Cubs vs Reds Preview Article (Thursday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Cubs Will Cry for Mama Bear After Facing Reds Thursday

The NL Central-leading Cubs host the Reds on Thursday at 8:05 ET on the MLB Network. Do the Cubs need this more? Yes. Will that matter? No.

Thursday, 8:05 ET (MLB Network)

MLB Pick: Reds RL

One of the worst reasons for placing a bet that I notice is betting on a team that „needs“ to win more. If you were to follow this reasoning with the Cubs, for instance, you’d have lost big because in three series with non-playoff contenders Pittsburgh and San Diego in August, they only managed a split, including two losses when favored by more than -150. Even if a team is more motivated, it can buckle under pressure, the other team can play looser and have more fun, and many other psychological events can transpire that we as bettors (as opposed to mind-readers) cannot possibly predict.

Cincinnati’s Anthony DeSclafani (6-3, 4.12 ERA) has recently been one of bookmakers’ best kept secrets. The Reds won in each of his last four starts—he earned the win in two of them—and they yielded +5.1 units in the process thanks especially to a win at +180 in Washington. DeSclafani is profitable on the road, where he yields +3.9 units. He also yields +5.3 units as an underdog.

DeSclafani shows great form lately, conceding two runs in his last three starts (21.2 innings). His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) was under 3.05 in each of those starts, although they came against playoff contenders with mostly high slugging rates against his pitches from righties: San Francisco, Arizona, and Washington. During his streak, he’s achieved an 8:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio and yielded in each start a hard contact rate at least 10 percent below his season average.

He relies on a fastball-sinker-slider combo. He relies on each pitch with between 25 and 33 percent frequency. He mixes up his pitches well especially with two strikes, where he can lean on five different pitches with at least 10 percent frequency. His sinker and slider are most effective, which is why he amps up their usage with runners in scoring position. Opponents bat .247 against his sinker and .176 against his slider. His sinker is elusive with its horizontal movement. His slider lacks vertical movement, so that it slides more tightly and doesn’t hang up in the plate so that the batter can track it more easily. Opponents tend to crush his stuff when he leaves it in the middle. But their slugging numbers are infinitesimal against his pitches on the outer parts of the zone, which he’s been nailing so often lately.

The Cubs match up poorly with DeSclafani. They rank 13th in slugging against his three primary pitches from righties. The Cubs are batting .225 against DeSclafani in 80 career at-bats. Anthony Rizzo is 2-for-22 lifetime against him. The Cubs’ RL is 0-4 and ML 1-3 in their last four home openers. All three losses were by at least five runs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chicago’s Cole Hamels (8-9, 4.00 ERA) shows good form, but his recent results are superficial. His last four opponents rank in the bottom half in slugging against lefties.

The lefty Hamels relies on five different pitches with between 14 and 24 percent frequency. In the month before his transition to Chicago, Hamels was getting slammed with double-digit ERA’s on a regular basis. All of his pitches were impacted, so their opposing slugging numbers remain high. Since then, nothing significant has changed about the velocity, movement, or location of his pitches. Only the opponents have changed. He hasn’t faced a team like Oakland, which ranks sixth in slugging against lefties and produced seven runs against him in his final start for Texas.

The Reds rank seventh, one spot behind the A’s, in slugging against lefties. They’re 5-0 so far in August against lefties, scoring at least six runs in each of those wins. Also, like the Tigers who slammed Hamels in July before he could finish an inning, the Reds specialize against lefties, yielding +8 units against them. Watch for Eugenio Suarez, who slugs .702 against lefties. Jose Peraza is slugging .800 in his last seven days.

I was just talking to Henry about that very first paragraph tonight Mike. So true. He thinks dogs are going to regress substantially for that reason alone.

It's all about picking spots. It's not like every favorite is going to sweep every team not in contention. They will lose, you just need to be good at choosing the right games.

Another great article as always sir!

If I was betting a side, I think Reds RL is definitely the way to go.

But if you like the over doesn‘t that statistically favor the chances of the Cubs‘ RL hitting? Higher score = more variety of scoring = more chance for better team to show they‘re better? I guess.

But if you like the over doesn‘t that statistically favor the chances of the Cubs‘ RL hitting? Higher score = more variety of scoring = more chance for better team to show they‘re better? I guess.

Statistically, sure. I more so just mean the value is with the Reds so I’d have to play them if I had to pick a side. However, I’m hoping yesterday jumpstarts the Cubs finally.

th

I just worry about Coors. Mikolas throws a curveball a good bit...can he adjust its aim to account for Denver's environmental forces?

Maybe Mikolas -110 at that price.

I think he will struggle at coors. Prob 1st time I’ve saud that bout him all year, def 1st time I’m playing a over w him pitching. He relys on so many pitches, afraid his breaking stuff will not be effective there so it either flat which I could hit or he just has to really battle w his fb/sinker and grind his way thru 5 or so innings just keeping cards offense in it, actually think cards gonna hang a number on senzatela too.

I just worry about Coors. Mikolas throws a curveball a good bit...can he adjust its aim to account for Denver's environmental forces?

Lol, hasn’t seen this post yet, great minds and all. I think Mikolas struggles. I like the over. We outta hit sezatela seeing him again so soon, he only throws heaters and his hr/fb ratio way out of whack, even lower than last years despite more hard hit fly balls against him. Hope we get ump who likes to squeeze zone, then this bitch fly over.

Senzatela has started throwing a change up and it has saved him. Going to be another gorgeous night too. I’ll play the ROX and the over just because I’m up now after Dezi’s walkoff.

Back