Culpepper to sign with Oakland?

reNew Orleans

Clubbin' with Rasual Butler
http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2007/07/31/culpepper-expected-to-sign/

Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune is reporting that the Raiders are expected to sign QB Daunte Culpepper.
If true, Culpepper would join Josh McCown and Andrew Walter, who have been splitting reps with the first team while JaMarcus Russell holds out. Culpepper would have to prove he's healthy to have a legitimate shot at playing time, and his most likely role remains as a backup. Jul. 31 - 1:30 pm et
Source: Oakland Tribune

:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:

What's funny about this is that I heard this rumor before Russell was even drafted, that they'd bring in Culpepper to take the lumps as they taught JR the position. But then it all seemed to go away.

I would love it if they did this, in part because Randy Moss would have missed it, in part because this team might suddenly be good for some overs.

But what I've read about Russell's contract isn't that it's about money but rather the length of the deal. I don't know if that will make the hold out longer or shorter, that's just what I've read.

Wish frickin Russell would sign...thats what is holding up CJ here

Number 1 picks are supposed to have deals in place by 12:00 on draft day...jeez Raiders

POSTED 9:53 p.m. EDT, July 31, 2007
RUSSELL WON'T SIGN UNTIL JOHNSON DOES
League sources continue to tell us that the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft, LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell, will not sign with the Raiders until the Lions work out a deal with the No. 2 selection, Lions receiver Calvin Johnson.
Because Russell's agents have never done a No. 1 overall pick, the thinking is that they want to have the floor set by the Lions and Johnson.
Whether that floor is established any time soon remains to be seen. Word is that Johnson's mother is calling the shots on this one, and that she's driving a hard bargain.

Man, that's just what the Raiders need. Another fumbling, injury-prone QB to take Brooks' place.

Is he the best QB available?

I have a feeling Russell is going to remind us of a bigger version on Culpepper. A big fumbling goofball with a strong arm.

The Lions and the Raiders...clowns being dictated by clowns..

Is that the truth, at least the 'being dictated' part.

I don't know, ED, I think Jamarcus has a really wide spectrum of opportunity. I think with the right coaching and in the right situation he might turn out pretty damn good. But I think if the Raiders don't fix that line, and they shove him back there with no coaching, he could explode into a David Klingler-like fireball.

Raiders just need 10-14 pts on Offense or Special teams and the Defense will handle the rest.

Raiders qb's this year are a whole lot better than last year. and the zone blocking scheme will help the o-line tremendousley.

qb's this year qb's last year

McCown A.Brooks
C.Pepper Walter
Walter Tui
Russell

Projected O-line this year

Lt - Barry Sims ( Dont really like him hope the rookie can take his place soon)
Lg - Robert Gallery (better suited as a guard)

C - Jermey Newberry ( If he knees hold up he a pro bowl C , and better than Grove.)

Rg - Boothe/Carlisle

Rt . Green/McQuistan

OC Gregg Knapp and OL Coch Tom Cable will help and have already helped The Raiders Offense so much this offseason.
Also the pick ups of FB Justin Griffith who knows Knapp/cables blocking schemes is huge he was a stud with the Falcon and hardly used because of vick. Also Rookie TE Zach Miller is a solid TE the Raiders havent had in years. Expect him to be a go to guy if he can handle it.

If the Raiders can get 10-14 pts with this New Offense Guarenteed 8-8.

Just need 1 of the 4 qb's to step up.

Haters :eyes:

I'm not a hater, Throwback. I'm not a big fan of Culpepper. I used to like the Raiders, back before the move to LA. I was a Plunkett and Marcus Allen fan.

Newberry is a good center, like you said, when he's healthy. Knapp is a good West Coast Offensive Coordinator.

I will have to wait and see how good their defense is going to be. I haven't heard much about that side of the ball.

You think this will even pressure Russell into signing quicker?

I heard that was one of the reasons for signing Pep, but I mean I think he could teach the kid a few things hopefully he doesn't teach the shitty things.

If the Raiders go 8-8 this year Kiffin will look like a boy genius.

Realistically they're only looking at 2-4 in their division, maybe they can sneak by with 3-3, but I doubt it--not because they suck through the floor, but because the Chargers are good, the Broncos should be improved, and they'll split with KC.

So that leaves five to six games that they need from the rest of their schedule. I haven't looked at it yet, and maybe they don't have to host the Browns again this year, because that's become a guaranteed loss for them. But that seems like a lot to ask out of such a young team transitioning its roster.

and maybe they don't have to host the Browns again this year, because that's become a guaranteed loss for them.

Can't allow this to go without some retaliation so ......

remember when mike davis intercepted the brownies in the end zone to lock up the playoff win on the raiders way to another superbowl win. I think the raiders are 3-2 in the superbowl so far. and the browns are .... well ... i'm sure they'll win it whenever they get there.

Throwback, your way too high on their defense. When teams get up by DD, they often don't want to go nuts and score more points. They just try and be efficient. The result is that bad teams defnesive rankings often get overstated.

Culpecker was beat out by Joey Harrington in Miami, so take that for what it's worth.

Russell isn't ready for the NFL and a holdout might be a GOOD thing for him so he won't have to play this year. He does remind you of Culpepper, and he constantly tried to shrug those comments almost in a disrespectful way... well now your teammates.

I also don't think culpecker is a good role model for Russell.

BTW, I think those fat boys will kill the buffet in the locker room after games.

i'm sure they'll win it whenever they get there.

Me, too, Vegas. Me too.

I agree.

Maybe last year Sex Boat Fumblepecker should have been studying his playbook instead of playing those John Madden games and working on his silly gig. " get your roll on". Well roll right out of Miami Duante.

I think pairing him up with the guy that doesn't want to be like him is terrible. Having 2 big fat ass hillbillys joking around and "having fun" at paractice is NOT what the worst team in the league needs.

Duante Fumblpecker is the worst mentor Jemarcus Russell could possibly have.

Culpeper is the person that everybody always compares Russell too, but Pepper is lazy, cocky, got in trouble with the law, failed in Minnesota and Miami, but now they want him to mentor Russell...

Unless their plan is to show Jemarcus what NOT to be like... in that case, it might not be such a bad plan after all.

Throwback, your way too high on their defense. When teams get up by DD, they often don't want to go nuts and score more points. They just try and be efficient. The result is that bad teams defnesive rankings often get overstated.

Culpecker was beat out by Joey Harrington in Miami, so take that for what it's worth.

Russell isn't ready for the NFL and a holdout might be a GOOD thing for him so he won't have to play this year. He does remind you of Culpepper, and he constantly tried to shrug those comments almost in a disrespectful way... well now your teammates.

Not even this Defense will be so much better than last year just watch and D.Darius has been huge in camp so far, he's gonna help the rud D so much. THere is no doubt that this will be a top 3 defense.

and I honestly didnt wanna see Jamarcus start this year want him to sit and learn like Carson Palmer did. I just want his ass to get to camp already so he can learn already.

No doubt they will be top 3?

What about Chicago, Jacksonville and Baltimore? The Raiders will be better than them?

Do you remember 2 years ago when the Redskins had a top ranked defense, but a real bad offense. It was exactly what I was talking about. They went out and brought in some receivers ( which they thought was the problem).

Their offense improved a little ( although not from Brandon Lloyd and Randel El), but their defense got worse... much worse.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Raiders defense took a step back, while their offense if their offense takes a step forward.

When a team is beating the raiders 21-3 or by some other comfortable score, their offense isn't as worried about scoring more points. They want to have some long drives, chew up clock, and win the game. Playing aggressive offense is risky, and risky = potential for mistakes, and mistakes = a greater chance at a loss.

The Patriots on their great run would try and get up by about 2 possessions, maybe 10,14 or even 17 points and then focued on being efficient and chewing up clock.

sure, some teams go get a lead and keep trying to run the score up, but if you make mistakes you have a higher probability at losing.

When teams are shit stomping the raiders, they weren't concerned about scoring more points, and especially when the raiders offense couldn't even sniff points.

The steelers game last year is an example of how the steelers offense lost, or the raiders defense won the game.... but if the raiders offense were better, it would be a different game.

why risk a lead when you know that aaron brooks/andrew walter can't do anything behind that line anyway?

why not just be happily up by 13 points, win the game, and move on to next week with a win.

Back