Daytona 500 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
2022 Daytona 500 Race Preview and Best Bet

Daytona 500
Sunday, February 20, 2022 at 2:30 p.m. ET (FOX) at Daytona International Speedway at Daytona Beach, Florida

Race Info

NASCAR's Cup Series will open this Sunday with arguably the biggest NASCAR event, the famous and prestigious Daytona 500.

For this racing competition, drivers must complete a total of 200 laps.

As is normally the case, there will be three stages.

Stage 1 consists in 65 laps. Stage 2 also requires 65 laps. Then, the final stage requires 70 laps.

40 Drivers

An entry list has been posted for this event.

There are 42 participants listed on the entry list. However, there are only 40 spots.

36 of the 42 drivers posted on the entry list have their spots secured in the race because they have a charter. The usual suspects, the well-known drivers find themselves in this list of 36.

Four more spots need to be filled. In order to determine which four other drivers without a charter will participate in this race, there will be an event on Wednesday and another on Thursday.

The four drivers will need to run a fast enough qualifying time on Wednesday or they'll have to race well enough on Thursday.

Practice Results

Two fifty-minute practice sessions have already taken place.

It's helpful to have already seen how drivers have performed in their cars on this track.

The one driver who finished top-five in both practice sessions was Chris Buescher.

Consistency is so important when we make NASCAR bets because it is tantamount to reliability. It is my favorite trait to identify when I look at each driver's history at a given venue.

Buescher's consistent high-quality, in my view, makes him an intriguing and reliable candidate to invest in.

Starting Lineup

The two fastest drivers in the second single-car qualifying race will start in the front row.

The rest of the starting order will get established on Thursday when two qualifying races take place.

There is so much time for the best drivers to assert themselves in this race.

I don't think that starting lineup is a really decisive factor to account for when placing bets.

Joey Logano, for example, has been blessed with great starting position in recent renditions of this race, but he has struggled to crack the top 10.

The converse is true for Denny Hamlin who has started in poor position but consistently finished strongly here.

Do watch the qualifiers -- on Wednesday at 8 p.m. on FS1 and on Thursday at 7 p.m. on FS1 and about 100 minutes later on FS1 -- in order to see the drivers perform in their cars on the track. But don't place undue emphasis on starting position.

Track Info

Daytona International Speedway is a long track. Each lap is 2.5-miles long.

It is known for its speed, which is accomplished by the length and the extremely high amount of banking.

The latter features allows drivers to corral more momentum for their cars as they navigate the banked surfaces.

To be exact, there are four turns and they are each banked at a ridiculous 31 degrees.

The tri-oval is banked at 18 degrees and the back straightaway is banked at two degrees.

My Favorite Bets

Taking Buescher at EVEN to finish top-10 seems like excellent value.

The big names -- guys like Hamlin and Logano -- are chalked so heavily to finish top-10, although not even they have looked as good as Buescher.

I also like Ryan Blaney to finish ahead of Logano.

While Logano has finished outside the top 20 in four of his last five races at Daytona, Blaney has finished top-six in three of his last four tries in Daytona.

Best Bet: Buescher Top 10 at EVEN with Bovada & Blaney to finish ahead of Logano at -115 with Bovada

Yeah, Buescher looked good. So did Blaney.

I am starting to regret my Kurt Busch over Keselowski bet already, but I bet it thinking Keselowski does not finish. Now I think he hangs around Buescher all day and Buescher seems to be able to stay out of trouble, which may keep Keselowski out of trouble. Plus he owns the car now so maybe finishing in one piece will be in the back of his mind when it was not there before.

This is such a tough race to bet. The attrition rate is so high. Some guys just ride around in the back until the last stage trying to avoid being in the "big one."

Throw in a new car that we don't know how will react in a huge draft pack and this is all a total crapshoot IMO. I'll probably stay away from H2Hs all together.

I've already played Haley +4000 and Dillon +2200 and that's likely it. We'll see how they look tonight and tomorrow and see if there's anything we can learn.

After watching the first duel, I am taking a shot on Buescher 30:1 in the second duel. Really hating my Kurt Busch verses Keselowski now.

Last edited:
Both of the cars that I pointed out in the other thread that looked the best in practice won, but for some reason, I bet against Keselowski in the 500. I wish I would have bet more on Buescher, I only bet $20.

Both of the cars that I pointed out in the other thread that looked the best in practice won, but for some reason, I bet against Keselowski in the 500. I wish I would have bet more on Buescher, I only bet $20.
I only threw $15 on him and $20 on Logano.

I have Haley and A. Dillon in the 500 from Sunday, but I'd be surprised now if a Ford doesn't win.

I only threw $15 on him and $20 on Logano.

I have Haley and A. Dillon in the 500 from Sunday, but I'd be surprised now if a Ford doesn't win.
Yeah, I have $20 on Haley.

The odds on the non-Stewart-Hass Fords will go down whenever they put them back up. The odds on Keselowski, Buescher, and Logano will probably be too low to bet. Maybe Buescher stays kinda low. Blaney and McDowell may be worth a look.

Yeah, I have $20 on Haley.

The odds on the non-Stewart-Hass Fords will go down whenever they put them back up. The odds on Keselowski, Buescher, and Logano will probably be too low to bet. Maybe Buescher stays kinda low. Blaney and McDowell may be worth a look.
Blaney would probably be my favorite to win right now.

Logano going to a backup car.

I still have some money from the 2020 election in my BetAnySports account. They have Buescher at +3500 and McDowell at +7000 right now. I bet $20 on Buescher and $10 on McDowell.

DK has their matchups back up. I bet out of my Kurt Busch bet, which was Kurt Busch -115 when I bet and is now Keselowski -115 now, so I lost 15% juice.

Keselowski -115 over Kurt Busch is a good bet based on practice and the duels.

So far my one dart is Cindric. Hope everyone stays on the ground and keeps their engine in their car and I hope all of you have a winning day. Obviously I’m excited about about the open wheelers in st Pete in a week. Love it that we’re back to racing. Nothin fancy but baked chicken and taters and mixed greens and of course the brews are already on ice. Woo hoo

So far my one dart is Cindric. Hope everyone stays on the ground and keeps their engine in their car and I hope all of you have a winning day. Obviously I’m excited about about the open wheelers in st Pete in a week. Love it that we’re back to racing. Nothin fancy but baked chicken and taters and mixed greens and of course the brews are already on ice. Woo hoo
You do F1? I enjoy it and Indy car much more than this but always find a way to keep Daytona on periodically

You do F1? I enjoy it and Indy car much more than this but always find a way to keep Daytona on periodically
Occasionally. Last year f1 was actually watchable at least from the standpoint of Hamilton actually having competition. But put me on record that he absolutely got fucked with the shenanigans in the last race. I’m not a Hamilton fan at all, but that was a damn joke imo.

Reactions: KJ
Occasionally. Last year f1 was actually watchable at least from the standpoint of Hamilton actually having competition. But put me on record that he absolutely got fucked with the shenanigans in the last race. I’m not a Hamilton fan at all, but that was a damn joke imo.
I love Louis and actually was on the phone w/my mother when that shit went down, even had her watching it lol

All she could say was he got fucked

And if anyone wants to sit on a grassy knoll at Barber on May 1st and sip on some moonshine with me come on. It’s always a good time and the car shows are always awesome.

I have:

0.5 unit:
Bubba -110 over Almirola

1 unit:
Bubba -115 over Bowman
Bubba -125 over Kurt Busch
Kyle Busch -115 over Kurt Busch
Buescher -115 over Almirola
Buescher -120 over Cindric
Gragson -115 over Grala
Bubba to win Group C on DK against Kurt Busch, Dillon, Bowman

2 units:
Keselowski -125 over Harvick

I ate some juice on Kurt Busch over Keselowski that I early betted and bet out of.

Gonna wait on Logano +100 over Hamlin to see if it will move to +money

$30 Buescher to win at +3500
$15 McDowell to win at +7000
$10 Haley to win at +5000

I like Buescher, McDowell, Keselowski, Bubba, Blaney, and Logano today. Basically all of the Fords except the Stewart Hass cars. Almirola is probably the best Stewart Hass car, but I am against him twice. Harvick was not good in practice and was talking bad about his car. Cindric has a good car but he scares me, wreckers or checkers. Burton looks good and is in the Wood Brothers car that usually does well in Daytona. Ford has the dominant car in the draft.

Bubba, Kyle, and Hamlin have the best Toyotas and are probably the only ones worth betting. As this race plays out the manufacturers will pit together under green in the last segment. There are just not enough Toyotas to do this and keep up with the groups of Chevys and Fords, but every year the Toyotas pit together by themselves. Also, there is something wrong with the Kurt Busch car. He was never good in practice and did not talk positively about his chances. He is a good fade. I faded him with Bubba and Kyle.

Chevy drivers are just overpriced in the matchups for me to bet them. I do like Gragson over Grala who is lucky to even be in the race.

I would probably not bet Bubba over Almirola today, it was an early bet for me but I am gonna let it ride. And Haley is probably a lost $10, which was another early bet.

I am betting 1/2 of what I would bet on a non-superspeedway track.

Last edited:
I like it. I sprinkled a bit on him yesterday. GL. I really think a Ford wins.

I have:

0.5 unit:
Bubba -110 over Almirola

1 unit:
Bubba -115 over Bowman
Bubba -125 over Kurt Busch
Kyle Busch -115 over Kurt Busch
Buescher -115 over Almirola
Buescher -120 over Cindric
Gragson -115 over Grala
Bubba to win Group C on DK against Kurt Busch, Dillon, Bowman

2 units:
Keselowski -125 over Harvick

I ate some juice on Kurt Busch over Keselowski that I early betted and bet out of.

Gonna wait on Logano +100 over Hamlin to see if it will move to +money

$30 Buescher to win at +3500
$15 McDowell to win at +7000
$10 Haley to win at +5000

I like Buescher, McDowell, Keselowski, Bubba, Blaney, and Logano today. Basically all of the Fords except the Stewart Hass cars. Almirola is probably the best Stewart Hass car, but I am against him twice. Harvick was not good in practice and was talking bad about his car. Cindric has a good car but he scares me, wreckers or checkers. Burton looks good and is in the Wood Brothers car that usually does well in Daytona. Ford has the dominant car in the draft.

Bubba, Kyle, and Hamlin have the best Toyotas and are probably the only ones worth betting. As this race plays out the manufacturers will pit together under green in the last segment. There are just not enough Toyotas to do this and keep up with the groups of Chevys and Fords, but every year the Toyotas pit together by themselves. Also, there is something wrong with the Kurt Busch car. He was never good in practice and did not talk positively about his chances. He is a good fade. I faded him with Bubba and Kyle.

Chevy drivers are just overpriced in the matchups for me to bet them. I do like Gragson over Grala who is lucky to even be in the race.

I would probably not bet Bubba over Almirola today, it was an early bet for me but I am gonna let it ride. And Haley is probably a lost $10, which was another early bet.

I am betting 1/2 of what I would bet on a non-superspeedway track.
Hope you have a good one today. Personally I hate plate racing, its just running in a pack trying to avoid the big one until the last 5 or 10 laps. So I played very small as well.

I actually like your play on Haley. Its worth a small shot. Has a win a 7th and a 13th in his Cup starts and has ran very well in Xfinity here. I also made a small play as an outright winner. Like Harrison Burton as well.

Hope you have a good one today. Personally I hate plate racing, its just running in a pack trying to avoid the big one until the last 5 or 10 laps. So I played very small as well.

I actually like your play on Haley. Its worth a small shot. Has a win a 7th and a 13th in his Cup starts and has ran very well in Xfinity here. I also made a small play as an outright winner. Like Harrison Burton as well.
Yeah, it is great to watch and hard to bet. It is easier to play on Draft Kings, just stack the back of the pack starters and add a potential winner. I play 3 lineup max contests there.

Maxx summed up plate racing well. I've bailed on H2Hs today and just sprinkled some outright.

Justin Haley $15 +4000
Austin Dillon $20 +2500
Austin Cindric $20 +2800
Ryan Blaney $50 +1200

Ford Winning Manufacturer +175 $150

Was fortunate to get that number earlier on Ford as I'm seeing +130 now.

Yeah, it is great to watch and hard to bet. It is easier to play on Draft Kings, just stack the back of the pack starters and add a potential winner. I play 3 lineup max contests there.
I do the same on DK. Just try to pick which of the obvious plays is the best one to fade

Boom!!!

Nice one capt.
Betcha that chicken and taters is tasting scrumptious.

Maxx summed up plate racing well. I've bailed on H2Hs today and just sprinkled some outright.

Justin Haley $15 +4000
Austin Dillon $20 +2500
Austin Cindric $20 +2800
Ryan Blaney $50 +1200

Ford Winning Manufacturer +175 $150

Was fortunate to get that number earlier on Ford as I'm seeing +130 now.
Nice day, only risking $280 and hitting Cindric and the Ford bet

I try to like Bubba, but after he milked the fake noose incident for every social justice/racial dollar he could, it became much harder. He finished second, no one ran "illegal" wheels tonight. Nascar car took the wheels in question on Friday to inspect them. Everyone is cheating with "illegal" parts, pushing the edge of the gray areas. Take your P2 and be happy.

And Nascar will likely penalize Penske and RKR this week and Bubba will tweet something else and most of his followers will think he was cheated out of a win.

Last edited:
I try to like Bubba, but after he milked the fake noose incident for every social justice/racial dollar he could, it became much harder. He finished second, no one ran "illegal" wheels tonight. Nascar car took the wheels in question on Friday to inspect them. Everyone is cheating with "illegal" parts, pushing the edge of the gray areas. Take your P2 and be happy.

And I assume that he is posting this because some were questioning if he went below the yellow line, which he did, but Nascar decided not to give him a penalty as it looked like he was forced below the line. Seems like the correct decision. No need to take jabs at someone's first Cup win and the team that your supposed best friend, Blaney, is a part of. It would be like one of the drivers coming out directly after Bubba's first win at Talledega last year and saying, yeah but it was a rain-shortened, put an asterisk beside it.

Last edited:
Back