor league outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.
"We are excited to add an All-Star-caliber shortstop in Edgar Renteria to the Tigers organization," Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "Edgar is a quality player, proven winner and tremendous leader that solidifies our infield."

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I liked Jurrjens when I saw him in AA. He's not going to be a future ace, but he should slot in nicely to someones 3/4 spot in the rotation.

Don't know much about Dorkys but he sounds good in that article...

All you Braves fans, get ready Jurrjens is going to burn out in ATL and Gorkys isn't all that he's been touted as.

this trade is just a rather sly attempt by Dombrowski to dump frontloaded talent for a solid SS to effectively move Guillen to 1B.

All you Braves fans, get ready Jurrjens is going to burn out in ATL and Gorkys isn't all that he's been touted as.

this trade is just a rather sly attempt by Dombrowski to dump frontloaded talent for a solid SS to effectively move Guillen to 1B.

Haha, you're probably right. The Braves don't have a good eye for talent. They're always getting burnt in trades. Beyond the players being traded, the Braves are also clearing salary to resign Teixeira and grab another pitcher.

I disagree kapital.

ATL, Hernandez is very raw and young, but has an extremely high ceiling. He is Detroit's # 2 prospect in the outfield behind Maybin. Will hit for average and has electrifying speed. Will be a very good player.

Jurrjens is a gamer, he has amazing poise for his age and a great deuce. Good location of fastballs, consistently in 93-94 range, but with Detroit's influx of minor pitching someone had to go. They got the number 1 high school pitcher in Rick Porcello and Andrew Mller, so Jurrjens was expendable. You will be happy with Jurrjens if he stays healthy, good kid and live arm. I think he can be a number 1 or 2 starter someday.

Trade is about even if the prospects pan out. Renteria has obviously proven he is one of the best SS in the game. GOod trade for Detroit in the present, ATL for future. I think Juujens can get a #3 or 4 spot in ATL rotation.

I disagree kapital.

ATL, Hernandez is very raw and young, but has an extremely high ceiling. He is Detroit's # 2 prospect in the outfield behind Maybin. Will hit for average and has electrifying speed. Will be a very good player.

Jurrjens is a gamer, he has amazing poise for his age and a great deuce. Good location of fastballs, consistently in 93-94 range, but with Detroit's influx of minor pitching someone had to go. They got the number 1 high school pitcher in Rick Porcello and Andrew Mller, so Jurrjens was expendable. You will be happy with Jurrjens if he stays healthy, good kid and live arm. I think he can be a number 1 or 2 starter someday.

Trade is about even if the prospects pan out. Renteria has obviously proven he is one of the best SS in the game. GOod trade for Detroit in the present, ATL for future. I think Juujens can get a #3 or 4 spot in ATL rotation.

Thanks Hunt, I've read a lot of stuff echoing what you're saying. If anything it's good for the Braves present also with Yunel Escobar definitely ready to play. I like it ... was definitely questioning it initially, but these guys seem to be the best you can do for a SS. A Tigers blog said thought they could have gotten Renteria for one of these guys: "I'm thrilled the Tigers got what was probably the best shortstop available, someone proficient with both the bat and the glove. But to give up one of their best minor league outfielders, along with a top pitching prospect seems like a rather high price at first glance. I could've seen trading either Hernandez or Jurrjens in such a deal. To see them both go is a bit of a surprise." So, that makes me feel good.

Dont know much about Gorkys but I watched Jurrjens several times last year and I really liked what I saw from him but I think the addition of Renteria is a tremendous pickup for the Tigers...That lineup will be just lethal

Should be a great lineup...If Sheffield stays healthy and Bonderman gets his head out of his ass Tigs got a shot.

Thanks Hunt, I've read a lot of stuff echoing what you're saying. If anything it's good for the Braves present also with Yunel Escobar definitely ready to play. I like it ... was definitely questioning it initially, but these guys seem to be the best you can do for a SS. A Tigers blog said thought they could have gotten Renteria for one of these guys: "I'm thrilled the Tigers got what was probably the best shortstop available, someone proficient with both the bat and the glove. But to give up one of their best minor league outfielders, along with a top pitching prospect seems like a rather high price at first glance. I could've seen trading either Hernandez or Jurrjens in such a deal. To see them both go is a bit of a surprise." So, that makes me feel good.

How many outfielders can the Tigers play man?

I mean cmon, Granderson is a 10 year player, easy. Magglio is good for another 4-5 and then you have Maybin, Clevelan, Thames and Perez. Where the hell are you supposed to play other talent?

Mark my words, Jurrjens will burn out in ATL, just like Ledezma did (granted not as quickly, but they'll make him throw too many innings and he'll get injured. MARK MY WORDS!)

How many outfielders can the Tigers play man?

I mean cmon, Granderson is a 10 year player, easy. Magglio is good for another 4-5 and then you have Maybin, Clevelan, Thames and Perez. Where the hell are you supposed to play other talent?

Mark my words, Jurrjens will burn out in ATL, just like Ledezma did (granted not as quickly, but they'll make him throw too many innings and he'll get injured. MARK MY WORDS!)
Jurrgens...solid pospect...had a nice 2 month stretch..tops..

we have to win now..bottom line..to take advantage of our current bats...

Love the trade...

good deal for the tigers.

as i said last nite in the a-rod thread...a couple upgrades away from a special season. this is one of them...upgrading 1B, that is, by moving Guillen over.

Back