Daily Cardinals Write-up

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Record: 1-2

Really tough loss to swallow yesterday. I can't believe that Matheny brought in Cecil to face those difficult Cubs lefties. Why not Siegrist? Why trust a pitcher who had such a horrible season last season in a tight game against the Champs? I think putting in Cecil was a bad decision by Matheny and I really think that we should have been able to hold onto that 4-1 lead. So I am in the negative here with my write-ups, but we move on...

The Reds bring on another rookie to the mound today to fill in the gap in their rotation opened by injuries. The Phillies knocked their last rookie pitcher out after three innings and I don't except Garrett to be of any higher quality. Nor do I expect the Reds' bullpen to be able to bring the same game-saving performance as against Philly in back to back games.

Garrett, however, one could argue, presents some match-up difficulties for the Cards. The Cards, last season, were one of the worst teams against left-handed pitchers, and Garrett is a southpaw. Last year, their OPS was .777 vs righties, but just .742 against lefties. This was the fourth-largest differential in the MLB. They have, however, taken steps to improve that. One player who really struggled against lefties was Matt Holliday. His OPS vs righties was .333 but vs lefties it was .297. He is happily gone from the team. Dexter Fowler is new to the team and last year he hit .293 BA vs lefties versus just .270 against righties. So the Cards have improved their lineup in preparation for southpaws. They are also not likely to see much quality in Garrett, as his manager decided to put even Davis before him in the rotation. So I think the Cards can hit Garrett.

Leake, however, raises some concerns of his own. He struggled in games against his former team, but he also had a down-year overall, along with most of the rest of the rotation, with a 4.69 ERA. Leake performed relatively well last year against lefties but righties hit him for over .300 and they're a large part of the Reds' success against him. In the past 5 years, the best ERA that Leake has mustered on opening day was 4.50. He is not one to start strong, regardless of the opposing lineup. Given the Reds' familiarity with Leake and Leake's struggles against right-handed batters and on opening day, I think the Reds can continue to enjoy success against him.

I hope to not see the worst parts of the Cards' bullpen today--Cecil, who just got shelled by the Cubs, and Broxton, who had played in the game before. And against an overworked Reds bullpen I hope that the Cardinals can actually enjoy an advantage in the latter part of the game. I think the Reds' disadvantage in the bullpen and in their rotation--especially if their starter gets knocked out of the game early again-- combined with the Cards' superior offensive talent (I don't think the Reds have much outside of Votto in the way of consistent hitting)--should suffice to overwhelm the Reds at home.

The Cardinals' price is expensive. I think that they finally get their offense going against a pitcher who is making his major league debut. I don't think it'll take the experienced Cards batters long to figure out Garrett. Laying such juice to back the Cards is imo not smart, not when Leake is on the mound. While Leake did have a relatively promising spring training, with a 3.81 ERA, his ERA in Spring Training was even better in 2016--and we know how that season ended up for him.

I am backing the Cardinals to win by -1.5. It may not make sense to do this given my unwillingness to lay the juice for them to win. But we are talking about value. I have the Cardinals ML in a parlay and I have them -1.5. I think with these plays we get the most bang for our buck.

meant to get in here earlier, but having not watched the game and only seeing the stat line i'm shocked that Price put Amir behind Davis in the rotation but he's also a complete idiot

Or maybe the Cards' offense is just that bad, and Garrett isn't that great? But yeah, man, really hard to cap pitchers never seen before, and batters with talent but whose bats still want to sleep. Smh

i just don't think there are serious threats in the lineup besides the occasional hanger or good guess that goes over the wall.

Like is Gyorko gonna hit 30+ again? He could, but that seems unlikely. As a pitcher, I'm not terrified of anyone in that lineup. Who cares if I'm pitching to Carpenter/Piscotty/Adams in the heart of that lineup? They are always gonna be solid thanks to Mozeliak (sp?) and the front office, which will lead to a record above .500, but I don't think they can be expected to beat the better teams in the league very often and it sucks that they have to play the best one in the league 19x a year

St Louis is just a or were a gritty team that is well coach, they have the hitting just been asleep...It will come around but besides Martinez and hopefully watcha can step up, but this loss tonight hurt and I want my change back here fuck it-180...

If pitchers keep throwing fastballs to Gyorko, I think he can keep hitting a lot of homeruns, because he's really good at hitting that pitch.

The only one who has batted well for us is Grichuk in the bottom of the lineup. Perhaps I have overrated our lineup. Molina and Diaz are probably the only ones who can hit consistently. Piscotty is talented but impressively inconsistent. Fowler needs to come around. You have a point. The fact that we relied so much on the deepball last year probably masked an underlying concern with the consistency of our lineup. But hopefully Matheny at least stops putting in Peralta, the way that he used to always put in Rosenthal to lose games for us.

I feel like mentally we play bettee against the better teams, but yeah we have neither the firepower nor the consistent pitching of the Cubs. And we play down tö the teams we should bear Although our rotation, which was so up-and-down last year, has been looking great so far. Maybe we're going to be a road team again this year.

My money will be on the Reds as long as the Cards are unable to hit a tree.

problem with Molina being one of your better hitters is he isn't incredible and the more nicks he takes this year behind the plate, the worse he'll be. And he has to play a ton because their backups have never been worth a sniff (until this top prospect who's either going to have to get dealt or have a 1B rotation for them two)

I do really like Diaz

INTERNET / -1 Ticket #: 73945928
Apr 08 02:15 PM
Apr 08 02:10 PM

MLB
MLB
PARLAY (2 TEAMS)
[902] STL CARDINALS -205
( ACTION )
[916] CWS WHITE SOX -123
( ACTION )

/

WIN
WIN
WIN
04/08/2017 12:36 PM

Sorry forgot to post this

Loved the spot against Arroyo, who unlike Garrett isn't a leftie and has been seen and hit plenty before. Couple meaningful trends were also in play

Great spot for the cardinals , my right hand man has a squad in the national league which is giants mine is cardinals, loved Albert pujos from the jump , also have family in St Louis, mom always gets official indoor ac type boxes for cards game a relative works for Anheimer Busch gets primo seats, funny shit

Redsox only here fyi try to chime in once a while quietly fading the home squad until they are healthy but boy ohh boy Pablo is playing with a sense of urgency and just a fuck u to all the haters ,good story but pitching will always b are demise

Love Martinez today. He looked amazing against the cubs and a significant downgrade in competition with the reds today. Bats finally looked good yesterday. Having arrojo pitching batting practice (his FB topped out at 87 yesterday will be great fade all year) helped make them look good, but Feldman isn't much better

Back