Comprehensive South Carolina Post Spring Breakdown (DEFENSE)

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
2 part series here. Glad to be talking about CFB again. Hope to get Offense up sometime soon.

*I listed the players I can see logging snaps. This side of the ball is pretty deep for the Gamecocks if everyone is back in school, staying out of trouble, and healthy. Some players I went into more depth about just because I had more to say.

Defense:

I will be the first to admit, I expected the unit to be good, I went as far as to say that this was going to be one of the best defenses Carolina had in a long time. I based a large part of my “Over 7 Wins” wager on the defense which was supposed to be the glue that held the team together. Things began to unravel before the opening week. Jordin Lindsey (DE) was ruled ineligible. His twin brother Dustin (LB) had another setback from a knee injury during the spring game. During the spring and summer, Casper Brinkley spent time adjusting to life at OLB, when Lindsey was ruled ineligible, he was moved back to DE to try and help the team. That move alone in turn weakened the linebacker corps. Jasper had a bad ankle that he rolled in practice and it was bothering him for long periods of the ULL game. The team went into the UGAY game, and besides a late 50yard run by Moreno, they basically shut that offense down. Things would only go south from there, wayyyyyyy south. Nathan Pepper (DL/DE) would be lost against SC State returning a turnover for a touchdown. It was a freak accident where he slipped trying to slow down in the endzone but he was performing the best on the DL at the time. Jasper Brinkley tears his LCL in the 1<SUP>st</SUP> quarter of the LSU game, he tried hard to keep playing throughout the game but was only a shadow of his former self. Later in the season, Captain Munnerlyn (CB) broke his foot against Arkansas and would be lost vs. Florida and Clemson. Carlos Thomas and Stoney Woodson, both corners, would be lost late in the Clemson game, only to leave a true frosh covering Aaron Kelly on 3<SUP>rd</SUP> and 15 in the 4<SUP>th</SUP> quarter. Brandon Issac was basically lost before the season started because of a shoulder that plagued a talented DB. Every team has injuries, yes. The difference at South Carolina is when Jasper Brinkley goes down, his backup was an undersized MLB in Marvin Sapp or a true frosh in Melvin Ingram. When other schools such as UGA and LSU are redshirting their blue-chip prospects on defense, South Carolina is playing Cliff Matthews out of position at OLB with a cast on his hand and Ladi Ajiboye at DT vs. SEC linemen. When Jasper Brinkley goes down with a season ending injury they are replacing him with an experienced upper classmen nearly as talented where as SC is placing a True Frosh in his position. Regardless of all of these problems, the team still did not perform to the level necessary to win in the SEC-East and the defense/special teams cost SC 2 games late in the year.

Change in Philosophy:

With Tyrone Nix departure, in come Ellis Johnson, formerly of Miss St and a large part of the reason that they even made a bowl game in 2007, it sure wasn’t the offense. I didn’t dislike Nix but I had a HUGE problem with his lack of aggressiveness on 3<SUP>rd</SUP> and long situations. This wasn’t something that happened just against Clemson, no, this is something I’ve witnessed with my own eyes too many times to recall. He also came up with some very clever defenses to try and stop Arkansas and UF such as 2 down linemen (joke). Ellis Johnson brings the same type of standard defensive approach in that the 4-3 will remain the base defense but he is more aggressive and that should benefit SC who should be able to play man coverage on the outside. Spurrier was going to hire Johnson originally when he came to SC, 4years late he has his man.

Defensive Line:

SDE: Jordin Lindsey – 5<SUP>th</SUP> year Senior, missed 2007 because of Academics. He knows the game of football and is very discipline w/ a lot of starting experience. Not the most talented player in the world but he makes up for that with football smarts and other intangibles like a motor that never stops.

WDE: Cliff Matthews – True Sophomore, he spent 2007 at OLB just so they could get him on the field. The staff felt like he was too talented to be on the sideline and w/ Casper Brinkley & Norwood playing DE, he wouldn’t be out there much, if at all. He also was only 230lbs last year, not nearly big enough to get around a LT. On top of all that, he broke his hand the week of the LSU game and played the remainder of the season with a cast on. From the start, this is said to be his natural position. Coming out of HS, he was rated the #3 WDE in the country, Carlos Dunlap (UF) was #1. Both should impact the SEC-East this year. He is cat quick and was timed in the 4.5’s during the winter. He is growing into his body at 6’5 250 but still looks lean and has a great first step at DE.

DE: Cliff Geathers – True Sophomore, will see the field, more of a work in progress because at 6’8 290, he has not grown into himself yet. He still could be a year away from being very good but is talented enough to contribute this year. Brother of Robert Geathers from the Bengals so good football runs in the family.

DE/DT: Travian Robertson – True Sophomore, the coaches are trying to figure out where to put him, he is more of a hybrid and can play either position. Physically he is very big and strong but as most True Frosh are, he was lost on the field last year. He will be in the rotation for sure this year although the coaches did consider RS him and moving him to full time DT during Spring. With the suspension of Kenrick Ellis and 1 less body on the DL, he will be heavily involved in the rotation.

DE/DT: Jonathan Williams – Senior, spent 2007 as his first year at SC coming from Juco. He is big enough to play DT and quick enough to play DE but likely will spend most of his time at DT. He showed flashes of good things last year but has to get more consistent.

DT: Ladi Ajiboye – True Sophomore, started nearly every game at DT, and really held his own. Should only get better as he gets stronger/more experienced. He is really 3years removed from HS because he attended Hargrave along w/ Cliff Geathers. I don’t have much else to say about him but he is the best DT as of now on the team.

DT: Marque Hall – 5<SUP>th</SUP> Year Senior. He was the best DL going into the 2006 season, he then tore his ACL. I was under the impression coming into 2007 that he was 100% and he was not. Now its reported that he is doing much better but I will take a wait and see approach with that. If he can return to form, it only helps Carolina that much more.

DT: Nathan Pepper – Junior. After it was apparent that Marque Hall was not 100%, Nathan began to lead the DL and although it was only 3 games, he was doing a hell of a job at DT. Then slowing down in the endzone in a freak accident, he tore his MCL vs. SC State and would be lost for the year. He was held out of contact during the Spring and at that point was not yet 100%. His health is very important to this defense though.

How I see the Depth Chart:

SDE- J. Lindsey / C. Geathers
DT: Ladi Ajiboye / Jonathon Williams
DT: Maque Hall / Nathan Pepper
WDE- C. Matthews / Travian Robertson

*With full health from Hall and Pepper, you would see a deep rotation at DT because they can all compete in the SEC. Kenrick Ellis (DT) was released from the team on 5/28 for failing his 4<SUP>th</SUP> drug test, he would of also been heavily involved in the DT rotation and given them even more depth, he had a lot of talent and it’s a big loss of a big body (6’5 350). There is a player who is expected to come in during the summer sessions, Jarriel King, who is a monster size wise (6’8 300) and was part of Spurrier’s 2005 class but has yet to make it into SC. He will get an immediate look at DE/DT if he does in fact finally make it to SC this summer. He was at Georgia Military Academy in the 2006 and 2007 season before being released from the team in 2007. He had 12 credits to finish up, he was suppose to be on pace to do so, who the hell really knows. He would be a nice addition but I am not counting him in the depth chart until I see he actually stepped foot on campus.

Linebackers:

WLB: Eric Norwood – Junior, 1<SUP>st</SUP> team all SEC in 2007 at DE. This move alone tells me some very important facts about what the coaches are thinking. They are willing to switch Norwood, a 1<SUP>st</SUP> team ALL-SEC performer with Matthews who they have a tremendous amount of confidence in to make the defense better. Norwood played a lot of plays as a standup and he dropped into some coverage last yr, he will still come off the edge in some passing situations, something he excels at, but he will also be free of a blocker as he tries to make the tackles. This moved surprised me at first, but he is better fit for this position, as is Cliff at DE.

MLB: Jasper Brinkley – 5<SUP>th</SUP> year Senior, 1<SUP>st</SUP> team all SEC in 2006 at MLB. Everyone knows, he was lost for the season vs. LSU. He was diagnosed with a torn LCL but from what I gathered, the ligament didn’t actually tear, it tore off the bone. I am no medical professional, that is just what I read. Needless to say, he was running around at a solid 270lbs and very very close to 100% in spring. He participated in everything except full contact drills and with another 4 months before the season, the rock of the defense will be more than 100%. I can’t say I will enjoy watching him tackle people though, I will cringe every time I see someone go near his knees. He CAN NOT be lost again.

SLB: Gerrord Sinclair – Junior, he has had injuries slow his career at SC down but the best word for Sinclair is solid. He doesn’t do anything great as far as hit-tackle-cover, but he doesn’t do anything bad either. He is solid at what he does provided, he can stay healthy and it appears he might finally be. This is an upgrade of anyone playing OLB last year.

MLB: Melvin Ingram, Sophomore – This is the future at MLB. The next Jasper but “more talented” as many have put it. Ellis Johnson went as far as to say he wants to design a package for Brinkley-Matthews-Ingram-Norwood to all be on the field together. He was lost last year because he could of used a RS year but physically speaking, he is ready. He broke his foot at the end of Spring but will be ready to go for fall camp.

OLB: Alonzo Winfield, RS Frosh – Ran one of the fastest times in the 40 over the winter on the team. At 220lbs, he is a smaller LB than the 4 previously listed but is very fast and covers a lot of ground. He will be on the field in passing situations because of his quickness. He is also a good tackler despite being undersized.

OLB: Rodney Paulk, Junior – He started 9-10 games as a frosh, then saw his playing time cut back last year, at this point, I can’t see him over taking Sinclair at OLB, has a lot of starting experience.

MLB: Marvin Sapp, Senior – Undersized at his position and plays behind the beast so its probably a good thing if he doesn’t see the field much, has a lot of starting experience.

How I see the Depth Chart:

WLB: Eric Norwood / Alonzo Winfield
MLB: Jasper Brinkley / Melvin Ingram / Marvin Sapp
SLB: Gerrod Sinclair / Rodney Paulk

*How good can this unit be? It all depends on #52. One thing is for sure, Norwood-Brinkley-Ingram need to lose some LB’s, all of which hover around 265-270lbs. Jasper is the leanest of them all and doesn’t have any fat but the other 2 are currently on slim fast.

Defensive Backs:

CB: Captain Munnerlyn, Junior – 1<SUP>st</SUP> team all SEC in 2007. Is small (5’9) but very fast (4.3) and has started since playing as a TF in the SEC. He is a lockdown corner. He broke his foot vs. Arkansas, sat out spring, will be 100% by fall. Also is punt returner

CB: Carlos Thomas, Senior – I dislike this kid, I won’t lie about it. He is fast and he is talented but he lacks that organ in his chest. He bulked up last year and got better about shying away from contact but he can be hit or miss as far as showing up to play. He has a WHOLE lot to prove this year in my mind.

CB: Stoney Woodson, Senior – As the same procedure as last year, he is in full competition at CB with Thomas for the spot opposite Munnerlyn. Which ever loses this battle will still ber very fast and very experienced as a backup. Stoney is better against the run, Carlos can be better against the pass but isn’t always consistent because his battle is with his head.

CB: Addison Williams, Sophomore – Not much to say here, played as a frosh due to injuries, he is pretty solid, is quick, but it was clear he shouldn’t of been covering Aaron Kelly

CB: Akeeme Aguste, Freshman – This kid is ultra talented. He is very quick, he has great instincts, and a lot of confidence. He is actually 2years removed from HS as he attended prep school and he had a very impressive spring. His biggest weakness would be his ability to get physical and stop the run. He will have a very successful career at CB if all remains well with him. I can see him getting some time in nickel/dime coverages this year.

Depth Chart:

CB: Captain Munnerlyn / AddisonWilliams
CB: Carlos Thomas / Stoney Woodson / Akeeme Aguste

S: Emanuel Cook, Junior – 2<SUP>nd</SUP> team all SEC in 2007. He is a head hunter, most likely the best tackler on the team and a true warrior on the field. Cook came back 9 days after having his appendix taking out to play against UGA. He is a ball hog and this is going to be his 3<SUP>rd</SUP> year starting in the SEC.

S: Darian Stewart, Junior – He is a little bigger and a little faster than Cook but also an excellent tackler. He won over the starting spot vs. UGA last season when he had a career high 9 tackles. He is very physical and has good speed.

S: Chris Culliver, Sophomore – The highly touted Culliver just could not grasp the offense and route running so he asked to be moved to this side of the ball in the spring. He is very natural playing this position compared to how he looked at WR. He is however not going to over take Cook or Stewart but provides solid depth and great speed.

S: Mark Barnes, Sophomore – He was rated as a very good Safety coming out of HS but there were concerns about his shoulder being able to deliver hits on defense. He began his career at WR but also requested to move to Safety during the spring. This is a very natural position for him as well. Another player who provides very solid depth.

Depth Chart:

S: Emanuel Cook / Chris Culliver
S: Darian Stewart / Mark Barnes

*The Defensive back unit as a whole should be very solid this year. As a passing defense in 2007, they did very well when all healthy and playing together. I love how physical Cook/Stewart are and Captain is a stud at CB.

Rivals Rankings of Defensive players in America:

Jasper Brinkley - #5 LB
Eric Norwood - #11 LB
Emanuel Cook - #9 DB
Captain Munnerlyn - #13 DB

Conclusion:

How healthy can this defense stay? If they make the year without any serious injuries, I can see them being ranked inside the top 25 or better as a total defense. Its easy to say the rush defense was terrible (12<SUP>th</SUP> in SEC) last year but I don’t feel that it is a fair assessment, especially when #52 and company are not on the field. Comparing the defense from last year (specifically the last 5 games of the year) to the potential of this one is like night and day. I think that all Carolina Fans will believe Ellis Johnson is an upgrade at DC and he has a lot more talent to work with this year than he had at MSU last year. They are still a bit young at some positions but they are also very experienced at every position and there is a lot more experienced depth as compared to years past. There is a lot of talent on defense and potentially speaking, there are 4 players who are 1<SUP>st</SUP>-team ALL-SEC caliber guys. The defense should keep them in every game as well.

Last edited:
This is fucking fantastic stuff ETG. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I printed it out and I'm sure I'll read through it a dozen times or so before Week 1.

Good thing they got a new DC...now they've got the potential for a great year. Seems like a scary group, especially that LB corps and secondary...

You guys are half right...

Jasper Brinkley coming back at 100% is the best thing to happen, Ellis Johnson is a close 2nd

I've heard whispers that the SC coaching staff would like Brinkley to be 250-260ish...ETG have you heard anything about this and what do you think the effect of this weight loss is going to be?

Also, with being overweight as teh coaching staff concerns are i wonder if it is his diet or from being on that injury not being able to excersize like he was before.

I've heard whispers that the SC coaching staff would like Brinkley to be 250-260ish...ETG have you heard anything about this and what do you think the effect of this weight loss is going to be?

Also, with being overweight as teh coaching staff concerns are i wonder if it is his diet or from being on that injury not being able to excersize like he was before.

No doubt coaching staff wants Brinkley to drop some pounds,At the start of Spring he was 270+ lbs. I think he was around 265 at the end of spring. He is massive though and he doesn't have much fat at all. He could never get down to 250 and he played last year around 260. I think ideally they would like to see him back down to 260 range. Kid has abs so he doesn't have much fat to lose.

Now, With Norwood, the other LB, and Ingram, a backup MLB, they are both also around 270 and they have fat to lose. They should of been on some kind of diet/exercise plan at the end of Spring all the way to fall camp, both of these guys needs to get into the 255-260 range.

This was an amazing read. Like D , i have also printed this thing out.

Any update on munnerlyn progress ?

OFFENSE

I am not even sure where to exactly start here since every segment of the offense will be going through intense battles all the way up to the first game. As mentioned before, SC was 6-1 and than fell to 6-6, what alot of people miss is when this slide actually happened. It was not the Vandy game, it was the 2nd half of the UNC game. I do not know what the hell happened in that locker room but it was obviously very very bad. Up 21-3 on the road after racking up 226yds and 21pts, the Gamecocks ended the 2nd half w/ 0 points-58yds-7possessions-5punts and ended up nearly losing the game. Then came the Vandy game where they would go another 4 quarters without a touchdown while turning the ball over 4x. Then came Tennessee in which the 1st half the Gamecocks were held out of the endzone for the 8th consecutive quarter. They would go on to have nearly 200 more yards and 15 more first downs than Tennessee but they would turn it over 4 more times and end up on the losing side of the game. So, in reality, the slide really started vs. UNC and just picked up speed as the year went on and more problems arose.

Quarterback(s):

Tommy Beecher (JR.): Spurrier named him the starter after spring, I will get to that in a bit. He threw for 175yds last year. He is a very smart kid. As you can see, I don't have much to say about him, if he is in fact the QB, I see him more of a manager at QB rather than your big-time high profile QB. Maybe I am cutting him short, but how can I make a real assessment after 25 passing attempts?

Chris Smelley (R-Soph): He went 4-2 as a starter but really lost his shit in the Vandy game and in turn, his job at QB. Smelley I can tell you a little more about. The scoop is that against ULL, he was blindsided, hurt his shoulder, and had off-season shoulder surgery. He was not 100% yet in spring, will be by the season. Anyway, now that I got that out of the way, I think his arm is weak. Was it because of the nagging shoulder injury? I don't really know. He had trouble w/ his confidence last year, with telegraphing his throws, with making dumb decisions which all R-Frosh will do and with making throws like the deep out. Now that I've just ripped the kid, I think he has more upside than Beecher. He has game experience in the SEC. He knows the game of football and can be a little more than a manager.

Stephen Garcia (R-Fr): Not even sure why I am including him here but as of now he is suspended until Aug 15th. If he completed the neccessary requirements, he will be back before then, say Aug 1st. All anyone knows about him is that he has a laser rocket arm, he is not suppose to manage the game for you, he is suppose to win it for you.

Experience: Smelley / Beecher / Garcia
Arm: Garcia / Beecher / Smelley
Brains: Beecher / Smelley / Garcia
Mobility: Garcia / Beecher / Smelley

They are all about 6'2 - 220lbs

*Now, back to Beecher naming the starter. For Spurrier this works both ways. He names Beecher the starter, he will be motivated in the offseason to keep his job. He names Smelley the backup and he will be motivated to win the job. This all sets up for a huge battle in the 1st two weeks of Summer for the job. Garcia, I think if he made it back, won't have any significance until later in the season. Now, it could be that I have not seen enough of Beecher and I am cutting him short but it is my belief, Smelley will start vs. NCST. I do think the offense has enough talent that none of the QB's have to be superstars, they have to be smart, play mistake free, and take what is given by the defense. Spurrier can draw up plays that work all day, its just a matter of executing them.

Running Back:

Mike Davis (Sr): He is a between the tackles kind of guy, runs hard, not really any break away speed, can catch out of backfield but he is not a 1-man show. He needs a RB to compliment him. He has to become 1 of the leaders of the offense, bottom line.

Brian Maddox (So): He is of the same kind of mold as Cory Boyd. He has no experience at RB but was highly touted out of HS and is expected to become part of the thick of things at RB.

Eric Baker (Fr): Spent 2007 at prep school, he offers a little more elusiveness and quickness compared to the other 2. He showed flashes of good things in the spring, how will that translate, I don't know but he will get a shot at playing.

*Cory Boyd was awsome, not only because he was from Jersey, but because he was the emotional leader of this team who played with 110% every play. He will be missed but there is some talent here and Mike Davis has a ton of playing experience. One of the young guys needs to step up though and become the #2 in the 1-2 combo. An improved offensive line will go a long way to helping the RB's and QB

Tight Ends:

Jared Cook (Jr): He is a physical specimen at 6'5-250 and sub 4.5 speed. He is a huge matchup problem for defenses and he should improve on his 30-421-3 season from last year. This imo, is the #2 go-to guy in the passing game behind McKinnley. Now, the problem with him, how good does he block? Can he block good enough to play every down at TE? That is something the coaches are constantly working on and he should def. be better at doing it this yr but Andy Boyd (graduation) was really one of the better blockers on the OL last year so Cook needs to step up.

Weslye Saunders (So): He is most famous for breaking a 48yd run vs. Kentucky on a crossing route and getting the ball knocked out from behind. He is big (6'5-270) but very very nimble on his feet with very good hands. Because he is so talented along with Cook, SC is working on a lot of 2-TE sets. When on the field with Cook, he becomes the #3 go-to-guy in the passing offense. He too must prove that he can block opposing DE's though.

*If we are talking matchups in the passing game, these 2 guys are hell for any defense when they are out there together. Both of them should be very productive in the passing game but there still remains questions about how good they can block.

Wide Receivers:

Kenny McKinley (Sr): I just want to say that Kenny has been great at SC. He came here never having played a down of WR and was just nominated to the Play Boy Preseason AA team. He is going to leave SC as the career leader in receptions and yards.

2005: 25-291-1
2006: 51-880-5
2007: 77-968-9

He can play

Moe Brown (Jr): His first two years at SC have been tough in terms of grasping the offense but from the reports, things look to be moving a lot faster for Moe. He is a deep threat in the passing game with enough speed to stretch the defense.

Dion Lecorn (So): I was pleased with Lecorn coming on at the end of the season. He is a very polished route runner with good hands, decent speed, and he can block, which is what got him on the field in the first place. He is not a deep threat.

Larry Freeman (Sr): Possession WR, big body, had a good spring so he could be getting worked into the rotation a little more. He is a JUCO in his 2nd year and just was not comfortable in the offense last yr.

Joseph Hills (RS-Fr): Big WR at 6'4, coaches were/are real high on him.

Jason Barnes (RS-Fr): Another big WR who will get a chance to play.

*SC has a lot of different players looking to get on the field to catch passes and they all bring something different to the game. If the light turned on for Moe Brown like the reports are saying, that will only help free McKinley up even more. He should def. go over 1k this year and with Cook and Saunders causing matchup problems, it will be tough to double him, in which case, he will be open. There is a lot of talent to work with here and production should improve over last year.

Offensive Line:

Back in 2006, Spurrier brough in a recruiting class that looked like this:

Garrett Anderson (4*)
Hutch Eckerson (4*)
Kevin Young (4*)
Seaver Brown (3*)
Heath Batchelor (3*)

Garrett Anderson (Jr): He has played every position on the OL but injuries have kept him from reaching his true potential. He has started as a frosh and a soph and would put up combine-numbers that would make someone shake their head but again injuries have hurt him and he missed half of spring with a back injury that is suppose to be 100% by summer. Something to keep an eye on though. He is scheduled to play Center

Hutch Eckerson (R-So): Now that he has gained the strength needed to play Tackle in the SEC, look for him to become a mainstay on the OL. He started 5 games as a TF in the SEC and took a RS year last year. The coaches are really impressed with his footwork and he is going to start the season at LT, more on that later.

Kevin Young (R-So): I will be surprised if he ever plays at SC. Injuries have plagued him and he has a shoulder that just won't stay 100%.

Seaver Brown (R-So): He started 6 games at LG last season, he did an OK job, his position is not solidified yet.

Heath Batchelor (R-So): He is going to start at RG and he was solid at the end of the year.

*So from that highly touted group of OL who all now are going onto their 3rd year in college, atleast 3 of them need to step up and be consistently solid. I think Anderson-Eckerson-Batchelor are capable of that.

Jamon Meredith (Sr): He has 29 starts under his belt but was not as impressive as he could/should of been last season. He is the LT however he can not play the 1st two games of the year, therefore, Hutch Eckerson is starting at LT. Now, if Eckerson holds down the LT spot in the first two games, the coaches will have a big decision to make and early indications are that they would consider moving one of the two to RT.

Justin Sorensen (Sr): He has 18 starts on the OL however, he is one OL I am far from impressed with. Big body, yes, but he is not a RT and he has slow feet. Is the answer moving him to guard? Maybe. If Eckerson is holding down the tackle spot in the 1st two games, Sorensen is going to be out of a job, bottom line.

Quentin Richardson (R-Fr): Coaches really like his footwork, he is a very talented young man who is a Tackle but because he is talented and Spurrier wants his best 5 OL on the field, he is getting a look at LG.

Lemuel Jeanpierre (Jr): He switched over from DL to OL before the season last year and it was not that smooth of a transition but he did start 4 games at guard. Now with another year of being able to work on the OL, he is also in competition for a spot at guard and could be the one that wins the battle.

*So to sum it all up, there are 9 players with a legit shot at 5 positions. If everyone is healthy and able to play, here is the ideal OL in WK3 when everyone is back: Meredith-Jeanpierre(Richardson)-Anderson-Batchelor-Eckerson.
There is a lot of talent to work with here but I can not stress how important it is for the OL to come together as a unit before the first game. I hate that Meredith has to sit the 1st two games because I would really like to see the OL start to gel right away. This is going to be a very very intense battle for the 5 spots on the OL and it is far from decided. If Anderson's back is acting up, that will move Seaver Brown to Center. The success of the offense starts with the OL and they certainly have the talent to be effective but its a matter of ironing it all out in the summer and not switching the line after every game.

Special Teams:

The single most important thing about this group is the addition of Ray Rychleski as the coordinator, he also is coaching TE's and Spurrier flat out loves the way this guy coaches. In 7years at Maryland, he never had 1 punt blocked. SC had 3 blocked in their last 2 games and Clemson directly scored 10 points off their 2 blocked punts. ST as a whole, should no long lose SC any games (Tenn/Clem) and I expect it to improve 10-fold.

Chris Culliver will return K.O, he has a ton of speed.

Captain Munneryln will field punts, he has a ton of speed.

Ryan Succop will handle kickoffs and field goals. He has a very very long leg but he cracks under pressure, hopefully that changes. He served as the punter last year as well but Coach Ray is looking to change that this year, he wants him to focus just on kicking.

Mods, when you get a chance can you change the title to

"Comprehensive South Carlina Post Spring Breakdown"

Back