Craziness continues yesterday/Boxscore analysis

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Did anyone have MTSU -16.5? Miracle Cover! I'm watching the gamecast on my phone...MT up 23-7 late 4th...NT in red zone and I'm thinking "well if they score it isn't over as long as they don't get the 2 pt". NT scored TD for 23-13 game AND the 2 pt conversion failed! Now MT just needs a miracle TD in the final 2 minutes...NT onside kicks, MT gets it..first play boom 47y TD run for a 30-13 lead. But I did have to sweat out a late NT drive that got inside the 10 as they took shots into the EZ as time expired. Wow.

So many extra point issues yesterday...that Vols-UGA game was just crazy, but how about the no extra pt following the Vols game winning hailmary with the line being 3.5 and 4.

Or how about Marshall...4th down clock running inside 10 seconds they trail by 10 inside their own 10 following a sack, Littleton gets the snap throws the ball medium depth to the right and Pitt DB jumps in for a pick six...zeros on the clock...line is 16.5 or 17 and no extra pt! 43-27 Pitt wins. If there would've been :01 left Pitt kicks that extra pt and Marshall +16.5 would go down as a horrible bad beat.

In the NFL they have to attempt the extra pt by rule if a score is made with :00 left don't they? I remember a team or two just taking a knee on the pat so to not risk a blk.

Western Michigan just barely went over the total (if you had less than 60) thanks to a final drive 4th down conversion and big run leading to a late garbage over winning TD run.

Harbaugh didn't seem to interested in covering on Michigan's two final drives yesterday. UM 0-3 on FGs (two different kickers, but not the freshman #1 kid, I guess he's the #1 kicker in America last year, but not good enough to kick yet?). Could've used a couple of those FGs yesterday.

Potentially huge play in the OU-TCU game. With TCU having come back big and then going for 2 on their last TD it is just a 3 pt game with most spreads being 3.5. OU mounts a drive and gets into the RZ with just over 2 minutes left, TCU has 1 Timeout. 3rd down Mayfield appears to complete a pass good enough for a first down, but they rule it incomplete on the field as the ball may have moved in the receiver's arms. Very close. Replay upholds the incompletion and OU kicks a FG for a 6 pt lead. Had that pass been complete it is possible that OU may've be able to run out the clock as to not risk giving the ball back to TCU who was on fire in the 4th qrt.

How about that Cal goal line stand, the Cal D wins them a game! That's a shocker.

How about the leaping penalty on #34 for MSU bailing Indiana out of their missed FG in OT, giving them another shot for the win.

Bad snap on a punt for SD St may've sunk their dream of a New Year's Day Bowl. Game was only 28-24 USA when that snap went by the punter and USA scored 2 plays and 4 yards later. Next drive USA gets an 80y fumble ret TD...effectively 2 nonoffensive TDs in the 4th killed SD ST.

I listened to Hawaii game on the radio. Sounds like they played their best game in years, literally.

Will have to get into the box scores later today.

Oh, one more crazy comment for now:

"Matt Campbell may be the next generation's Nick Saban" - says Tim Brando during the Baylor-ISU game. Ah, yeah, crazy.

Funny Mike Leach post game, when asked about the effective Wazzou ground game "well yeah, we can run it sometimes I guess, you know one of these games I'm going to throw it 100% of the time and then next game run it 100% of the time and say we are balanced", which was a June Jones reference. Ducks haven't lost 3 in a row since 07...play UW next.

Harbaugh didn't seem to interested in covering on Michigan's two final drives yesterday. UM 0-3 on FGs (two different kickers, but not the freshman #1 kid, I guess he's the #1 kicker in America last year, but not good enough to kick yet?). Could've used a couple of those FGs yesterday.

He is hurt, and read rumors he might be in the doghouse anyways.

Dog house? Harbaugh sleeps over his house and now they aren't buds? Ha, well hopefully for them, they get that shit straightened out or it will cost them a game and not just cost us a cover.

the pitt under is as bad a beat as you can come up with. glad I somehow escaped having it.

fla fumbled the snap on the vandy 1 yd line with 2 min left where a TD would have covered. They def didn't deserve to cover as I felt vandy outplayed them. I did have that one, so couldn't totally escape.

Dog house? Harbaugh sleeps over his house and now they aren't buds? Ha, well hopefully for them, they get that shit straightened out or it will cost them a game and not just cost us a cover.

Who knows. He is a very cocky kid. Either way, he is injured.

I am not sure what happened to Kenny Allen, he was excellent last year. Maybe having to do a 3 phases of kicking is the issue? Your right though, it will cost them somewhere.

sk are we going to use this for deceiving boxscores as well? there were quite a few yesterday.

the pitt under is as bad a beat as you can come up with. glad I somehow escaped having it.

Was watching Mar-Pitt on one of my secondary TVs, the late pick six was stupid, but I do remember Pitt not getting a TD on 4th-and-goal from the 1, I think the QBs helmet came off and he actually got across, but the play was ruled dead when the helmet came off. So not knowing a ton other than alot of big plays all around, seems that Pitt game ending pick six TD and that failed QB sneak TD earlier create a wash. Pitt got up 20-0 with the feel of an impending blowout ,but that failed 4th down QB sneak seemed to keep Marshall bettors on life support.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by clowncar
sk are we going to use this for deceiving boxscores as well? there were quite a few yesterday.

I added that to thread title for ya

Cool, yeah, I will look at some stuff later too.

I consider the Pitt under one of the worst of the year (my personal worse of the year though there are worse ones in other games this year). I really don't want to discuss it but maybe someone else will. I suggest just a quick glance of the play by play with consideration of timeouts is enough though. That was a level of brutal I didn't think was possible. It still hurts this morning.

fla fumbled the snap on the vandy 1 yd line with 2 min left where a TD would have covered. They def didn't deserve to cover as I felt vandy outplayed them. I did have that one, so couldn't totally escape.

I ended up rolling with UF -9.5 and then took Vandy 2H +7. I watched a good portion of this one and agree with you that it was one of those weird games where UF def didn't deserve the cover but that fumbled goal line snap after the muffed punt snap was brutal for Florida backers. I'll reserve total judgement until I can see a little more and read up on the game but I think the spot was more than likely the issue for UF although Appleby went from looking really solid against UT to very average this week and his receivers didn't help him

So many extra point issues yesterday...that Vols-UGA game was just crazy, but how about the no extra pt following the Vols game winning hailmary with the line being 3.5 and 4.

Or how about Marshall...4th down clock running inside 10 seconds they trail by 10 inside their own 10 following a sack, Littleton gets the snap throws the ball medium depth to the right and Pitt DB jumps in for a pick six...zeros on the clock...line is 16.5 or 17 and no extra pt! 43-27 Pitt wins. If there would've been :01 left Pitt kicks that extra pt and Marshall +16.5 would go down as a horrible bad beat.

In the NFL they have to attempt the extra pt by rule if a score is made with :00 left don't they?

Yes, the rule is different in the NFL. I remember a game in Foxboro in which the visitors ran off the field after the Patsies scored with no time left. The Pats lined up with no defense on the field, and the holder just flipped the ball to Vinatieri, who ran it in for two points. The two points may have covered the spread for some bettors, too, IIRC.

Yes, the rule is different in the NFL. I remember a game in Foxboro in which the visitors ran off the field after the Patsies scored with no time left. The Pats lined up with no defense on the field, and the holder just flipped the ball to Vinatieri, who ran it in for two points. The two points may have covered the spread for some bettors, too, IIRC.

It sure is different.

I will take two old instances.

The ole hail mary game in '94 here...I was so mad as a kid they didn't have to kick...what if it gets blocked and returned.

Back early 2000's, Oakland at KC...I had Oakland +3.5...up 24-21...KC scores with no time left and kicks XP.

How about Vandy punting with 2 minutes left on the 50. I know you have 3 timeouts but you're losing!

Kickers were awful everywhere.

They showed Harbaugh's face after the game winning INT and he genuinely looked upset. I thought it was maybe because he wouldn't able to cover the spread, haha.

If the pass fell incomplete and they got the ball instead at the wisconsin 20 (or wherever the ball was at the time) I feel pretty strongly that Harbaugh would've made an attempt to get in the end zone.

The box score in that game was very one-sided in favor of mich.

Just kind of running down some things from early-to-late action...

I mentioned Iowa having more punt/kick return yards than offense...it was close. Punt/kick return yards = 254, Run/Pass yards = 283. Northwestern had their best rushing game of the year (198, 4.7ypc).

Maryland ran for 400 yards (8.9ypc) and passed for just 96 (8 of 13). Purdue's 205 yards came on 80 plays (2.6 ypp vs UM's 7.9). Boiler's lone TD bridging the 3rd and 4th qrt was aided by 30 yards in Maryland penalties, Purdue's O only accounted for 25y on 12 plays on that drive.

SMU ret'd an INT on the opening drive for a TD, then trailing 7-35, their other first half TD was set up by a second Temple INT ret'd to the 33. Temple got a D TD of their own on a sack/fumble return. Set up by Mustang O ineffectiveness with short fields Temple had a 215-92 first half yard edge...SMU had 5 first half 3-and-outs. Owl QB Walker was only 7 or 18 for 139 passing TD, 2 INT. Game scored 65 pts, but it wasn't because the offenses were good or anything.

UCF - ECU - It was Holman's first game back at QB for Knights since being injured at Mich. He would go just 11 of 29-156-OTD-2INT and ran for just 31 on 9 att. ECU had drives to the UCF 11, 14 and 10 yards lines in the first half result in ZERO pts (INT, missed FG and fumble). Both Os started slow, but first half yardage was 270-116 edge ECU, but the score was 16-7 UCF thanks to all those empty ECU drives and a UCF KO ret TD, 35y run TD and safety. ECU's opening possession of the 2nd half was turnover on downs at UCF 8. Game stats 30-16 FD, 102-73 plays, 521-373 yards...all edges for ECU (but lost 5 TOs to UCF's 2 lost TOs). In the 4th qrt, with Nelson out, backup ECU QB threw a pick-six and another INT that set UCF up for a 19y FG.

Miami scored back-to-back DEF TDs in less than a minute's time in the second quarter.

Texas had 3 x-pts blk'd in the first half, two of which were returned for 2 pts the other way. It was the same spot on the line every time, a guy to the center's left would slip right in and blk it. One time the guy who blk'd it actually recovered the bouncing ball and smartly lateraled it to fast guy who could go the distance. 3 pts Texas should've had, 4 free pts for OSU...would've made the final look a little more respectible perhaps, UT also missed a 46y FGA. UT actually had 26-22 FD, 568-555 total yard, 329-163 rushing yard, edges, QB compl % about the same, 3rd down conv about the same, UT 2 of 3 on 4th down. OSU did have a 7.8 to 6.9 ypp advantage. The difference was huge plays in the passing game for Cowboys and horrible tackling by Horns. Also a very key play I thought, a very curious one to say the least came back to haunt Texas. On the last drive of the first half OSU was backed up in their own territory and sacked on 1st down. Texas called timeout with 1:25 left. It was now 2nd and 17, but I do not feel you call a timeout there on D, not on 2nd down because if they can pick up some yards and maybe convert a 1st down on 2nd or 3rd you effectively just helped OSU out. That is exactly what happened. OSU picked up 18y on the next play (poor tackling) and would go 7 plays 84y scoring with just about :30 left. Huge part of the game I feel, and bad decision for UT to use that timeout when they did. 37-25 halftime lead for OSU and Texas could never cut into the 12 pt lead in the second half. OSU did kick two short FGs, Texas ended the game on OSU 8.

Feel like ISU deserved better. Lanning was an amazing (for him) 17 of 23 - 261 - 2TD - OINT, 57 yards rushing. They did not rotate QBs this game since Lanning was so locked in. ISU essentially led by 14 throughout the game, but Baylor dominated the 4th. ISU's final 3 drives went 3-and-out, while Baylor's final three drives just pouned the hell out of the Cylones. At one point Baylor ran the ball 9 straight for 75y on the tying TD drive. There was a key play and call right before half I think it was. I thought it was Hawthorne, but the box score doesn;t support that, but anyway, the Baylor ball carrier appeared to fumble just before crossing the goal line and ISU recovered. Upon review it was deteremined that he broke the plane of the goal line with possession for a TD instead of ISU ball.

After maybe having the game of his life vs Notre Dame, Duke QB Jones threw 5 INTs vs Virginia. Jones also fumbled on a sack which was returned for a UVA TD. Statistical figures were mostly even, but UVA won 34-20.

Buffalo had 5 first downs and just 67 total yards vs BC.

Ohio gets Mia, Oh for 7 sacks in an offensively challenged game. Bobcat QB Windham was just 7 of 18 (38%) for 56 yards! Equally inept was the Mia, Oh run game which generated just 11 yards (7 sacks contributing). Not only were Redhawks sacked 7x, but they had 4 turnovers. Miami actually has some statistical edges, first downs even at 18. Ohio scored a DEF TD to cap the scoring at 17-7.

May post some afternoon or evening stuff later. Feel free to fill in any blanks.

ISU coach was having some choice words with officials when it went to halftime and that call was controversial. I saw it but strangely don't remember if I thought he had scored or was down.

How about Vandy punting with 2 minutes left on the 50. I know you have 3 timeouts but you're losing!

Kickers were awful everywhere.

Illinois punted on 4th and 1 with like 4 min left after throwing a 20 yd fade on 3rd down with a defense that was completely gassed.

Jim Harbaugh says Quinn Nordin has been making progress. May be part of the kicking competition at Michigan this week.

Ok a few days have passed so I will finally talk about the ending of the Marshall/Pitt game. I will just mention the stats first .... just 876 yards.. I say "just" in the context of the normal yards I would expect needed for a game to reach 70 pts. But the way the game played out to go over was almost borderline unbelievable. Marshall goes on a 15 play drive, converting a fourth down along the way to score their first td with roughly 9 minutes to go in the third qtr. They then proceed to recover an onside kick. On the following drive they convert another fourth down (penalty) and end up scoring the TD there. After pitt has an extended drive running the ball resulting in a fg (one of the things i liked about the total going into the game), Marshall then gets an 83 yard TD pass. Pitt gets stopped on downs and Marshall goes right down the field for another TD.

So it is 30-27 now with 4 minutes to go. Avoid overtime and cash.

Fast forward ... Marshall out of timeouts with a little over a minute and Pitt (who had 252 rushing yards) had third and 3 at their own 46. This is awesome .. run it into the line and if you get the first down the game is victory formation. If you don't make it, you can punt them deep with them only having twenty something seconds left and no timeouts to get into FG range ..... Pitt decides to throw. They receiver makes a good catch, breaks a tackle and runs for a TD. If he slides, like he should, the game is over. As it is, there is about a minute left for Marshall. On third and ten from the Marshall 25, the qb gets sacked back at the 11 yardline. time is running out as they have no timeouts. They get off one more play .... which is an easy interception for the Pitt defender and he returns it for a TD instead of sliding (last play so don't blame him as no harm could be done).

Just brutal.

I hadn't realized the impact on the total.

In the first half Marshall had just 3 first downs on their 6 possessions! At halftime Pitt owned a 386-102 yard advantage, and 27-0 lead scoring TDs on 4 of 6 possesions (1 SOD possession at the goal line, 1 punt). Not sure where that Pitt D went, or where the Marshall O came from. Hard to believe that Marshall would go on a 27-3 run. In the 2nd half Marshall scoring TDs on 4 or 5 possessions, with a 266-188 yard advantage. Pitt had just 3 2nd half possessions (FG from 2, SOD at M33 and 75y TD - the one when they could've run out the clock) then the time expiring pick-six (only turnover of game). Pitt only punted once.

Most people probably already ran through their recaps. I will post some more here anyway. Typing some things out actually helps me remember what I read...maybe it is beneficial to others as well.

Tulane was 1 yard shy of their highest offensive yardage output of the year, 85p-448y vs UMass and best ypp vs IA opponents (5.27 ypp) while only allowing 54p-312yto the Minuteman O. UMass did lead 14-0 thanks to a 1p 12y drive following Tul fumble, but Tul O got in gear with a 10p 75y TD, 20p 90y FG from the 5, and later a short TD drive of their own following a sack fumble on UMass QB. Tulane owned a 40:30 to 19:30 TOP.

Still hard to believe that Eastern Michigan is 4-1. They closely outrushed and outpassed BGSU with a 6.3 to 5.1 ypp edge. EM converted 50% 3rd down and actually rank 3rd in the MAC at 3rd down conversion rate O (BG is dead last). EM did throw INT to set up BG's first TD and later fumbled at the BG 26. BG's only turnover was an end of half INT. BG started Fr QB Drew Morgan. Both QBs played for EM, but Brogran Roback led the team on 3 second half TD drives. EM was able to kill the final 5+ minutes of the game for 28-25 win.

After wondering if Ore St might be able to build on the second half success vs Boise...vs CU we found out "we are who we thought they were". Beavers were dominated, crossing the 50 just twice in the second half. Their longest drive of the game was just 40 yards and Buff owned a 553-216 yard advantage, 27-13 FD, 6.1 to 3.6 ypp. Montez didn't need to run much this game and Buffs were able to empty the bench vs a conference foe! Beaver QBs were 35% passing. Gary Anderson said the CU corners and CB depth is the best they've faced "by far" - although they haven't faced too much to compare to so far this year.

WVU did have a 422 to 286 yard edge (5.6 - 4.0 ypp). Ertz was just 10 of 30 passing for 166 with a INT. WVU had some O to start ,but a pair of 60y drives resulting in a missed FG and SOD was sandwiched between an INT. After that K ST D held WV to just 49y on their last 3 drives of the 1st half. WVU was just 1 of 6 on 3rd down in 1st half. K St got going with a few drives of 48, 49, 83 kicking FGs from the 20 and 14 with a TD for the 13-0 halftime lead. K St couldn't move the ball in the second half while WVU got things going and even fumbled on the K St 2 yard line. Mountaineer 2nd half yardage was 248 to 98. Shelton Gibson made a great over the shoulder type catch while the DB was ripping off his helmet for 52y late in the 3rd qrt that provided a big spark.

Purdue was held to 205 total yards (2.6 ypp) while Maryland rushed for 400 and had 496 total (7.9).

Nebraska beat ILL 31-16, but it was 13-10 at halftime ILL and 16-10 entering the 4th qrt. Wes Lunt wasn't great, but ILL got some big plays on the ground. Nebraska did kick a short FG and also missed a FG. An Armstrong INT led to a 2nd half closing ILL FG. ILL kicked FGs from the 7, 26, 16 yard lines. Nebraska would score 3 forth quarter TDs while ILL O went three-and-out 3x in the quarter.

UNC led 21-0, but FSU scored 28 of the next 35 pts to tie at 28 all. In the first qrt, FSU K Aguayo missed 2 FGs and had a 3rd blocked. UNC was SOD and fumbled in FSU territory in 1st half (that was only turnover of game). UNC K Weiler had missed a 51y FG and had his PAT blk'd on UNC's final TD prior to lining up for the game winner which was kicked from 54, the announcers had been implying it was well out of his range, but he had distance to spare. That makes back-to-back thrilling comeback wins for Heels. Mitch Trubisky was 81% completion for 400y and a 3-0 ratio! Cook had 246 rushing and receiving yards with 3 TD. UNC coverted 69% 3rd downs!

in the second half Auburn QB John Franklin lll was 1 of 1 for 39y TD passing and ran 2x for 82y with a 80y TD. That won't do anything to quiet some Auburn fans who want to see more of him instead of White. Up 56-7 in the 4th qrt Auburn went on a clock killing 11 minute 17p-71y drive ending SOD at ULM 1. As one would expect Auburn padded all the stats in this one.

Navy - Air Force finished with 42 pts, but it was just 3-0 AF at half. AF had a 430-317 yard advantage. Each team turned it over once in the first qrt on potential scoring drives, but for the game Navy lost 3 TOs to AF's 1. AF only got a FG out of a 2nd qrt blk'd punt where they got the ball on the Navy 12. AF later kicked a FG from the Navy 5 also.

NC ST jumped out 17-0 and 23-3...blowout looked on. It could've been worse as NC St kicked a FG from the 3 after having 1st-and-goal. But with back-to-back three and outs for NC St, WF kept kicking FGs for a 23-9 halftime score. WF hit one big play in the 3rd qrt leading to a TD a few plays later and surpringly it was just a 10 pt game 26-16 Pack. NC St got back over the spread with 6 minutes left in the game and WF put in the backup QB after having been SOD their previous 4th qrt possession at the NC St 34. NC ST had a 527-342, 6.9-5.3 yardage edges.

South Carolina had their best rushing (161), passing yardage (217) output of the year and their second best ypp ouput (5.4), but were outgained 422-378 overall. A&M did have two potential scoring possesions in the first half with a missed FG and failed 4th and 5 att where they got 4y. 7-7 half, then 14-7 Ags and SC missed a FG and Knight fumbled near midfield which was ret'd by SC to the 28 leading to FG. 14-10. Knight was then INT'd on 1st down from SC 38. SC had two 4th qrt possessions end in a missed FG and a made FG. Would qualify as Knight's worst game of the year passing for just 206 (5.2 ypa) with 0 TD and INT, although it was his best compl % game at just 57.5% and ran 12 att for 84y. Orth and McIlwain combined for 60% 172y 0 TD INT and no impact on the ground.

TCU had a 21-7 lead end of 1st qrt with each team losing a turnover leading to an opposing TD. OU took a 35-24 lead at half and later 49-24 into the 4th. It was the first time in 20 years the Soones allowed 21 pts in the 1st qrt. WR Westbrook had a big 2nd qrt with a wide open 67y TD catch on a flea flicker and later a 40y TD. In the 4th TCU would go on a 5p 85y, 10p 75y and 1p 74y TD drives with a 2 pt conversion to make it just 49-46 before OU restarted the offense and got a FG for the final margin. TCU was SOD not threatening at the very end. Frogs only ran for 65y on 29 att, but passed for 26 of 45 for 449y. OU owned a 534-514 yard edge.

Idaho led 6-0 early with a 21 and 42y FG before Troy reeled off 34 straight, settling for FGs from Idaho 7 and 14. Each team threw 2 INTs in opponents territory 530-255, 7.1-3.6 ypp edges for Troy.

ODU scored their most pts, 52, and allowed their fewest, 17, vs a CUSA foe in defeating Charlotte.

NTex QB Fine outpassed Stockstill! Fine was 33 of 54 for 303 1TD OINT to Stockstill's 24 of 45 for 295 2TD INT, but MTSU dominated on the ground 182-5 (4 sacks). MT kicked FGs from the NT 8, 17 and 19 yard lines to go with TD drives of 89 and 86 yards. NT's best drive was their opeing 17p-86y TD drive where they converted three 3rd downs (1 aided by penalty). It was 23-7 early 4th qrt when NT did get to the MT 9 but were SOD. After a punt NT went 10p 37y for a TD, but the 2 pt conversion failed. After recovering the onside kick MT scored on a 46y TD run. 30-13. NT did go 68y on their final possesion with a couple scoring shots from the 7 as time expired. 105 of NT's 308 total yards came on their final 2 drives.

I may get to more later.

The box that really jumped out to me was UCF/East Carolina -- but for the -3 in TOs, it would seem that ECU should have won that game.

14 more First Downs, 150 more yards and lose by 18.....

lots of crazy finishes. but the same things every week: stop being pussies. Dont punt on the other side of the 50 (especially late), dont think u can sit ona 14 point lead for more than 5 mins and stop running your offense, and dont play prevent d.

Last little run down, I'm sure I missed something interesting.

New Mexico ran for 448 yards and 491 total yards (6.8 ypp) to SJ St's 443 (7.9 ypp). NM stretched their lead to 41-20 following a pick-six, but SJ St rallied back to within 7 twice before running out of time when NM recovered their onside kick in the final seconds. Note, this total closed around 52, there were 51 pts at halftime.

On the stat sheet, USF and Cincy were close. 25-21 FD, 44-38% 3rd down, 454-393 TY, 5.6-5.2 ypp all edges for USF who also happened to be +4 in TOs and ret’d an INT 11y for TD late 3rd qrt to stretch the lead to 38-20 at the time, 45-20 final. The biggest advantage for USF was on the ground 226 (4.7)-130(3.7). First half seemingly even, competitive back-and-forth with both teams exchanging leads. 24-20 USF at the break. Then the Bearcats imploded with 2nd half drives resulting in three-and-out, INT, fumble, INT, missed FG and then three final drives totalling 30y and 3 punts. USF capitalized with a pick-six and short field TD drive. Gunner Kiel replaced Trail after the pick-six and was ineffective.

Memphis QB Riley Ferguson started 7 of 7 passing, but for just 4 ypa. Ole Miss got on the board first 7-0, then ret’d an INT for TD and 14-0 first qrt lead. Following a 41y pass play, Memphis answered 14-7. Now 17-7, Memphis did drive to Miss 14 with a 1st down, but would lose yards on three straight plays including 2 sacks (only 2 of game for Miss), and a fumble on the second sack ending their hopes of scoring and leading to a 30y Miss TD drive. 24-7 and a 272-194 yard Miss advantage at halftime. Mem did most of their damage in the second half, including TD drives of 75, 99 and 80 yards, but Miss still had a 352-308 second half yard edge as Rebels did plenty of scoring as well. Memphis lost 4 TOs to Miss’ 1. Despite the 48-28 loss, Memphis was capable of moving the ball on the landsharks. Miss had two 100y rushers.

Utah had the would-be winning TD go off the TE’s hands on the second to last play of the game from the Cal 1. Utah actually had 7 shots from inside the 10 thanks to PI on 4th down. Utah outgained Cal 442-362 (held Cal 230 yards under their season avg 594 entering this game). Utah’s yards came on 97 plays good for 4.6 ypp to Cal’s 7.4 ypp. Utes had 30-17 FD advantage and 42-18 minute TOP. 245 of Utah’s 442 yards came on the final 4 drives of the game. Two of those drives got into the RZ yet did not produce pts.

UTEP outgained LT 415-387, had 3 more first downs and were equally efficient on 3rd down yet lost 28-7. The difference appears to be UTEP had empty drives get to the LT 30 (INT), 13 (end of 1st half following 42y pass), 22 (SOD) and 1 (fumble).

FIU threw 2 INTs leading directly to 10 FAU pts (4p 7y drive for FG and 30y pick-six), but FIU capitalized on a FAU fumble with a 1 play 26y TD run (missed pat). FIU had a 469-328 yard and 25-17 first down edges. Panthers killed the final 6 minutes hanging onto the 33-31 win.

Rice QB Sterling was 14 of 18, but just for 100y (67y came on 4 plays). SMiss had a 320-131 first half yardage edge. SMiss had a 34-14 lead entering the 4th qrt and only won 44-28. It could’ve been worse, but SM fumbled at the Rice 3, kicked a FG from the Rice 6 following a 78y drive, kicked a FG from the Rice 25 following a 72y drive, fumbled at the Rice 37 and in the 4th kicked a FG from the Rice 26 following a 56y drive and ended the game on the Rice 6 following a 48y drive. Over 1/3 of Rice’s yards came late 3rd / early 4th qrt. SM was –3 TO.

WYO QB Allen completed just 7 of 18 passes for 166y. Allen ran for 55 on 10 att and Hill lead with 166 on 19 att. CSU actually led 14-3. After WYO went on a 84y TD drive, they got a fumble and 1 play later a 30y TD pass for the 17-14 Cowboy lead. Right before half WYO got a 55y pick-six for a 24-14 lead, CSU was able to drive 51y in under 1 minute for a 36y FG. 24-17. WYO was SOD at the 22 and CSU missed a FG from the 6. WYO added two 3rd qrt TDs. For the game CSU outgained WYO 481-434, but was –3 TOs. Fr QB Colin Hill passed for career high 370y (57%). Three of CSU’s final four drives were three-and-out.

rFr Dalton Sneed’s first start for UNLV saw him pass for just 8 of 16 for 129, but he did damage with his legs rushing for 147. 91 yards is credited to 1 run, but actually he ran further than that as he was scrambling in his own EZ and had a fantastic highlight reel TD run evading Fresno tacklers.

Hawaii broke a 9 game conference losing streak dating back to 2014 with a 38-17 win over Nevada. It was actually 38-3 UH before the QB fumbled at Nev 35. Dru Brown got his first start and led UH to 566 total yards (9.8 ypp). Brown was 15 of 18 passing for 222 and also rushed for 31. UH receivers made some nice catches on some less than perfect balls to help out Brown’s completion %. Diocemy Saint Juste ran for 205. Nevada generated 397 yards (5.3 ypp) and four drives gaining over 60y, those drives were SOD, FG and in the 4th qrt 2 TDs.

I enjoy everyone else's threads, it's good I contribute something.

Back