Colorado State vs. Fresno State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Colorado State vs. Fresno State: Week 9 College Football Game Preview

Colorado State Rams vs. Fresno State Bulldogs
Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 10 p.m. ET (CBSSN) at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, California

Colorado State’s Difference From Hawaii

Be wary of relying on the box score of Fresno State’s season opener in order to inform your College Football Betting Picks.

It is true that Hawaii gashed the Bulldogs with 323 rushing yards. But this feat will not repeat itself on Thursday.

Hawaii featured tremendous returning experience along its offensive line, a new run-focused offense, and a pair of returning running backs who averaged well over five YPC and accrued over 900 rushing yards last year.

Plus, Fresno State had to play its first game without its top defensive player from last year, linebacker Justin Rice. Rice transferred to Arkansas State.

Colorado State will be similar to Hawaii in its willingness to run the ball.

This willingness is transparent with Steve Addazio as the Rams’ new head coach. At Boston College, his teams regularly ranked among the nation’s leaders in run play percentage.

But, unlike Hawaii, Addazio does not possess the weapons with which to take advantage of Fresno State’s potential defensive weakness.

During the offseason, the Rams lost 31 starts from their 2019 offensive line, including three starters. They lost both guards and their left tackle.

Their top returning running back is nothing special. Marcus McElroy Jr. ran for 370 yards last year on 4.6 YPC.

Colorado State Offense vs. Fresno State Defense

With Collin Hill being one of two Ram quarterbacks to transfer out of the program, Colorado State has limited options at quarterback.

Patrick O’Brien will certainly be the guy under center for the Rams.

His numbers from last year reveal a disturbing tendency to take sacks.

With the losses at offensive line, pass protection could be an issue for the Rams.

But I like Fresno State’s pass defense to improve upon its numbers from last season regardless of its pass rush.

Its secondary is healthier at least for now. Also, the team's top cornerback, Wylan Free, returns to his natural position after playing at safety last season.

It is true that Colorado State’s offense is geared for the pass because wide receiver is its strongest position.

But the Rams will be limited through the air thanks to Addazio’s scheme, possibly the Rams’ lack of pass protection, and Fresno State’s improved secondary.

Fresno State Offense vs. Colorado State Defense

Last week, Fresno State debuted its new quarterback, Jake Haener, who transferred from Washington.

Haener had some accuracy issues, which were magnified by his lack of chemistry with Fresno State receivers. Barely completing over half his passes, he missed some favorable shots deep and missed too many makable throws in general.

Whereas O’Brien sometimes takes too many sacks, Haener did the opposite. With 13 mostly undesigned carries, he ran too often when pressure came or when his first read appeared unavailable.

Even if Haener fixes his issues with accuracy, chemistry, and pocket presence, he will still struggle.

Last year, Colorado State owned one of the nation’s top pass defenses. It ranked ninth in allowing 184.4 passing YPG.

The Rams bring back the core of their secondary, which is led by Preseason All-Mountain West third-teamer Logan Stewart at cornerback.

Stewart will have an easier test than one could have predicted before the season. Fresno State lost its top wide receiver, Zane Pope, to injury. He led the team, easily, in receiving yards last season.

Fresno State wants to pass the ball more. It is true that the Bulldogs had to pass more in their season opener since they were behind.

But the Bulldogs have continuity at offensive coordinator and were, even last year, more of a pass-first team as measured by their low run-play percentage.

With Kalen DeBoer having been brought in as head coach, his characteristic pass-first mentality can only solidify the Bulldogs’ pre-existing pass-first tendency.

Even if the Bulldogs weren’t going to underutilize their top running back, they couldn’t find much success against Colorado State’s returning plethora of defensive tackles and of its important linebackers.

The Verdict

Both offenses will be undermined in this match-up by scheme. Whereas Colorado State will want to run more when it’s built to pass, the Bulldogs will want to pass more and therefore encounter Colorado State’s defensive strength.

The Rams’ secondary will limit Fresno State’s unreliable pass attack while the Rams on offense lack the weaponry to do what Hawaii did to Fresno State.

Best Bet: Under (Odds TBA)

I really don't know what to make of this game. CSU -1.5 59.5. Is the total up from an initial 56.5? Under seems reasonable, although I am not going to do anything on that without having seen CSU play. I think I would only consider Fresno, but it isn't enough points for me to take a shot. There has been so many negative storylines surrounding CSU this offseason that makes me less likely to count on them doing something right until I see it.

On the CSU OL, they have 3 Boston College transfers listed as starters. I don't think they got a ton of starts at BC, they did play some, but P5 level talent to be part of that team, now playing G5 talent level in Fresno might have that OL better than expected.

I really don't know what to make of this game. CSU -1.5 59.5. Is the total up from an initial 56.5? Under seems reasonable, although I am not going to do anything on that without having seen CSU play. I think I would only consider Fresno, but it isn't enough points for me to take a shot. There has been so many negative storylines surrounding CSU this offseason that makes me less likely to count on them doing something right until I see it.

On the CSU OL, they have 3 Boston College transfers listed as starters. I don't think they got a ton of starts at BC, they did play some, but P5 level talent to be part of that team, now playing G5 talent level in Fresno might have that OL better than expected.
Was coming here to say the same thing.

The line movement is confusing. From what I gather the line moved 5'ish points because...Fresno St has a new QB and not a lot of practice time & lost to Hawaii? I doubt Hawaii's offense and Colorado State's have a lot in common.

Hawaii ran a lot of zone read with Cordeiro. Reports have Colorado State starting Temple dual threat transfer Todd Centeio QB starting tonight (dual threat).

That would signal a big shift in offense for Rams as O'Brien is your statuesque type QB that stands tall and delivers the ball and is vulnerable to sacks. I can't remember a ton on Conteio but I think he got beat out at Temple which is why he transfered out (or mabye he just didn't like the coaching change).

This creates even more unknowns for this game.

It could be said that a run heavy Hawaii O likely caught Fresno completely offguard last week. So along those lines, they will be more prepared for it should that be what CSU is bringing tonight.

I really think Fresno is going to look better tonight, I would just want more spread to make it worth it for me to risk it on them. VC's under still seems like a decent play.

Good info above, thanks to all.

I lean to CSU.

I look at defense first, who's the toughest second, then run game, then coach and QB. Looks to me like CSU is 5-0 because Adazzio automatically has the edge in the first three and the last.

The new guy at Fresno may be outstanding--he was almost unbeatable in NAIA and won two national titles--and while I like the way Adazzio's teams play he gets out-coached in a lot of games, and he's not the guy you rely on to put a lot of points on the board, although he claims he's seen the light and hired a modern OC. But those guys ALWAYS say that

I give Adazzio the edge because he's proved he can be a head coach at the highest level of college football,

QB is definite edge to Colo State.

Then I look at the stats and they are almost the same team, same record, gave up the same number of points, scored the same number, just two also rans who were in most games.

Only thing against CSU in this spot is my rule never to bet on losing teams until they prove they're a winner. And the only thing I hate more than giving points is giving points on the road.

If this were a weekend game I wouldn't bet it. I bet Hawaii in this spot last week, but I hade more faith in Graham to have an offense humming than I do Adazzio.

The only reason I'm still thinking is I enjoy betting midweek games, Lost money last week with Arkansas State doing just that.

I'm probably passing but if I yield to my weakness I'm betting CSU

Last edited:
Things that I struggle with thinking if the turmoil inside CSU's team this offseason (racial abuse allegations) and the turmoil surrounding Fort Collins still (wildfires restricting outdoor practices) will matter for how prepared CSU is.

I missed a few drives but Centeio looks pretty bad from what I’ve seen. Is O’Brien worse than I remember?

O'Brien supposedly missed some practice time, not sure if it was covid or not. Think they thought that Centeio fits the offense they want better. His accuracy has been a liability so far.

O'Brien has the arm and posted some really good numbers with the nice receiving targets CSU had last year. A couple of those guys are gone, but these receivers are going to get tired of this offense quick with Centeio.

They’ve wasted two stops by their defense to open the 2H. It’s a winnable game but they’re about to go down by 3 scores and if they don’t get him out they’re going to lose by much more than that.

Back