CTG NFL year-long handicapping league

• Thread starter Thread starter Lareux
  • Start date Start date
L

Lareux

What's up fellas? I am going to run a year long NFL handicapping league (contest) that I hope will get some good participation. The entry fee will be $20 (unless guys want to make it $50, just figured at $20 we would get more peeps involved), and everyone is invited and encouraged to join. I'm calling it a league, but it's really just a contest to see who is not only the best handicapper, but also the best money manager.

Here are the rules (would like a little feedback, so these may be tweaked a bit before it starts):

$10,000 to start for each participant
Minimum of 2 bets per week, maximum of 4 (point spreads and totals only, no MLs)

• Can play 1 parlay (2 or 3 team) in your 4 plays
    • 2 team parlays will pay 2.6/1
    • 3 team parlays will pay 6/1
  • Can play 1 teaser (2 or 3 team) in your 4 plays
    • 2 team teasers are 6 pts and -120
    • 3 team teasers are 10 pts and -130
  • Minimum amount for wager is $100, there is no maximum
If you run out of money at any point, you are eliminated…there are no “re-buys”

Depending on the number of guys in the contest, payouts will be determined before the season begins. I would like to pay the top 10-20% of participants (much like a poker tourney).

PMs will be accepted starting in week 15. The PM would be due to you not wanting others to know what you're playing as it may affect what they play themselves, which may will come into play in the last few weeks of the season.

Some things that I want a bit of input on:

The contest will run through the regular season, but do we want to have a certain number of guys "advance" to the playoffs, and bet the NFL playoff games?

How many guys, or what % of the participants should be paid out?

Hope to see all of the usual suspects in this contest, as well as any newbies who want to show what they've got.

Anything I have forgotten, please chime in and ask questions....yes Twink, even you (haha)

Last edited by a moderator:
curious as to how we lock in spreads/ML? I like the idea of having it just be the regular season, personally. I think payouts, etc. would depend on how many were involved.

curious as to how we lock in spreads/ML? I like the idea of having it just be the regular season, personally. I think payouts, etc. would depend on how many were involved.

Lines will be posted on Wednesday, would like to do them on Thursday but with the Thursday night game I want to give everyone enough time to post plays if they're playing the Thursday nighter. No ML plays, I will have to put that in the rules. Just point spreads and totals.

I would agree on running it through the regular season only, we will plan on that for now, unless a bunch of guys give reasons as to why we should include the playoffs.

I'm in for the 20.
One suggestion: No one should be able to post through PM.

I think that all plays should be visible to all players.
Keep it honest and timely, like the MLB contest.
Also, no editing after the start of the first game on any day. Regardless if someone is playing all late games.
Use all lines that are posted in the top of the contest thread, much like MLB. It would be wrong to allow line movements after the first posted line in the thread.

Top 10 should be awarded prizes because there will likely be more than 100 players.

Playoffs should require a re-up of 20.00 so that any guys who had a bad year could still win something just by having a good playoff run. Regular season winners should'nt be penalized for winning, and to see a portion of 17 weeks go to a player that lost regular season get a chunk of money just for the playoffs.

Just my opinions.

Laurex lets get League Safe set up ASAP so we can get verified entrants confirmed here. Ill get you Mod powers in this forum tonight or tomorrow so you can edit thread and keep updates etc.

On my phone so it'll be brief for a second, I can elaborate later. As far as sending plays via PM, this would just be so that others don't know what you've played before the games start. All plays will be posted for everyone, but can be sent via PM if you wanna keep your plays guarded so someone doesn't strategize with your plays. I will post all of the plays though, so everyone will know what everyone else's plays were once the games start.

The league is now setup at LeagueSafe. It's the first time I've set one up there, and I'm having an issue with the link they provided, as it didn't work and gave an error message. I have an email into them in order to see what the deal is.

Until then, anyone can send me their email address, and I can send an invite that will hopefully work.

The league ID # is 1832219. You may be able to just go to leaguesafe.com, use that ID and get setup, I'm not exactly sure but it's worth a shot.

I think plays should be allowed to sent via PM only near the end of the season. That's when it makes sense. If you keep it public it's possible that the first place guy will just copy the 2nd place guy... It's possible. Had the same situation in the NBA contest. Lareux is a pretty honest guy IMO. Have no problem with it

I think plays should be allowed to sent via PM only near the end of the season. That's when it makes sense. If you keep it public it's possible that the first place guy will just copy the 2nd place guy... It's possible. Had the same situation in the NBA contest. Lareux is a pretty honest guy IMO. Have no problem with it

Agree that it makes more sense towards the end of the year. I just wanted to give the option, so that if someone felt more comfortable doing it via PM, they could do it that way. Again, everyone's plays will be posted for everyone else to see, so sending them via PM isn't doing anything other than keeping the plays "secret" until the start of the games. Good thoughts though, and if everyone agrees to not allow them to be sent via PM until a certain week of the season, then that's what we will do.

Lareux. I got your invite. It worked. Paid Up.

Awesome, thanks again for being the guinea pig Mo.

Everyone who wants in, just PM me your email address, and I will send you the invite to sign up.

The link in the post above is a working and valid link. Anyone who wishes to sign up, all you need to do is click the link, no longer a need to send me your email address. Again, if there are any issues, please let me know, but it looks to be solid this time.

Thanks!

im in - fee paid

could the $20 entry fee be too low that it actually doesnt "attract the most peeps"??? As in not worth many peoples time? I'll gladly pay more if we want to move the fee up

thanks for doing it either way :shake:

im in - fee paid

could the $20 entry fee be too low that it actually doesnt "attract the most peeps"??? As in not worth many peoples time? I'll gladly pay more if we want to move the fee up

thanks for doing it either way :shake:

Whatever y'all decide is cool with me. It's the first year of hopefully an annual league so we can always bump up next year if everyone doesn't want to this year. Majority rules...

Some quick thoughts...

PM's should be for a specific last few weeks in my mind. Say the last 3 weeks. Remember, PM's are time-stamped so those can be authenticated.

There will be smoe bumps along the way, but that will only make it smoother going forward. Hopefully everyone enjoys the contest and it grows.

Let us know if you would like us to do a small bit of advertising...via social and other outlets...or if you want it as more of the vets around here contest.

Some quick thoughts...

PM's should be for a specific last few weeks in my mind. Say the last 3 weeks. Remember, PM's are time-stamped so those can be authenticated.

There will be smoe bumps along the way, but that will only make it smoother going forward. Hopefully everyone enjoys the contest and it grows.

Let us know if you would like us to do a small bit of advertising...via social and other outlets...or if you want it as more of the vets around here contest.

Up to you guys if you want to advertise it via social media, I don't mind either way.

Agree with the thoughts about the PMs, kinda what I was originally thinking...that when it gets down to crunch-time is when PMs should be utilized. Let's call it week 15 forward, so it will be the last 3 weeks.

Guys I updated the starting money to $10,000 with the same $100 minimum bet. I had a couple emails/PMs that were asking if we could start with more money since the min bet was $100. Now, the minimum bet is 1% of the bankroll to start, and with guys able to make 2-4 plays or week, I felt this made a bit more sense.

Unless anyone has a better place, or an objection to which lines I am using, I plan on taking the lines from the LV Hilton, as posted on vegasinsider.com at midnight on Wednesday night and post the lines then (or by Wed morning at the latest). Lines will be up shortly for week 1. I will put the lines in a separate thread, and make a new thread each week. Good luck all, I hope this is a fun and competitive little handicapping league.

Anyone who hasn't joined yet, please do as you still have time. You can join up until the kickoff of the final game on Monday Night Football, as you would still be able to make the minimum 2 plays. I think we all are looking for a bunch more guys to get signed up to increase not only the pot, but also the competition. The best cappers in the country are here on CTG, lots of you guys still have to step up and prove just that!

Lareux- if you need helping names to CTG Usernames, I know most that are on that leaguesafe page from past leagues/contests...let me know

Back