College Playoff

The things that could derail Tennessee getting in:

Tenn losing again
USC winning out
LSU beating UGA in Atlanta
Clemson winning out and winning ACC Champ game decisively
Ohio St and Michigan playing an epic game that came down to the last play or being decided on a fluke

I don't have the official FPI or SP+ computer, but I'd out Tenn's chances at better than 50/50 right now

Tenn losing again
USC winning out
Ohio St and Michigan playing an epic game that came down to the last play or being decided on a fluke

I don't have the official FPI or SP+ computer, but I'd out Tenn's chances at better than 50/50 right now
Ribbit

Tenn losing again
USC winning out

Got to agree!

Really interesting year obviously

Be tough to leave a 1 loss B10 team out as well as letting Tenny in over LSU if they win out.
The real chaos

Really interesting year obviously

Be tough to leave a 1 loss B10 team out as well as letting Tenny in over LSU if they win out.
The real chaos
LSU wins out, they should be in.

Conference champ.

Yes, I understand the h2h.

Just my 2 cents.

Take away divisions if this is bothersome.

Is LSU better than Tenn? I don't think so... But playing an extra game and winning a ship matters.

LSU wins out, they should be in.

Conference champ.

Yes, I understand the h2h.

Just my 2 cents.

Take away divisions if this is bothersome.

Is LSU better than Tenn? I don't think so... But playing an extra game and winning a ship matters.
Yup.

Conference Champ has to be the first to go from any conference. If you cannot win your own conference, what right do you have to be selected over the team that did win your conference? Answer: None.

Tennessee can no longer pass UGA unless they lost against Kentucky or GT and that seems hard to fathom.

I think Tennessee even has a hard time passing the BIG loser. You are punishing a team for losing the championship game that Vols were unable to reach and the quality of that loss will basically equal the Vols. Obviously the BIG sucked this year so there is that advantage for Tennessee.

TCU could lose to Baylor or ISU imo though they should win both and then have to face (most likely) kansas state who is probably just as good as they are. I have a feeling TCU drops one and they are gone. Kind of tough considering the Big12 is clearly the second best conference in football this year.

Meanwhile, vols could easily be passed by the Pac12

If the Pitt FG kicker could make a 35 or 45 yarder, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

LSU isn't winning the SEC championship game very often but if they do, as champion of the self-declared toughest conference in football, they have to get in.

Vols are fun to watch and it would be nice to see a team in there that isn't the same old, same old, but it looks like a tough path unless they are actively working to make it happen. TCU will lose somewhere most likely so that would be a big help.

I think they might be tipping their hand with the Washington big move up the rankings this week. They want to give the Pac12 a chance.

LOL...Penn State in the playoff. 4 SEC teams, oh yay! We aren't sure if the PAC 12 currently has ONE team good enough, but the 12 team method is going to give us TWO. You guys have lots fun with the 12 team thing of yours
I thought the teams with byes play at home the 2nd week, according to this they would have to play three neutral site games? Might as well throw a back to back in there as well.

I haven't kept up on how they want to handle the locations of games.

I have kept up on what teams have done this year and Penn State is 0-2 vs teams in this hypothetical Ross Dellenger bracket. And Alabama is 0-2 vs teams in that bracket as well. Michigan -or- Ohio State will eventually be 0-1 vs the other team. USC is currently 0-1 vs one of the playoff teams in that bracket. That's a whole bunch of 0-6 worth of real game results played by 4 teams proving they aren't good enough, flat out it is just dumb to include those teams in any kind of a playoff.

Yup.

Conference Champ has to be the first to go from any conference. If you cannot win your own conference, what right do you have to be selected over the team that did win your conference? Answer: None.

Tennessee can no longer pass UGA unless they lost against Kentucky or GT and that seems hard to fathom.

I think Tennessee even has a hard time passing the BIG loser. You are punishing a team for losing the championship game that Vols were unable to reach and the quality of that loss will basically equal the Vols. Obviously the BIG sucked this year so there is that advantage for Tennessee.

TCU could lose to Baylor or ISU imo though they should win both and then have to face (most likely) kansas state who is probably just as good as they are. I have a feeling TCU drops one and they are gone. Kind of tough considering the Big12 is clearly the second best conference in football this year.

Meanwhile, vols could easily be passed by the Pac12

If the Pitt FG kicker could make a 35 or 45 yarder, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

LSU isn't winning the SEC championship game very often but if they do, as champion of the self-declared toughest conference in football, they have to get in.
What? The loser of Michigan/Ohio State is in the same boat as TN. 1 loss, didn’t play in conference championship, and much worse resume.

Very easy to leave Michigan out with the non conf schedule they played
We'll see how big of a difference there is from the ND resume to the UConn resume.

Huskies bowling?

Notre Dame was hot shit back in September.

Tennessee played Akron, UT Martin and Ball State.

We'll include Pitt as a conference game since the SEC gets 4 cupcakes instead of 3.

Back to the Big Ten crossovers.

Both played Iowa.

Until the last two weeks, the Illinois game looked much better than the Wisconsin game... Ohio State got Northwestern... Michigan got Nebraska.

Basically, I'm only giving OSU a slight, very slight advantage on SOS... And we'll see how Notre Dame finishes.

What? The loser of Michigan/Ohio State is in the same boat as TN. 1 loss, didn’t play in conference championship, and much worse resume.
I wouldn't go "much worse". Yes, their opposing divisions are the back breaker here.

Tennessees good wins this year are the following..

LSU
Alabama

That's it. That's the good wins.

Kentucky, Florida, Missouri, S Carolina, Vandy .. c'mon. I get Florida a rivalry game but this bunch just became bowl eligible.

Let's not talk like Tennessee has went through some gauntlet. LSU was not highly thought of at that time either.

At some point, you have to take into account the fact that Tennessee was absolutely dominated at Georgia.

Again, fwiw, they are in unless USC wins out.

USC wins out, they get that spot.

I guess they are an overwhelming favorite to make it then. I won't mind watching them play and certainly think their team is better than TCU or USC, but it seems silly from a "sports" perspective.

Tennessees good wins this year are the following..

LSU
Alabama

That's it. That's the good wins.

Kentucky, Florida, Missouri, S Carolina, Vandy .. c'mon. I get Florida a rivalry game but this bunch just became bowl eligible.

Let's not talk like Tennessee has went through some gauntlet. LSU was not highly thought of at that time either.

I personally count any win vs a team win a winning record a good win. Pitt is 6-4 currently. Tennessee beat them. By 1 or by 30. In OT or in regulation, the bottom line UT won the game and Pitt is 6-4, 6-3 in their other non-Tennessee games.

Tennessee therefor has 5 "good wins" (Pitt, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Kentucky)

Ohio State has 4 "good wins" (Notre Dame, Toledo, Iowa, Penn State)

Michigan has 3 "good wins" (UConn, Iowa, Penn State)

I don't use rankings because my rankings, your rankings, somebody elses rankings can all differ. And to say a team was bad when they played or that team was good then and bad now, I don't do that. I just look at wins vs teams with winning records. Wins vs teams with winning records, those to me are good wins. Not all teams with winning records are equal, and the names of the teams tell you who they are. Now if you want to add a category for "great wins" that is fine too, perhaps a great win is vs a team that has 8 or more wins. In which case Tennessee would have 2 and Ohio State and Michigan would currently have 1 each, but soon, one of them will have 2, the same as Tennessee.

Edit - added Iowa to Ohio State's wins

Last edited:
Don't get why the LSU win for Tenny isn't a huge win. On the road. Next three weeks saw Lsu beat Florida, old piss, and bama, so this isn't a beat em before they're good thing.

Don't get why the LSU win for Tenny isn't a huge win. On the road. Next three weeks saw Lsu beat Florida, old piss, and bama, so this isn't a beat em before they're good thing.

It is and should be. Just look at LSU's record and that is who they are. More can be drawn from who teams were and who teams have become, but bottom line, I just boil it down to their record. Tennessee beat an 8-2 LSU team, an LSU team that only has one other loss all year. That's where I say if you want to have your pile of "good wins" then you can have your "great wins" in another pile. Tennessee has two great wins. LSU only beat Auburn by 4 pts the week prior and were not competitive in the game vs the Vols, it is still a great win in my book. Just like I'm calling Michigan's win vs UConn a good win. UConn was not competitive with Michigan either and they weren't competitive vs a lot of teams in September. But they are a 6-5 team currently and that is enough for me to give credit to Michigan for that good win. Now, if UConn loses to Army and falls back to .500 with my criteria of wins vs teams with winning records being such, UConn will be removed from the list because they are simply just average at that point, .500.

I never thought LSU would be in the talk after watching them play their earlier games. Kelly has done a great job with them this year. Still I think they will lose to the Dawgs, at least I hope. That would look good on UT's resume only losing to the top ranked team.

Is it random with regards to who goes to the Peach and Fiesta bowls? Or, for example does #1 go to the closest site?

Bama still +2500 to win… if usc loses next week are they not next in?

I don't know, but that instantly raises a thought, the people on this committee or the people that support the committee very well could be making wagers - ie inside trading. I don't know the name of a single person on the committee because I don't watch, follow or listen to the committee. So a person like Condoleeza Rice isn't going to be putting 10k on a Bama to win the title bet, but somebody, some clerk or some person in a position of knowledge might.

Back