Detroit at Atlanta Thoughts(Plus one play in the Association)

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
This is the fourth and final meeting of the regular season between Central Division rivals Detroit and Atlanta. Detroit has won the previous three matchups, two of them from the friendly confines of the Palace. This is a potential playoff preview as if the season ended today these teams would be ranked (2) vs (7) and meet in the first round. Detroit comes in off a trashing of the Charlotte Bobcats. The win was their 8th in a row and they have had plenty of contributions from the bench. The "zoo crew" has amassed 87 points in the last two games to help alleviate the starters minutes in comfortable victories. Atlanta is coming into the matchup off two losses in a row. They got blown out in Houston on Saturday night but are plenty rested for this game.

Detroit won the first matchup in what was the best game of the season series. It came down to Billups free throws in the waning seconds for Detroit to escape with the victory. The Hawks always seem to play Detroit tough in the palace and this was no exception. In the prior two meetings Detroit has won by 11 and 120 points respectively. This is the Hawks last chance before a potential playoff battle to get a win over Detroit. The similarities to Orlando last year are there. he Magic also couldn't get past Detroit in the regular season and had little to no confidence by the time the first round series rolled around.

The Hawks are a respectable 16-10 at home this season. They have historically been a very good home dog for us the past few years. Detroit is 17-9 on the road and already has big road wins at Orlando, Boston, Golden State and San Antonio this season. They know how to win on the road. The key in CAPPING this game is whether or not they ome to play. The bench has been huge lately and should be just fine tonight. Atlanta is a very athletic team that will give the starters trouble at times. Hamilton versus Johnson is always an intriguing matchup as those two have great battles. I personally will love seeing the Stons bench versus the athletic Hawks team overall.

So, who wants this game more? The Hawks in my opinion. Who, if they play their game will win by double digits? Detroit. Obviously. Atlanta still is a mediocore team that will only get better the rest of this season and into the future. The scary thing for Detroit chalk bettors is that this Atlanta team has shown up plenty of times this year and in recent seasons as a dog of 1-7 points or so and sprung the outright upset. Detroits focus is obviously key. This is the "trap" time of the NBA season and buyers beware. Many got burned with the LA Lakers heer at Phillip last week and even the Mavericks in Philly last night.

My recommendation:

Stay away from side. The number is holding steady. Don't like that.

Lean towards the over here.

Final

Detroit 100-97

GL with your wagers.

Two plays as well tonight:

New Orleans -5.5 -110 2 units

The Hornets have rightted the ship after the mini-losing streak. They had the incredible win out in the desert and then came back to handle Memphis. Chicago is off the six-game west coast swing. They have had two days to rest, as has New Orleans. Also looking at Miami on Thursday at the UC. Just a heads up. I think the Hornets excellent defense stifles this beat up Bulls team and they roll in second half.

GL

Detroit Over 181.5 -110 2 units

The Hamilton news has given tremendous value to this play. He didn't play in 2nd game of yeasr at Orlando and Detroit cleared 110. Plenty of offensive firepower here and less for JJ to worry bout if he doesn't play.

Last edited:
B.A.R. as if you were reading my thoughts on the Over and what you wrote on Atlanta, but I continued with the Atlanta on the Over here. Against Houston, Hawks made an impressive 0% from the three pointers, losing 16 - 32 on assists and none of the starters reached double figures. I just don't see any chance that Hawks will put such a display two nights in a row. I'm not saying they will reached 100 points, but 85 - 95 they will score.
On the other side, Detroit should score 90+ points and I believe they will win as well. Detroit didn't have any real challenge the last few games and have piece of cake games to come (untill the road trip). Today they are rested and focused, so even 100 - 105 points wouldn't surprise me.
I believe the score will be around 195 points give or take 5 points.

Wouldn't touch Bulls - Hornets game, so hope you will nail this one.

Best of luck on both picks (if you play the Over in Atlanta)!

Thanks TWEETS!

Divol,

excellent thoughts. I kina do want to play this over them ore and more I look at it but I just have been very average with totals this year. I usually kill'em in November then average out the rest of the year. This year has just been like kissing twitas sister in regards to totals..at best.

Still may, down to 185 over at Bookmaker.

Thanks for Detroit thoughts, definitely a stay away if line holds.
Might tail you on NO here
GL

GL on the over BAR!

Leaning towards the under myself but have not pulled the trigger yet because the 1st half is set at 93 at Pinny right now and I generally do not play under of the game when 1st half total is set more than half of the game total.

BTW, already locked in on Det at -4.5 (bought half) because I believe Detroit is starting to play like they are supposed to and should win this game, with couple of late fouls, they should be able to cover the spread.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080212/SPORTS0102/802120423/1004/SPORTS

Illness forces Pistons' Hamilton to miss practice
Joanne C. Gerstner / The Detroit News

ATLANTA -- Pistons guard Rip Hamilton missed Tuesday's morning shoot-around at Philips Arena due to a gastrointestinal illness believed to be food poisoning.

Hamilton is in Atlanta, and the Pistons will re-evaluate his condition before Tuesday night's 7 p.m. game against the Hawks.

The Pistons play again Wednesday night at home against Indiana, and then Hamilton is to play in Sunday's All-Star Game at New Orleans.

Great find Red.

You beat me to my own local paper.

That changes a lot because Rip gets off to fast starts against Atlanta very often.

If he cannot go I would expect Afflalo to start. He has been solid in his appearances for the Ripster so far this year.

This explains some of the movement and non-movement then.

BAR, mrs.redbearde figures on pistons win 102-89. While I'm not too keen on laying road chalk here...unless it gets stupid low (it's already down to -4.5 -105 at MB), I won't be playing it, but I'm giving serious thought to the Over...

I don't like losing one of the best shooters in the league in Rip (safer to assume he's out), but that's a spot the stones a shit-ton of depth in - I don't find that particularly scary.

LeBron Crowns Stons and C's as Trashtalkers

LeBron: Pistons, Celtics tops at 'flying at the mouth'

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

LeBron James sees at least one similarity between the Pistons and Celtics -- they both talk a lot of trash, apparently.
"They're up there," the Cavaliers' star said. "You've got them and the Pistons. Those are the two teams that talk -- but they'll back it up."
He was asked if the talk was antagonistic.
<!--startclickprintexclude-->
<!-- OAS AD 'ArticleFlex_1' begin --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> <!-- OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); //--> </SCRIPT><!-- OAS AD 'ArticleFlex_1' end -->
<!--endclickprintexclude-->"In a competitive way, but sometimes it can get annoying," he said. "But they back it up. Detroit, we all know that they get flying at the mouth sometimes, but they play great basketball. The same with the Celtics. At times they can get flying with the mouth.
"That's not what I do. That's not what our team is about. But if you go out and win ballgames, you do what you want to do."
James was asked: The quietest team in the league?
"Utah," he said. "They just kick your (butt) and they don't say nothing."

As long Billup and Sheed are in the starting line up, I still believe Det will get it done against the Hawks. If Det is able to come out strong like they have been recently, look for a DD lead and may be a middling opportunity by halftime.

GL Gents!

LeBron: Pistons, Celtics tops at 'flying at the mouth'

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

LeBron James sees at least one similarity between the Pistons and Celtics -- they both talk a lot of trash, apparently.
"They're up there," the Cavaliers' star said. "You've got them and the Pistons. Those are the two teams that talk -- but they'll back it up."
He was asked if the talk was antagonistic.
<!--startclickprintexclude-->
<!-- OAS AD 'ArticleFlex_1' begin --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> <!-- OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); //--> </SCRIPT><!-- OAS AD 'ArticleFlex_1' end -->
<!--endclickprintexclude-->"In a competitive way, but sometimes it can get annoying," he said. "But they back it up. Detroit, we all know that they get flying at the mouth sometimes, but they play great basketball. The same with the Celtics. At times they can get flying with the mouth.
"That's not what I do. That's not what our team is about. But if you go out and win ballgames, you do what you want to do."
James was asked: The quietest team in the league?
"Utah," he said. "They just kick your (butt) and they don't say nothing."
All bron does is dunk and stare at his opponent. This kid cracks me up.

Wow, missed this one

Sticking around
How weird was this? The Nets had already notified Jason Collins that he had been traded to Memphis for Stromile Swift, but because the Nets' frontcourt was depleted, they needed him to stay with the team for an extra three days. He had to play in two more games with the Nets, even starting in one of them, after the trade was agreed to.
"This is very unique," coach Lawrence Frank said. "There are very few guys who would be able to handle the situation the way (Collins) did."
Had Collins gotten injured, the deal would have been nixed.
"I loved playing for the New Jersey Nets," Collins said. "You never want to let your teammates down."

Mike Finley read this board?

Super prediction
Check with the Spurs' Michael Finley before placing your next Super Bowl wager. The dude is psychic.
Last Sunday morning, after the Spurs' practice, Finley asked reporters which team was technically the home team in the Super Bowl -- which team would be wearing white. He was told it was the Giants.
"Then the Giants are going to win," he said. "I had a dream about the game and the team in white was celebrating when it was over."
Wait, it gets more eerie.
Finley said he actually had a vision of Plaxico Burress crying after the game. He said he got chills when he saw Burress cry during his postgame interview with Pam Oliver.
<!--endclickprintinclude--><!-- EDITORIAL: end body of the story -->

If Rip is out, the Over is in question again...

My main fear is that I haven't been on the Totals the past month and not sure that the touch is still there :)

Gents,

It's interesting how the news of Hamilton's food poisoning hasn't affect the line at all. It's steady at -5 at most places. I was hoping for it to move down to 4 so I can put more on D-Town. Any thought?

you don't think we'll see high 170s...?
I highly doubt it. If it does get there before I head out for the afternoon I will play more. I will be monitoring this for next 90 minutes or so.

Hitting refresh at two books every 5 minutes. LOL.

okay. I tagged 182 before it went up again. MB and pinny tend to indicate where shit is headed.

:shake:

Yup, back to 182 at Bookmaker

I may have tagged one right..LOL

Pinny is the indicator, no doubt.

Gents,

I know this is off topic but is there a reason why the total for the Bos/Ind game keeps rising even though Indy has many players out tonight?

Gents,

I know this is off topic but is there a reason why the total for the Bos/Ind game keeps rising even though Indy has many players out tonight?
This is what I have seen.

The referee numbers pretty much equal out

<TABLE class=tborder id=post739780 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid">Today, 02:10 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid" align=right> #16 <INPUT id=plist_739780 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 5px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; PADDING-TOP: 0px" type=checkbox value=0 name=plist[739780] inlineModID="inlineMod"> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 0px solid" width=175>CollegeKingRex<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_739780", true); </SCRIPT>
CTG Partner

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_739780 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->
icon1.gif

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Also any Nuba guys, I'm looking for insight to the Boston/Pacer total. I made it lower than they opened. A guy I really respect went over 200.5 this morning. It's now 203 everywhere except at CRIS (203.5). I want to go under but don't know the refs or the situations. Help would be welcome there...
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid">
user_online.gif
</TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->
progress.gif
<!-- / controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- post 739780 popup menu -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>CollegeKingRex</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>View Public Profile</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Send a private message to CollegeKingRex</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Find More Posts by CollegeKingRex</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Add CollegeKingRex to Your Buddy List</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- / post 739780 popup menu -->

Hotlanta here folks even with Rip in there if h plays. Stones play tomorrow night and too much of the public on Det and line moving the other way.

Don't follow nba real close, but isn't Atlanta a decent defensive team, as well, especially at home?

hey BAR

hope u middled that total in ATL

had to sweat it out but was worth it

186 U...181.5 O

oh yeah...big sloppy kiss to Affalo for shaving.....ah i mean...missing those 2 freebies

:)

Another great night for ya BAR. How bout tomorrow not making me sweat any games in the 4th quarter, eh?

Back