Colts -6.5 @ Panthers

Blue_Chip

Money Addict
I do not get this line. Joe, believe, others... please explain why Indy is laying a small number to Carolina. Is it simply because Indy is on the road and have a short week? I just don't consider homefield as much an advantage in the pros as I do in college. Thanks in advance...

I just dont think they will be showing much of their playbook to Carolina and just going through the motions to get the win. They will leave it all on the field against the Pats. Just my .02

That's exactly it.

People willingly forget that the Colts aren't the Pats here. The Colts have zero desire to cover the number. All they want is the win and if I'm not mistaken they are outstanding, historically, about not covering big numbers.

NE is treating this season like they're on a mission, the Colts only mission is to win the game in front of them, slowly, however they can, and if for whatever reason they pull away from you that's fine, but they're not going try to blow you out.

The only reason I'm not interested in Carolina more right now is because I think Carr is starting and the line hasn't moved to 7.

What I'd like is 7.5, which I'm willing to buy to at the flat 7.

Maybe I'm stupid, but this Colts team reminds me of just about every Colts team for the last four years and in these situations, with a huge game on deck, off a short week that they had to travel for, in a game where they have to travel again, I want as many points as I can get with the dog and I want to take a shot.

Not to mention, historically, how good Carolina is in this role of underdog. This is where they tend to excel.

Of course, if I have to bet on David Carr here I might lay off--despite the success he had the last time he played this team.

Also, what number could you really put out there if you were a book?

If you're going to go over 7 and not stop at 7.5, your next stop is 9. That's inconsistent with the spreads they've been laying on the road all year, and even going back to last year the only time they laid more than 7.5 was in Houston near the end of the year when Houston's season was over. Carolina is 4-2 and has dreams of being a playoff team.

I agree, Joe. I am gradually seeing the reasons for the short line, hence I will stay away.

My theory, look to tease it either way.

Though, I've teased Indy on -6.5 lines before in the past and I've had to sweat it out far more than I'd like to.

I think they used around 7 for a reason. Its going to get 50/50 action. The public (and I) will get hard ons over having to only lay a TD. Sharps and "fade the public" will do the same over Carolina in this spot.

Personally, I think the Colts win by 10...they will get up by 2 TD's at some point, then start grinding out the rest of the game. So a back door is possible, but they sure seemed determined to not give up one on MNF.

As for showing anything with New England on deck...what are they going to show that they haven't seen? They have played each other almost every year for at least a decade...

blitz, your not worried about indy just doing enough to get the win (off the big division win last week on mnf on a short week looking ahead to wk 9 with ne)?

well, I can see the concern about playing a Nationally televised Monday Nighter and then being setup for a letdown against a decent team with a big game lined up after that..

the thing is, I think New England and Indy are in a zone right now... New England is blowing everyone away and doesn't seem to want to let up doing that... and even though Indy has just been a "take what their given to win" type team, lately they have actually been trying to prove to the world that New England is not the only team that can blow teams away.

In their last three games, they beat the Jags 29-7, the Bucs 33-14, and the Broncos 38-20. I think they can handle a td spread against the Panthers. Don't you?

New England and the Giants have both won and covered a Monday Nighter and then covered the next week. New England covered against Cincy on Monday Night and then covered and won the next week against the Browns even though they had a huge game lined up against Dallas the week after that. At the time, both were undefeated. So I think Indy takes care of business. I just think they are trying to prove a point as well.

The funny thing is, when the Giants won and covered on Monday Night, they were then favored by 9 the next week. The Patriots (after the Cincy Monday Nighter) were favored by 16 the next week. Now that the Colts won and covered on Monday Night, they are favored by less than a td. Why?? They were favored by 10 against Denver and by 9 against the Bucs.. and now less than a td to the Panthers. It may seem fishy, but as they proved with a 3 pt spread against the Jags, fishy lines don't mean much to them.. I'll be taking my chances with the Colts.

Back