Could Cleveland win 70 games?

IvyinBarondise

Pretty much a regular
I know they're not gonna ride Lebron hard enough...but realistically, if their only goal this season was to secure HCA throughout and assuming that someone out west is gonna come out with 62-63...they could go on some hilarious runs.

a 20-1 run isn't out of the question... They don't really have a shot blocker to protect the rim, but they cant be matched in scoring. Not even close. I don't see them losing many games to Eastern Conference teams this coming season. I think 70 is a legit possibility. I mean remember, Cleveland won like 66 giving James a high school team to play with lol

I think your first sentence is why they won't reach 70. Lebron should start to see some decreased minutes and some off days, but man the east is pretty bad

What is the o/u on them?

I can see them losing 6-7 early on as the team gels..then get ridic after ASG

More seriously, they're going to bank a lot of wins. Lebron's played with Irving and Love before in international play and camps, etc. He's played with a couple of these other guys in NBA seasons. Loves Andy. Everyone will have to get used to Blatt, but from what I've read he's a chameleon of a coach who taps into the players' strengths rather than always forcing a particular system. I think the "gel process" will be short to non-existent. It's not rocket science.

Side note, has a first time NBA coach ever fallen into a better situation than this?

No, they can't win 70 games. Most insiders and NBA-type people don't even realistically expect them to win 60 games.

Side note, has a first time NBA coach ever fallen into a better situation than this?

Phil Jackson lucked into a future dynasty taking over the Bulls before the 89-90 season and had MJ and a baby Pippen and Horace Grant handed to him. John Kundla took over the Minneapolis Lakers before the 48-49 season and when the Chicago American Gears folded he beat everybody to the punch and signed George Mikan who then lead the Lakers to 5 Titles in the next 6 seasons. Only season they didn't win it was when Mikan broke an ankle... Kundla believe it or not is still alive.

No, they can't win 70 games. Most insiders and NBA-type people don't even realistically expect them to win 60 games.

Won't win 70 but I will gladly take any action that they go over 59.9 wins. East is bad and the only challenger they have is the Bulls.

An early playoff exit.

The East is bad from an overall talent perspective, but the conference is full of scrappy defensive teams. All the Cavs really did was improve an already potent offense while actually getting worse defensively.

An early playoff exit.

The East is bad from an overall talent perspective, but the conference is full of scrappy defensive teams. All the Cavs really did was improve an already potent offense while actually getting worse defensively.

In LeBron they added one of the top 5 best defensive players in the league...I bet they finish better than last season's 107.7 defensive efficiency. The Pacers are DOA and the Bobcats or Wizards aren't going to knock them out of the playoffs...the Bulls maybe if D Rose can get back to his old self but that's about it.

In LeBron they added one of the top 5 best defensive players in the league...I bet they finish better than last season's 107.7 defensive efficiency. The Pacers are DOA and the Bobcats or Wizards aren't going to knock them out of the playoffs...the Bulls maybe if D Rose can get back to his old self but that's about it.

The Raptors!...well i can only hope just cause I wouldn't of been saying this 2 seasons ago :-/

There is only so much Bron can do by himself.

In Miami he had above average defenders around him. IN Cleveland, he will have 3 turnstyles to play with. Marion is a step up, but he cant chase those wing guys around like he used to. I think he was signed to appease Blatt. Blatt is going to have his hands full trying to figure out what to do with Love, Waiters and Irving in the starting line-up. Maybe we'll see a Run TMC type of game and just outscore everyone.

think i heard he took it a step forward, he said he was the best all around player alive

There is only so much Bron can do by himself.

In Miami he had above average defenders around him. IN Cleveland, he will have 3 turnstyles to play with. Marion is a step up, but he cant chase those wing guys around like he used to. I think he was signed to appease Blatt. Blatt is going to have his hands full trying to figure out what to do with Love, Waiters and Irving in the starting line-up. Maybe we'll see a Run TMC type of game and just outscore everyone.

now called the Clippers defense..

Considering niether Irving or Love have shown the ability to play winning basketball in their careers.... Absolutely not. Love is an somewhat lazy person who dogs on defense. Irving is the worst off the ball shooter in the entire league and regressed big time last year. The rest of the misfits on the Cavs have issues like FT shooting, etc. Don't let the media fool you Bosh with his elite defense and unselfish style of play is a better all around player than Love who put up rediculous numbers on a team that couldn't stop anyone and had a lot of talent.

Considering niether Irving or Love have shown the ability to play winning basketball in their careers.... Absolutely not. Love is an somewhat lazy person who dogs on defense. Irving is the worst off the ball shooter in the entire league and regressed big time last year. The rest of the misfits on the Cavs have issues like FT shooting, etc. Don't let the media fool you Bosh with his elite defense and unselfish style of play is a better all around player than Love who put up rediculous numbers on a team that couldn't stop anyone and had a lot of talent.

I think you are the one who is getting fooled...... Love is going to dominate at his position (because he now knows he has legit help)just because they played on a team that was built (no fault of their own ) to be garbage doesnt make him not a winner... he gets alot of his rebounds because he is smart and knows how to position himself. he also didnt play for a coach at any time that emphasized defense....you will see how productive on both ends of the floor he will be.....irving might have been a bad off the ball shooter but lets see what happens this year when he wont be double teamed and doesnt have to do all the work by himself... btw he wlll be handling the pg duties and when not he will be set up to knock down the open jump shots...

you have some much negativity on these guys and the suns...

offense wins nowadays anyways..see san antonio

S.A. won because they played a solid team defense and capitalize on turnovers created by their D - it enabled them to have many open shots...

I think you are the one who is getting fooled...... Love is going to dominate at his position (because he now knows he has legit help)just because they played on a team that was built (no fault of their own ) to be garbage doesnt make him not a winner... he gets alot of his rebounds because he is smart and knows how to position himself. he also didnt play for a coach at any time that emphasized defense....you will see how productive on both ends of the floor he will be.....irving might have been a bad off the ball shooter but lets see what happens this year when he wont be double teamed and doesnt have to do all the work by himself... btw he wlll be handling the pg duties and when not he will be set up to knock down the open jump shots...

you have some much negativity on these guys and the suns...

Love should take some blame for Minny being as bad as they were. He was the best player on the team, but refused to play defense and basically do anything to help the team win other than to pad his stats. His rebounds are grossly inflated. He is a good rebounder, but the guy constantly leaks to the glass before the opposing team even puts up a shot. Every coach in the league stresses defense, hell even D'Antoni asks for a little D once in a while.

Love should take some blame for Minny being as bad as they were. He was the best player on the team, but refused to play defense and basically do anything to help the team win other than to pad his stats. His rebounds are grossly inflated. He is a good rebounder, but the guy constantly leaks to the glass before the opposing team even puts up a shot. Every coach in the league stresses defense, hell even D'Antoni asks for a little D once in a while.

not saying he should shoulder no blame, it is a team game, you win and lose as a team, however the starting five had no chance of stopping a jcc pick up team on defense, they were built to score 110.... but lets get back to the thread title... 70 is a lot of games....i wouldnt touch that number,,58.5 was the first total i had seen, i doubt any of us will see that number,, probably 60.5.....

I personally think Under 58.5 is a gift but will wait until hopefully this number goes up to 59/60. Think back to Lebron's first year in Miami. If I recall they started 8-9 or something like that learning each other and killed the over within the first 20 games and I think that will happen here with what amounts to a brand new team.

I'll take the Under when the time is right.

I think they will win between 60 and 70. I think they will have less growing pains bc they team has been constructed better; not necessarily more talented. Lebron/Wade both play the same way so it took time for them to figure it out. With Cleveland, he has someone that can actually play the point and there are 2 great players that want to play the same way/be at the same spots on the court. Love gives them more than Bosh did. They have a couple bangers in Thompson and Andy. They have another guy that can score in Waiters. Then they have 2 vets to mix in with Miller/Marion.

^
very well said/ written
agree on all points... The pg position and the wade comment are spot on...

Back