Colorado vs UCLA Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
I know, I disagree with (I believe) literally everybody here. Feel free to discuss. Maybe somebody shows up to stick up for my pick, as well. BOL with all of your plays.

Back Prolific UCLA to Cover vs Sluggish Colorado

UCLA (2-2) hosts Colorado (3-1) this Saturday at 10:30 PM ET. UCLA is favored by 7 points. The game total opened at 66.5, but currently sits at 68.5.

UCLA's offense relies especially on its quarterback, Josh Rosen. Rosen is a prolific athlete who is averaging over 400 passing yards per game. His mechanical soundness enables him to release the ball quickly. He achieves a soft touch on his passes with precise placement and fits passes with high velocity into tight windows.

This season, UCLA has progressed from being 126th last season with 2.9 rush yards per carry to being 41st this season with 4.8 yards per carry. Soso Jamabo leads UCLA's running backs thanks to his strength, physicality, and intelligence with reading blocks.

Rosen has improved his completion % from 59 last season to 65 this season largely due to improvement from his wide receivers. UCLA returns its two top receivers from last year, Darren Andrews and Jordan Lasley. Both utilize their quick feet to create separation in the shorter passing game, while Lasley also possesses breakaway speed that gives him big-play ability.

UCLA's offensive line has improved significantly from last season. The offensive scheme is different. Left tackle Kolton MIller is healthy. Scott Quessenberry is now in his second year transitioning from guard to center. Right tackle Sunny Odogwu arrived as a graduate transfer from Miami. UCLA's offensive line is deeper, healthier, fundamentally more sound, and more talented.

UCLA's protection should be secured by Colorado's regression at defensive line. The Buffaloes are slowly building a solid defensive line for its 3-4 defense. But, they lost three NFL-caliber defensive linemen and have struggled with depth at the position due to health and team discipline issues.

Colorado's run defense redeems itself somewhat with a very experienced and talented linebacking corps, led by its communicative leader Rick Gamboa, the solidly strong Derek McCartney, who will challenge UCLA's blockers, and the speedy and athletic transfer from Washington, Drew Lewis.

Colorado's secondary lost three starters to the NFL. Currently, Isaiah Oliver is a shutdown-capable cornerback who possesses the speed and agility to keep up with any wide receiver. But, there is little proven talent outside of Oliver.

Rosen will be tested when throwing in Oliver's direction, but also has an adequate rush attack and other wide receivers at his disposal.

Rosen's counterpart for Colorado, Steve Montez, is a talented sophomore with a live arm who is very capable in the vertical passing game. But, he is still very prone to interceptions and has already thrown 6 this year.

If he can get the ball to his receivers, they have plenty of talent. Shay Fields and Devin Ross utilize their speed and elusiveness to create big plays while Bryce Bobo showcases his physicality.

Phillip Lindsay is a reliable back whose speed and physicality are respectable, but not game-changing. He is not the physically most imposing back and his max-effort strategy leads his yards per carry to regress towards the end of the game.

Colorado's offensive line has undergone adjustments and is struggling to play with cohesion or quality. Their coaches have already called them out on their lack of physicality, yet they have not shown any improvement.

UCLA's run defense received a wake-up call last week against Stanford. They got gashed in the first three quarters against Texas A&M in week 1, played well against Memphis' quality running backs (besides giving up an 80 yard run), but then were gashed again by Stanford superstar Bryce Love for 263 yards.

Look for a resurgent performance against a much weaker rush attack. Top recruit defensive end Jaelen Phillips swore vengeance after last week's debacle and, with his superior physicality and technique, his lethalness in pursuit and pervasiveness in the backfield, has the talent to lead UCLA's rush defense to an improved performance.

UCLA's pass and rush defense have absolutely suffered from injuries, such as in linebacker Kenny Young and safety Jaleel Wadood. Young is a versatile athlete who can help in pass coverage but also create havoc in the backfield. Wadood is arguably the Pac-12's top defensive back and provides senior leadership behind 5-star recruit Darnay Holmes, who is already making an instant impact as a starting cornerback. UCLA is statistically a top-40 pass defense and can be even better if the likes of Wadood can stay on the field.

The Verdict

Colorado lacks the big-play ability that UCLA possesses. Unlike Rosen, who hasn't gotten intercepted at home since October of 2015, Montez's poor decision-making ability is undermining his big-play potential. UCLA boasts a more balanced attack than last year, due to a talented running game behind a vastly improved offensive line. UCLA will be extra motivated on defense and has the tools, when healthy, to contain an underachieving Colorado offense.

NCAAF Pick: UCLA -6.5

Last edited:
Just looking for some clarification...what says that UCLA is a top 40 pass D statistically?

Stats...don't always mean much in saying who is going to win, but I don't believe any defensive stat would tilt towards UCLA being "good" in any sense of the word do they?

Last year 36th in passing yards allowed, this year 45th.

Last year 6th in opposing passer rating, this year 69th.

This year they have had a lot of injuries in the early going. So I think the stats don't speak positively enough about UCLA's talent in the secondary, let alone suggesting the reverse-- that they exaggerate.

Somebody smarter than me makes point spreads and UCLA is favored beyond homefield advantage for a reason, but to think their D is going to be the reason is hard to envision....I've seen their lack of hustle, they just don't seem to care.

Anything can happen, but some of these stats are scary:

83rd 3rd down conv D 40%
104th 10+ yard scrimmage plays allowed (61)
115th 20+ yard scrimmage plays allowed (24)
129th 30+ yard scrimmage plays allowed (17)
127th 40+ yard scrimmage plays allowed (11)
55th Pass Yards per game
76th Pass Eff D
115th Pass TD allowed (10)
59th Pass INTs gained (4)
34th Completion % D (54.5)
13th passes defended per game (6.25)

130th Run D yards per game (307.5)
129th Run D ypc (6.58)
125th Total yards per game allowed (519)
54th sacks per game (2.25)
48th tfl per game (6.75)
98th red zone TD allowed (69.57%)
115th forced fumbles per game (.25)

Different sites must have different rankings, ncaa and cfb stats shows them lower in pass yards allowed and pass eff

I am not trying to say that their defense is elite. I just don't think they'll get close to being torn to pieces when their main guys are healthy. Their D has been playing with a lot of injured guys whose health should be returning. So I think it's unfair in that regard to already write them off.

Rosen is capable of putting the team on his shoulders, obviously, and Colorado O hasn't give shown consistency. So in those respects I agree. As to if the UCLA D is pure garbage or capable of contributing to a winning effort, we'll see Saturday. Probably a better chance that an average CU O leads to their potential downfall than a chance UCLA D is the reason. I know what I've seen already this year, but things don't always stay the same. Look forward to the matchup. Critical game for both teams, every game at this point critical for Mora.

I'm sure the Rose Bowl will be about 1/2 full, so home field isn't worth much there these days.

So nobody else likes UCLA? Maybe i'm just being an idiot.

But in my heart I really want Colorado. Also seems to me like Rosen is an intolerable douchebag and prick who I wouldn't be able to stand being around in person

FWIW Rick Neuheisel picked Colorado. Not that he is some great picker or anything, I don't know. UCLA alum, former coach of both.

Bryce Love is far from everybody he is a superstar. Darius Anderson broke an 80 yard run on them but otherwise did nothing. UCLA's run D shaped up after a horrific start vs A and M. They are healthy and won't be ripped up by an underperforming Colorado whose o-line isn't a tenth of what A and M's or Stanford's or Memphis' is.

If Colorado dominates this game su it could be my most horrible misread since backing GT vs a zone (tcu in ncaab) or liking OK state's D in ncaab

I'll be betting Colorado with the points. Through the the process here I may've reconsidered some things with respect to a potential ML play. Can't speak for anyone else who may be taking CU, but I would be surprised if they dominated. I see anything from a 1-10 pt CU win to a 1-10 pt UCLA win as likely, other scenarios possible, just less likely in my mind.

Everybody has to follow what makes sense to them, you'll trust yourself. You had a good read on the TCU Defense last week when that seemed rather difficult position to take. Although saying the CU OL not being 1/10 th of what...Memphis' is? I don't know, kind of bold and unnecessary hyperbole. By the way, who is Darius Anderson related to this game?

I don't trust the qb. I was high on Montez coming into the year but have really backed off in the last few weeks. CU sunshine pumpers will point to his stat line as one of the best in CU history, that may be true but he has faced some of the worst competition in CU history. Physical tools are all there but bad decision after bad decision. I know UCLA's defense is garbage but I expect ATLEAST 2 INTs from Montez on Saturday. First away game of the season, no thanks. If this gets back to -7 i'll be all over UCLA and can probably talk myself into betting -8. Really think this is a 14+ win for UCLA.

I watched the second half of ucla and colorado. I think you should fade ucla against a team with a solid secondary and pass rush that can contain rosen. Ucla's rush attack is unbearably bad but rosen is the real deal. As ive been saying the defense shows some promise especially as their injuries continue to clear up. Jaelen phillips needs to get healthy. That pass rush needs to be more consistent deeper into games so the depth of a healthy d line is imperative. Mora is a fucking awful coach and you can count on his team committing lots of penalties and underperforming thanks to stupid playcalling and poor game prep. But colorado's offense is also sluggish. I like the physicality that lindsay does his utmost to bring but he's simply not bo scarborough's size. I liked what i saw from montez throwing-wise despite his numbers. He suffered from a few key drops. He's awesome outside the pocket but despite his toughness he needs to learn to go down. He has a solid arm and can go down the field to any of his three playmakers at wide receiver. But his protection will really crumble against a good d line.

Competitive game, UCLA could've won by more than a TD or Colorado could've won straight up. Each team had their chances for more pts.

Either way, one thing is for sure...UCLA cheerleaders always win!

02-Danielle_UCLA_Game-YPP_3995.jpg

Back