Cubs get Harden

fuck

SP was what they needed

once soriano comes back and marmol gets his control issues down, cubs are going to win the WS this year

bank it.

but seriously harden is EXACTLY what they needed

lilly and marquis (if he keps it in the park, lol)-flyball pitchers

dempster- groundball

they now have a strikeout pitcher

he is the PERFECT fit for them. gotta give it to the cubbies that was an excellent move for them. the perfect move IMO

Agree 100%

Think they'll shop for a lefty stick? I know Edmonds has been a pleasant surprise and all but...

even with all his past injuries....

if you were a cubs fan, who would you think was the best fit for your team?

CC or Hard-on?

First off I wanna say congrats to the Cubs, looks like a slam dunk.

Like the fact Harden is finally healthy. I think I have had him on my fantasy team for the last 4 years and have been waiting for the breakout. The guy has always had the stuff needed to get it done but guys Billy Beane is smarter than the average bear, just remember that.

All I can say is...thank goodness IL play is over...White Sox don't have to see Harden again this year unless we both make it to the world series. woo hoo!

The Cubs acquire right-handers Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin from the A's for righty Sean Gallagher, outfielders Matt Murton and Eric Patterson, and minor leaguer John Donaldson

wow!!

The Cubs acquire right-handers Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin from the A's for righty Sean Gallagher, outfielders Matt Murton and Eric Patterson, and minor leaguer John Donaldson

wow!!

Being only 3.5 games out of the wild card and weeks left before the deadline, it looks like Billy Beane wanted to ship Harden out of town asap. He may know something we dont know.

wow!!

umm

if harden remains healthy, does this not look like a steal and a half?

A's must really like what Gallagher has

yeah as a screwers fan i would not be happy with this news either....

big Z/harden.....

and gaudin you get some versatility with him as he can add some depth to the pen or also if needed, in case of a last minute scratch or something, he can start

the weird thing was, i think gaudin was the one who was moved back to the bullpen after harden came back from his injury in may.

harden/gaudin essentially for patterson/gallagher?

along with the CC trade this week has been some highway robbery goin on

This is some bullshit with what they gave up for him. Minus Gallagher they gave up basically three 4A players. Cant do shit in the majors but rake in the minors. Doesnt even matter though. Harden will be on the DL by August

Gaudin is a steal I would have loved to seen the Yankees get him as there 5th SP. Put it this way Gaudin is better then Sean Gallagher right now and if you cant Gaudin some consistent work to get on a roll he is significantly better then Gallagher . STEAL. I dont understand why Oak would deal him. At least they sucked Mulder , Hudson and Zito dry by the time they exited OAK.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Cubs slipped some money under the table to Oakland, no doubt in my mind.

This was a really weird trade by Oakland. They'll typically get some pretty damn good players when they get rid of the big guys, but not sure I understand this. Two AL pitchers coming to my club where AL pitchers coming to the NL have shined the last few years. I'm not worried at all about Harden's health. It's been 100 fucking years, the time is now. But the thing is, Hendry made them throw in Gaudin as insurance which was a steal. This guy was 8-3 as a starter before the all-star break last year. Now he's thrown into the long relief if he needs it, or a spot start instead of Gallagher.

Gallagher is a maximum #3 starter at best anywhere. He's going to struggle in the AL i believe. As for Murton, not sure what Oakland sees in him but he's a decent fielder with very little power and that doesn't mix well in the AL w/ corner outfielders being so powerful. When the Cubs called up Patterson and he shined, they knew they could shop him and that is what they did. He played beautiful baseball for that 3 weeks he was in the majors. His defense in the outfield was pitiful, but that was something new to him. The Cubs got Soriano and Fukudome at the corner outfield positions, so getting rid of Murton and Patterson, who had played there when Soriano went down was KEY.

Donaldson, nobody talks about him. He's a helluva catcher. His numbers are down, but he's a Major League starting catcher. Cubs don't have any use for him b/c of Soto's All-Star Surge, so get rid of him.

Brilliant.

Rotation is now Zambrano, Harden, Dempster, Lilly, and you name the fourth. Marquis, Hill, Marshall, Gaudin.

Still another deal to be made. Marshall's going to go, or Gaudin might turn around and be dealt. Gotta love a GM who knows it's been 100 years and the time is now. Only thing we're missing is a lefty in the pen.

One more deal to be made, but regardless, this team wins the Central by 8 games minimum. Something like 19 of their next 29 games are at home where they've been lights out and they're coming off their toughest road stretch of the season where they went to LA to Toronto to the HOF game to the South Side to San Fran to STL. All that travel without Zambrano, without Soriano, with a bad Marmol, with a few blown saves, without ARAM for a few, and still wound up 17-15 during that stretch.

Game over.

No matter how mismatched the trade may seem, Billy Beane did it for a reason. The man has made millions doing this as his living, and if we could do the same, we would be making millions in the MLB.

Back