Colts vs Ravens line is out!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Supersav
  • Start date Start date
The core of the Ravens defense is their linebackers, no secret there. Their secondary however is not that great. I have been watching the Carolina/Baltimore game and I really think Manning will exploit that Ravens secondary more so than Delhomme did. The addition of Sanders now will just help Indy stop the run as well. Not sure if this goes over 4. I think the line is fair @ 3-3.5. If this ML gets higer than +200, its worth a play.

Disagree, SN, I think 4 is the right line, I think 3 is the wrong line. But I think this is going to spin us back into the same argument. I think you're looking at it from the side of the bettor and I'm looking at it from the side of the book.

I want more action and I think -4 does that better than -3. The three is a push for Baltimore folk and not as attractive to Indy people. The four brings in even more Indy money and makes people step out a little bit on the home, rested favorite Ravens.

Austintx_05 said:
The core of the Ravens defense is their linebackers, no secret there. Their secondary however is not that great. I have been watching the Carolina/Baltimore game and I really think Manning will exploit that Ravens secondary more so than Delhomme did. The addition of Sanders now will just help Indy stop the run as well. Not sure if this goes over 4. I think the line is fair @ 3-3.5. If this ML gets higer than +200, its worth a play.
Baltimores pass defense is in the top 5 in the league, they lead the league in interceptions by a LARGE MARGIN and the majority of those guys are pro bowlers.. but a valid point u have :shake:

You miss the point though its not what I am talking about. My goal is take perception out of the equation. I am not saying the book should set at it 3 to attract the correct money flow....I am saying perception aside these teams are equal on neutral fields worst case. Now way is Balt - 1 on a neutral field IMO...I dont care what the book is trying to do my goal is beat the line...just like Indy should have been at least -9 vs KC and Dallas should be a PK or favored in Seattle....but thanks to the media who incorrectly tout stats and bad opinions they are allowed to open the better team at least 2 points short....not suprisingly that game went like all KC road games did vs tough teams KC less then 10 pts...

Of course the book knows the Ravens are quickly becoming public darlings and Indy while the defense answered some questions , the manning debate will be opened up again. Really those picks were about him anticipating Harrison to do someonthing other then he did..so they re not concerns only mirages. So of course if I know I can get basically the same action at -4 as -3 as a linesmaker I did my job , get the same money flow on a bad number......

We are on the same page but looking from different views...

Yeah, we are on the same page with different views, I'm glad you said that. Because I think both the Ravens line, and the Cowboys line is a good line--but I'm not looking at it the way you are.

I agree with you that on a neutral field, for example, there's no way Seattle would be favored here. (Conversely, I think on a neutral field Baltimore should be a -3 to Indy, especially if it's outside in January.)

I just have trouble getting out of the mindset of the person who sets the line as opposed to how you're looking at it.

Oh, an aside, I think that the questions about Manning will be drowned out this week by the praise for their defense. The thing about Baltimore, there's nothing really to hype with them. You can talk about their defense, but that story now seems tired after 2000 and doesn't get any traction. I think you're going to get stories about how maybe this is Peyton's year and how if his receivers would just make plays for him they could go all the way.

And then I have this feeling they go into Baltimore and lose 24-13 or 24-20.

abcs said:
Mccalister and ed reed arent good?? Austin please..

Once again you put words in my mouth. I never said they aren't good. I believe the core of this defense that has been heavily touted is the linebacker. Its not that I think Balt's secondary is bad, but I believe that Manning can exploit them, especially at 2:1

JP - Baltimore will not beat the Colts. Billick is not the offensive genius he claims to be. He is way too conservative and relies entirely too much on his defense. I have seen it all season long. Prime example was the Charger game with Balt down by 1 possession and 2:50 left in the game, 4th&1, Balt elects to punt and let their defense put them in position. You don't have enough faith in a game to get 1 yard with Jamal? I have much more faith in Manning than I do with McNair.

Playoffs are all about streaking, I culd care less what Baltimore did in the reg season. Colts have won and lost close games all season long and the benefit of this is that if faced with a tight playoff game, it will be familiar territory for the Colts which can only be a positive. Manning only needs about 35-40 seconds from the 30 to get you in FG range. I will gladly take the points.

Austintx_05 said:
Once again you put words in my mouth. I never said they aren't good. I believe the core of this defense that has been heavily touted is the linebacker. Its not that I think Balt's secondary is bad, but I believe that Manning can exploit them, especially at 2:1
I didnt put any words in your mouth.. You said they werent that great, may i ask you which secondary is great then?

Billick is not the offensive genius he claims to be.

So funny you say that, Austin, I just heard Billick on the radio yesterday talking about this same thing and he made a good point. He said it's funny how much you hear about a guy being an offensive or defensive genius, but as soon as you get the job you realize you're niether any more, that you're just a head coach and you've got enough problems as it is without being considered a genius of any stripe.

I agree that he relies a lot on his defense, but I think the difference is McNair. With McNair in there and with Billick calling the plays this team has averaged over 20 points a game. Even if Indy's defense plays better against the run as they did today, their secondary doesn't impress me. Sanders played well today, but he's not 100%, I see no reason their scoring trend shouldn't continue.

And I can't really make the case for how Indy's going to get into the mid-to-high 20s which is where I think they'd need to be to win this game.

Austintx_05 said:

Like he did today with 3 INTs?

Ripped71 said:
Like he did today with 3 INTs?

Everyone has a bad game. And as Nut pointed out, it was more fo a case of Harrison and Manning not being on the same page. They have a week to work out the kinks.

BTW - Did you take KC today? You sound a little bitter

abcs said:
austin you want to tell me which secondary is great?

I honestly don't think there is a great secondary in the NFL as a whole

I honestly don't think there is a great secondary in the NFL

In that case, let me direct your attention to the Philadelphia Football Eagles.

Go Birds.

nah Joe...I look at the same way just say it differently. I totally agree with your approach. However you are now the bettor not the linesmaker. I understand why they set the lines they do...cause they know what the public will BUY into.... So shouldnt you then shy away from how the linesmaker thinks and counteract his move? Thats why I am trying to preach.

Honestly I would have said -2.5 would be fair and then I expected 3 maybe even 3.5 to give everyone a decision...4 suprises me...

Think about this if Cincy is +3 in Indy how could Indy be +4....

I think the one I disagree with you on is how you sort of develop numbers. I think you put to much emphasis on who should win...Colts not playing well away of late and Balt with some impressive road wins makes you seem to think Balt is better based on past events.

I am still somewhat unimpressed with Balt cause all they did was beat alot of teams with nice names but who underacheived. They never really went against someone playing their A game and won.. I still dont see a run game but I think McNair and his WRS are sleeping giants...I dont make quick decisions but would say +4 looks attractive to me now..

Gotta run now so we can chat tmrw...BOL Joe!

Austintx_05 said:
Everyone has a bad game. And as Nut pointed out, it was more fo a case of Harrison and Manning not being on the same page. They have a week to work out the kinks.

BTW - Did you take KC today? You sound a little bitter

I had no action today. It was a simple question. Manning is a proven choke artist and actually for a change his defense bailed him out today, largely due to the fact that Herm Edwards is clueless. It's pretty telling when LJ states after the game that "we had no backup plan" other than running the football.

abcs - In the future, I am not going to reply to you. Every site that I have been on you and I seem to always get into it. I am here only for 1 reason, to win. I know that the further I get into and argument wth you, the closer I get to making remarks I shouldn't. It just seems that for every comment someone makes you are always looking to 1 up someone, and I have no interest in being apart of that.

Ripped71 said:
I had no action today. It was a simple question. Manning is a proven choke artist and actually for a change his defense bailed him out today, largely due to the fact that Herm Edwards is clueless. It's pretty telling when LJ states after the game that "we had no backup plan" other than running the football.

I agree. KC was clueless and Manning was not on his A Game.

Joe Public said:
I honestly don't think there is a great secondary in the NFL

In that case, let me direct your attention to the Philadelphia Football Eagles.

Go Birds.

Joe I think the Homer in you is coming out. I will give it to you that Dawkins is Pro Bowl material, but I am talking about the complete package. Eagles defense has too many probelms wrapping up when tackling. I hope for your sake they change that, because I think tommorrow's game will be very close.

well i agree with most of what i read ,The thing im having a hard time swallowing is indys defense stopped the chiefs???Im gonna say kc stopped themselves ,kinda sleep walking,i dont know for sure but i saw more dropped passes bye kc then i have seen in past memory ,I also agree with what lj said after game, no answer .. 3 picks no scores ,And 1 of them ran back to the 4 yrd line????? ok yes indy defense looked better but not sold at all,and as far as manning goes , we all know the best way to beat him is pressure wich is right in line with balt,As of right now im leaning balt but waiting to see line movements all imo gl and bol all p.s.If i were the chiefs owner HERM EDWARDS WOULD BE FIRED HE WAS OUT COACHED AGAIN , SAME GOES FOR THE TUNA ,whats up with tunas deformed body ever see that pig with just a tight shirt on ??wtf with all that money id do something with that freaky foul body imo of course

Austintx_05 said:
abcs - In the future, I am not going to reply to you. Every site that I have been on you and I seem to always get into it. I am here only for 1 reason, to win. I know that the further I get into and argument wth you, the closer I get to making remarks I shouldn't. It just seems that for every comment someone makes you are always looking to 1 up someone, and I have no interest in being apart of that.
I was replyin to your comment that the ravens secondary wasnt that good :shake:

well as far as the line for this game is concerned, i think SN is right on. this line should be no more than a fg imo. its ripe for the picking right now at pinny sitting at 4.5. i do believe that manning will have a fairly easy time picking apart this secondary as he has in the past. and with clark back as his third weapon only helps. it was apparant to me that not alot of people really understand how important bob sanders is to this defense. the guy is a difference maker, and as long as he is in the lineup, ill be on the colts. i also think that freeney could have a field day vs. ogden, as his speed is just to much. not to mention ogden's still a little banged up but has said he will play next week. bottom line i think balt. giving any more than 3 is a steal. they wont be able to put up many points to hang with indy in this one. in action today i really like the giants to go into philly and win it su. good luck today guys.

this game should be no more than 3 but having said that balt will beat indy hands down,not in the typing mood now so i wont explain now,also eagles secondary is good but not the best.sheldon brown gets beat alot especially by plaxico ,i hope that dont happen today cuz i am a big bird fan

I just think you guys are overrating Peyton. Baltimore isnt a fluke. They are well coached and know how to win. Sure the colts look good on paper. But that shit doesnt cut it on the playoffs. I promise you if peyton throws 2 or 3 picks again the ravens win by double digits.
The colts all of a sudden arent a great run d team.

I just think you guys are overrating Peyton. Baltimore isnt a fluke. They are well coached and know how to win. Sure the colts look good on paper. But that shit doesnt cut it on the playoffs. I promise you if peyton throws 2 or 3 picks again the ravens when by double digits.
The colts all of a sudden arent a great run d team.

How is Peyton overrated?

I agree that Baltimore isn't a fluke, but the problem with laying 4.5 in a playoff game is that you have a defensive minded team. Lets say for example that neither team turns the ball over. How confident are you in Balt's offense? I think the perception of Baltimore s that their defense is their offense and thats all you need. Give the likelihood of a backdoor or even an opportuniuty for a SU win, is very possible in this game.

What is Peytons record and qb rating in the playoffs?? THen compare that to his regular season stats.. I like Peyton, but he doesnt do as well when the games matter

But i guess since hes going up against a mediocre secondary he might have a field day

abcs said:
What is Peytons record and qb rating in the playoffs?? THen compare that to his regular season stats.. I like Peyton, but he doesnt do as well when the games matter

But i guess since hes going up against a mediocre secondary he might have a field day

Maybe you should rephrase your statements. Say " Peyton, IMO, is not as key of a factor in the playoffs as in the reg season, because history tells us that."

But to say that he is overrated is junk.

I never said Baltimore's secondary was mediocre you did. When it comes to a balanced secondary, i don't think the Ravens secondary is as good as perceived. I think they are better at stopping the run than they are at stopping the pass. Colts are a pass heavy team and I think getting 4.5 is a good line on the Colts.

Peyton is overrated when it comes to the playoffs. Putting way to much value on him, when he has yet to come up big... numbers dont lie. You never said they were mediocre, you just said they werent that good ( and that was your exact words). IMHO thats an injustice to a guy who won DPOY and who is by far the best safety in this league.

Ravens secondary is a GREAT tackling secondary. i mean GREAT. The Ravens secondary is a BARELY ABOVE AVERAGE coverage secondary. i mean BARELY ABOVE AVERAGE. Now what does this mean against the colts? I think it exposes them against the great scheme and route runners on the Colts team.

BUUUT the main point that will determine who wins this game is the Baltimore pressure vs. the Indy pass protection. If Peyton is rushed out of the pocket most of the game, Balt wins no doubt. The Colts have been awful vs good pressure teams (NE, Balt, Pitt, etc.)

I lean to Balt ML. SCREW messing with that hook with a team that will consistently rely on their defense.

Good Points Tide, Peyton sucks against 3 4 defenses.. I mean badly. You can get pressure on peyton with out blizting corners and safeties which will force him into errant passes. You have to remember Baltimore is a 2 seed for a reason. They will be rested and ready to go. Look for a lot of Jamal Lewis. Baltimores Offense is also better than you guys are giving them credit for

thats an injustice to a guy who won DPOY and who is by far the best safety in this league.

This is my EXACT point.

1 safety does not mean you have the best secondary in the league.

I'm not saying Ed Reed isn't good, because he is, but 1 single player does not make a secondary.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

abcs - Can I expect to see you posting Baltimore -4.5 anytime soon?

Austin i was responding to your comment that baltimores secondary wasnt that good. Never said Baltimore was a lock or anything like that..Never said Indy didnt have a shot. Please quit worrying about what i play. Chris Mccalister is also a pro bowler and has been one of the top 3 or 4 corners in the league for a while.

Austin/Abcs new rule. Both of you stay out of each others threads. Neither of you two respond to what the other says. I don't want any interaction between the two of you, because you're both acting like kids. I'm sick of getting email after email with abcs "reporting a bad post," and having to clean up threads with you two making snide remarks towards each other. The behavior you two are exibiting is not welcome on this board. Both of you have been banned before and you're both coming very close to being banned for good this time. So enough already and leave each other alone.

Chargers -4.5 next week

I havent seen a rb run through the pats in a loooong time. Rivers has been brutal lately. Should be a very interesting game.

Back