Colorado at San Francisco Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Scoring Won't Come Easy For Giants or Rockies in Saturday Matinee

Colorado (3-11) at San Francisco (6-9)

When: 4:05 p.m. ET (FS1)

MLB Pick: 1H Under

Both lineups are in a terrible spot because they must be worn down after last night's 18-inning, 5 hour-35 minute marathon. Last year, Colorado's longest two games were each 13 innings. After the first time, it scored four runs at home. After the second time, it scored zero runs in San Diego. San Francisco's longest game was 16 innings. After that game, it scored two runs in Los Angeles. Today, both lineups will have only gotten about 12 hours' rest.

After his last poor start, Colorado's Kyle Freeland (1-2, 5.40 ERA) is in a bounce-back spot. After his last five starts in which he yielded an ERA above 4.00, he yielded one lower than 3.00 in the next. San Francisco is a nice bounce-back place for him. In three career starts and 19.2 innings there, he yields a 2.29 ERA.

Freeland's repertoire enjoys variety. He relies on three different pitches with between 17 and 39 percent frequency, a fastball, sinker, and cutter. Although he barely throws it overall, he can also feature his slider. When he limited San Francisco last year to two runs over seven innings in Colorado, he threw his slider 31% of the time.

His last start was atypical in terms of his poor location and I fully expect him to rediscover the success that he had enjoyed in his prior two starts. Last year, he left the ball down the middle only 3.89% of the time. Instead, he lives off the borders of the strike zone, where his four most frequent pitch locations were. Above all, his change-up, which he loves throwing especially to righties, and sinker enjoy strong horizontal movement, which he uses to to toy with the batter's perception of whether his pitch will land for a strike or not. This year, and this has been a stated goal for himself, he's switching up the location of his pitches to appear less predictable, throwing them less often on one particular side of the zone.

Despite getting to play against him sometimes in hitters-friendly Coors Field, San Francisco batters don't enjoy good career numbers against Freeland. In 82 at-bats, their OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) is .621 against him. Buster Posey, who is anyhow suffering a horrible start to the season, which is surely due at least in part to his age and the major hip surgery that he underwent last year, and Brandon Belt are combined 7-for-32 (.218) against him. Daytime seems like a bad time for the Giants to improve their history against Freeland. They are batting .187 in day games so far, which is a major reason why the "under" is 4-1-1 in San Fran's day games.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Giants starter Madison Bumgarner (0-2, 3.32 ERA) will look to extend his streak against the Rockies. He didn't allow a run in 13 innings against them last year in San Francisco.

One reason that sensationalists cited for Bumgarner's alleged decline was the drop in spin rate of his curveball. This year, though, his curveball is enjoying a spin rate as high as it ever has before and opponents are batting .167 against it. Besides its spin rate, which increases the deceptiveness of its location, Bumgarner's curveball is effective because of its precise location, consistently hitting the lowest left spot in the strike zone, and its versatile location, often landing in the upper spots of the zone.

His favorite weapon, though is his cutter, which he throws most frequently and leans on especially when opposing runners enter scoring position. His cutter features tight movement. It's his most consistent strike pitch, even though he often nibbles the borders of the zone with it. Also, he uses deception by making it resemble his curveball in terms of vertical and horizontal release points, so that batters don't know which pitch approaches them.

Rockie batters have accrued strong numbers against Bumgarner, but only because they succeeded against him in Colorado, where the lack of air density makes it harder for a curveball to be effective. Whether home or away, Colorado's hitters are currently struggling. They've mustered three runs in their last 40 innings. Part of the problem is health--Daniel Murphy, David Dahl and Ryan McMahon are all injured. The healthy hitters aren't helping much, though. Charlie Blackmon, for instance, is batting only .232.

Last edited:
Gotta love this part about baseball season..staying up until 3 a.m. to wait for a freaking marathon game to end so that I can finally write. This is why I need more late evening naps lol

Gotta love this part about baseball season..staying up until 3 a.m. to wait for a freaking marathon game to end so that I can finally write. This is why I need more late evening naps lol

Why did you have to wait for that game to end to write this one? (Suppose I’m busted that I didn’t really read this article, lol, not ur fault these teams just not interesting).

Plenty of times you do these things without even knowing line (which insane to me!), who cares how that gm ended in regards to this one? God I couldn’t imagine having to watch 18 innings of baseball between those 2!! Took everything I had to stay awake till end of blues gm and that was exciting! Lol

Why did you have to wait for that game to end to write this one? (Suppose I’m busted that I didn’t really read this article, lol, not ur fault these teams just not interesting).

Plenty of times you do these things without even knowing line (which insane to me!), who cares how that gm ended in regards to this one? God I couldn’t imagine having to watch 18 innings of baseball between those 2!! Took everything I had to stay awake till end of blues gm and that was exciting! Lol

That was under the old head of content in which I wrote these without knowing the lines thank god i dont have to do that anymore bc it is insane!! I remember when I started to do that I missed like 14 in a row and didnt even bet on them lmao

Cause what if Bum or Freeland pitched?

That was under the old head of content in which I wrote these without knowing the lines thank god i dont have to do that anymore bc it is insane!! I remember when I started to do that I missed like 14 in a row and didnt even bet on them lmao

Lol. Never understood how they could tell you to make a play without knowing damn line/spread. How the fuck is that even possible? Basically takes away any credibility cause anyone w half a brain understands in theory either side can be a play depending on price. Your editors over there are jerkoffs! Wonder if I know any of them? Lol. I been cool w some guys there forever and never knew they worked for the site till recently.

Lol. Never understood how they could tell you to make a play without knowing damn line/spread. How the fuck is that even possible? Basically takes away any credibility cause anyone w half a brain understands in theory either side can be a play depending on price. Your editors over there are jerkoffs! Wonder if I know any of them? Lol. I been cool w some guys there forever and never knew they worked for the site till recently.

It was the head of content he was a cool guy gave me lots of assignments altho it was hard to pick Michigan or against Sparty or against Miami when he was there lol and yea writing baseball without lines pissed me off, it was guess-work. And you could kinda guess the total in some games, guessing ml probably a little harder
He was all into analytics. Articles posted a day earlier had more reads. Dunno why people were clicking on an article on a game thats so far away!

Back