Crowdsourcing: Best, Worst Things about Every (Playoff-Eligible) NFL Team

KoalaInATree

Pretty much a regular
Last week's Seahawks thread was a big success thanks to you all, and I think we can use crowdsourcing for a similar output here. Some of you guys know the entire league, some of you all know one team extremely well, and one person on this site who will remain nameless, doesn't know anything about sports!

If we team up, this can be a great thread going into the postseason, as far as play-ons/play-againsts. I'll start w/ some very brief thoughts off the top of my head. Feel free to do the same, with some quick thoughts, or to go in-depth as well with some stats.

IND -- FIRST HALF PLAY. This team SUCKS in the first half. I think at one point they were outscored like 100-18 in first halves over a 4 or 5 game stretch.

With Reggie Wayne injury, same problem as above, except with an added downside: Lack of secondary receiving options, BUT they don't even have a true #1. Hilton has great vertical speed, but he's small so adds nothing in short yardage or in red zone, can be taken away by press-man.

So many inconsistencies on both sides of the ball. Running game has been nonexistent. The T-Rich trade is blowing up in their faces and they're trying out a CFL RB bro this week.

DET - turnovers (29 I think), and just being Detroit-y/too inconsistent, turning it "on and off" at times. Team needs to find a running game so when the pass game goes out of sync with a lead ( which has happened at times ), they can protect it. (And when I say "out of sync," I mean Megatron didn't catch a pass that drive, lol ).

Also huge problem, same problem in recent years, is lack of secondary targets outside of the best WR on the planet. And Reggie Bush being banged up really hurts as defenses can roll coverage to Calvin and play deep. He'll be back this week, but his status going into the playoffs will be important.

DEN - peyton in the cold weather, welker's concussion problems all of a sudden, safeties and back end of secondary can be toasted by WRs that consistently get separation

KC - pass rush has really tapered off in recent weeks and it's exposing the secondary, which really struggles in man. great runniing game but a QB who can't throw the ball more than 15 yards down the field, and a receiving corps which is barely mediocre.

NE - lack of a "go-to" receiver for brady with gronk injury. Right now, it's Edelman, and he's not a true #1. Interior run D will be an issue all season with Mayo/Wilfuck injuries.

CAR - not enough weapons on offense to go toe-to-toe with high-powered offenses like the Saints, Broncos, etc. defense is loaded with playmakers, but if they can't run the ball and dictate the tempo of the game, they can be beaten. AND young team with lil playoff experience.

Also, like KC, secondary beginning to be exposed for what it is: just mediocre

SF- Kap's trouble going through his progressions/overthinking things at times, and completion rate. Passing game can be stagnant at times. I like this team, though, if he can regain his form from last year. They're heating up and getting it together at the right time, getting healthy. King Crab already returning to form.

DAL - Tampa-2 is built on giving up yards and they do this! They're the worst in the NFL I believe. But it's also predicated on forcing turnovers/sacks/mistakes, and they don't do this. They have press-man CBs playing in a zone scheme, which is kind of stupid.

The Bears didn't punt on Monday night. So there's that.

Not sure why Dallas is in there. NFC East is the Birds to lose.

Right now, it is, yup. But this is about playoff-eligible teams, so we can focus on last three weeks of the season as well. Birds and Boys both in play here.

And Week 17 will be huge. Ain't over yet.

Playoffs are wide open this year. I don't see a clear cut favorite. Every team has glaring flaws. Seattle is probably the favorite I'm assuming?

they wont play the Super Bowl at home though

None of the potential AFC teams match up well with them at all. It's not like Seattle has been terrible on the road this year.

Their only obstacles are in the NFC- Eagles strike me as their most dangerous matchup at the moment. If the Lions woke up and played a flawless game, they would be tough but we all know how rare that is. I suppose the 49ers or Saints could potentially win up there but I think the recent evidence is that would be very unlikely.

Dallas does create turnovers. They're tied for fifth in the league in takeaways even after the zero they had last week. They had two dropped interceptions against McCown and lost a third due to penalty.

Their problem is they can't get off the field on 3rd down and their offense disappears for stretches, usually when they start to abandon the run.

NE sure as hell misses him tho.
Don't know why you guys keep sayin this. Its time to move away from this already.

The slot receiver position has been the most reliable position the pats have had this year with both Edelman and amendola filling the position. What they are missing is a go to TE( only had gronk for a few weeks) and a consistent outside threat which opens up the rest of the guys.

No mention of the Bears?

We have a lot of CHI guys, so you'd think there'd be some input.

But apparently everyone on the NFL forum now just posts picks, doesn't really care for analysis, so I guess this was a big fail on my part. Won't try it again. Waste of time. GL everyone.

Back